Is it possible to get all four ICH9 SATA ports working?

Skitals

81 posts in this topic

I was on efi v4 before and sleep worked fine. Now with efi v8 (installed w/ kalyway 10.5.1 dvd) and vanilla kernel, sleep isn't working. My system completely shuts down when it goes into sleep. Could this have to do with the reboot/acpi fix also on the kalyway dvd? I don't know anything about that fix. Although it does fix reboot (before the system would not fully shutdown or reboot when using efi w/ vanilla kernel). Now it's fully shutting down when I dont want it to :)

I think there may be a sleep/suspend state setting in my bios. Maybe that could help.

skitals your disk score for your old 200gb startup disk smokes my disk score with a 10,000 rpm raptor !! WTF !! lol

maybe not using ahci is better ? maybe this is some cr*ppy old version 1 ahci and version 2 is better ? i had read somewhere that the akksys ? wd drives where good in the tests. 88 is good. 45 is not. i get 305 with no disk so the disk is really holding me back. feels v fast in real use though. You should see if you can run your ram faster.

yes there is a s3 sleep option in bios.

how did you set up raid on this mb ??

sleep occasionally works. when it does it goes to deep sleep no lights fan etc. when i wakes its fully back from looking shut down, like a hibernate. however most times it just crashes. same with shutdown or restart. when it crashes like that i have to redo my OC settings in bios. running with no OC however does not fix the problem.

I installed the kext and my system still runs fine. I had to reconfigure ethernet but now all fine.

I am hoping to get this all working without having to do a reinstall.

Results 216.78

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.1 (9B18)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model Mac Pro

Drive Type WDC WD740GD-00FLA2

CPU Test 209.20

GCD Loop 426.10 22.46 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 206.53 4.91 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 167.60 5.53 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 167.63 29.19 Mops/sec

Thread Test 342.34

Computation 322.67 6.54 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 364.57 15.68 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 262.91

System 316.35

Allocate 494.85 1.82 Malloc/sec

Fill 252.22 12263.31 MB/sec

Copy 285.93 5905.68 MB/sec

Stream 224.92

Copy 211.31 4364.52 MB/sec

Scale 212.15 4382.91 MB/sec

Add 239.56 5103.08 MB/sec

Triad 240.16 5137.59 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 351.36

Line 278.99 18.57 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 382.24 114.12 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 302.33 24.64 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 291.81 7.36 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 772.03 48.29 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 302.36

Spinning Squares 302.36 383.56 frames/sec

User Interface Test 610.96

Elements 610.96 2.80 Krefresh/sec

Disk Test 76.94

Sequential 125.04

Uncached Write 119.39 73.30 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 117.61 66.54 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 135.87 39.76 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 129.02 64.84 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 55.57

Uncached Write 19.81 2.10 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 132.48 42.41 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 126.91 0.90 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 164.70 30.56 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Mine sleeps. I can hear it power down, my monitor goes into power save mode, and the my CPU power button begins to blink.

No amount of keyboard/mouse pressing brings it back out though. If I push the power button, it does wake it. I can hear the hard drives spin up and it acts like it's coming out of sleep. However my monitor never turns back on. I might try it with my onboard video instead of my GeForce and see if that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your great job!!

I just received my P35-DS3L from ClubIT and I'm looking forward on setting up my new and improved hackintosh soon. HOwever, I still cant do it since I'm still waiting for the other parts.

ATM, I feel like a got the right mobo after reading this great thread =D Thanks for all of your efforts and hardwork.

Now, I humbly ask for your help.

I'm hoping that you can compile all the kext you have used to make this mobo work (exclusively for GA-P35-DS3L mobos only).

Examples are:

- kext from KalywayDVD to make all sata ports work (It was actually uploaded in the earlier post)

- kext to fix the IDE detection problem before (I dont know if this was fixed already)

- kext from Tagura (ALC888?), hopefully using the latest version HDA patcher 1.20 =D

- kext to fix the shutdown/restart/sleep issues if there is any

- any other kext that would make DS3L work better. Since the last post was Dec 24, maybe new kext fix are available

- special notes/pointers are advice for future installers on a DS3L

The reason why I ask for this is not that I'm being lazy or something but I noticed that a lot of people are posting or uploading zip files that contains a bunch of kext that MADE their system work. But I cant find any for DS3L .. usually its R, P.

