Semi-Official Intel DP35DP board thread

AndrewNZ

75 posts in this topic

Insanely Mac forums has little or no info on this board's suitability as a basis for an OS X86 PC, so this is an attempt to pool whatever modest amount of info that does exist into a central resource. Hopefully, in time, an "official" thread will develop from this with fixes and workarounds that will allow the DP35DP board to become the nucleus of a decent OS X86 system.

It has to be said that the current prognosis isn't that good, at least based on my experience. However, that might well be due to my incompetence and inexperience. Hopefully that's the case and those smarter and more knowledgable than me will supply solutions that get the DP35DP up and running under OS X.

The following post will give a rundown of my trials so far, and anyone else who can add info, both good and bad, will be welcome to do so.

Thanks for reading. :euro:

Cheers,

Andy.

The story so far:

The First issue I found was that the OSX86 installer was unable to see the IDE (PATA) drive I chose to use as my OS X volume. (This applied to both Uphuck's 10.4.9 install and XxX's 10.4.11 version.)

When Disk Utility looks for the drives, the IDE drive is never discovered. This is true whether the BIOS is set to SATA as RAID, SATA as IDE or SATA as AHCI. The IDE drive was set to Master on the jumpers and was the only device on the IDE port. I seems to be related to Intel's P35 chipset not supporting IDE and instead, the IDE support being supplied by a JMicron chip. The OSX installer was never able to see either an IDE DVD-RW or HDD.

One way to get the install to 'take' is to put the IDE drive in a USB2 enclosure and install from an internal SATA DVD drive (set to SATA as AHCI) or an external USB DVD-RW. With the USB2 external plugged in, and the BIOS reset to SATA as RAID, the installation boots into OS X fine. But the latency involved in running the OS across the USB bus makes that solution rather unrealistic.

The path I chose in the end was to use a PATA>SATA adapter to trick the installer into believing that the IDE HDD is in fact a SATA HDD. I also replaced my existing IDE DVD-RW with a SATA version.

Another issue is that there don't appear to be any working drivers for the Intel Gigabit LAN yet, a problem I skirted by dropping in a spare RealTek LAN card I had lying around. It's a cheap solution but very effective. I'd like to get the onboard LAN operating though, even if it's just for the challenge and the completeness of the hack. :)

Sound was a problem as well but has since been overcome with the help of other contributors and a nifty little app called KextHelper (See the posts further down for specifics). As at this moment, audio output is working in stereo out but I haven't tested 7.1 or input. So far as I can tell, it's the only solution that works for the SigmaTel 9271D HDA version this board sports.

Lastly, as if I hadn't made this difficult enough for myself, I installed a Gigabyte nVidia 8500GT based graphics card (which seems to use the G92) and so far there appears to be no working kext for that chipset in Tiger. Darn... (There are recent reports of some success with 8XXX series graphics if your OS X86 installation is Leo 10.5.x, however. But as this is a Tiger forum, I'll pass on that info and suggest that the Leopard forum will be a better place to learn more).

I tried running with the boot plist modified to include the 1280x1024x32@85 line. Note however that the 85 Hz suffix has no effect, and I was using the display at the default 60 Hz, flickery though it is, having no choice. But in the end the lack of acceleration (QE/CI) got to me and I bought a refurbished 6600GT based board for about $40 US which will be handy as a spare when (if) the 8500GT drivers ever happen. One lives in hope. :)

The 6600GT works with full res and depth controls, QE/CI supported and calibration available. I used the Titan kext from the install 10.4.11 DVD and it's been flawless so far.

More info later when there's been further testing and results to share.

Cheers,

Andy.

Baby steps...

A little digging in the wider community reveals that Intel's P35 chipset does not support PATA, and the implementation on the DP35DP MB is provided via a JMicron chip. So until the OS X installer/Disk Utility routines have support for JMicron, then the PATA port on the board is a dead duck. Bummer.

I'm going to try a PCI>IDE adapter card in the machine to see if that will get the installer interested. Since I have one already, it can't hurt to try.

[update: PCI>IDE adapter idea failed miserably :( so the adapter is headed for the parts bin. As usual, Vista recognised it immediately, but the OS X86 installer did not.]

Another angle might be attempting to fool the system into seeing the PATA drive as SATA by using an adaptor/bridge. Not certain if such a thing exists but it's worth a look.

[update: Found an IDE>SATA adapter and will pick it up tomorrow. I can't say I'm overly optimistic about the likelihood of success, but it's another experiment.]

