• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

The two Mac Pros I am buying will be upgraded for 2x 3.2 GHz Harpertowns with AppleCare and then upgraded with 12GB of ram, 3TB of storage, and a compatible raid card (for each) from Newegg. Add in 4x Dell 3007wfp-hc monitors at the total comes to: $16,270.
I got that by doubling the total of these numbers:

~4,400 for each Pro
~250 for AppleCare
~540 for 6x 2GB FB-DIMMs
~620 for 4x 750GB hdds
~225 for RocketRaid card
~2100 for 2x 3007WFP-HCs

I could build the workstations myself, but the only place I'd save money would be (at most) a few grand on the actual Mac Pro, but if you're going to spend this much money anyways why skimp out of a few hundred extra bucks to get the full system?

In one sentence you said "save a few grand" and in the next sentence you said "why skimp for a few hundred extra" a "few grand" is a lot more than a "few hundred".

That being said,
If I were acquiring equipment for mission critical applications or work flow, I don't think I would consider a hackintosh at all, the cost is far too high to build an 8 core machine that you would have to "tinker" with all the time or even be faced with the possibility of having to "tinker" with it at all.
I would evaluate the cost vs. ability elements and buy accordingly.

However, now that I have had this 8 core hackintosh up and running for a few days testing out it's usability as an NLE, I am incredibly impressed so far.
Everything seems to work just fine, it now shuts down perfectly, sleeps perfectly, time machine works perfectly and I have not had one single problem with any of the core applications I work with on a regular basis.
But since the build is less than a week old, I cant possibly conclude that it is a reliable, stable workstation platform.

I do love it, don't get me wrong.

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Back to discussing about an 8-Core motherboard, I've just learned (I think, might've mentioned it before) that the latest Mac Pro update (early 2008), its' motherboard uses an Intel 5400 chipset (Thanks Nagal for the info)

For starters, here's a few:
http://www.newegg.co...name=Intel 5400

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
So here is an Intel 5400 chipset solution for an 8-Core motherboard:

Posted Image

Prodcut:
TYAN Tempest i5400XL (S5392)

Product Site:

http://www.tyan.com/...il.aspx?pid=564

Price Range:
Roughly around $400 at most retailers

Key Factors:
After doing some reaseach, It's in CEB Form Factor, 12" x 10.5" < Will fit in most ATX Cases, however, CEB may require a proprietary PSU. My case for example, is the Lian Li PC-A10B, its motherboard tray has width up to 11.5" (with extra room of ODDs)
- Also, an x16 and x8 pci-express slot!

Specifications:
Processor
• Dual LGA771 sockets
• Supports up to two Intel® Xeon® Woodcrest
Processors( 5000/5100 Series Dualcore);
Clovertown Processors (5300 Series, Quadcore);
Wolfdale-DP Processors (45nm, dual-core);
Harpertown Processors (45nm, quad-core)
• 1.33 / 1.06GHz FSB
• VRD 11.0

Chipset
• Intel 5400 MCH + 6321ESB chipset
• Support for 1.33 / 1.06GHz FSB
• Winbond W83627EHG Super I/O Chip

Memory
• Four 240-pin DDR2 FBDIMM sockets
• Four memory channels
• Supports ECC DIMMs
• Maximum of 32/16 GB DDR2-533/667

Expansion Slots
• Two (2) PCI Express x16 slots
– from MCH (PCI-E Gen2)
• One (1) PCI Express x8 slot
– X8 signal from 6321ESB
• Two (2) PCI-X 133/100MHz slots from 6321ESB
• One (1) PCI 32-bit 33MHz slot
• Total six (6) expansion slots

Integrated I/O Interface
• One 9-pin 16550 UART serial port (header)
• One LPT Header
• Four USB 2.0 ports (via two headers)
• Six Standard/integrated SATA2 connectors
• One IDE and one Floppy connectors
• One 4-pin CD-in header and one 4-pin Aux
header
• One 9-pin front panel audio header

Back Panel I/O ports
• Stacked PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors
• Stacked (2)USB 2.0 ports
• One Serial port
• One SPDIF in /out
• Stacked USB 2.0 (2) and RJ-45 (1) connectors
• Stacked Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in audio
connectors

System Management
• ADI Hardware Monitor w/ PECI circuit
• CPU thermal & voltage monitor support
• Five (5) fan headers (4-pin configuration)

Power

• EPS12V/SSI (24+8+4 pin) power connectors

Integrated LAN Controllers
• Intel GbE from 6321ESB (single port "Gilgal"
82564)
• One RJ-45 ports with LED

