• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Ok right now I am doing a major backup of all of my digitized video content to my external MyBooks, it is going to take a couple of hours to get 300 gigs backed up, it was already backed up to one of the MyBooks but I need to make sure I have everything completely safe before I start testing so I am backing it up to another MyBook as well as to my Windows Home Server so it will be in 3 places safely in case the worst happens.

I will then boot back into the USB drive and start some tests.

I can tell you this, Leppard recognized my Firewire 800 card right off the bat because I could see the MyBooks which are connected Firewire 800 so thats a good thing.

Give me an hour or so to get this stuff safe and I will dive in.

davkenrem

davkenrem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all, this is my first post. I have been lurking for a while reading up on what I'd like to build. After going an Apple sponsered Leopard demo for work I got the MAC PRO bug even worse than before. I immeadiately priced an 8-Core system on their website and it was close to $4000.00. I then thought about building my own and that is how i found this forum. My research indicates that a Greencreek 5000x chipset board should be fairly close to what Apple sell. I went about looking for such a board and found a Supermicro Workstation board that someone has already mentioned. Here is the system I priced out on Newegg.com

1-SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O ATX Server Motherboard $360.00
2-Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHz LGA 771 80W Processors $592.00
2-SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$218.00
4-mushkin 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM Server Memory $331.96
1-BFG Tech GeForce 8800GT BFGE88512GTOCE Video Card
$279.00
1-Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply
$109.99
Modded G5 Case (free from work)
$0.00

Total $1,890.95

Does anyone know if this combo will work? I would like to build this with my tax return this year. I will watch this thread to see how others do until I buy my hardware.

Hyper X

Hyper X

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Furry, Video Games, Sci-Fi, Comedy, Movies, Computers, Macs, Cars, Anime, and RPG's

Hello all, this is my first post. I have been lurking for a while reading up on what I'd like to build. After going an Apple sponsered Leopard demo for work I got the MAC PRO bug even worse than before. I immeadiately priced an 8-Core system on their website and it was close to $4000.00. I then thought about building my own and that is how i found this forum. My research indicates that a Greencreek 5000x chipset board should be fairly close to what Apple sell. I went about looking for such a board and found a Supermicro Workstation board that someone has already mentioned. Here is the system I priced out on Newegg.com
$218.00
$279.00
$109.99
$0.00

Total $1,890.95

Does anyone know if this combo will work? I would like to build this with my tax return this year. I will watch this thread to see how others do until I buy my hardware.

Right now someone is messing with the Tyan board and we will see how that goes. Its basically the same setup except it doesnt support the processor you chose. If all goes well it could open the door to 1/2 cost Macpro's which would be nice!

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Ok here we go, I am actually writing this post from the Octa machine right now.
Obviously Networking is fine.
This thing boots extremely fast even from the USB drive so I can only imagine what it would do with a good install on a fast SATA drive!
Ethernet is only working on one of the ports so far but I am sure there is a way to fix that hopefully.
Both Firewire 800 ports of my add in PCI-X card are workng perfectly, the MyBook 1TB drives are mounted and show as Firewire drives.
I have both monitors lit up right now @ 1280x1024 as these are 19" 4x3 LCD's and that is native max resolution for these monitors.
My DVD drive (IDE) is working perfectly, I can burn a DVD with Toast and DVD's mount just fine.
Aslo the built in Firewire works, I just plugged in a small FW drive I have and it mounted fine.

The hardware tab in System Profiler shows the following.

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: Mac Pro
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh
Serial Number: YM8659M6W0A

Heres the GPU stuff:

GeForce 8800 GTS:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8800 GTS
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0193
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: NVinject 0.1.5
Displays:
SENERGY 714:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
SENERGY 714:

SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)

SAS Domain 0:

Vendor: LSILogic
Product: S2696
Revision: Firmware 1.10.5.0
Initiator Identifier: 63

I have a Creative Audigy sound card in here right now and onboard Audio turned off in Bios but I will pull the Audigy and test the onboard unless someone knows how to get the Audigy working?

At this point I am over my head guys, so heres a little history on me.

I owned my very first Mac which was a IIc back in 1986 or whatever.
From then until roughly 2004 I owned every single new Mac that came out, my last brand new Mac purchase was a G4 dual 1.24Ghz MDD, at that point I became so pissed that I could not upgrade my Macs more than buying a processor add in card that I gave up on Apple unless they were given to me to use at work (which they were a lot) in favor of PC hardware which I could build to suit my needs.

