8-core motherboard for hackintosh?

225 posts in this topic

Quadros Anyone?!? http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83090

Which Firewire 800 Card do you have?

as much as this might be going against the thread, For a couple hundred difference, I'd still go for a real Mac Pro... ;)

Again, if it doesn't take too much out of your time, List all your hardware, or you can just update you sig ;)

I'll read more and give feedback when I have time late, good luck with the whole process, this is loooking very good and thanks for sharing this knowledge with us, very appreciated!

This Firewire 800 Card

Sig Updated

Thanks!

Hardware raids never work in OSX it seems... so thats sorta out.

Though you should be able to get the onboard audio working... do a quick search for skippyretard

as much as this might be going against the thread, For a couple hundred difference, I'd still go for a real Mac Pro... :)

Mac Pro Part Number: Z0EM One 16x SuperDrive

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)

Apple Mighty Mouse

Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X

4GB (4 x 1GB)

500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

Accessory kit

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)

Total $3,849.00

1-SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O ATX Server Motherboard

$3,849.00

- $1,890.95

--------------

$1958.05

I think you meant to say a couple of thousand difference......

Mac Pro Part Number: Z0EM One 16x SuperDrive

Apple Mighty Mouse

4GB (4 x 1GB)

Accessory kit

Total $3,849.00

$3,849.00

- $1,890.95

--------------

$1958.05

Take only the standard 2GB RAM of Apple. Buy the rest @ 3rd party.

I think you forgot some things. A Mac Pro got a very expensive and powerfull PSU (I think about 800Watts, maybe more) that costs around 250-300 euro if u wanna buy it separate. Also the case is very expensive and nice too....

The new Mac Pro's are competitive with non-apple computers for sure...

Mac Pro Part Number: Z0EM

One 16x SuperDrive

Apple Mighty Mouse

4GB (4 x 1GB)

Accessory kit

Total $3,849.00

$3,849.00

- $1,890.95

--------------

$1958.05

hmm...for those of you who are new to this thread, we're discussing about an 8-Core Motherboard for OSx86.

Mac Pro

[/size]One 16x SuperDrive < Did OP include Optical Drives?

Apple Mighty Mouse < ?

Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X < ?

4GB (4 x 1GB) < 3rd party vendor/distributor

500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s < Same as above

500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s < Same as above

Accessory kit < ?

Total $3,849.00 (price subject to change...no seriously)

VS.

1-SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O ATX Server Motherboard $360.00

2-Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHz LGA 771 80W Processors $592.00 < interesting...2.33 GHz vs. 2.8 GHz !?! Find out how much more a 2.8 GHz would cost you.

2-SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $218.00

4-mushkin 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM Server Memory $331.96

1-BFG Tech GeForce 8800GT BFGE88512GTOCE Video Card $279.00

1-Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply $109.99 < like above mentioned, a higher wattage PSU would be recommended

Modded G5 Case (free from work) $0.00 < Free!?!? Great stuff, too bad not everyone can get a Modded G5 case for Free

Total $1,890.95 < (questionable.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 Rule of thumb: You should know that, when compiling parts, and considering the COST, you should already know that adding hardware or buying hardware from Apple is overpriced. This goes in accordance with RAM (Memory), Hard Drive(s), etc...Take that thought in consideration when you plan to upgrade.

2) Why would include Apple Keyboard, Mouse, Accesory Kit (?), Mac OS X, (regardless that they're free), Superdrive, in this list? The original poster did not include peripheral devices, why should you count that in a factor? Why don't you include displays and software while you're at it? Especially for OS, when you're discussing this in a hackintosh thread?

3) 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon Prcoessor vs. 2.33 GHz Intel Xeon Processor...hmm...what's wrong with this picture? of course if you want to buy a less expensive processor, slower speed,etc...the cost will be cheaper. ($300 x2 difference)

MY point is, if you really want to knitpick every single word, try a bit harder and at least validate what you're posting. Was it really worth posting that? For the money the original poster is spending, I'd rather spend it on a Mac Pro, hands down, my personal opinion/preference? sure, but it's only whats suggested. If the original poster wants to take the other route...awesome!

...so back to 8-core motherboard for hackintosh, I updated my second post with 2-new Supermicro motherboards. One includes a later chipset, Intel 5400 Chipset. Not that many feedback on the performance however, since it's still considered new.

