Marvell on Leopard (10.5)

p3t3rZ

64 posts in this topic

Thanks!

Unfortunately for me though, when I go into the plist as described to correct the vendor ID and device ID, they are already correct... i.e. "0x43611AB", which for me is right.

I'm dual-booting from two separate hdd's, one XP one OSX-Leo. In device properties in XP: VEN 11AB DEV 4362.

Peter, how do you do this exactly, I can't get it to work.

Thanks

If your device is 436* you need AppleYukon.kext not AppleYukon2.kext. AppleYukon.kext is missing in Leo, but you can dig it out of Tiger, as I did.

To save you from hard work :hysterical: here it is. Just change my 0x436411AB into yours.

AppleYukon.kext.zip

If your device is 436* you need AppleYukon.kext not AppleYukon2.kext. AppleYukon.kext is missing in Leo, but you can dig it out of Tiger, as I did.

To save you from hard work :P here it is. Just change my 0x436411AB into yours.

Wow, thanks a million. You were right, it works now.

But, *those damn buts!* unfortunately, i'm having issues now with the system hanging, and the funny thing is, I think it has something to do with the ethernet device... For whatever reason I can reproduce the hang everytime by going int Sys. Prefs. > Network > choose Eth0 or Eth1 > Advanced > then click Ethernet, and POOF! System hangs, can't even CMD - OPT - ESC, have to hard reboot...

Do you think I need to remove the AppleYukon2.kext? If so, how's that done exactly? Thanks again for you great help.

-Nuck

Wow, thanks a million. You were right, it works now.

But, *those damn buts!* unfortunately, i'm having issues now with the system hanging, and the funny thing is, I think it has something to do with the ethernet device... For whatever reason I can reproduce the hang everytime by going int Sys. Prefs. > Network > choose Eth0 or Eth1 > Advanced > then click Ethernet, and POOF! System hangs, can't even CMD - OPT - ESC, have to hard reboot...

Do you think I need to remove the AppleYukon2.kext? If so, how's that done exactly? Thanks again for you great help.

-Nuck

For me I use Kalaway version and it already include AppleYukon.kext in the installation. I attach my AppleYukon.kext here. Please try this one, it works perfectly on my system.

Peter

AppleYukon.kext.zip

For me I use Kalaway version and it already include AppleYukon.kext in the installation. I attach my AppleYukon.kext here. Please try this one, it works perfectly on my system.

Peter

Thanks a bunch, but I'm still having the "Network Lockup" problem, do you think it is because of the previous AppleYukon2.kext still hanging out in there? If so, how do I remove it?

-Nuck

Thanks a bunch, but I'm still having the "Network Lockup" problem, do you think it is because of the previous AppleYukon2.kext still hanging out in there? If so, how do I remove it?

-Nuck

I'm not sure about that. But you can try by edit the file Info.plist in the AppleYukon2.kext to make it not recognize your LAN. You can do that by remove the whole <key> section of "Yukon-88E8053". But don't forget to backup AppleYukon2.kext before you do the modfication.

If you want to know which extensions is loaded, you can use SystemProfiler utility. It's under Software/Extensions section. If you see only "AppleYukon" in the list, it means your system load only AppleYukon.kext extension.

- Pichai

I'm not sure about that. But you can try by edit the file Info.plist in the AppleYukon2.kext to make it not recognize your LAN. You can do that by remove the whole <key> section of "Yukon-88E8053". But don't forget to backup AppleYukon2.kext before you do the modfication.

If you want to know which extensions is loaded, you can use SystemProfiler utility. It's under Software/Extensions section. If you see only "AppleYukon" in the list, it means your system load only AppleYukon.kext extension.

- Pichai

Yes, thanks Pichai, AppleYukon is the only one in the SystemProfiler. I wonder why then the lockups... I'm just going to have to try some other things out. By the way, I'm running an Asus P5W DH Delux board, it does have 2 ethernet ports, is it possible you think that I need to add another "Yukon-888E8053" to the kext?

Thanks,

Nuck

i tryed what you said but my device id is already listed in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist and my network adapter isnt detected, does anyone know how to fix this.

Ive attached the 2 pictures of the info from linux device manager if it helps.

Regards,

uk_rules_ok

post-132121-1201806727_thumb.jpg post-132121-1201806740_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tried all kinds of methods but didn't work for me.