So suffice it to say, I have very little real world experience in OSX.
I have been into video work for almost 15 years now, and back in 2000 I was actually sent a letter from the (then) head of the QuickTime team at Apple congratulating me on being the first person to acheive full screen 640x480 streaming video online as I was the head of a major television stars web video efforts, Apple was happy with me, and I still have that letter, and people still give me free stuff to play with as a result of those efforts back then.

Now, I am going to need some serious help here if you want to know anything about this system.
I am willing to guinnea pig my pride and joy to help the collective but you need to be willing to help me through this, you also need to assume I know absolutely nothing about the unix kernel, nor do I know anything about code or how to do codec dumps or anything of the sort....I need to be guided.

I did root through the manula for the 2696 and also called tech support to ask a few questions and what I discovered is that virtually everything on the board is controlled by the Intel ESB2 chip, everything except one of the PCI slots and the processors. so the fact that my massive RAID is not showing up may have something to do with the fact that it is a RAID that OSX cant see for some reason?
There are 5 hard drives in this machine that dont show up under Leopard right now, everything else seems to work.
The onboard Audio is a Realtek w/ALC888 as was mentioned.

Let the games begin, and at some point maybe we should do this via chat or some other faster form of communication .?.

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Quadros Anyone?!? http://forum.insanel...showtopic=83090

Ok right now I am doing a major backup of all of my digitized video content to my external MyBooks, it is going to take a couple of hours to get 300 gigs backed up, it was already backed up to one of the MyBooks but I need to make sure I have everything completely safe before I start testing so I am backing it up to another MyBook as well as to my Windows Home Server so it will be in 3 places safely in case the worst happens.

I will then boot back into the USB drive and start some tests.

I can tell you this, Leppard recognized my Firewire 800 card right off the bat because I could see the MyBooks which are connected Firewire 800 so thats a good thing.

Give me an hour or so to get this stuff safe and I will dive in.

Which Firewire 800 Card do you have?

$218.00
$279.00
$109.99
$0.00

Total $1,890.95

as much as this might be going against the thread, For a couple hundred difference, I'd still go for a real Mac Pro... :angry2:

Ok here we go, I am actually writing this post from the Octa machine right now.
Obviously Networking is fine.
This thing boots extremely fast even from the USB drive so I can only imagine what it would do with a good install on a fast SATA drive!
Ethernet is only working on one of the ports so far but I am sure there is a way to fix that hopefully.
Both Firewire 800 ports of my add in PCI-X card are workng perfectly, the MyBook 1TB drives are mounted and show as Firewire drives.
I have both monitors lit up right now @ 1280x1024 as these are 19" 4x3 LCD's and that is native max resolution for these monitors.
My DVD drive (IDE) is working perfectly, I can burn a DVD with Toast and DVD's mount just fine.
Aslo the built in Firewire works, I just plugged in a small FW drive I have and it mounted fine.

The hardware tab in System Profiler shows the following.

Model Name: Mac
Model Identifier: Mac Pro
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh
Serial Number: YM8659M6W0A

Heres the GPU stuff:

GeForce 8800 GTS:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8800 GTS
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0193
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: NVinject 0.1.5
Displays:
SENERGY 714:
Main Display: Yes
SENERGY 714:

SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)

SAS Domain 0:

Vendor: LSILogic
Product: S2696
Revision: Firmware 1.10.5.0
Initiator Identifier: 63

I have a Creative Audigy sound card in here right now and onboard Audio turned off in Bios but I will pull the Audigy and test the onboard unless someone knows how to get the Audigy working?

At this point I am over my head guys, so heres a little history on me.

I owned my very first Mac which was a IIc back in 1986 or whatever.
From then until roughly 2004 I owned every single new Mac that came out, my last brand new Mac purchase was a G4 dual 1.24Ghz MDD, at that point I became so pissed that I could not upgrade my Macs more than buying a processor add in card that I gave up on Apple unless they were given to me to use at work (which they were a lot) in favor of PC hardware which I could build to suit my needs.

