BadAxe2 with GUID and EFI Tutorial

BJMoose

144 posts in this topic

Are you using a DL to burn the 6.6Gb Disk or are you simply putting the image on the desktop? I burned a .DMG from retail DVD and got 6.3Gb

Also what does "GM" stand for?

GM stands for "Gold Master". It is the version of 10.5 that shipped originally. And he burned from a DL but I used an original and it worked fine.

Thanks.

I notice you have a 7600GT. I have the same card. Is sleep working for you?

If I sleep and wake the text is fuzzy. Same thing if I change the resolution settings or rotate. I also notice movies dont look crisp.

Been so happy with my 10.5.2 system I've been avoiding installing the updates that have come in from Apple's Software Update...

Can anyone tell me if its okay / not okay to install the following FROM WITHIN (via) the Apple Software Update utility:

First: I'm using a 'retail 10.5' install with PCEFI and very minimal changes to my kexts... I also updated to 10.5.2 using the extra steps so no to break the OS after the 10.5.2 update was applied...

Here are the updates:

* Quicktime 7.4.5

iTunes 7.6.2

Front Row Update 2.1.3

* Time Machine and AirPort Up... 1.0

* Security Update 2008-002 1.1

* Safari 3.1.1

* Requires a restart...

Thanks for any/all info!

Dave

P.S. Also, I have installed the 1st two releases of the iPhone SDK (without issue) but have been holding off with the latest release since I feel like I've been pushing my luck and one of these SDK updates will trash everything...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks.

I notice you have a 7600GT. I have the same card. Is sleep working for you?

If I sleep and wake the text is fuzzy. Same thing if I change the resolution settings or rotate. I also notice movies dont look crisp.

Sleep works perfectly fine no issues with fuzzy text, movies look crisp too.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question: the bad axe 2 does not support booting from firewire devices (as far as I can tell).

Update:

Well I have everything working! Running OS X 10.5.2 installed from a disk image of the 10.5 retail disc. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 onto a 4G iPod to do this install (connected via USB). Just had to delete AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and install natit.kext and dsmos.kext

Just wondering, have any of you got sound working? I've found one way of doing it on the forums but results seem to be mixed, and it is a patch so it would alter the system a bit (I prefer not to do that). What is the least intrusive way to activate audio on the bad axe 2?

Thank you all for this wonderful thread, I now have my dream hackintosh :thumbsdown_anim:

:(

The best way to get sound working on a BADAXE2 is to use Taruga's ver 1.16 patch

:)

To answer my own question: the bad axe 2 does not support booting from firewire devices (as far as I can tell).

Update:

Well I have everything working! Running OS X 10.5.2 installed from a disk image of the 10.5 retail disc. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 onto a 4G iPod to do this install (connected via USB). Just had to delete AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext and install natit.kext and dsmos.kext

Just wondering, have any of you got sound working? I've found one way of doing it on the forums but results seem to be mixed, and it is a patch so it would alter the system a bit (I prefer not to do that). What is the least intrusive way to activate audio on the bad axe 2?

Thank you all for this wonderful thread, I now have my dream hackintosh :)

I was having trouble with kernel_task running away with me and decided to try a clean install using leoforallv3 since I saw a post suggesting GUID would install correctly on a badaxe2 that way. I started out with MBR and a kalyway10.5.2 install and kernel_task was taking up 80% of one core all the time.

The good news is the the clean install seems to have fixed the kernel_task problem (mostly - still comes up occasionally but a reboot fixes it). I'm now running vanilla kernel, AppleHDA patched sound, 2600PRO all fine. leoforallv3 didn't succeed in getting me a bootable GUID partition but that was simply fixed by setting the OSX partition bootable with fdisk.

The problems are that my internal harddrive shows up as a yellow external disk and the ATA DVD burner doesn't show up in OSX at all (I am running with AHCI enabled in bios). Any suggestions?

Thanks

Download these 2 kexts: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=22245

-Unzip.. drag into kext helper, or manually replace the kexts.