[update: More on the audio front. Did a clean install with the XxX 10.4.11 DVD and this time the SigmaTel patch resulted in a "success message, rather than the error message I received previously, however there still doesn't appear to be any audio working. System Prefs sound icon shows the sliders set at full noise, but no output or input device listed. I'm assuming that the patch doesn't work on some boards, success message notwithstanding. Pity.]

I'll update this further once I've had a crack at the IDE>SATA thing and maybe I'll try to find another JMicron kext to make IDE drives visible if that doesn't work. Will keep you posted.

[update: Found a pkg file for a different MB that also uses the P35 chipset, which has made SATA drives visible, albeit in AHCI mode. Yet to test it in IDE mode. In RAID mode, it doesn't see SATA drives however. I'll update again after I try the PATA>SATA adapter.]

:P

OK, here's where things stand.

The P35 based motherboard is not really a natural for OS X86, but as I'm discovering, if you bear in mind a few things, it's not really that hard.

A few points to note.

If your OS X86 drive is an IDE (PATA) one, as things stand it will work only in a USB external enclosure (slow, owing to latency across the USB bus), or if you make it appear to be a SATA drive by means of a PATA to SATA adapter card. (The one I use is an ST Lab S-240, around US$30 or less).

So, to avoid having to jump through the hoops I did, bite the bullet and get a SATA drive to install to, or install to a partition on an existing SATA drive. Discard the notion of using a USB2 external because although it will work, it's going to be slow.

I had to install a kext pkg to see the SATA drives since the XxX install DVD didn't have anything that worked for me. YMMV. The package I used is gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2.dmg which is obviously for a different motherboard than the Intel DP35DP I'm using. I installed the JMicron DS3-4 SATA-IDE fix for 10.4.8 from within that combo pkg and I am now able to see all SATA drives, which was not possible before installing it. Maybe it will not be required with your install, but this is not so much 'science' we're talking here. And maybe quite a lot of voodoo? ... :P And yes, my install is 10.4.11. Go figure.

I would recommend a SATA DVD RW drive for installing as it worked for me.

Another point to note is the BIOS setting. The install DVD RW and the OS X86 install disk are visible in both IDE and AHCI modes in the drive settings under SATA. RAID mode has never worked for me. In the end, I settled on AHCI as I read somewhere on these forums that OS X prefers AHCI. That might not be true, but it works for me.

As a result of RAID not working, the SATA RAID0 that I use for Vista doesn't function, and I can't multi-boot. That's just the way it is I'm afraid. Given the performance boost I get from the RAID0 in Vista, I'm not about to disable it so that's a cross I'll have to bear.

In case the above posts aren't clear, the P35 chipset doesn't support IDE/PATA.

This Intel board has its IDE functionality provided by a JMicron chip which doesn't seem to be recognised by the OS X86 installer app. That means, in short, that the DVD RW drive cannot be an IDE one connected to the on-board IDE controller. To get this to work, the IDE DVD RW drive must be connected externally as a USB drive (via an enclosure or adapter), or as a SATA drive (via an adapter).

The same goes for the HDD you intend to install OS X86 onto. If it's an IDE drive plugged into the IDE port on the motherboard, it won't be found by the installer. To get around this, the IDE HDD will have to be attached via USB or be converted to SATA (via an adapter). It will not be found by the installer unless it's in a SATA mode other than RAID - the two other options being IDE mode or AHCI mode.

At this point I recommend AHCI.

So, in summary, if you have either an IDE DVD/RW or an IDE HDD (or if you're unlucky like me, both), you have a couple of hoops to jump through which SATA users don't have to. But bear in mind that 'SATA as RAID' in the BIOS will not work. You must change to either 'SATA as IDE' or 'SATA as AHCI'.

Hope that clears things up a little.

So Really, if both the HDD and the DVD-ROM are SATA.. then really this board does not have an issue, right?

So one of the 1st advice for your FAQ for this board, is a simple advice: DO NOT USE the IDE controller for the HDD or the DVD to boot from.

I will get my DVD-RW ( Pioneer ) exchanged to SATA and will try it next week.

Will get back with results observations.

So Really, if both the HDD and the DVD-ROM are SATA.. then really this board does not have an issue, right?

So one of the 1st advice for your FAQ for this board, is a simple advice: DO NOT USE the IDE controller for the HDD or the DVD to boot from.

Well running Leopard + pc efi + vanilla kernel here. That said I have a pci based ethernet and usb audio from my precedent rig.