So suffice it to say, I have very little real world experience in OSX.
I have been into video work for almost 15 years now, and back in 2000 I was actually sent a letter from the (then) head of the QuickTime team at Apple congratulating me on being the first person to acheive full screen 640x480 streaming video online as I was the head of a major television stars web video efforts, Apple was happy with me, and I still have that letter, and people still give me free stuff to play with as a result of those efforts back then.

Now, I am going to need some serious help here if you want to know anything about this system.
I am willing to guinnea pig my pride and joy to help the collective but you need to be willing to help me through this, you also need to assume I know absolutely nothing about the unix kernel, nor do I know anything about code or how to do codec dumps or anything of the sort....I need to be guided.

I did root through the manula for the 2696 and also called tech support to ask a few questions and what I discovered is that virtually everything on the board is controlled by the Intel ESB2 chip, everything except one of the PCI slots and the processors. so the fact that my massive RAID is not showing up may have something to do with the fact that it is a RAID that OSX cant see for some reason?
There are 5 hard drives in this machine that dont show up under Leopard right now, everything else seems to work.
The onboard Audio is a Realtek w/ALC888 as was mentioned.

Let the games begin, and at some point maybe we should do this via chat or some other faster form of communication .?.

Again, if it doesn't take too much out of your time, List all your hardware, or you can just update you sig :)

I'll read more and give feedback when I have time late, good luck with the whole process, this is loooking very good and thanks for sharing this knowledge with us, very appreciated!

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Quadros Anyone?!? http://forum.insanel...showtopic=83090

Which Firewire 800 Card do you have?

as much as this might be going against the thread, For a couple hundred difference, I'd still go for a real Mac Pro... ;)

Again, if it doesn't take too much out of your time, List all your hardware, or you can just update you sig ;)

I'll read more and give feedback when I have time late, good luck with the whole process, this is loooking very good and thanks for sharing this knowledge with us, very appreciated!

This Firewire 800 Card

Sig Updated

Thanks!

Hyper X

Hyper X

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Furry, Video Games, Sci-Fi, Comedy, Movies, Computers, Macs, Cars, Anime, and RPG's
Hardware raids never work in OSX it seems... so thats sorta out.

Though you should be able to get the onboard audio working... do a quick search for skippyretard

davkenrem

davkenrem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

as much as this might be going against the thread, For a couple hundred difference, I'd still go for a real Mac Pro... :)

Mac Pro Part Number: Z0EM One 16x SuperDrive
Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
4GB (4 x 1GB)
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Accessory kit
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)

Total $3,849.00

1-SUPERMICRO MBD-X7DAL-E-O ATX Server Motherboard

$3,849.00
- $1,890.95
--------------
$1958.05

I think you meant to say a couple of thousand difference......

Nitramusa

Nitramusa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Mac Pro Part Number: Z0EM One 16x SuperDrive
Apple Mighty Mouse
4GB (4 x 1GB)
Accessory kit

Total $3,849.00

$3,849.00
- $1,890.95
--------------
$1958.05

Take only the standard 2GB RAM of Apple. Buy the rest @ 3rd party.

I think you forgot some things. A Mac Pro got a very expensive and powerfull PSU (I think about 800Watts, maybe more) that costs around 250-300 euro if u wanna buy it separate. Also the case is very expensive and nice too....
The new Mac Pro's are competitive with non-apple computers for sure...

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Mac Pro Part Number: Z0EM
One 16x SuperDrive
Apple Mighty Mouse
4GB (4 x 1GB)
Accessory kit

Total $3,849.00

$3,849.00
- $1,890.95
--------------
$1958.05

hmm...for those of you who are new to this thread, we're discussing about an 8-Core Motherboard for OSx86.

Mac Pro
[/size]One 16x SuperDrive < Did OP include Optical Drives?
Apple Mighty Mouse < ?
Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X < ?
4GB (4 x 1GB) < 3rd party vendor/distributor
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s < Same as above
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s < Same as above
Accessory kit < ?

Total $3,849.00 (price subject to change...no seriously)

VS.

