My nearly finished Hack the Tosh

Baudouin

145 posts in this topic

oh wow its just 2 molex cable, thanks gonna make a new diagram

post-114885-1219384672_thumb.jpg

check it out to see if its fine or any errors mistakes and such

Perfect !!

Some details:

1. Just show above the plastic piece which block the plug onto the mobo to indicate up and down.

2. If two four wires square plugs are used they will fit and will block as I did :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/uploads/month...09252_thumb.jpg

added a couple tweaks and your suggestions

post-114885-1219435269_thumb.jpg

No no amantheboy, you will shortcircuit the HDD's and the DVD.

One ATX plug can be used as is but the other one must be changed into black and red (5V).

Some mod will be needed too, I forgot to mention, because the plug has rond and square holes which won't match the 8 wires plug holes.

Just add another draw on the diagr with black and red and it will perfect. And set the 8 wires draw as before, twice yellow, black, black, red. :D

Sorry for the confusion. And people, always test before use with a simple fan with black and volt wires connected to the P3 molex connector to control if the 12V and the 5V are connected at the right place before connecting anything, HDD or DVD.

Edit 25/08/08 :

Interessing comments from TorqueX86 : post 50

I tried his method with and old PSU plug; the PSU wires have to be replaced of course :

img5397my9.jpg

oh ok i got it

like this ?

post-114885-1219445570_thumb.jpg

Yeeesss ; That's nearly perfect!! :)

I've just noticed that the ATX plugs are not well oriented. They must match the 8 wires plug. So the piece of plastic which maintain the plugs together must be oriented above, what means the colors must match too.

I will take the time tomorrow to photograh better my plugs and upload them.

External panel in two pieces is attached onto the frame, apple logo draw on paper painted in grey to visualize the mesh panel. Will add comments and pictures on aqua-mac.com and paste here later...

Update done reply 41 @ http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=469&page=3

comments and pics follow on this forum

Edit 23/08/08 10.20 PM (Brussels time), Some pics :

view of he case with the door panel attached and closed (divided in two parts, the tiny linear mark at the bottom is the separation line) :

img5385qk4.jpg

pics of opening of the acryl door panel (notice that the bottom part of the acrylic panel visible on the previous pix has been removed to free the space needed for the movement of the opening door)

img5394aw8.jpg

img5393zi5.jpg

img5391no4.jpg

img5390et8.jpg

the door is completely open:

img5389og4.jpg

view with case lying on the side panel and open door from the inside :

img5386jq7.jpg

view with case lying on the side panel and open door from the outside :

img5388ha4.jpg

I cut the apple logo (four different sheets) on paper and pin on the wall to visualize the opening I will make on the mesh panel to cover the edges of the external acryl panel.

img5379xh3.jpg

img5378yl8.jpg

This is the one I will use, maybe a little wider on the right side?

img5382qv3.jpg

Here are the pics :

The plug is positionned like this, plastic piece above

img5400ns7.jpg

the two ATX modded plugs : yellow, black, black, red. I left the original wires and just soldered wires with the right colors to the molex from the PSU :

IMG_5404.jpg

Of course on this view, the plugs are reversed : red, black, black, yellow

IMG_5406.jpg

Have just added some lights inside the apple logo in 3D. :D Not bad specially with the door covered up. Still have to organize the 5 blue lights correctly. Pics follow...

The pictures are here :

post-101875-1219761646_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1219761664_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1219761709_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1219761694_thumb.jpg

Edit : there are seven leds now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not yet connect the G5 Laing pump. But have found this picture . You can see that the external is black (neutral) and the second beside is yellow thus 12 V . I guess the third has to be RPM and the fourth or 12V or black. I would test first just the two external wires; black and yellow and if nothing happens then the fourth with 12 V and if necessary with black.

If someone has already done this, lease report it . I will give a try tomorrow. First prepare some wires to connect the pump to a molex plug.

Have connected the fourth (black) and third yellow 12V) wires. It works because the pump become warm but I heard no noise. Is this pump so still ? Have to connect to the liquid circuit to see if it is actually working.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are interessed in the Apple sata power connection :

If you take a colored sata power cable, the yellow will be on the 90° side of the plug and then black, red, black.

img5429te9.jpg

If you use a cable converter sata power plug to molex plug, you will see that the yellow cable is straight connected and the others are crossed because on the side of the molex, there are yellow, black, black, red.

img5431iq4.jpg

The Apple sata power is organised like a cable converter sata power plug to molex plug.

