Suggestion: Better Mac News

Ranger

6 posts in this topic

This site does a great job covering OSx86 news and sometimes I wish you covered more general Mac news. I think you could do it better than most sites.

Have you ever thought about starting up a sister site to talk about regular Mac stuff? I know there are a lot of people (like me) who would help post news stories.

Well, thanks for the compliment Ranger.

Yeah, I've thought about starting up another news site to cover general mac news, since I don't really know of too many good sites that focus on nerdy mac news, ya know? Like a ton of deep hardware, etc. very unlike MacNN, etc. I'm pretty sure we could work it out so that both sites were able to do a good job without sacrificing the quality of the other.

Is that a kind of site that you'd go to? What does everyone think?

for gosh sakes, don't get distracted and over extended. this site can end up being much more than a hobby if you don't lose focus. :lol:

my suggestion is to concentrate on organizing the forums, keeping your antenna tuned for osx86 news for the front page, encourage the posting of reviews of osX intel software, running windows on mac, and osx on generic pc, and of tips and tricks specific to osX86 and intel macs, such as darwine, darwinports, etc.

do one thing well.

Well, quixos, you make a good point about doing one thing and doing it well, although I think this could certainly be the extension of what we are currently doing with OSx86 news. I will have to say that there has been a lot of news that is about Macs that I haven't been able to cover since it's outside the realm of OSx86.

The other benefit that I see coming from a deep-tech Mac site is that it would bring in more experienced Mac users, which our current forum lacks in a lot of ways (since many of us are so new to the OS.

Also, as quixos points out, there is the real issue of getting overextended. I don't think that would be as big of a deal if we picked several users to help with the news posting (which would mean less work for me, so that I could focus elsewhere). Anyway, I can assure you that will all our future ventures, we'll make sure this site runs as well as it has.

It's a very interesting idea, to say the least. What does everyone else think?

The other benefit that I see coming from a deep-tech Mac site is that it would bring in more experienced Mac users, which our current forum lacks in a lot of ways (since many of us are so new to the OS.

I agree. We are getting more "typical" Mac users all the time (like myself), so I know that I would like to have more of the same... except a little different. :)

Also, as quixos points out, there is the real issue of getting overextended. I don't think that would be as big of a deal if we picked several users to help with the news posting (which would mean less work for me, so that I could focus elsewhere). Anyway, I can assure you that will all our future ventures, we'll make sure this site runs as well as it has.

I trust you when you say this, which is why I think it's a great idea!

I really see this as a win/win situation.