Integrated Audio
• HDA link
• RealTek ALC888 controller (High Definition
Audio)
• Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in rear ports
• Front panel audio header
• CD-in, Aux headers (4-pin configuration)

Integrated Serial ATA II
• Six (6) SATA-II ports
• 3.0 Gb/s per port
• RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 support in Windows

Server Management
Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) from
daughter card M3291
• Tailored for IPMI 2.0 specification
• Supports remote power on/off and reset
(IPMIover-LAN)
• Server Management Daughter card via built-in
2x25 header

Trusted Platform Management (TPM)
• Infineon SLB9635TT 1.2

BIOS
• PhoenixBIOS® on 8Mbit Flash ROM
• Support APM 1.2, ACPI 2.0
• Serial Console Redirect
• PXE via Ethernet, USB device boot
• PnP, DMI 2.0, WfM 2.0 Power Management
• User-configurable H/W monitoring
• Auto-configuration of hard disk types
• Multiple boot options
• 48-bit LBA support

Form Factor
• CEB (12" x 10.5")

Regulatory
• FCC Class B (DoC)
• European Community CE (DoC)

I feel like I've taken over this thread :D sorry

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Ok,
Well it has been a couple of weeks now since I committed my Octa to Hackintosh.
This system is 100% FLAWLESS so far, I upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM that I just installed today, I also used netkas method of fixing my video card so that it shows and probably now uses the entire 640MB of ram onboard, I have been using Final Cut S2 for the entire time and I have ZERO problems.
Adding the memory and NVinject updated kexts, and fixing the VRAM hook yielded a MAJOR boost in benchmark results which are now at 7249 (geekbench), everything else is absolutely perfect so far and I am really happy that I did this.

I would imagine that you can build a similar system for less than you think as the new Intel 5400 chipset is out now which should bring the cost of this i5000 chipset based board down considerably.

Yes it would be nice to have the new penryn, and yes it would be nice to have the newer chipset, but this thing works 100%, and until I see a MAJOR difference in rendering speed between my system and someone elses, this will remain as the coolest thing I have done in my computing career so far.

Let me know if you guys need any information from me.
I say build one.

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Ok,
Well it has been a couple of weeks now since I committed my Octa to Hackintosh.
This system is 100% FLAWLESS so far, I upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM that I just installed today, I also used netkas method of fixing my video card so that it shows and probably now uses the entire 640MB of ram onboard, I have been using Final Cut S2 for the entire time and I have ZERO problems.
Adding the memory and NVinject updated kexts, and fixing the VRAM hook yielded a MAJOR boost in benchmark results which are now at 7249 (geekbench), everything else is absolutely perfect so far and I am really happy that I did this.

I would imagine that you can build a similar system for less than you think as the new Intel 5400 chipset is out now which should bring the cost of this i5000 chipset based board down considerably.

Yes it would be nice to have the new penryn, and yes it would be nice to have the newer chipset, but this thing works 100%, and until I see a MAJOR difference in rendering speed between my system and someone elses, this will remain as the coolest thing I have done in my computing career so far.

Let me know if you guys need any information from me.
I say build one.

Gosh, do you really have to tempt me?!?! :rolleyes: I already told myself during the past few weeks of silence in this thread to not drop the ball ona Dual-Socket, OCTOCORE. grr...now i'm back to the drawing board. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation and reassurance, and the ZERO problem reply. It really makes it so much more tempting...y'kno that feeling?

BTW: Awesome GeekBench results! Is everything included in your SIG? ANd what what the total cost of it all?

Is this your motherboard with blue-dye (kind of like the mac pro logic motherboard)? http://www.phoronix....5000xl_mobo_lrg

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Heya Gramarye,
let me take it a step further for you.

I just got finished installing the 10.5.2 update and everything still works perfectly, I also installed the additional graphics update and it works perfectly as well!

My geekbench scores are up to 7279 now which is a slight increase, however I think thats because in profiler it still shows the NVinject 0.2.1, so I may have missed something there, I am not sure if any of the release drivers are actually working or not?

I am lost there and will need to do some more reading, but yes everything workls still, my pro apps are still fine after the update.

The only thing not working now is my PS-2 keyboard, so I am typing this from a USB keyboard, other than that it is still flawless.

That picture you posted is NOT my motherboard.

This one is:Click This for Pic

Also YES everything I have is listed in my signature, and as afar as costs are concerned, thats a tough one.
I paid $500.00 for the mobo about 6 months ago, I paid well over $400.00 for 4 gigs of FB Ram, I paid over $400.00 for the video card, and the processors were close to $1000.00 each when I got them, the Antec case was about $300.00 with the dual PSU's which total 1200 watts combined but this case is so well worth the money as it has a large 200mm fan on the side cover which is silent and blows air directly on the entire mobo, it also has (2) 150mm fans on the top of the chassis which draw air into the case and it has (2) 120mm fans on the rear of the case for removing air, all of the fans have a 3 speed switch on them and I run all fans on low, finally it has a 120mm fan that draws air in directly in front of the hard drive cage as well as a 120mm fan which blows air over the PSU's.
It is by far the best case I have ever seen anywhere and was easily the best money I have spent.

