Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

Nice :)

I'm thinking of making a Boot-132 disc especially for Shuttle K45 and K48 machines. I've got my K45 running perfectly with Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4 now, so I know which kexts to use. It's using the Vanilla kernel, and reboot, shutdown, sleep, video, audio, all are working great. :)

(There is still some corruption visible while using MS Word, but I'm trying to fix that with different AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer kexts.)

Using the Boot-132 disc would make it almost similar to a real Mac Mini (with the correct SMBIOS edits) and give us the possibility to update it using Software Updater without any hassles. :)

Hi guys,

the Shuttle K48 is now available and based on the same motherboard like the K45. Additional is has DVI and a slot for a CDROM/DVD.

With a E7200 and Kalyway 10.5.2 it works out of the box without graphic fragments.

Bye

But isnt the k48 missing a PCI slot? so there is no room for expansion. I dont know why they got rid of that slot doesnt make since. To bad they put a PCI-E on it.. I still would rather have at least one slot to expand even if its just PCI.

But isnt the k48 missing a PCI slot? so there is no room for expansion. I dont know why they got rid of that slot doesnt make since. To bad they put a PCI-E on it.. I still would rather have at least one slot to expand even if its just PCI.

That is true. Also the Intel E8xxx line is not longer supported because of problems with the 1333 MHz. In older documents you will still find this as supported. I have 2 K45 in one the E8200 it works without problems in the other the OS hangs after a few minutes when prime95 is running. With the E7200 is is no problem.

bye

But that will no longer be necessary with the Boot-132 disc. :D

Unfortunately, my K45 came in DOA. I could not get it to post BIOS with an E2180. While I wait, I'm looking more into doing the install, but I'm not familiar with the Boot-132. What is that exactly, and what would that do to the K45? Does it actually flash the BIOS?

Will this then just work with off the shelf leopard and software updates?

Unfortunately, my K45 came in DOA. I could not get it to post BIOS with an E2180. While I wait, I'm looking more into doing the install, but I'm not familiar with the Boot-132. What is that exactly, and what would that do to the K45? Does it actually flash the BIOS?

Will this then just work with off the shelf leopard and software updates?

Boot-132 gives you the possibility to install Mac os x from the original "Retail" DVD.

The Bios will not be patched.

In Germany it is "legal" to install Mac OS X on non Mac hardware if you bought a retail version.

Background: The license agreement is not visible before you have bought the package.

For that reason the license agreement is not legally binding.

Here you can find how to install with BOOT-132: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...113288&st=0

Via USBStick: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115064

Goal is it to be able to update MAX OS X via the Apple downloads without any additional work.

I am not so familary with the details because I am noob regarding MAC OS X.

As I understud it is possible via Boot-132 and a retail version of MAC OS X.

Bye

can someone be so kind to post up the CPU, memory, video card, etc that was purchased to get their box working with OSX? using newegg

K48

Processor: Intel E7200 with boxed FAN

Memory: Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G

HDD: SATA 1x Samsung HD501LJ SATA

DVD: SATA 1x Samsung SH-S203D

Video card: ONBOARD Intel GMA950

Bluetooth: D-Link USB DBT-122

Keyboard & Mouse: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

K45

Processor: Intel Celeron 420 S with boxed FAN

Memory: Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G

HDD: SATA 1x Samsung HD501LJ SATA

Video card: ONBOARD Intel GMA950

Bluetooth: D-Link USB DBT-122

Keyboard & Mouse: Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse

Yeah, I used Netkas' instructions, just as I did with my P5WDH board. But that will no longer be necessary with the Boot-132 disc. :D

Hi MyAngry,

can you please post which kext you useed and which modifikation in the SMBIOS you did.