1st try: Did a change using the Yukon.kext as i did with Tiger. After clear Extension.mkext & repair permission, upon reboot, it promted IONetwork.kext error (something to that nature), can't run or load it.

2nd try: Did a change using the Yukon2.kext. Follow all intructions meticulously & nothing happens (incl reboot with -x -v). Notice there are many IOPrimaryMatch down the whole list inside Yukon2. Do i change every single one?

Check Network in Preference & Ethernet didn't show up at all, only Bluetooth & Firewire, no other options. This is becoming a big pain in the butt.

I have a 8055 chip & ID is 4363 & running Kalyway 10.5.1.

Thanks for any tips :rolleyes: Greatly appreciated

Weird, I got the network interfaces for the Marvell to show up, when I boot, the lights on the nic come on and everything, I can connect to internet, and... I don't get lockups anymore, well, none that have anything to do with the networking, BUT.

Internet, and file transfers are P A I N fu l l y S l o o o w.

Tried all kinds of methods but didn't work for me.

1st try: Did a change using the Yukon.kext as i did with Tiger. After clear Extension.mkext & repair permission, upon reboot, it promted IONetwork.kext error (something to that nature), can't run or load it.

2nd try: Did a change using the Yukon2.kext. Follow all intructions meticulously & nothing happens (incl reboot with -x -v). Notice there are many IOPrimaryMatch down the whole list inside Yukon2. Do i change every single one?

Check Network in Preference & Ethernet didn't show up at all, only Bluetooth & Firewire, no other options. This is becoming a big pain in the butt.

I have a 8055 chip & ID is 4363 & running Kalyway 10.5.1.

Thanks for any tips :wacko: Greatly appreciated

I have exactly the same issue, can't get this damn network to work... I tried renaming the car in Yukon2.kext but the vendorID and deviceID are correct from start. I tried to download the kext available here on the forum and it does not work either.

I have a 965P DS4 motherboard with the controller intregrated... any help would be appreciated..

Hi

Can somebody tell me y my Yukon 88E8053 doesn't work?

i checked the vendor and device id, they were both right, restarted with -x-v

restarted again

it shows Cable Unplugged but it is working fine in win XP, changed with another working cable, same thing

Any advice?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the guide p3t3rZ, but I have a problem. When I try to restart with -x -v I type "sudo reboot -x -v" into the terminal, but it says "reboot: illegal option -- x".

What am I doing wrong?

Restart and than at the boot menu hit "F8" than type "-x -v".

i have a strange encounter.

when i boot with -x (safe mode) the networking works fine, i get internet connection. But when i boot normally, the network error message appears & no connection at all.

i suspect some drivers conflict. anyone with any troubleshooting tips?

thanks again. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
when i boot with -x (safe mode) the networking works fine, i get internet connection. But when i boot normally, the network error message appears & no connection at all.

I use SONY VAIO VGN-AR51SU.

And I have the same problem.

At first Ethernet didn't work at all.

I used file AppleYukon.kext.zip withc was posted above by Darth Toplicius

And now Networking works only when I boot in safe mod. (-x)

Any suggestions how that problem can be fixed?

Thank You.

Ok I havent a clue what going on... I have some exprence with a few different versions of linux and it always works out there; however under terminal in mac i get crappy outputs.

For example:

terminal1.jpg

I have also tried going diretly to the file and opening it. Once edited I then realize I can't save it as is.

terminal.jpg

Does any one have any idea for the screwed up blank result i get.

terminal.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have the 8036.. followed the instructions and got it to work

1. changed 8051 i believe to 8036 two spots

2. changed the primary to 435111ab

3. removed extension.mkext

4. restarted the computer when it got to the part where it says root: i typed in -x -v

5. rebooted again

now i have the internet!!!

I tried everything mentioned in this thread and i could not make my 8053 show up the ethernet...

I can't even see in the system profiler the AppleYukon2.kext loaded now.. Although there was no difference when it was there..

Please if there is someone more advanced mac user , help us out with this one.

I am getting desperate here...

Os X Masters pls heeelp!

Ok I got mine prob solved by putting an external PCI lan card - some old 3com. I plugged the cable and it started working without any driver. So for those who are having difficulties with their On Board Lan cards, just buy one cheap PCI card and put all your worries away...

Cheers!