Keep in mind I have a dual opteron system sitting next to me as well that I also put into one of these chassis so that should say something about the build quality.

So far this is one hell of a system, I imagine I have well over $4000.00 into it but I still think that you can build one for way less than I did now that the newer stuff is out.

One last thing,
This Antec P-190/1200 chassis allows you to power the motherboard, DVD drives, and hard drives off one of the PSU's and ALL of the fans and video cards off of a separate PSU, the PSU's are linked with a special cable which is supplied, and the cable management is the most superior cable management I have seen to date......and I build a LOT of computers.

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Heya Gramarye,
let me take it a step further for you.

I just got finished installing the 10.5.2 update and everything still works perfectly, I also installed the additional graphics update and it works perfectly as well!

My geekbench scores are up to 7279 now which is a slight increase, however I think thats because in profiler it still shows the NVinject 0.2.1, so I may have missed something there, I am not sure if any of the release drivers are actually working or not?

I am lost there and will need to do some more reading, but yes everything workls still, my pro apps are still fine after the update.

The only thing not working now is my PS-2 keyboard, so I am typing this from a USB keyboard, other than that it is still flawless.

That picture you posted is NOT my motherboard.

This one is:Click This for Pic

Also YES everything I have is listed in my signature, and as afar as costs are concerned, thats a tough one.
I paid $500.00 for the mobo about 6 months ago, I paid well over $400.00 for 4 gigs of FB Ram, I paid over $400.00 for the video card, and the processors were close to $1000.00 each when I got them, the Antec case was about $300.00 with the dual PSU's which total 1200 watts combined but this case is so well worth the money as it has a large 200mm fan on the side cover which is silent and blows air directly on the entire mobo, it also has (2) 150mm fans on the top of the chassis which draw air into the case and it has (2) 120mm fans on the rear of the case for removing air, all of the fans have a 3 speed switch on them and I run all fans on low, finally it has a 120mm fan that draws air in directly in front of the hard drive cage as well as a 120mm fan which blows air over the PSU's.
It is by far the best case I have ever seen anywhere and was easily the best money I have spent.

Keep in mind I have a dual opteron system sitting next to me as well that I also put into one of these chassis so that should say something about the build quality.

So far this is one hell of a system, I imagine I have well over $4000.00 into it but I still think that you can build one for way less than I did now that the newer stuff is out.

One last thing,
This Antec P-190/1200 chassis allows you to power the motherboard, DVD drives, and hard drives off one of the PSU's and ALL of the fans and video cards off of a separate PSU, the PSU's are linked with a special cable which is supplied, and the cable management is the most superior cable management I have seen to date......and I build a LOT of computers.

The image you posted doesn't seem to work, but i'll assume it's either yellowish colored dye or the green one. I got the image from what I've googled which lead to this result: http://www.phoronix....i...m=490&num=1
Your sig says, Tyan S2692, then I've realized there are several models and revisions with that number.

The Antec P-190 is a nice chassis, and the biggest feature to me is the E-ATX capabilities. However, I've settled for the Lian Li PC-A10B, which also has chamber managing system like P-190 and has Dual-PSUs as well: http://www.lian-li.c...p...ex=4&type=b
(With the 7 Drive Bays, I hope to achieve a Media Duplication system along with my Video Production Workstation. Its ATX motherboard tray allows enough room for a CEB 12" x 10.5", eventhough it can go up to 12" x 11.5" with still enough clearance)

It has pretty much everything I wanted, except the E-ATX capabilities, but there is a similar model that has it, and is quite a bit bigger: http://www.lian-li.c...p...&ss_index=8

Anyway, thanks for sharing your marvelous setup, and it gives much hope of success in the build process. That is great Geekbench score as well.

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi Gramayre

In my signature I have the motherboard listed as the Tyan S2696 not the S2692
Mine is DEFINITELY the S2696.
I pulled that image frmo Tyans site and hosted it on my website so you can see it below.

Enjoy!, I hope you take the plunge and build one up.! :angel:

Just remember this and notice the holes where you mount the CPU coolers that the Xeon processors use a completely different style of HSF's

You should make sure that you get the factory Intel Xeon HSF's with your proc's as NONE of the conventional C2D style (socket 775) aftermarket HSF's will work.