ALC888 Drivers

The Video card, just do a search. Since 10.5.2 is not officially out you will need to use the beta drivers and there is a special string you need to put in natit for 640MB

You can do RAID via a PCI Express card (do a search for SI3132 here).

I've been keeping an eye on the Harpertown systems but it doesn't seem worth it to do a new build for 8-cores, at least for the higher-end stuff...the 3.2ghz Penryns are roughly $1500 each and the board is around $400, so you're looking at $3400 right off the bat. Adding in a quality case that will fit the large motherboard ($300) plus a good power supply ($200), then all the little details that the Mac Pro includes (2gb ram, DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, 320gb hard drive, 2600xt video card) and you're just about even with the Mac Pro. At best you save a few hundred dollars, but for a few hundred dollars more you get a perfectly-working real Mac Pro with zero problems, the ability to use ALL internal Mac cards, multiple graphics cards for more than 2 monitors, and so on. The cost/benefit ratio right now is geared more towards single-processor systems or older dual-processor or less-power dual-processor systems.

With that said, I really, really wish someone would release a quad-processor board with a 16x PCI Express slot :)

You can do RAID via a PCI Express card (do a search for SI3132 here).

I've been keeping an eye on the Harpertown systems but it doesn't seem worth it to do a new build for 8-cores, at least for the higher-end stuff...the 3.2ghz Penryns are roughly $1500 each and the board is around $400, so you're looking at $3400 right off the bat. Adding in a quality case that will fit the large motherboard ($300) plus a good power supply ($200), then all the little details that the Mac Pro includes (2gb ram, DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, 320gb hard drive, 2600xt video card) and you're just about even with the Mac Pro. At best you save a few hundred dollars, but for a few hundred dollars more you get a perfectly-working real Mac Pro with zero problems, the ability to use ALL internal Mac cards, multiple graphics cards for more than 2 monitors, and so on. The cost/benefit ratio right now is geared more towards single-processor systems or older dual-processor or less-power dual-processor systems.

With that said, I really, really wish someone would release a quad-processor board with a 16x PCI Express slot :P

Great points as usual Weaksauce! :)

If you mean quad-socket processor motherboard with PCIe x16, this one has two:

TYAN S4881G2NR

1315100804sc3.jpg

1315100804kk2.jpg

...too bad it's for AMD!??! ;)

RAID, I have a Sonnet Tempo e4i 4-Sata Port PCie x4, looking forward to trying it out, once I find that motherboard that is!

^looks like there is one

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherb.../7300/X7QC3.cfm

• Supports up to four Intel® 64-bit Xeon® MP processor(s) of the same type below:
  • Quad-Core Intel® Xeon®
    Processor 7300 sequence
  • Dual-Core Intel® Xeon®
    Processor 7200 sequence

1 (x8) PCI-e (using X16 slot)

whats interesting is that the E5410 (2.33 GHz quad-core, 12MB L2) is $290 compared with the 2.83 GHz bein $710, so you could build a dual 2.33 for less than a single 2.83. i was planning on building a Q9450/x38 setup but assumin you could get a 771 mobo that works good in osx86 i wonder how a dual xeon would perform against a Q9450. obviously it would cost you a few hundred more but i might think about going that route. the Q9450 will probably be over $300 when it comes out and by that time the 5410 should be around 250.

if i could get the money id try buildin a quad core xeon setup with the supermicro mobo up there and xeon 7300 series processors. i need to build the fastest hackintosh ever ;)

The key think people forget is you can kick it down to Quad 2.33 which doesnt hurt that bad and be in a far far better place money wise... also can kick the video down and ram to 4 gigs for even MORE saving... getting the machine below 2000... I was able to build a nice machine for about 1700 including shipping with octo-core and 4 gigs of ram. Which is not that much more then people using Q6600's!

1 Antec TITAN650 Black 1.0mm SECC Server Case $170.00

1 TYAN S5396A2NRF Dual 771 Intel 5400 SSI / Extended ATX Server $420.00

1 XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 $259.99

2 Intel Xeon E5410 Harpertown 2.33GHz LGA 771 $590.00

4 CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) ECC $319.96

1 SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA2 $109.99

1 Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK $29.99

________

Subtotal: $1,899.93

All From Newegg.com, All easy to buy right now. It still hands down kills the mac at the same stats. Apple would sell such a machine for about 2799 then add 200 for the video and well 320 for the ram ;P and you can see it would beat apple price by almost 1/2. So See na sayers! It is possible!