That seems to be the case at least as regards the IO contollers. Avoid the IDE/PATA port and use SATA and it works fine.

Looking forward to reading your results.

Cheers.

Ok, got the SATA Pioneer DVD-RW, and set it on ch0, then the 250gb drive on 1ch. ( out of 4 )

I am using the Jas S 10.4.8 for now, see if it would work. I deleted the windows install partition, could not figure out a way to get both on 1 drive for now, will do it later. The thought: would it make more sense to just get another sata drive, and set it as the Windows OS drive, instead of putting both os on 1 drive.

It is still loading, but at least that is a progress, much further then I got before.

BIOS SATA set as AHCI, for now. nothing on the IDE port.

OK.. Got the OS X installed!!!

I have tried both the JAS 10.4.8 and Uphuch 10.4.9

For me, only JAS 10.4.8 went further, then "still looking for drive"

For now: no sound, no lan

Video is 1024x768

Video card is:E-Geforce 8600GT 256MB, DDR3.

Which patches, or updates you suggest to install to make the existing hardware operational?

Thank you

OK.. Got the OS X installed!!!

Which patches, or updates you suggest to install to make the existing hardware operational?

Thank you

Cool that you have OS X installed. Kind of a thrill to finally overcome the challenges and see it running on a PC. :P

I'm running 10.4.11 which has its own issues, so like you, I have no sound and although my resolution is 1280x1024, the refresh is only 60Hz. Flickery as all get out when there's a lot of white visible on the monitor. That wouldn't be a problem if I was using an LCD display, but I have the PC connected to a 20" CRT.

As yet I have seen no drivers available for the 8500/8600 series graphics cards so I can't help you there. With Apple's move to these cards in future Macs I would expect the driver issues to be resolved. Until then, I put up with the flicker.

Sound has been resolved for some P35 boards and may well work for you. Here's a link that points to a discussion/possible solution. Unfortunately it wasn't successful for me but that might be down to my incompetence.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=hda+patcher

I bypassed the LAN issue with a cheap Realtek Gigabit NIC which I supported with the included driver from the install DVD. It works perfectly, so it's a cheap workaround.

HTH for the time being.

Cheers.

Hi,

Well I'm another one with the Intel dp35dp :) and running Leopard on it...

the config (see my signature)

walkthrough:

1 - install windows xp on my 120gb disk

2 - partition magic to resize and create a new partition for leopard

3 - insert kalyway dvd on SATA DVD

4 - after the boot I use the disktool to rename and format the leopard partition

5 - check only the nvidia

6 - install leopard ....... .......

7 - after installation not sound and ethernet

8 - install the tartuga teste driver for sound

9 - installing a cheep realtek ethernet (and disabling in the bios the onboard ethernet)

10 - install realtek driver from the kalyway DVD

11 - install darwing boot loader

só now i have every runnig :) and its very stable.... but there always a but... no sleep mode.

Anyone have tried to run with the vanilla kernel on this board, because i have tried to install Kalyway With vanilla kernel with no success (any ideas)

ps: sorry about my poor English ;)

1 - install windows xp on my 120gb disk

2 - partition magic to resize and create a new partition for leopard

3 - insert kalyway dvd on SATA DVD

4 - after the boot I use the disktool to rename and format the leopard partition

5 - check only the nvidia

6 - install leopard ....... .......

7 - after installation not sound and ethernet

9 - installing a cheep realtek ethernet (and disabling in the bios the onboard ethernet)

10 - install realtek driver from the kalyway DVD

11 - install darwing boot loader

Can you elaborate on #8? I'd like to get the audio going on my set-up but I've had no luck thus far. If you can provide a link perhaps?

Thanks in advance. :blink:

I'm on Kalyway 10.5.1. Vanilla. Tried several install method and the one that worked was to use mbr partition instead of guid.

Can you elaborate on #8? I'd like to get the audio going on my set-up but I've had no luck thus far. If you can provide a link perhaps?
Not sure if we used the same patch, but I got mine working with these file...STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zipfrom this thread... AppleHDA SolutionIt didn't worked for me at the first restart. But when I reboot the second time (without doing anymore tweaks), it worked! Haven't tried the inputs (mic) yet, but sounds are coming out from my headphone.
And it's Taruga!!! The least we can do is spell his name right.wink_anim.gif

Hi!