There are a few companies that make water blocks for Socket 771 and my next step with this system is completely silent via H2o.

One last thing my friend, if you are going to pull the trigger and build one of these I would be happy to talk with you on the phone, PM me if you want to exchange numbers and give me a call!

Posted Image

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Hi Gramayre

In my signature I have the motherboard listed as the Tyan S2696 not the S2692
Mine is DEFINITELY the S2696.
I pulled that image frmo Tyans site and hosted it on my website so you can see it below.

Enjoy!, I hope you take the plunge and build one up.! :)

Just remember this and notice the holes where you mount the CPU coolers that the Xeon processors use a completely different style of HSF's

You should make sure that you get the factory Intel Xeon HSF's with your proc's as NONE of the conventional C2D style (socket 775) aftermarket HSF's will work.

There are a few companies that make water blocks for Socket 771 and my next step with this system is completely silent via H2o.

One last thing my friend, if you are going to pull the trigger and build one of these I would be happy to talk with you on the phone, PM me if you want to exchange numbers and give me a call!

You are too kind! Your wonderful build and your offer of help and support has only gave me more hope and confidence in starting this project. I've been keeping up with this thread along with others for awhile, and have made quite a bit of research. But, my knowledge of everything would not go as far if it weren't for users like you contributing your experiences and being so kind with support. Your help has only encouraged me to perservere at this project more and more than before. Thank you for this.

You've mentioned about HSF for each XEON cpu. Yes, I agree, I'd rather have the Retail kit (or Intel OEM) of each Xeon processor, so they come with the HSF, but for Xeons, they're hard to come by, since they're vastly sold in the OEM majority. If I could find some Retail versions of the Xeon processors, I would go with it, if not, I have found some alternatives. Thanks to the "Building a Mac Pro" thread, I've learned about these 3rd party Thermalrights that work quite well, this may interest you or others, and can be found here:
http://www.sidewinde...hrforinxe5.html

I have never really tried any 3rd Party brand yet for anything, meaning, I've always used whatever was stock, for example, my CPU was an intel Retail kit, and I've been using the stock cooler, as well as my video card, it is an OEM from NVidia, so I usually try to stay that way, however, I've heard great reviews and words about Thermalright, and have only heard beneficial results. Anyway, it's great to deam about this, Let's hope it comes to reality one day. :censored2:

By the way, Your board is a beauty, my apologies for reading your sig wrong. (The numbers are pretty close!) I've seen Tempest i5000XT in the greenish-yellowish fade dye in almost every site. The blue one you have looks very nice, and I'd have to admit I admire that one a lot. It even has SAS capabilities. I'm about to spend around $400 for a SAS Controller...I've reallized I minus well spend sub-$400 (can be had for even $350ish) on an 8-Core server motherboard (like the Tempest i5000XT (S2696), or maybe even Supermicro X7DAL-E+ ). Too bad, I'd still have to invest in processors though, and the final cost my be pushing it close. Anyway, we'll see, a part of me still feels like the new Octo-Mac Pros are more affordable now...which makes those even more tempting :\

One more thing, like I've just recently mention in the Mac Pro thread, Kingston is having their own sale right now, if you have happen to be interseted in some FB-DIMMS for a pretty awesome price: $330 for 8gb set (2 x 4gb modules), that makes a 4gb stick for $165! [http://shop.kingston...667D2Q8F5K2/8G]

Let's keep this thread alive! :)

crackintosh

crackintosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
hmmm the tyan tempest looks interesting........looks like it doesnt have firewire but gigabit ethernet, ALC888, x16 slot, SPDIF. only 6 PCI-E/PCI slots but thats not the end of the world. i wonder if tyan or supermicro will be comin out with any new octo mobos?

im wonderin if a system with dual E5405 or 5410 would be a good investment over a Q9450 all other specs equal. the motherboard is a lot more and FBDIMM RAM is expensive. will there be problems with certain video cards?

theres some Q6600s (overclocked) scorin in the 9000 range on geekbench.......how overclockable are xeons? i figure a Q9450 might come close to lower end mac pros in a lot of benchmarks

what about this mobo?

http://www.supermicr...400/X7DWA-N.cfm

has 7 expansion slots, dual gigabit, 2 firewire ports, ALC883

also of note, future quad-core xeons:

"Yorkfield" (45 nm)
Model Number sSpec Number Frequency L2-Cache Front Side Bus Mult Voltage TDP Socket Release Date Part Number(s) Release Price (USD)
Quad-Core Xeon X3320
2500 MHz 2 × 3072 KiB 1333 MT/s 7.5x
95 W LGA 775 Q1 2008
$266
Quad-Core Xeon X3350
2667 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 8x
95 W LGA 775 Q1 2008
$316
Quad-Core Xeon X3360
2833 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 8.5x
95 W LGA 775 Q1 2008
$530