P.S. Can I borrow 2K from someone?

The two Mac Pros I am buying will be upgraded for 2x 3.2 GHz Harpertowns with AppleCare and then upgraded with 12GB of ram, 3TB of storage, and a compatible raid card (for each) from Newegg. Add in 4x Dell 3007wfp-hc monitors at the total comes to: $16,270.

I got that by doubling the total of these numbers:

~4,400 for each Pro

~250 for AppleCare

~540 for 6x 2GB FB-DIMMs

~620 for 4x 750GB hdds

~225 for RocketRaid card

~2100 for 2x 3007WFP-HCs

I could build the workstations myself, but the only place I'd save money would be (at most) a few grand on the actual Mac Pro, but if you're going to spend this much money anyways why skimp out of a few hundred extra bucks to get the full system?

^looks like there is one

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherb.../7300/X7QC3.cfm

• Supports up to four Intel® 64-bit Xeon® MP processor(s) of the same type below:
  • Quad-Core Intel® Xeon®
    Processor 7300 sequence
  • Dual-Core Intel® Xeon®
    Processor 7200 sequence

1 (x8) PCI-e (using X16 slot)

whats interesting is that the E5410 (2.33 GHz quad-core, 12MB L2) is $290 compared with the 2.83 GHz bein $710, so you could build a dual 2.33 for less than a single 2.83. i was planning on building a Q9450/x38 setup but assumin you could get a 771 mobo that works good in osx86 i wonder how a dual xeon would perform against a Q9450. obviously it would cost you a few hundred more but i might think about going that route. the Q9450 will probably be over $300 when it comes out and by that time the 5410 should be around 250.

if i could get the money id try buildin a quad core xeon setup with the supermicro mobo up there and xeon 7300 series processors. i need to build the fastest hackintosh ever :)

The SuperMicro X7QC3 is good but it uses an 8x PCI Express slot electrically in a 16x PCI Express physical port - you can fit 16x cards but you can only use them at 8x. HOWEVER, from my recent research it seems that modern cards don't use nearly the full bandwidth that 16x PCI Express has to offer, so we should be okay running 8x cards in a 16x slot. I'll wait until they release 8-core processors before I pick up one of these beasties, however (should be later this year!).

The two Mac Pros I am buying will be upgraded for 2x 3.2 GHz Harpertowns with AppleCare and then upgraded with 12GB of ram, 3TB of storage, and a compatible raid card (for each) from Newegg. Add in 4x Dell 3007wfp-hc monitors at the total comes to: $16,270.

I got that by doubling the total of these numbers:

~4,400 for each Pro

~250 for AppleCare

~540 for 6x 2GB FB-DIMMs

~620 for 4x 750GB hdds

~225 for RocketRaid card

~2100 for 2x 3007WFP-HCs

I could build the workstations myself, but the only place I'd save money would be (at most) a few grand on the actual Mac Pro, but if you're going to spend this much money anyways why skimp out of a few hundred extra bucks to get the full system?

In one sentence you said "save a few grand" and in the next sentence you said "why skimp for a few hundred extra" a "few grand" is a lot more than a "few hundred".

That being said,

If I were acquiring equipment for mission critical applications or work flow, I don't think I would consider a hackintosh at all, the cost is far too high to build an 8 core machine that you would have to "tinker" with all the time or even be faced with the possibility of having to "tinker" with it at all.

I would evaluate the cost vs. ability elements and buy accordingly.

However, now that I have had this 8 core hackintosh up and running for a few days testing out it's usability as an NLE, I am incredibly impressed so far.

Everything seems to work just fine, it now shuts down perfectly, sleeps perfectly, time machine works perfectly and I have not had one single problem with any of the core applications I work with on a regular basis.

But since the build is less than a week old, I cant possibly conclude that it is a reliable, stable workstation platform.