So yellow, black, red, black on the Sata HDD side and

yellow, black, black, red on the Mobo side.

img5432em3.jpg

Top of pix, sata HDD side : yellow, black, red, black

Bottom of the pix, 4 pins Mobo side : yellow, black, black, red

The labelled wire is the yellow/12V.

Thanks for the link and for reading the thread through.

In fact some years ago, five or more, my sons were playing Counter Strike and the yongest bought a shuttle PC with his Lan Party prizes and I started to fantasize to rebuild a Cube inside the Shuttle case. I still have one working Cube and parts to complete two others. Now that the Intel Proc are used inside the Macs, I am thinking about a HackingCube. But finish this Hack first, lot of work to do...But I will later build a HackingCube.

For those who are interessed in the Apple sata power connection :

If you take a colored sata power cable, the yellow will be on the 90° side of the plug and then black, red, black.

\

If you use a cable converter sata power plug to molex plug, you will see that the yellow cable is straight connected and the others are crossed because on the side of the molex, there are yellow, black, black, red.

\

The Apple sata power is organised like a cable converter sata power plug to molex plug. The labelled wire is the yellow-12V

img5432em3.jpg

Oh Ok, So I think I know what you mean

So A regular Sata Cable is Yellow. Black. Red. Black.

And a Sata Cable to Molex would be Yellow. Black. Black. Red.

And A Apple Sata would be the same as the molex converter Yellow. Black. Black. Red.

You nearly got it amantheboy :

"Oh Ok, So I think I know what you mean

So A regular Sata Cable is Yellow. Black. Red. Black." At the Sata side

"And a Sata Cable to Molex would be Yellow. Black. Black. Red." At the Molex side

"And A Apple Sata would be the same as the molex converter Yellow. Black. Black. Red."

At the 4 pins Mobo side

and Yellow. Black. Red. Black at the Sata side

I will upload another pix with the wires close from each other so it easier to see the difference. ;)

Edit : here is the pix :

img5434lv9.jpg

As you see, it does not matter Apple or Original Sata or mod Sata cable, the connections should be always :

Yellow, Black, Black, Red on the molex side and

Yellow, Black, Red, Black on the Sata side.

I edit the previous pix :

The Apple sata power is organised like a cable converter sata power plug to molex plug.

So yellow, black, red, black on the Sata HDD side and

yellow, black, black, red on the Mobo plug side.

img5432em3.jpg

Top of pix, sata HDD side : yellow, black, red, black

Bottom of the pix, 4 pins Mobo side : yellow, black, black, red

The labelled wire is the yellow/12V.

• 2 months later...
the only thing i dont like is how the G4 door(obv) doesnt cover the entire opening. leaving the top shelf and the corners visible. take the original G5 door. cut a hole in it the size of the G4 door. put them toogether. and make it motorize out. that. would be an amazing mod.

I heard you HacOSXuser, I am cutting a hole inside the G5 door of the size of the Apple logo and will insert a piece of acrylic panel, maybe coming a little bit on the outside as the G4 door was not flat but a little convexe; and the original door will be attached to the mobo plate, they will then move together.

No worries, it will take what it takes but it will be done.

In the meantime, some on going pix:

From where we ended :

post-101875-1229297479_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1229297520_thumb.jpg

we are going to here :

just sprayed a chrome watercolored paint onto the acrylic panel

post-101875-1229295966_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1229295995_thumb.jpg

view from the inside, showing the attached opening system frame :

post-101875-1229298050_thumb.jpg

and to here :

3 days to draw the apple logo onto the original G5 door, first centered with the apple on the door and then with the 3 D apple inside :

post-101875-1229296026_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1229296046_thumb.jpg

because this one is in the middle of the mobo tray :

post-101875-1229297870_thumb.jpg

Cutting has started, already used three blades, have to buy some more on monday...

post-101875-1229296813_thumb.jpg

post-101875-1229296823_thumb.jpg