I'm on Kalyway 10.5.1. Vanilla. Tried several install method and the one that worked was to use mbr partition instead of guid.Not sure if we used the same patch, but I got mine working with these file...STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zipfrom this thread... AppleHDA SolutionIt didn't worked for me at the first restart. But when I reboot the second time (without doing anymore tweaks), it worked! Haven't tried the inputs (mic) yet, but sounds are coming out from my headphone.And it's Taruga!!! The least we can do is spell his name right.wink_anim.gif

STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zip :)

Ooooops Taruga, Sorry....

did you select the vanilla kernel and the path acpi or only the vanilla? ,because I've tryed whith both selected and I didn't have sucess (did you change any thing in the bios setings?)

did you select the vanilla kernel and the path acpi or only the vanilla? ,because I've tryed whith both selected and I didn't have sucess (did you change any thing in the bios setings?)
Oh, I don't remember, but I think I did select both, and made sure that I select MBR Boot Efi instead of guid. Bios: drive is set at AHCI.The only problem I have right now, aside from the onboard lan, is the P-ATA ide, which is not detected. Tried the jmicron patch but it didn't work.

I'm using the latest bios btw, don't know if it helps though.

Oh, I don't remember, but I think I did select both, and made sure that I select MBR Boot Efi instead of guid. Bios: drive is set at AHCI.The only problem I have right now, aside from the onboard lan, is the P-ATA ide, which is not detected. Tried the jmicron patch but it didn't work.

I'm using the latest bios btw, don't know if it helps though.

Im gone trie it, thanks

PS: I have no probs with P-ata because alll my drives are SATA...

I'm on Kalyway 10.5.1. Vanilla. Tried several install method and the one that worked was to use mbr partition instead of guid.Not sure if we used the same patch, but I got mine working with these file...STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zipfrom this thread... AppleHDA SolutionIt didn't worked for me at the first restart. But when I reboot the second time (without doing anymore tweaks), it worked! Haven't tried the inputs (mic) yet, but sounds are coming out from my headphone.And it's Taruga!!! The least we can do is spell his name right.wink_anim.gif

Thanks for your help. Used the "STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zip" solution with KextHelper from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=54098

which together seem to have done the trick. The output side of things is working fine although I haven't needed to test the inputs. I'll update this when I've done so.

So, once again, thanks a bunch. Another step closer to a fully working DP35DP Hackintosh. :P

Thanks for your help. Used the "STAC9271D_0x83847627_testing.zip" solution with KextHelper from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=54098

which together seem to have done the trick. The output side of things is working fine although I haven't needed to test the inputs. I'll update this when I've done so.

So, once again, thanks a bunch. Another step closer to a fully working DP35DP Hackintosh. :unsure:

whith this solution kernel panic for me..How I can restore the original files?

whith this solution kernel panic for me..How I can restore the original files?

If you didn't make backups of the kext files prior to running the hack, you'll need to reinstall the modified files from your installer DVD, assuming you have a record of the file names and locations. Search these forums for the tutorials on working from the command line prompt. There's a lot of info that tells you how to use the -s command to move, delete and rename files.

Or perhaps an easier method may be to re-install everything using the installer DVD.

HTH.

• 1 month later...

Just a tip for everybody, for me, Kalaway 10.5.1 doesn't work on this board at all. Period. But as soon as I discovered the iAKOS copy, under SATA as IDE, it installed and booted immediately and correctly. I used BootIt NG (a WONDERFUL boot loader and partitioning tool that I've been using for years) to dual boot between OS X and Vista, and it works flawlessly. Network and sound was an issue for me initially, but after inserting PCI cards to replace them there was no issue at all and now have myself a 100% working DP35DP dual booting Macintosh with vanilla kernel and all.

Just a tip for everybody, for me, Kalaway 10.5.1 doesn't work on this board at all. Period. But as soon as I discovered the iAKOS copy, under SATA as IDE, it installed and booted immediately and correctly. I used BootIt NG (a WONDERFUL boot loader and partitioning tool that I've been using for years) to dual boot between OS X and Vista, and it works flawlessly. Network and sound was an issue for me initially, but after inserting PCI cards to replace them there was no issue at all and now have myself a 100% working DP35DP dual booting Macintosh with vanilla kernel and all.

Glad to hear all's working for you. ;)

You can certainly get your onboard audio to work though. Still, if you're happy with your PCI audio, good on ya.

I haven't been able to get the onboard LAN operating but the cheapie RealTek PCI card works perfectly.

Now, if I can only get the 8500GT graphics to work properly... the 6600GT, while a little long in the tooth, fills in nicely for the moment. One can but hope that some driver god will get the 8500GT working with Tiger. I won't be holding my breath though.