Time Machine or SuperDuper! Or, how to bootup in a crisis

pepechuelo79

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm very, very glad with my hackintosh.

It is working like a charm.

Now, I would like to put in action any backup system.

Time Machine has its pros and cons. As SuperDuper! does.

While I was evaluating the benefits of each one suddenly an idea crossed my mind: What will happen if the Mac boot disk doesn't bootup? How could I restore the system (the same system) that I had previous that hipotetical crisis?

If I have an external FireWire disk with a clone of my Mac bootup disk made by SuperDuper!, may I startup from that disk and restore the whole damaged system?

Or, is there any strategy to take control of such unfortunated event?

If my Hackintosh be a Mac I could startup from a FW external disk with a system in it. But, in a Hackintosh?

Meanwhile, I'm backingup with Time Machine (without any problem till now) and searching for another disk to clone my bootable disk with SuperDuper!

Oh! Data that could help to give an answer: Kalyway OS 10.5.1, GigaByte P35, Q6600, Sunix PCI FireWire 1394b Card.

Thanks

If you system does crash, you can boot from the install dvd to restore your system.

As for Time Machine and SuperDuper!, I suggest using them both. From what I've gathered, Time Machine, while capable of a system restore, is really more for restoring files and such while your computer is in working order.

SuperDuper! is a complete backup utility that you can boot from and also restore from while you've boot from your install disc.

As to which I'll restore from when I need to depends. But I think it's a good idea to have more than one back up strategy.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks mr.mcgoo,

Slowly I was arriving at the same idea.

Thanks again.

Plus, Time Machine and your SuperDuper backup can reside on the same partition. Very convenient.

I've used SuperDuper to upgrade hard disk capacity.

Although the copy worked flawlessly, there were some

other issues to get the new disk bootable.

You must test restore of your system image before you

rely on SuperDuper. That said, its a good product.

Although the copy worked flawlessly, there were some

other issues to get the new disk bootable.

Well, yeah. You're gonna have to install pc_efi on the new disk no matter what method you use. This has nothing to do with Superduper.

By following the directions that come with netkas pc_efi or by searching google for this well written guide:

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2520

You can then boot you backup by invoking "rd=diskXsX" at the darwin boot prompt (replace the X's with the disk and partition numbers for your backup)

Note: You only have to do this once, not every time you make a backup. Unless, of course, you reinitialize the disk which is unnecessary.