WoW Downloading

djet

8 posts in this topic

Well after saying for a while I wouldn't..... I did. Some friends were getting together and I decided I would play a little with them so I started up the download and got one month going on my subscription. Then I got the download started and was sorta startled when I opened up the Connection Information and discovered that it looked like a torrent...... wtf? Blizzard torrenting! Well the DL sucks (hasn't gotten above 100mbs) which would be good for a torrent, but for a game download? Seems kinda odd.......

Maybe my ISP sucks that bad atm....

The reason they torrent it is so that they don't have to stream the files from their servers and run up huge costs on bandwidth.

Thats not really the reason, the majority (75-90%) of the bandwidth is coming from them.. but when you have 10 million users all connecting on patch day (tuesdays) to get a new 250M download, you can imagine that a couple of servers cant effectively host it.

So blizzard does use torrents, but only for the load balanncing they have thousands of 'seeding' servers all over the world (mostly in the US tho). It's been working great for all this time unless of course your ISP completely blocks torrents.

And for the record, their seeding servers are fast, I get over 2500K/sec when i use my seedbox to download large patches.

My ISP isn't horrible, but still averages of 25 kbs on the WoW download suggests that it is.....

Normally my latency is around 100 ms on WoW.

Okay I disabled P2P downloading and for some reason the download has jumped up to about 140 kbs..... yay..... that seems kinda counter intuitive though...

My ISP isn't horrible, but still averages of 25 kbs on the WoW download suggests that it is.....

Normally my latency is around 100 ms on WoW.

Okay I disabled P2P downloading and for some reason the download has jumped up to about 140 kbs..... yay..... that seems kinda counter intuitive though...

Your ISP is most likely throttling BitTorrent.