This will also help future owners of DS3L =D

Thank you in advance!! :unsure:

what proc are you using.

i used TOH rc2, efi 5.2 software update. Nothing else changed except for latest nvject kext

ethernet works, all 4 cores work, sound i use external, sharing + internet works great.

all sata (not working yet) - want to find which part of kalway enables sata.

my system is stable as my evertyday mac.

runs cs3, logic audio etc perfectly.

Hi Brooklyn,

Thanks for your reply. I'll be using E2180 and EFI would be fine with this. I was just hoping for someone , who owns this mobo and made it work, to share his/her working kext.

I think a lot of people here in this thread made almost every device for this mobo to work. Like the built-in audio, 4 sata port, IDE, etc. Ofcourse, videocard kext should not be shared because it varies for each user.

If they could just share the kext they've used, it would be easier for future owners of this mobo to use it even using any osx86 realease.

e.g. Future users will no longer edit any dev ids just to make their IDE to work (1) they dont need to reinstall and use Kalyway release just to make 4 sata ports to work.. they only need the kext (2) ... etc

Thank you very much.

Someone mentioned on this forum that they've got all of their audio ports working.

How? Is this only for Leopard? I am running on Tiger 10.4.11, and I have everything working except the digital audio ports and the second set of SATA ports.

I went through this whole thread, and people have gotten all of their SATA ports to work - can someone please post the method to get them to work in Tiger? And if someone solved the mystery of all sound ports working, please post how! Many GA-P35-DS3L users are tearing their hair out.

I appreciate the help!

Yeah,

I hope someone will give/share their compiled kext for the GA-P35-DS3L

By the way, did anybody successed in making all the 4 SATA ports working in "ACHI mode" NOT in IDE mode?

A lot of people (DS3L owners) said that if the system is in "IDE mode" (4 sata ports working) its slow. When they enabled "AHCI mode", you can see a BIG difference between speed. In AHCI mode, DS3L owners reported that benchmarks/bootupspeed is a lot higher/faster. However, when they do the AHCI mode, the other 2 sata ports will stop working.

Anyone who made their 4 SATA ports working in ACHI mode, please share the kext files you used. ;)

Thank you.

indeed, achi enabled its much faster in leo, the boot time its like x2 easly.

Yup, its true.

I've actually seen it with my computer' friend. He has the same board and stuff ... but the thing is, he doesnt care about the other 2 sata ports not working because he only has 2 sata devices.

I have 3!

So please, someone post/upload a compiled working kext files for the P35-DS3L ... in AHCI mode / all sata ports working. I know a lot of people made this work already.

Please ... :(

Not true.. there is only a small if any difference from AHCI enabled and if it is Disabled on the DS3L motherboard.. also Sata mode is on NATIVE not LEGACY. It does tho boot 2x as fast... xbench scores, geekbench scores, all around smoothness, etc, are exactly the same IMO

Not true.. there is only a small if any difference from AHCI enabled and if it is Disabled on the DS3L motherboard.. also Sata mode is on NATIVE not LEGACY. It does tho boot 2x as fast... xbench scores, geekbench scores, all around smoothness, etc, are exactly the same IMO

in my case, it does behave better to have ahci enabled, leo boots in 8 seconds with achi enabled. Disabled it takes almost 21. Opening apps is snappier too.

Didnt try vista with ahci off. I use hot plug on vista so I need it enabled.

for now there is no other way that to have it disabled if you want the 4 satas working.

respect.

I have been running into kernel panics when memory usage peaked over 3.5 GB (out of 4). Many other DS3L users report similar things, and the only solution so far has been to limit the amount of memory Leo sees with the maxmem string. I was not satisfied with this and continued to play around with settings. I am using Kalyway 10.5.1 and had IDE mode and native mode enabled so i could use my 3 drives. When I switched to AHCI mode and ran memtest, I completed the entire test (~30 minutes) with no kernel panics. Originally it would kp in about 30 seconds. So now I am looking for a solution to getting all 4 sata ports working in AHCI mode. You guys with 4 GB ram and up should test this out... it may be a problem with the kext included with Kalyway. I REALLY want to get all my drives working without limiting my ram or getting Kernel Panics.

I have the GA-P35-DS3L board as well, and I got all 4 SATA ports working by disabling AHCI.

I am not sure this is related, but my hack crashes when trying a render with FCP. Could the FCP render be like the memtest described above?