2-Intel Xeon E5410 2.33GHz LGA 771 80W Processors $592.00 < interesting...2.33 GHz vs. 2.8 GHz !?! Find out how much more a 2.8 GHz would cost you.
2-SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $218.00
1-BFG Tech GeForce 8800GT BFGE88512GTOCE Video Card $279.00
1-Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply $109.99 < like above mentioned, a higher wattage PSU would be recommended
Modded G5 Case (free from work) $0.00 < Free!?!? Great stuff, too bad not everyone can get a Modded G5 case for Free

Total $1,890.95 < (questionable.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 Rule of thumb: You should know that, when compiling parts, and considering the COST, you should already know that adding hardware or buying hardware from Apple is overpriced. This goes in accordance with RAM (Memory), Hard Drive(s), etc...Take that thought in consideration when you plan to upgrade.

2) Why would include Apple Keyboard, Mouse, Accesory Kit (?), Mac OS X, (regardless that they're free), Superdrive, in this list? The original poster did not include peripheral devices, why should you count that in a factor? Why don't you include displays and software while you're at it? Especially for OS, when you're discussing this in a hackintosh thread?

3) 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon Prcoessor vs. 2.33 GHz Intel Xeon Processor...hmm...what's wrong with this picture? of course if you want to buy a less expensive processor, slower speed,etc...the cost will be cheaper. ($300 x2 difference)

MY point is, if you really want to knitpick every single word, try a bit harder and at least validate what you're posting. Was it really worth posting that? For the money the original poster is spending, I'd rather spend it on a Mac Pro, hands down, my personal opinion/preference? sure, but it's only whats suggested. If the original poster wants to take the other route...awesome!

...so back to 8-core motherboard for hackintosh, I updated my second post with 2-new Supermicro motherboards. One includes a later chipset, Intel 5400 Chipset. Not that many feedback on the performance however, since it's still considered new.

groox

groox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi, this is a link to the page that have this kind of adpaters

http://www.orbitmicr...pter-p-755.html

Have fun.

Team Scream

Team Scream

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I decided to post up what I did in the Genius Bar here is a link: Click This Link

Hyper X

Hyper X

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
ALC888 Drivers

The Video card, just do a search. Since 10.5.2 is not officially out you will need to use the beta drivers and there is a special string you need to put in natit for 640MB

weaksauce12

weaksauce12

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
You can do RAID via a PCI Express card (do a search for SI3132 here).

I've been keeping an eye on the Harpertown systems but it doesn't seem worth it to do a new build for 8-cores, at least for the higher-end stuff...the 3.2ghz Penryns are roughly $1500 each and the board is around $400, so you're looking at $3400 right off the bat. Adding in a quality case that will fit the large motherboard ($300) plus a good power supply ($200), then all the little details that the Mac Pro includes (2gb ram, DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, 320gb hard drive, 2600xt video card) and you're just about even with the Mac Pro. At best you save a few hundred dollars, but for a few hundred dollars more you get a perfectly-working real Mac Pro with zero problems, the ability to use ALL internal Mac cards, multiple graphics cards for more than 2 monitors, and so on. The cost/benefit ratio right now is geared more towards single-processor systems or older dual-processor or less-power dual-processor systems.

With that said, I really, really wish someone would release a quad-processor board with a 16x PCI Express slot :)

deleted_account

deleted_account

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

You can do RAID via a PCI Express card (do a search for SI3132 here).

I've been keeping an eye on the Harpertown systems but it doesn't seem worth it to do a new build for 8-cores, at least for the higher-end stuff...the 3.2ghz Penryns are roughly $1500 each and the board is around $400, so you're looking at $3400 right off the bat. Adding in a quality case that will fit the large motherboard ($300) plus a good power supply ($200), then all the little details that the Mac Pro includes (2gb ram, DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, 320gb hard drive, 2600xt video card) and you're just about even with the Mac Pro. At best you save a few hundred dollars, but for a few hundred dollars more you get a perfectly-working real Mac Pro with zero problems, the ability to use ALL internal Mac cards, multiple graphics cards for more than 2 monitors, and so on. The cost/benefit ratio right now is geared more towards single-processor systems or older dual-processor or less-power dual-processor systems.