"Harpertown" (low-voltage, 45 nm)
Model Number sSpec Number Frequency L2-Cache Front Side Bus Mult Voltage TDP Socket Release Date Part Number(s) Release Price (USD)

Quad-Core Xeon L5410
2333 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 7x
50 W LGA 771 January 2008
$320
Quad-Core Xeon L5420
2500 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 7.5x
50 W LGA 771 January 2008
$380
Quad-Core Xeon L5430
2667 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 8x
50 W LGA 771 Q1 2008
$519

i dont think any of those are out yet

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

One more thing, like I've just recently mention in the Mac Pro thread, Kingston is having their own sale right now, if you have happen to be interseted in some FB-DIMMS for a pretty awesome price: $330 for 8gb set (2 x 4gb modules), that makes a 4gb stick for $165! [http://shop.kingston...667D2Q8F5K2/8G]

Let's keep this thread alive! :)

Thanks a lot for that info about the RAM Gramayre, I just purchased 4 more gigs for mine and I wanted to get the exact same stuff that I already had.
My system can take up to 32 gigs, but since I already had 4x1 gig modules, I went with 4 more of the exact same thing.
My system with 8 gigs seems to be pretty damn good at this point, and in Final Cut it seems to have made things a lot more snappy which is nice.

Crackintosh,

The Xeons are not very overclockable, there was a utility that I used while booted in Windows that allaowed for minor overclocking but the bios on these Xeon based boards are really not made for overclocking.
I have had 3 different boards with these processors in the short time I have had this system and I really like the Tyan the best, I had an Intel board when I first built the system but thought it was pretty weak, and when I was taking the system apart I dropped a screwdriver onto one of the processor sockets and bent the {censored} out of about 20 of the little pins that make contact with the processor effectively ruining a $500.00 board, that was a painful lesson.

I also have had 2 different SuperMicro boards in 2 different builds and I like SuperMicro quality, I think I mentioned I have a Dual Opteron (285) system here as well which is really nice even though it is over a year old now, it is still a very powerful workstation which serves it's purpose well, it too started with a SuperMicro board but now has a Tyan Thunder K8WE.

THese things are rock solid performers for me so far.

crackintosh

crackintosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
ive never overclocked before so i dont know if id try anything hardcore. people seem to be gettin good OCs with the wolfdales and quad cores on air though. obviously the xeons arent very overclockable since they have a lower multiplier.....i would hope maybe you could get a 2.33 to 2.66

im tryin to put a build together for 1500......the price of FBDIMMs really makes it hard

CPU- 2 x Xeon E5410 $566
MOBO- Tyan Tempest i5400XT $400
GPU- ZOTAC 8800GT $220
HD- 500 or 750GB $115
RAM- 4 gigs $150
PSU- 750W enough? $100
DVDRW- ASUS or LiteOn $30
CASE- Cooler Master Stacker $150

thats $1700 :P

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

ive never overclocked before so i dont know if id try anything hardcore. people seem to be gettin good OCs with the wolfdales and quad cores on air though. obviously the xeons arent very overclockable since they have a lower multiplier.....i would hope maybe you could get a 2.33 to 2.66

im tryin to put a build together for 1500......the price of FBDIMMs really makes it hard

CPU- 2 x Xeon E5410 $566
MOBO- Tyan Tempest i5400XT $400
GPU- ZOTAC 8800GT $220
HD- 500 or 750GB $115
RAM- 4 gigs $150
PSU- 750W enough? $100
DVDRW- ASUS or LiteOn $30
CASE- Cooler Master Stacker $150

thats $1700 :blowup:

Yes I think a 750W PSU is fine, and if I were you I would go with the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750, which is arguably the cleanest power out there.
Still a dual quad core Xeon machine for $1700.00 is a pretty damn good deal.

mtotho

mtotho

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Interests:[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/mtotho/Signature-Mtotho-1.png[/img]
Configured a Mac Pro on newegg..

