Leopard on Powerbook G4

Nights and Dreams

17 posts in this topic

I know all the specifications, requirements, and whatnot and so forth. I just want to know if anyone knows a way to do it. I have a Powerbook G4 Titanium. With DVI. *whoo* There's a program called LeopardAssist, but our little G4 is unsupported. Does anyone know a way to fool the installer to look past the low-end processor speed and install the system?

And before anyone asks, yeah, my copy is legal. I love staring at the box e.e

The computer itself has 768 MB, a DVD slot drive, and the ATI card with 32 MB VRAM. If that helps

If not, thanks for your time!

• 2 weeks later...

For those with 667Mhz PowerBooks (Or possibly other Macs that don't work with LeopardAssist):

1.) Place the 10.5 Install disk in your drive.

2.) Restart your Mac (don't use on the installer on the disk)

3.) After the chime, hold down COMMAND+OPTION+O+F until you see a light gray screen with black text

4.) let go of the keys and type in the following commands EXACTLY as shown, and hit the RETURN key after each line (you will see an "ok" confirming what you typed was correct):

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0

d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property

d# 867000000 encode-int " min-clock-frequency" property

d# 867000000 encode-int " max-clock-frequency" property

multi-boot

Select Leopard Install DVD

I have a PowerBook G4 Titanium 500 that I hooked up to my PowerBook G4 1500 in Firewire Disk mode and installed. I did this after my 10.4 HD format became corrupt and wanted to have the Leopard features.

The biggest problem I have found is the video driver. It has a ATI RageM3 video chip with only 8MB and Core Image runs in software mode. Because of this screen savers except the basics like computer name do not work (say unsupported or crash) and video playback is choppy. Video playback was fine with 10.4.x and earlier and the Screen Savers worked also.

Basically more intense graphics activities that use Core Image can be slow or choke. Does anyone know of a hack to fix this? (revert to 10.4 graphics, edit plist, etc.)

Wanted to add that it's running 10.5.2 and software updates work flawlessly. Also has 768 MB of RAM and Asante FriendlyNET AeroLAN-XG card that uses same Broadcom chip as Apple and is treated like an Apple Airport 802.11g card.

• 2 weeks later...
For those with 667Mhz PowerBooks (Or possibly other Macs that don't work with LeopardAssist):

3.) After the chime, hold down COMMAND+OPTION+O+F until you see a light gray screen with black text

4.) let go of the keys and type in the following commands EXACTLY as shown, and hit the RETURN key after each line (you will see an "ok" confirming what you typed was correct):

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0

multi-boot

Bingo! Couldn't get LeopardAssist to work on my PowerBook G4 (800MHz), but this pushed it through. A couple more hours of loading and I expect to be good. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0

multi-boot

I have been beating my head against the wall about this but luckily only for about 2 hours today, LOL! I read about this little fakeout prior to today, when I actually decided to try to install on my G4 Silver w/PPC@500mhz & 1GB/RAM & an old ass ATI Rage128 w/32mb, yikes!

At the present, it is at almost one 3rd done. Thanks very much. It works perfectly with no hitches. ;) ty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Ok so this is an old thread, but I seemed to be getting the same issue. I'm in specs 1.25ghz, 512, over 60gb free. I tried the steps listed but I'm still getting the same error, it begins to load then says can't install on this machine after picking the language.

any ideas? I'm new to macs, i got this as a learning experience until i convince the wife we need a new one

Thanks,

Ok so this is an old thread, but I seemed to be getting the same issue. I'm in specs 1.25ghz, 512, over 60gb free. I tried the steps listed but I'm still getting the same error, it begins to load then says can't install on this machine after picking the language.

any ideas? I'm new to macs, i got this as a learning experience until i convince the wife we need a new one

Thanks,

Leopard minimum specification is 867mhz and you have 1.25ghz :thumbsup_anim:

• 8 months later...

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0

multi-boot

Holy Scmoly!!! RDemby - you are definitely a genious!

How the "Antoine Fuqua" you guys know these things??

great, worked for me like a charm

There's a way to do it without going into Open Firmware and instead going in via the xar command. It involves using Fink or MacPorts to download the xar package and hacking the install file to make any G4 work.

Of course I hacked and posted it...er...the hacked file needed somehow made it to Demonoid, but since it's currently shut down...

• 1 month later...
There's a way to do it without going into Open Firmware and instead going in via the xar command. It involves using Fink or MacPorts to download the xar package and hacking the install file to make any G4 work.

Of course I hacked and posted it...er...the hacked file needed somehow made it to Demonoid, but since it's currently shut down...

Howdy Moose Tracks,

wondered if you could help me by posting your solution to the problem again. I've got Macports but don't know how to get any further. Thanks in advance. Schizzo P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello

I have a PB G4 processor 1.67mhz

1Gb RAM.

I followed the tutorials to boot from the usb, command + alt + o + f and the other is command + alt + f + f to enter the open firmware and thus modify the startup but nothing happens to want to go that way.

The memory is partitioned so you can boot mac.

The disc drive does not work, so I can not install from disk.

Any recommendations?

• 3 years later...
Good morning, 

I recovered my old and wonderful macmini where I installed the image file of Leopard 10.5.6 patched to support my version as with less then 800mhz but I don't know the reason it start only in Safe mode. 

My version is equipped with the radeon graphic card and how can I know with xkext is making issue? 

There is a way to boot the machine only with the standard set of Leopard extension? I ran also the or update and after that my ppc didn't start anymore. 

Thanks