-Restart and you will have normal Drives Again

That fixed the sata hard drive - it now shows up as internal - thanks.

Still no DVD. No ATA shows up in system profiler and there is no Disc Burning device as well. I had this working with my earlier MBR Kalyway install so I know it can be done (with the same bios settings).

Do I need AppleIntelPIIXATA from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335

???

• 1 month later...

Just payed a little russian roulette and did a software update install of 10.5.4 (previous OS X was 10.5.3) and I'm using all Apple software + PC EFI + a few mods to the boot.plist + 2 kexts (1 for audio & dsmos)

Well it installed just fine on the badaxe2 (oh NV7600 256mb Video Card)

You milage WILL vary so don't get mad at me if it doesn't go as smooth for you... never take some random idiot posters word on ANYTHING :blink: backup your system FIRST!!!!

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

HI All!

First I wish to thank Netkas and all other peoples who have gave us the ability to run OsX on GPT with EFI.

Thank to BJMoose, Zzak, dter, Joelones and others for the very easy installation instructions.

I have installed the original DVD on a separate drive (Guid PT) incl. Efi_v8 according your instructions.

Very easy installation with less of patches. The BadAxe2 is a great board!

Everything run perfectly and much faster as before!

My question is: how to make a triple boot?

I have 2 additional drives (MBR) for iAtkos 10.5.1 and XP.

I have tried F10 during booting, it show me all drives but if I select "XP or iAtkos" it run everytime to the GPT drive and boot OsX. If I tap F8 it only show me OsX (on GPT).

I have spend a lot of time to read a lot of forums but don't found a solution.

BTW I have a small partition free (20Gb) on my 2nd drive (MBR). If you know a good bootloader, I could install there.

I used Acronis before, but it don't work with GPT... Did somebody know if Refit works on an Hackintosh? I have tried but without result.

It's will be great if somebody could help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All!

1) I know this tread is not the right place to speak about Multiboot but I only want to share my result.

I did'nt tested the solution from MacGirl. It seems to be little bit complicated at this time.

I tested the solution from Cyberbuddhah, posted here >> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115338#

This use the Bootloader from XP.

I added two line to the boot.ini

1. c:\boot.gpt="OS_Name_as_you_want"

2. c:\chain0="OS_Name_as_you_want"

boot.gpt to boot from Guid (GPT) drive.

boot0 to boot from MBR drive don't work for me. That's why I take chain0 from my iAtkos install disk.

To find under >> /usr/standalone/i386

2) BTW If you get problems to load Aperture or Final Cut and you know that your graphic card is compatible with these softwares. Then use OSX86Tools.app to Enable Quartz GL.

Bye.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Gordo,

I see you have a ATI 2600 Pro card ? where can I find the drivers for 10.5.2 ? and does your QE/CI work ?

Thanx

Vince

I was having trouble with kernel_task running away with me and decided to try a clean install using leoforallv3 since I saw a post suggesting GUID would install correctly on a badaxe2 that way. I started out with MBR and a kalyway10.5.2 install and kernel_task was taking up 80% of one core all the time.

The good news is the the clean install seems to have fixed the kernel_task problem (mostly - still comes up occasionally but a reboot fixes it). I'm now running vanilla kernel, AppleHDA patched sound, 2600PRO all fine. leoforallv3 didn't succeed in getting me a bootable GUID partition but that was simply fixed by setting the OSX partition bootable with fdisk.

The problems are that my internal harddrive shows up as a yellow external disk and the ATA DVD burner doesn't show up in OSX at all (I am running with AHCI enabled in bios). Any suggestions?

Thanks

is it possible to install retail dvd install on BADAXE2 Mobo with GUID partition?

i have try everything but it's not booting i did F10 to make sure i am booting from the rite partition.

but it go boot from my kalyway.

1 install EFI make my drive active

2 install retail dvd

any idea or suggestion?

thanks in advance

YES it works 10.5.5 retail in the progress of geeting 10.5.6 working.

• 1 month later...