I do love it, don't get me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is an Intel 5400 chipset solution for an 8-Core motherboard:

s5392ey1.gif

Prodcut:

TYAN Tempest i5400XL (S5392)

Product Site:

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=564

Price Range:

Roughly around $400 at most retailers

Key Factors:

After doing some reaseach, It's in CEB Form Factor, 12" x 10.5" < Will fit in most ATX Cases, however, CEB may require a proprietary PSU. My case for example, is the Lian Li PC-A10B, its motherboard tray has width up to 11.5" (with extra room of ODDs)

- Also, an x16 and x8 pci-express slot!

Specifications:

Processor

• Dual LGA771 sockets

• Supports up to two Intel® Xeon® Woodcrest

Processors( 5000/5100 Series Dualcore);

Clovertown Processors (5300 Series, Quadcore);

Wolfdale-DP Processors (45nm, dual-core);

Harpertown Processors (45nm, quad-core)

• 1.33 / 1.06GHz FSB

• VRD 11.0

Chipset

• Intel 5400 MCH + 6321ESB chipset

• Support for 1.33 / 1.06GHz FSB

• Winbond W83627EHG Super I/O Chip

Memory

• Four 240-pin DDR2 FBDIMM sockets

• Four memory channels

• Supports ECC DIMMs

• Maximum of 32/16 GB DDR2-533/667

Expansion Slots

• Two (2) PCI Express x16 slots

– from MCH (PCI-E Gen2)

• One (1) PCI Express x8 slot

– X8 signal from 6321ESB

• Two (2) PCI-X 133/100MHz slots from 6321ESB

• One (1) PCI 32-bit 33MHz slot

• Total six (6) expansion slots

Integrated I/O Interface

• One 9-pin 16550 UART serial port (header)

• One LPT Header

• Four USB 2.0 ports (via two headers)

• Six Standard/integrated SATA2 connectors

• One IDE and one Floppy connectors

• One 4-pin CD-in header and one 4-pin Aux

header

• One 9-pin front panel audio header

Back Panel I/O ports

• Stacked PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors

• Stacked (2)USB 2.0 ports

• One Serial port

• One SPDIF in /out

• Stacked USB 2.0 (2) and RJ-45 (1) connectors

• Stacked Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in audio

connectors

System Management

• ADI Hardware Monitor w/ PECI circuit

• CPU thermal & voltage monitor support

• Five (5) fan headers (4-pin configuration)

Power

• EPS12V/SSI (24+8+4 pin) power connectors

Integrated LAN Controllers

• Intel GbE from 6321ESB (single port "Gilgal"

82564)

• One RJ-45 ports with LED

Integrated Audio

• HDA link

• RealTek ALC888 controller (High Definition

Audio)

• Line-in, Line-out, Mic-in rear ports

• Front panel audio header

• CD-in, Aux headers (4-pin configuration)

Integrated Serial ATA II

• Six (6) SATA-II ports

• 3.0 Gb/s per port

• RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 support in Windows

Server Management

Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) from

daughter card M3291

• Tailored for IPMI 2.0 specification

• Supports remote power on/off and reset

(IPMIover-LAN)

• Server Management Daughter card via built-in

2x25 header

Trusted Platform Management (TPM)

• Infineon SLB9635TT 1.2

BIOS

• PhoenixBIOS® on 8Mbit Flash ROM

• Support APM 1.2, ACPI 2.0

• Serial Console Redirect

• PXE via Ethernet, USB device boot

• PnP, DMI 2.0, WfM 2.0 Power Management

• User-configurable H/W monitoring

• Auto-configuration of hard disk types

• Multiple boot options

• 48-bit LBA support

Form Factor

• CEB (12" x 10.5")

Regulatory

• FCC Class B (DoC)

• European Community CE (DoC)

I feel like I've taken over this thread :D sorry

Ok,

Well it has been a couple of weeks now since I committed my Octa to Hackintosh.

This system is 100% FLAWLESS so far, I upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM that I just installed today, I also used netkas method of fixing my video card so that it shows and probably now uses the entire 640MB of ram onboard, I have been using Final Cut S2 for the entire time and I have ZERO problems.

Adding the memory and NVinject updated kexts, and fixing the VRAM hook yielded a MAJOR boost in benchmark results which are now at 7249 (geekbench), everything else is absolutely perfect so far and I am really happy that I did this.

I would imagine that you can build a similar system for less than you think as the new Intel 5400 chipset is out now which should bring the cost of this i5000 chipset based board down considerably.