I included

Posted Image LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail Item #: N82E16827106072Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$37.99
Posted Image Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail Item #: N82E16811129025Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Instant
$169.99$149.99
Posted Image Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM Item #: N82E16822148140Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan -- $14.99 2 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99
$84.99
Posted Image EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail Item #: N82E16814130318Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan -- $69.99 $10.00 Mail-in Rebate $239.99
Posted Image OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply - Retail Item #: N82E16817341002Return Policy: Standard Return Policy Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan -- $29.99 2 Year Extended Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 -$15.00 Instant
$35.00 Mail-in Rebate $149.99$134.99
Posted Image Logitech 967561-0403 Black USB + PS/2 Cordless Standard Desktop EX110 Mouse Included - Retail Item #: N82E16823126174Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$3.00 Instant
$29.99$26.99
Posted Image G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail Item #: N82E16820231098Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy
-$40.00 Instant
$169.98$89.98($44.99 each)
Posted Image Intel S5000VSASATA Dual 771 Intel 5000V SSI EEB 3.6 (Extended ATX) Server Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813121043Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$354.99
Posted Image Intel Xeon E5440 Harpertown 2.83GHz LGA 771 80W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80574E5440A - Retail Item #: N82E16819117143Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$1,466.00($733.00 each)
Posted Image APPLE Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard - Retail Item #: N82E16832110024Return Policy: Software Return Policy

$109.99

Total $2,695.90 + 13 dollars shipping and tax, depending on where you lived.

I know i used desktop memory, who cares

And mac version

Subtotal $2,999.00 Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping Next business day delivery available

Click "Update Details" to reflect changes to system price and shipping.

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Specifications Posted Image
  • Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
  • 2GB (2 x 1GB)
  • 320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)
  • One 16x SuperDrive
  • Apple Mighty Mouse
  • Apple Keyboard (English)
normally im gung ho for hackintosh.. and maybe building a octo core hack would be fun.. but it is clear that it isnt much more. (You can probably subtract hte cost of the os from the first selection, haha)

also.. it is definately worth it if you only do the 2.33 ghz quad instead of the octo core.. i was just trying to be fair. You may not need the 2.8Ghz processor.. and apple doesnt give you an option to reduce that.

vladthebad

vladthebad

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
just a couple minor nitpick problems with that config....

you're using 5000v chipset, apple never used 5000v..... and 5000v was worse than the 5000x that apple used in the original mac pro..... (only dual channel FB-DIMM instead of 4 channel)... board has no PCIe x16 slot for graphics cards, just two x8 slots (x4 electrically)

Processors that won't work on the older board.... board only takes dual core processors, and I believe it to only support 5000 series (Dempsey) and 5100 series (woodcrest)

then you've got an EATX board...... and an ATX case.....

Ram that won't fit the board (you mentioned that one)

Again, thats nitpicky stuff from someone thats been looking at Xeon stuff for quite a while.......

Anyways, I threw together something a lot more like what I want to build (In two steps.... current plan is to do a cheap core2 and decent core2 board + graphics+drives+case+power supply..... then later come back through and drop in xeon board and xeons and FB-DIMM)

Overview:
Monster Beefy 5400 chipset (same as new mac pro) Tyan board, with SAS... supports 1600mhz FSB/800mhz FB-DIMM.... just like new mac pro, but in this case, we'll be going 1333 FSB/667 FB-DIMM (for $$$ reasons.... by the time I get to phase 2, the 1600/800mhz parts will most likely be cheaper... other possibly option is 1333FSB processor, 800mhz FB-DIMM and try the pin mod so it thinks the chips are 1600 FSB.... that would take the 2ghz chips below to 2.4ghz and 1600 FSB.

Posted Image

Pair of Harpertown E5405's, 4 cores each, 12mb L2 cache each, 1333 FSB.
Total of 8 cores, 24mb L2 Cache (almost as much L2 cache as my quadra 950 had in RAM!!!)

Nice beefy Pedestal/Rackmount convertable case. Very nice looking case.... Newegg doesn't sell all of the featured stuff, but you can replace the two screw in bays with hot swap SCSI or hot swap SATA or hot swap SAS bays.... it is also possible to buy a redundant power supply setup for this case. (either a fairly rowdy double, or a nice decent tripple) then you can have a power supply fail, and the machine doesn't even turn off......

This budget doesn't include extra loot for the fancy redundant power supplies though.... so lets just throw in a nice Antec 850.... modular cabling, ATX/EPS12V standards.... nice stuff.

8 gigs of ram... 4 two gig sticks. Yes, they are dual rank sticks..... Yes we'll be filling all 4 channels..... and YES... we have TWELVE slots left. (Nice future upgrade would be another matching four 2 gig sticks to use the first two slots in each channel to get more bandwidth, as well as to bump ram to 16 gig.

A pair of XFX 8600GT's.... Yeah, I know they're not 8800's... and they only have 256MB VRAM.... but oh well... should be more than plenty... unless I ever decide to get into multi-monitor gaming at 2048x1536 per monitor across 4 heads.... Another good possible option here would be a single 8800, or waiting until we find out more on the 9600 and if it runs in OSX86 because of how closely related it is to the 8 series cards.