What I am using is:

Kalyway 10.5.2

Kernels-> Kernel_vanilla_92

Graphics_Drivers-> Intel_GMA-> GMA950

Audio_Drivers-> Intel NVIDIA VIA ATI HD Audio Controller

Network_Cards-> MarvellNetworkAdapter

Mobo_Chipsets -> AppleOnboardPCATA

Mobo_Chipsets -> AppleGenericPCATA

Thirds_Applications -> ALL

Patches -> Hardcoded_SMBIOS -> Lastnetkassmbios (because was preselected)

Patches -> PCGenUSB_Fix (because was preselected)

Patches -> TimeMachineFix

Problems:

Shudown sometimes does not work.

Sleep mode does not work in general.

Cheers

Installed using Boot-132 this weekend and a retail DVD. Got ethernet working by editing the Yukon2.kext inside of the IONetworkingFamily.kext and also sound through the Azalia (sp?) installer (only sound out but with working volume)

Has anyone gotten restart or sleep to work yet? I think restart can be fixed with more changes to the NIC kext as I see a WOL failure before the "MACH reboot" locks up.

out of curiosity what bios settings are you guys using for your ide/sata devices?

i'm currently getting the 'waiting for root device' if i try to boot from a sata dvd drive, i can hook up a ide dvd drive and boot into the kalyway 10.5.2 installation but when i head into disk utilities my sata hdd(western digital wd1600aajs) doesn't seem to show up

anyone else with a shuttle k45 having similar issues?

out of curiosity what bios settings are you guys using for your ide/sata devices?

i'm currently getting the 'waiting for root device' if i try to boot from a sata dvd drive, i can hook up a ide dvd drive and boot into the kalyway 10.5.2 installation but when i head into disk utilities my sata hdd(western digital wd1600aajs) doesn't seem to show up

Hi,

I use the default settings. No problems so far with SATA HDD and SATA DVD. Booting from the kalyway 10.5.2 the HDD is shown in the disk utilities.

Bye

Vindu,

What CPU are you using on your machine? I have found something very interesting on mine running an E6750. When first booting up, the machine said my CPU supported a 333mhz FSB, and to load the optimized defaults in bios, which I did. Sata was not working so I decided to reset the motherboard to factory settings by removing the CMOS battery and jumping the jumper to clear the memory. After this I booted up and choose not to load the defaults and behold, the SATA drives now work.

So I again loaded Optimized defaults and noticed SATA not working. Loaded defaults and set FSB to 333, otherwise my CPU boots up at 2.1ghz. Sata not working still. So it seems that when the FSB is set to anything over the default SATA stops working. I'd be curious to know what CPU your using.

Thanks,

Cody

Vindu,

What CPU are you using on your machine? I have found something very interesting on mine running an E6750. When first booting up, the machine said my CPU supported a 333mhz FSB, and to load the optimized defaults in bios, which I did. Sata was not working so I decided to reset the motherboard to factory settings by removing the CMOS battery and jumping the jumper to clear the memory. After this I booted up and choose not to load the defaults and behold, the SATA drives now work.

So I again loaded Optimized defaults and noticed SATA not working. Loaded defaults and set FSB to 333, otherwise my CPU boots up at 2.1ghz. Sata not working still. So it seems that when the FSB is set to anything over the default SATA stops working. I'd be curious to know what CPU your using.

Thanks,

Cody

1333MHz makes the trouble as already reported in this thread.

interesting, admittedly i've been running an e6400 at 333mhz fsb

will give the stock speed a go and see whether it'll run or not :) will report back soon hopefully

were you able to run your e6750 on 1333mhz fsb after installing osx to the hdd?

interesting, admittedly i've been running an e6400 at 333mhz fsb

will give the stock speed a go and see whether it'll run or not :unsure: will report back soon hopefully

were you able to run your e6750 on 1333mhz fsb after installing osx to the hdd?