Yes it would be nice to have the new penryn, and yes it would be nice to have the newer chipset, but this thing works 100%, and until I see a MAJOR difference in rendering speed between my system and someone elses, this will remain as the coolest thing I have done in my computing career so far.

Let me know if you guys need any information from me.

I say build one.

Ok,

Well it has been a couple of weeks now since I committed my Octa to Hackintosh.

This system is 100% FLAWLESS so far, I upgraded to 8 gigs of RAM that I just installed today, I also used netkas method of fixing my video card so that it shows and probably now uses the entire 640MB of ram onboard, I have been using Final Cut S2 for the entire time and I have ZERO problems.

Adding the memory and NVinject updated kexts, and fixing the VRAM hook yielded a MAJOR boost in benchmark results which are now at 7249 (geekbench), everything else is absolutely perfect so far and I am really happy that I did this.

I would imagine that you can build a similar system for less than you think as the new Intel 5400 chipset is out now which should bring the cost of this i5000 chipset based board down considerably.

Yes it would be nice to have the new penryn, and yes it would be nice to have the newer chipset, but this thing works 100%, and until I see a MAJOR difference in rendering speed between my system and someone elses, this will remain as the coolest thing I have done in my computing career so far.

Let me know if you guys need any information from me.

I say build one.

Gosh, do you really have to tempt me?!?! :rolleyes: I already told myself during the past few weeks of silence in this thread to not drop the ball ona Dual-Socket, OCTOCORE. grr...now i'm back to the drawing board. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation and reassurance, and the ZERO problem reply. It really makes it so much more tempting...y'kno that feeling?

BTW: Awesome GeekBench results! Is everything included in your SIG? ANd what what the total cost of it all?

Is this your motherboard with blue-dye (kind of like the mac pro logic motherboard)? http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=490&a...5000xl_mobo_lrg

Heya Gramarye,

let me take it a step further for you.

I just got finished installing the 10.5.2 update and everything still works perfectly, I also installed the additional graphics update and it works perfectly as well!

My geekbench scores are up to 7279 now which is a slight increase, however I think thats because in profiler it still shows the NVinject 0.2.1, so I may have missed something there, I am not sure if any of the release drivers are actually working or not?

I am lost there and will need to do some more reading, but yes everything workls still, my pro apps are still fine after the update.

The only thing not working now is my PS-2 keyboard, so I am typing this from a USB keyboard, other than that it is still flawless.

That picture you posted is NOT my motherboard.

This one is:Click This for Pic

Also YES everything I have is listed in my signature, and as afar as costs are concerned, thats a tough one.

I paid $500.00 for the mobo about 6 months ago, I paid well over $400.00 for 4 gigs of FB Ram, I paid over $400.00 for the video card, and the processors were close to $1000.00 each when I got them, the Antec case was about $300.00 with the dual PSU's which total 1200 watts combined but this case is so well worth the money as it has a large 200mm fan on the side cover which is silent and blows air directly on the entire mobo, it also has (2) 150mm fans on the top of the chassis which draw air into the case and it has (2) 120mm fans on the rear of the case for removing air, all of the fans have a 3 speed switch on them and I run all fans on low, finally it has a 120mm fan that draws air in directly in front of the hard drive cage as well as a 120mm fan which blows air over the PSU's.

It is by far the best case I have ever seen anywhere and was easily the best money I have spent.

Keep in mind I have a dual opteron system sitting next to me as well that I also put into one of these chassis so that should say something about the build quality.

So far this is one hell of a system, I imagine I have well over $4000.00 into it but I still think that you can build one for way less than I did now that the newer stuff is out.

One last thing,

This Antec P-190/1200 chassis allows you to power the motherboard, DVD drives, and hard drives off one of the PSU's and ALL of the fans and video cards off of a separate PSU, the PSU's are linked with a special cable which is supplied, and the cable management is the most superior cable management I have seen to date......and I build a LOT of computers.

Heya Gramarye,

let me take it a step further for you.

I just got finished installing the 10.5.2 update and everything still works perfectly, I also installed the additional graphics update and it works perfectly as well!

My geekbench scores are up to 7279 now which is a slight increase, however I think thats because in profiler it still shows the NVinject 0.2.1, so I may have missed something there, I am not sure if any of the release drivers are actually working or not?

I am lost there and will need to do some more reading, but yes everything workls still, my pro apps are still fine after the update.