With that said, I really, really wish someone would release a quad-processor board with a 16x PCI Express slot :P

Great points as usual Weaksauce! :)

If you mean quad-socket processor motherboard with PCIe x16, this one has two:

TYAN S4881G2NR

Posted Image
Posted Image

...too bad it's for AMD!??! ;)

RAID, I have a Sonnet Tempo e4i 4-Sata Port PCie x4, looking forward to trying it out, once I find that motherboard that is!

crackintosh

crackintosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
^looks like there is one

http://www.supermicr.../7300/X7QC3.cfm
  • Supports up to four Intel 64-bit Xeon MP processor(s) of the same type below:
  • Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor 7300 sequence
  • Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor 7200 sequence
1 (x8) PCI-e (using X16 slot)

whats interesting is that the E5410 (2.33 GHz quad-core, 12MB L2) is $290 compared with the 2.83 GHz bein $710, so you could build a dual 2.33 for less than a single 2.83. i was planning on building a Q9450/x38 setup but assumin you could get a 771 mobo that works good in osx86 i wonder how a dual xeon would perform against a Q9450. obviously it would cost you a few hundred more but i might think about going that route. the Q9450 will probably be over $300 when it comes out and by that time the 5410 should be around 250.

if i could get the money id try buildin a quad core xeon setup with the supermicro mobo up there and xeon 7300 series processors. i need to build the fastest hackintosh ever ;)

Hyper X

Hyper X

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
The key think people forget is you can kick it down to Quad 2.33 which doesnt hurt that bad and be in a far far better place money wise... also can kick the video down and ram to 4 gigs for even MORE saving... getting the machine below 2000... I was able to build a nice machine for about 1700 including shipping with octo-core and 4 gigs of ram. Which is not that much more then people using Q6600's!

Hyper X

Hyper X

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
1 Antec TITAN650 Black 1.0mm SECC Server Case $170.00
1 TYAN S5396A2NRF Dual 771 Intel 5400 SSI / Extended ATX Server $420.00
1 XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 $259.99
2 Intel Xeon E5410 Harpertown 2.33GHz LGA 771 $590.00
4 CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) ECC $319.96
1 SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA2 $109.99
1 Pioneer 20X DVDR DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK $29.99
________
Subtotal: $1,899.93

All From Newegg.com, All easy to buy right now. It still hands down kills the mac at the same stats. Apple would sell such a machine for about 2799 then add 200 for the video and well 320 for the ram ;P and you can see it would beat apple price by almost 1/2. So See na sayers! It is possible!

P.S. Can I borrow 2K from someone?

Tex1ntux

Tex1ntux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
The two Mac Pros I am buying will be upgraded for 2x 3.2 GHz Harpertowns with AppleCare and then upgraded with 12GB of ram, 3TB of storage, and a compatible raid card (for each) from Newegg. Add in 4x Dell 3007wfp-hc monitors at the total comes to: $16,270.
I got that by doubling the total of these numbers:

~4,400 for each Pro
~250 for AppleCare
~540 for 6x 2GB FB-DIMMs
~620 for 4x 750GB hdds
~225 for RocketRaid card
~2100 for 2x 3007WFP-HCs

I could build the workstations myself, but the only place I'd save money would be (at most) a few grand on the actual Mac Pro, but if you're going to spend this much money anyways why skimp out of a few hundred extra bucks to get the full system?

weaksauce12

weaksauce12

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

^looks like there is one

http://www.supermicr.../7300/X7QC3.cfm

• Supports up to four Intel 64-bit Xeon MP processor(s) of the same type below:
  • Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor 7300 sequence
  • Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor 7200 sequence
1 (x8) PCI-e (using X16 slot)
whats interesting is that the E5410 (2.33 GHz quad-core, 12MB L2) is $290 compared with the 2.83 GHz bein $710, so you could build a dual 2.33 for less than a single 2.83. i was planning on building a Q9450/x38 setup but assumin you could get a 771 mobo that works good in osx86 i wonder how a dual xeon would perform against a Q9450. obviously it would cost you a few hundred more but i might think about going that route. the Q9450 will probably be over $300 when it comes out and by that time the 5410 should be around 250.

if i could get the money id try buildin a quad core xeon setup with the supermicro mobo up there and xeon 7300 series processors. i need to build the fastest hackintosh ever :)

The SuperMicro X7QC3 is good but it uses an 8x PCI Express slot electrically in a 16x PCI Express physical port - you can fit 16x cards but you can only use them at 8x. HOWEVER, from my recent research it seems that modern cards don't use nearly the full bandwidth that 16x PCI Express has to offer, so we should be okay running 8x cards in a 16x slot. I'll wait until they release 8-core processors before I pick up one of these beasties, however (should be later this year!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy