Is this normal?

dponmac

11 posts in this topic

OMG - it was only a question of time. If the Mac becomes more popular we'll certainly see more of these and Mac users tend to be complacent at best about malware. Anyone plugging directly into the internet these days is at risk, regardless of platform. Only one comment - firewall, firewall, firewall! Oh, all right, a second comment - why on earth do people execute attachments they get in emails? bash.gif

Edit - third comment - everyone should run Little Snitch or a similar OSX program to see what is trying to access the internet and stop it if appropriate.

Is there any good antivirus or firewall software that works on hackintoshes?

I guess I edited my post to add the Little Snitch comment just as you were posting, but I can recommend it. Also I use Symantec AV for virus protection. Unfortunately I have had real problems with Symantec's firewall product for OSX.

So do you guys think this is only the beginning? I'm really not surprised that this is starting to happen considering the intel switch. not because of the chipsets, just because of the OSx86 popularity. I bet the last 6 monthes have seen a large increase in the OS X community, legal copies or not..

At least most of these are pretty stupid. They can't even propagate on their own unless you run them. No platform is immune to a trojan like these.

But yeah, they'll probably get a little more common. Numbers don't mean anything though, Apache is much more widely installed than IIS, but it has less (serious at least) vulnerabilities.

This recent threats have been silly or just a prove of concept, and most of them are PPC only.

Nevertheless as popularity of OS X continues to grow, expect more threats coming along, so is good to always keep your eyes open for suspicious software, for example a widget asking for an administrator's password, or an app sent by a IM Buddy with a vague message. So do minimum security efforts like not using administrator accounts for everyday use, turn the firewall on, etc (applicable to all platforms)

Lets not forget that OS X IS MORE SECURE than windows it is more secure by DESING, by DEFAULT (a lot to work in this one from apple needs to be done, like not encouraging users to use administrative accounts, have the built in firewall on, etc) and more secure in DEPLOYMENT

I know that many (if not most) of the members of this forum already know this, and probably better than me. I hope this cleared a bit the mind of those who didn’t.

OK, putting things in perspective, the Oompa-Loompa Trojan is the first real virus/trojan/etc in the five years that OS X has been released. So while people need to be careful (as no OS is 100% secure), the pundits are overreacting.

In terms of virus scanning software, get ClamXAV. It works, it takes up little resources, and it detects Oompa-Loompa.

It maybe be the first virus in 5 years, but the Mac community 5 years ago is nothing compared to what it is now. IMO, hackers seem to be trying harder to find faults in OS X, they just found a security hole in safari yesterday..

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?N...age=1&pagePos=2

And some more flaws:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=9575&hl=