The only thing not working now is my PS-2 keyboard, so I am typing this from a USB keyboard, other than that it is still flawless.

That picture you posted is NOT my motherboard.

This one is:Click This for Pic

Also YES everything I have is listed in my signature, and as afar as costs are concerned, thats a tough one.

I paid $500.00 for the mobo about 6 months ago, I paid well over $400.00 for 4 gigs of FB Ram, I paid over $400.00 for the video card, and the processors were close to $1000.00 each when I got them, the Antec case was about $300.00 with the dual PSU's which total 1200 watts combined but this case is so well worth the money as it has a large 200mm fan on the side cover which is silent and blows air directly on the entire mobo, it also has (2) 150mm fans on the top of the chassis which draw air into the case and it has (2) 120mm fans on the rear of the case for removing air, all of the fans have a 3 speed switch on them and I run all fans on low, finally it has a 120mm fan that draws air in directly in front of the hard drive cage as well as a 120mm fan which blows air over the PSU's.

It is by far the best case I have ever seen anywhere and was easily the best money I have spent.

Keep in mind I have a dual opteron system sitting next to me as well that I also put into one of these chassis so that should say something about the build quality.

So far this is one hell of a system, I imagine I have well over $4000.00 into it but I still think that you can build one for way less than I did now that the newer stuff is out.

One last thing,

This Antec P-190/1200 chassis allows you to power the motherboard, DVD drives, and hard drives off one of the PSU's and ALL of the fans and video cards off of a separate PSU, the PSU's are linked with a special cable which is supplied, and the cable management is the most superior cable management I have seen to date......and I build a LOT of computers.

The image you posted doesn't seem to work, but i'll assume it's either yellowish colored dye or the green one. I got the image from what I've googled which lead to this result: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...m=490&num=1

Your sig says, Tyan S2692, then I've realized there are several models and revisions with that number.

The Antec P-190 is a nice chassis, and the biggest feature to me is the E-ATX capabilities. However, I've settled for the Lian Li PC-A10B, which also has chamber managing system like P-190 and has Dual-PSUs as well: http://www.lian-li.com/product/product06.p...ex=4&type=b

(With the 7 Drive Bays, I hope to achieve a Media Duplication system along with my Video Production Workstation. Its ATX motherboard tray allows enough room for a CEB 12" x 10.5", eventhough it can go up to 12" x 11.5" with still enough clearance)

It has pretty much everything I wanted, except the E-ATX capabilities, but there is a similar model that has it, and is quite a bit bigger: http://www.lian-li.com/product/product05.p...&ss_index=8

Anyway, thanks for sharing your marvelous setup, and it gives much hope of success in the build process. That is great Geekbench score as well.

Hi Gramayre

In my signature I have the motherboard listed as the Tyan S2696 not the S2692

Mine is DEFINITELY the S2696.

I pulled that image frmo Tyans site and hosted it on my website so you can see it below.

Enjoy!, I hope you take the plunge and build one up.! :angel:

Just remember this and notice the holes where you mount the CPU coolers that the Xeon processors use a completely different style of HSF's

You should make sure that you get the factory Intel Xeon HSF's with your proc's as NONE of the conventional C2D style (socket 775) aftermarket HSF's will work.

There are a few companies that make water blocks for Socket 771 and my next step with this system is completely silent via H2o.

One last thing my friend, if you are going to pull the trigger and build one of these I would be happy to talk with you on the phone, PM me if you want to exchange numbers and give me a call!

Tyan%20S2696.jpg

Hi Gramayre

In my signature I have the motherboard listed as the Tyan S2696 not the S2692

Mine is DEFINITELY the S2696.

I pulled that image frmo Tyans site and hosted it on my website so you can see it below.

Enjoy!, I hope you take the plunge and build one up.! :)

Just remember this and notice the holes where you mount the CPU coolers that the Xeon processors use a completely different style of HSF's

You should make sure that you get the factory Intel Xeon HSF's with your proc's as NONE of the conventional C2D style (socket 775) aftermarket HSF's will work.

There are a few companies that make water blocks for Socket 771 and my next step with this system is completely silent via H2o.

One last thing my friend, if you are going to pull the trigger and build one of these I would be happy to talk with you on the phone, PM me if you want to exchange numbers and give me a call!