I have a E8200 which also use 1333MHz and had the same problem. For that reason I bought a E7200. Check the shuttle support webpage. You will see that 1333MHz is not supported anymore.

out of curiosity what bios settings are you guys using

Limit CPUID Disabled (Edit: turns out the guy who coded the modified AppleSMBIOS tells you to disable it, I incorrectly had it enabled)

Force SATA II

FSB 266 (quad pumped equates to 1066mhz)

Multicore disabled (Personally I have issues with multicore and my E8500, I posted our latest BIOS in the other thread regarding BIOS mods to support multicore, perhaps that will bear fruit)

hmm...

I just finally got my K45 back from RMA, and this time it's working. I am, however, having a little bit of trouble with Kalyway 10.5.2. I'm able to boot from an IDE DVD, but I don't get very far. I'm getting a

"CODE SIGNING: cs_invalid_page: p=1[launchd] clearing CS_VALID"

Then it just sits there and does nothing. I don't see anything in that would be acting weird. I just have a 1G memory stick, 400g sata, DVD IDE, and an E2180 CPU. I've set the BIOS to optimal, and most anything I change makes no difference. I wonder if I need to update the BIOS.

In my previous experience, I only worked with 10.4.x and JaS, but most everyone in this thread seems to prefer Kalyway. I wonder if I'm doing something stupid.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

jrog

EDIT:

updated the bios, still have the same issue. If I put it to limit CPUID enabled, as suggested above, I just get a blinking cursor after the BIOS screen, and it doesn't boot at all. Should I be doing something specific on the Kalyway install command line? such as -v -x?

I threw in the Boot-132 disc, but after that loads, I can't get it to boot the leo DVD in the drive. I'm not sure what number to type in, but I tried just about everything and nothing happens. Maybe I need to edit the boot-132 disc. Not that familiar with it.

EDIT AGAIN:

I tried the JaS disk, same error message. I tried disconnecting my IDE DVD, and then using the USB DVD I have, and it won't get as far. I get a System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found.

I don't have a SATA DVD drive handy, but I'll try and borrow one.

just wanted to note something guys

you know how 333mhz fsb won't work? decided to throw it on 332mhz fsb and it seems to be running fine :)

jrog; try setting the bios to 'optimal' settings and reboot, see if you can boot up then

i was having a few troubles before letting the bios load optimal settings and it appears to be working now

edit; it appears it doesn't like running on 332mhz now, reboot and the screen just goes blank :D can go up to about 301mhz fsb but thats it

you know how 333mhz fsb won't work? decided to throw it on 332mhz fsb and it seems to be running fine :)

jrog; try setting the bios to 'optimal' settings and reboot, see if you can boot up then

i was having a few troubles before letting the bios load optimal settings and it appears to be working now

I was working on this, pulling my hair out, but now I'm running on my new K45! I grabbed a desktop IDE DVD drive, and it worked perfectly! I think that DVD Burner is getting tossed, but I'll have to get another laptop style drive to replace it. I'm open to suggestions...

Now, to update to 10.5.4, and/or figure out the boot-132 stuff.

:D

EDIT:

All updated to 10.5.4, and then I loaded the GMA950 kexts, and have resolution support again, but I seem to have lost quartz extreme support, and I can't reboot without having to pull the plug. So far, so good though, once I got a working DVD drive, it's actually pretty impressive.

Hi,

When I started with the K45 and the E8200 I found out that it is not stable solution in each K45. (Vista and prime95). One K45 crashes after a few seconds and the other runs stable for more than 2 days (I stopped the test) . So there is no gurantee that it works for all.

I opened a service call at Shuttle. Also some memory (in my case OCR which was listed at the shuttle compatibility page :-( ) had problems with this chipset. Check if the memory is 100% jdec conform (voltage) Result: It is not only the CPU.

edit; it appears it doesn't like running on 332mhz now, reboot and the screen just goes blank :( can go up to about 301mhz fsb but thats it

I also loaded the enhanced settings, but was able to set my FSB to 320. My E6750 is running at 3.55 instead of 3.67. That's acceptable and seems to be no performance loss.

Cody