All AHCI ports recognized on ICHx ! (yep in AHCI, not IDE)

91 posts in this topic

The topic says it all.

I just grabbed some kexts from new 10.5.2 from new macs (some kexts have been updated) and noticed the new AHCI kext gave me support for all my ICH9 ports in AHCI (I flashed my P5K with P5KR bios to have AHCI...) so if you don't wanna use IDE Enhanced + DuNe hacked IOATAFamily, here is a small pack with some updated kexts, including the 4 ports patched IOATA from DuNe if you still wanna use IDE.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mnbxlxtvib

Here you are, enjoy ! :)

EDIT : If you are running 10.5.3, these files are useless.

Can confirm it works. Switched to AHCI on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Rev. 1.0 and have all SATA-ports working in ACHI mode.

In the system profiler all my SATA ports are labeled "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" though.

/Cathul

Alright, well I screwed up now. I am still new to OSX and am still learning how to work with things like kext and the terminal and such. Apparently I screwed this up pretty well because now when the system boots I get to the gray screen with the apple logo and i get a circle with a slash through it and thats where it stays. Here is what I did:

I used a program included in the Kalyway distribution of leaopard called Kext Helper .7

I then dragged to it the AppleAHCIPort.kext file from this thread, put in my password and clicked easy install

It then seemed to install the kext, restarted the system and now i get jus the circle with a slash through it while it boots

What did I do wrong? Was I supposed to use more than just the AppleAHCIPort.kext file? Should I have done it some other way? And most importantly, how can i fix this now?? I know there was old files called AppleAHCIPort.kext in my root/Backups and root/Extension Backups folder. I also know I can get to the terminal by loading leopard with the -s command. So from here, how can I A. Get the system to boot again and B. Get this simple AHCI update installed correctly??

Sorry I made such an easy thing so complicated! Hopefully you guys can help me fix this!

- Mike

great find cyclonefr, now my p35-ds3l works with all 4 sata ports in ahci mode.

osxich9ahci.gif

thank you!

Can you tell me exactly what you did, all the steps and exactly what files / commands you used? I have the exact same board, and as you can see in my posts above i screwed it up royaly, lol. I tried using kextkelper and killed my system. I am new to OSX/Unix and am still trying to learn how and when to properly install kexts, set permissions and such. It would be greatly appreciated, I am sure it's really easy!

- Mike

Can you tell me exactly what you did, all the steps and exactly what files / commands you used? I have the exact same board, and as you can see in my posts above i screwed it up royaly, lol. I tried using kextkelper and killed my system. I am new to OSX/Unix and am still trying to learn how and when to properly install kexts, set permissions and such. It would be greatly appreciated, I am sure it's really easy!

- Mike

prior to this update i wasn't using ahci since i need all my drives - i used dune's ide mode drivers.

after i downloaded these files, i installed them with kext installer (all but AppleUSBAudio.kext, AppleUSBMultitouch.kext, and AppleUSBTopCase.kext as i have no need for them).

then i rebooted and changed sata mode to ahci in bios (with native mode enabled)

used -v and -f switches in darwin and osx booted with all drives.

dunno if that matters, but i still haven't installed security update and time machine update, so i'm still running netkas' 9.2.0 kernel.

Thanks man, I finally got my TimeMachine backup restored and the boot loader fixed, phew! After that I tried installing this and it worked fine. I think the problem when I originally did it was that I didn't know what kext files I needed so I only installed the AHCI kext and not the rest of them, this time I installed the same ones you did and now it all works fine.. w00t!

**Alright, I guess I am full of them lately, but here is my next question. How do I get my hard drive Icon to not be orange (like a removable drive) anymore after installing these files? I had a patch that fixed this issue, but the two main kexts from here (AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOACHIFamily.kext) replaced the ones that I had that were patched and fixed the orange drive issue. I also read that the drive thinking it's removable and being orange can cause problems.. what should I do?

You don't do anything : that so called fixed you install was an old kext taken from Tiger, that's all. It wasn't patched at all.

So if you want grey icons, just change your icons.

If you don't wanna eject, then don't click on eject, that's all

Nice finding cyclonefr !!!

Finally I got the 4 sata ports recognized on my DP965LT. May I ask you in which mac model did you find these newer kexts ?. Maybe there are other interesting drivers, for example the infamous 82566 LAN driver.

Cheers.

You don't do anything : that so called fixed you install was an old kext taken from Tiger, that's all. It wasn't patched at all.

So if you want grey icons, just change your icons.

If you don't wanna eject, then don't click on eject, that's all

Ok, thats fine then, I had just remember reading that ify our drives show up as orange and removable then that could cause some problems with the OS having access to files or something because it treats like a removable drive. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case!

- Mike

Thanks man, finally :angel:.

I also have a GA-P35-DS3L but my system profiler show as follows:

Could that be fixed somehow? Thanks in advance and thanks for sharing.

Yes, just read _this_ thread.

Yes, just read _this_ thread.

Yes Cathul, thats why i'm asking. I must be doing something wrong because thepunkerguy achieved it.

Could you, if its not such a problem, explain how to add that device id to appleahciport.kext? I opened info.plist but I cannt find a proper line to add that device id you pointed.

http://www.imgdash.com/uploads/528c11024c..png => I only see generic ahci, ich6, ich7, and ichmachi keys.

Thanks again.

thanks cyclonefr. It shows as ICH9 now.

Internal drives showed as External drives is just a cosmetic thing? Why the OS thinks its external? (I just dont care about the icon, just curious to know why). Thanks again cyclone, finally 4 ports in achi, very clever to check about new kexts on new systems.

Respect.

Unbelievable that you have made'em work! Good job Cyclonefr!

Now I've got 4 ich8 (no r) ports work so I can abandon the slow Jmc368.

Thank you sooooo much! You rock,man!!

The topic says it all.

I just grabbed some kexts from new 10.5.2 from new macs (some kexts have been updated) and noticed the new AHCI kext gave me support for all my ICH9 ports in AHCI (I flashed my P5K with P5KR bios to have AHCI...) so if you don't wanna use IDE Enhanced + DuNe hacked IOATAFamily, here is a small pack with some updated kexts, including the 4 ports patched IOATA from DuNe if you still wanna use IDE.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mnbxlxtvib

Here you are, enjoy ! :)

Thanx, man. It works with Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2. And if you add 0x28248086 into Info.plist, you get Intel ICH8-M AHCI in System Profiler instead of Unknown Standard AHCI Controller. However, the speed remains the same with or without pci id.

You can fix the orange drive icons easily.

Go to the extension directory for IOAHCIFamily. Inside you will find a plugin called IOAHCIBlockStorage. Edit this plist.

Search for IOAHCIDevice. After it you will want to insert:

<key>Physical Interconnect</key>
<string>SATA</string>
<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
<string>Internal</string>
<key>Protocol Characteristics</key>
<dict>
<key>Physical Interconnect</key>
<string>SATA</string>
<key>Physical Interconnect Location</key>
<string>Internal</string>
</dict>

This will fix the problem. Make sure you boot with either -f or touch /System/Library/Extensions