You are too kind! Your wonderful build and your offer of help and support has only gave me more hope and confidence in starting this project. I've been keeping up with this thread along with others for awhile, and have made quite a bit of research. But, my knowledge of everything would not go as far if it weren't for users like you contributing your experiences and being so kind with support. Your help has only encouraged me to perservere at this project more and more than before. Thank you for this.

You've mentioned about HSF for each XEON cpu. Yes, I agree, I'd rather have the Retail kit (or Intel OEM) of each Xeon processor, so they come with the HSF, but for Xeons, they're hard to come by, since they're vastly sold in the OEM majority. If I could find some Retail versions of the Xeon processors, I would go with it, if not, I have found some alternatives. Thanks to the "Building a Mac Pro" thread, I've learned about these 3rd party Thermalrights that work quite well, this may interest you or others, and can be found here:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrforinxe5.html

I have never really tried any 3rd Party brand yet for anything, meaning, I've always used whatever was stock, for example, my CPU was an intel Retail kit, and I've been using the stock cooler, as well as my video card, it is an OEM from NVidia, so I usually try to stay that way, however, I've heard great reviews and words about Thermalright, and have only heard beneficial results. Anyway, it's great to deam about this, Let's hope it comes to reality one day. :censored2:

By the way, Your board is a beauty, my apologies for reading your sig wrong. (The numbers are pretty close!) I've seen Tempest i5000XT in the greenish-yellowish fade dye in almost every site. The blue one you have looks very nice, and I'd have to admit I admire that one a lot. It even has SAS capabilities. I'm about to spend around $400 for a SAS Controller...I've reallized I minus well spend sub-$400 (can be had for even $350ish) on an 8-Core server motherboard (like the Tempest i5000XT (S2696), or maybe even Supermicro X7DAL-E+ ). Too bad, I'd still have to invest in processors though, and the final cost my be pushing it close. Anyway, we'll see, a part of me still feels like the new Octo-Mac Pros are more affordable now...which makes those even more tempting :\

One more thing, like I've just recently mention in the Mac Pro thread, Kingston is having their own sale right now, if you have happen to be interseted in some FB-DIMMS for a pretty awesome price: $330 for 8gb set (2 x 4gb modules), that makes a 4gb stick for $165! [http://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.asp?promo=PRCGRBR&ktcpartno=KVR667D2Q8F5K2/8G]

Let's keep this thread alive! :)

hmmm the tyan tempest looks interesting........looks like it doesnt have firewire but gigabit ethernet, ALC888, x16 slot, SPDIF. only 6 PCI-E/PCI slots but thats not the end of the world. i wonder if tyan or supermicro will be comin out with any new octo mobos?

im wonderin if a system with dual E5405 or 5410 would be a good investment over a Q9450 all other specs equal. the motherboard is a lot more and FBDIMM RAM is expensive. will there be problems with certain video cards?

theres some Q6600s (overclocked) scorin in the 9000 range on geekbench.......how overclockable are xeons? i figure a Q9450 might come close to lower end mac pros in a lot of benchmarks

what about this mobo?

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherb...400/X7DWA-N.cfm

has 7 expansion slots, dual gigabit, 2 firewire ports, ALC883

also of note, future quad-core xeons:

"Yorkfield" (45 nm)

Model Number sSpec Number Frequency L2-Cache Front Side Bus Mult Voltage TDP Socket Release Date Part Number(s) Release Price (USD)

Quad-Core Xeon X3320

2500 MHz 2 × 3072 KiB 1333 MT/s 7.5x

95 W LGA 775 Q1 2008

$266

Quad-Core Xeon X3350

2667 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 8x

95 W LGA 775 Q1 2008

$316

Quad-Core Xeon X3360

2833 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 8.5x

95 W LGA 775 Q1 2008

$530

"Harpertown" (low-voltage, 45 nm)

Model Number sSpec Number Frequency L2-Cache Front Side Bus Mult Voltage TDP Socket Release Date Part Number(s) Release Price (USD)

Quad-Core Xeon L5410

2333 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 7x

50 W LGA 771 January 2008

$320

Quad-Core Xeon L5420

2500 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 7.5x

50 W LGA 771 January 2008

$380

Quad-Core Xeon L5430

2667 MHz 2 × 6144 KiB 1333 MT/s 8x

50 W LGA 771 Q1 2008

$519