Four 500 gig western digital SATA drives, 16mb cache each, they're RE2 series... rated for 24/7 usage in machines with multiple hard drives and in rackmount systems (vibration can become a real issue, as can long term heat for many drives), with 5 year warrantee. (NOTE: the only drives I'll spend real money on.... are Western Digital Enterprise grade drives... (RE/RE2, etc) or Seagate Enterprise grade drives (ES, ES2, etc). If you've ever had a drive fail with very valuable data on it... its worth the extra $20-40 per drive in my opinion. Drives that have SMART status that work are also essential. (To anyone reading this that doesn't know what SMART status is.... Its worth finding out.... most drives will outright TELL YOU before they die. Listen to them. If a controller doesn't support SMART status, its pretty much not worth using.

And we'll throw the same superdrive in that Mtotho used.

(Ideas on future upgrades for this kind of setup:
Use 800mhz ram if you can to start with, then you can always either pinmod if you want to overclock, or later buy 1600mhz FSB Xeons.

onboard SAS controller for ultrafast storage if you need it down the road (or if someone figures out how to boot off of other controllers, or if we figure out how to possibly run the bootloader from 1 drive... and kick the boot to read filesystem and boot off of the faster drive (or possibly RAID)... OR if SAS is too pricey.... then you can always just use the SAS controller as 8 more SATA ports.

1 PCIe x8 slot open (x4 electrically) for future growth
2 PCI-X133 slots (In my case, my LSI U320 card... also, most PCI cards will work in PCI-X slot as well.)
1 PCI slot

Here is the newegg wishlist:

1 CHENBRO SR10769-BK-H Black SECC Pedestal and Rackmount Convertible Server/Workstation Chassis - Retail
Model #: SR10769-BK-H
Item #: N82E16811123126
$130.00

1 TYAN S5397WAG2NRF Dual 771 Intel 5400 Extended ATX Server Motherboard - Retail
Model #: S5397WAG2NRF
Item #: N82E16813151167
$639.99

Update
2 XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #: PVT84JUDD3
Item #: N82E16814150229
$199.98

Update
1 Antec TPQ-850 ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: TPQ-850
Item #: N82E16817371009
$179.00

Update
2 Intel Xeon E5405 Harpertown 2.0GHz LGA 771 80W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80574E5405A - Retail
Model #: BX80574E5405A
Item #: N82E16819117151
$470.00

4 Transcend 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) ECC Fully Buffered Server Memory Model TS256MFB72V6U-T - Retail
Model #: TS256MFB72V6U-T
Item #: N82E16820208074
$295.96

4 Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5001ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA-300 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD5001ABYS
Item #: N82E16822136205
$479.96

1 LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail
Model #: LH-20A1L-06
Item #: N82E16827106072
$32.99
Subtotal: $2,427.88

And the TWO things that aren't on the wishlist because Newegg doesn't carry them, but are almost must haves in my book:

Posted Image

(Yes, those are Swiftech's.... fins on pins.... slammed into a half inch thick solid copper base... then lapped within 0.0003" of perfectly flat with a surface finish of 8. (Near godly).... and they weigh about a pound and a half each.... DEFINATELY better than the stock intel heatsink setup... and lets you run a whole lot more quiet.

Really you've got $1400 in one of the nicest Xeon boards out there.... and 8 cores and 8 gigs of ram.... plus all the fixins.

If you've already got all the fixings... well, that makes it a whole lot more semi-affordable.

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

you're using 5000v chipset, apple never used 5000v..... and 5000v was worse than the 5000x that apple used in the original mac pro..... (only dual channel FB-DIMM instead of 4 channel)... board has no PCIe x16 slot for graphics cards, just two x8 slots (x4 electrically)

Processors that won't work on the older board.... board only takes dual core processors, and I believe it to only support 5000 series (Dempsey) and 5100 series (woodcrest)

then you've got an EATX board...... and an ATX case.....

Ram that won't fit the board (you mentioned that one)

Again, thats nitpicky stuff from someone thats been looking at Xeon stuff for quite a while.......

That's not nitpicky at all! You saved him and his build, these are crucial factors and I was about to respond to that configuration post but forgot to. You also need FB-DIMMs for that chipset. Now, I hope he didn't get that config.

Also, you can run 2 video cards in a motherboard and OS X as long as they're not sli'd, meaning each card represent each monitor? Is that what your purpose is for?

vladthebad

vladthebad

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
well, lets start a bit before your question with another question:

What is SLI, what is Crossfire:

Because some people have more money than brains.... one highest end video card isn't enough....
So they take TWO and use both cards to run 1 monitor.... basically like taking two 4 cylinder engines and making a V8 out of them. (or for Tri-SLI or 3 way crossfire, taking three 4 cylinder engines and making a V12)
This gives you more performance in games, and other very very graphically intense programs, it also only works on windows.

People have installed multiple video cards in computers for years though, I remember a machine with two video cards and two monitors back in 1995-96...

Now, most cards can run 2 monitors. So if you only need 2 monitors, you only need 1 card.

But what if you want more performance? You could buy 2 cards, and run 1 monitor on each card.

What if you needed more monitors? You could buy 2 cards and run 4 monitors, or 3 cards and run 6 monitors, or 4 cards and run 8 monitors. If you only needed 1024x768 on each monitor, you could then use Matrox's tripplehead to go.... and run 24 monitors off of your 4 video cards and have a wall of video. (you know, if you're building your own war room or something)

I could really use 4 monitors.... I've got a matched pair of 19" LaCie Electron Blue IV's (got them second/third hand CHEAP... I love them), also have a nice beefy IBM 21, and access to a series III 19" LaCie Electron Blue. With two cards, that would give me the option of 8192x1536 overall resolution if I put all 4 in a row. But then I wouldn't have an output for the bigscreen TV. So most likely, all 3 LaCie's as monitors 1,2,3 on the desk... splitter and run the monster IBM in another room as monitor 1, and bigscreen as monitor 4.

I haven't seen any luck with people running 3 cards yet in a hackintosh, I also haven't seen anyone with a PCIe card and an old school PCI card, but I've got a PCI Geforce FX5200 that isn't a bad card at all, so of course I'll most likely try getting it to work as well, and try for 6 monitors. (Add a matched pair of 17's? who knows, I could find a use)

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Subtotal: $2,427.88

And the TWO things that aren't on the wishlist because Newegg doesn't carry them, but are almost must haves in my book:

Posted Image

(Yes, those are Swiftech's.... fins on pins.... slammed into a half inch thick solid copper base... then lapped within 0.0003" of perfectly flat with a surface finish of 8. (Near godly).... and they weigh about a pound and a half each.... DEFINATELY better than the stock intel heatsink setup... and lets you run a whole lot more quiet.

Really you've got $1400 in one of the nicest Xeon boards out there.... and 8 cores and 8 gigs of ram.... plus all the fixins.

If you've already got all the fixings... well, that makes it a whole lot more semi-affordable.

Those HSF's wont work on a Xeon based board, those swiftechs are made for socket 775 not 771.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread you need to use HSF's that are specifically designed for Xeons, and very few companies make them for the after market.
Then if you want near silence you have yo go with something like THESE HERE

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Team Scream, I personally like these thermalright socket 771 HSF: http://www.sidewinde...hrforinxe5.html
They're a bit cheaper/inexpensive as well.

vladthebad, not too sure why/how you went off that far, I'll just take that assumption you're running 2 video cards to run your 4-monitors. I've installed 2x 7300GTs in a Mac Pro, only for the reason of display multilple monitors. But however, they do not combine performances of both cards like sli (yes, windows only). A lot of workstations require multiple, and that does explain the reason why PCI cards had its use from the start, finding multiple AGPs were rare, but PCI was commonly used in the workstation world, and for years, like you've mentioned.

vladthebad

vladthebad

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Team Scream: Those are Xeon heatsinks... those are the socket 771 Xeon version..... they ALSO make a version for 775.... but those are the xeon version, in the picture they're on a xeon board.

Gramarye: I went the long way to note that OSX DOESN'T gain any SLI/Crossfire performance.... people that need 2 monitors at highest performance, will be better with 2 cards running 1 monitor each...

And yes, I've got two card.... AGP 6600GT and a PCI FX5200... haven't been able to get both working at the same time though.... I've gotten very very close in 10.4.8 but end up with having to manually disable the outputs on 1 card with my customized natit.kext or get a kernel panic... looking in system profiler, I'd get both cards, I'd get vram, everything..... disable the other cards outputs in natit, reboot, hit bios, switch primary graphics card, and the other card would come up in dual monitor mode, fully working.... try and get 4 outputs = panic at loginwindow. A bit of tweaking and for a while I could get all 4 outputs to show up in single user mode, even after loading dock.app to get into the gui, all 4 displays would then show up, but the 2 on the card that loaded second would stay black and never come up.. Then some of the NVinject guys were getting dual cards to work with that.... but only in 10.4.10 from what I'd seen.... and the machine never made the update.. update killed my install, haven't really monkeyed with it much since...... now I'm just waiting for $$$ so I can buy some non-junk hardware... I'm frankly sick my socket 478 celeron in my bucket of non-performance hand me down parts mixed with salvaged computer recycling center $5 and $10 parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy