RTL8187 problem in Leopard

Paulo Greimel

89 posts in this topic

Will try that pippodark! Thanks! But what's the difference between 8187B and 8187L?

No difference, I use the kext of RTL8187L. Download them from the site of Realteck

The only thing not to use the wired LAN when using the WIFI. I clean the cache after installing the drivers and I rebooted.

Hi folks, last weekend I installed Leopard (clean install). Everything worked fine, but my wireless adapter (RTL8187), that worked fine in Tiger with Realtek drivers, isn't working. After installing the driver and rebooting it founds the right wireless network, connects (I use static IP, not DHCP) but disconnects after a few seconds. And it looks completely random, yeah, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Some other people are having the same problem as I noticed here and here. We will certainly find a solution for this, maybe It is just a small bug.

Paulo

P.S. I e-mailed realtek but I got no answer and I am checking the drivers page daily.

Which driver did you use on tiger to get this working on it? Appreciate your response.

Will try that pippodark! Thanks! But what's the difference between 8187B and 8187L?

So did it work?

Not correctly. I installed Leopard and the Realtek driver but no wireless yet, then I opened the Realtek WLAN Utility and turned the wireless card off, waited 30 seconds or so and turned it on again, then, I tried to reconnect and it worked. But it's not always that it works and it helps not losing the connection again if you open terminal and type:

ping www.google.com

(remember not to quit Terminal).

No way 'til Apple releases 10.5.2.

Hey guys.

I've installed iATKOS and tried to get my card working with this drivers.

The thing is Leopard will only load the kext sometimes in a very random way (i guess). When the kext doesn't load at boot, the device isn't even recognized on system profiler and loading the kext manually won't fix the issue either.

I was wondering if you guys know any way to fix this. When the kext loads at boot, the card works with no issues using Realtek WLAN Client.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Got it... had to disable "Legacy USB Support" on Bios :hysterical:

It doesn't work for me, Legacy USB enabled or not. I have an Asus P5K deluxe.

When I use the 1.4.7 driver, it connects and disconnectes right away, with the 1.5.0 driver in the link, I can't open the WLAN utility, I get the dribbling icon and then it stops responding...

Maybe I'll try with 1.4.7 and disable USB Legacy? The problem with disabling USB legacy is that I have GRUB installed to triple boot OSX/Windows/Ubuntu but the keyboard doesn't work in Grub. Oh well... I'll be back in 10-15 minutes to let you guys know if disabling USB Legacy and using the 1.4.7 drivers works for me...

Joey

Ok I'm back. I tried all these things with Legacy USB disabled:

1.4.7 driver

1.5.0 driver

1.4.7 driver with 1.5.0 app

1.5.0 driver with 1.4.7 app

It seems that the 1.5.0 driver doesn't load and thats why the application crashes. When I try to load it with kextload RTL8187b.kext, it says loaded successfully but it doesn't change anything.

Maybe I can install the 1.5.0 driver and start up OSX in verbose mode and it will show the problem when loading the driver? However, everything goes by too fast to actually read anything, is the boot process logged anywhere I can see once in the OS?

Thanks!

Joey

Thanks for posting the kext! Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me. The application doesn't load, it just stops responding. What RTL8187 device are you using? I'm using an Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP... maybe I should change my device id to 33159...

Thanks anyway!

Joey

RTL8187B works very well, it should be selected in the ethernet preferences.

Apple does not recognize the card as USB but as ethernet.

No one can use the card LAN cable and wireless together, but must be used one or the other, otherwise every time you disconnect ..

Check that you have only one driver installed as well as the client, if you have a 2 delete 1 and give the new permits.

It doesn't work for me... the driver refuses to load. Even when I disable in the BIOS wired ethernet, when I use 1.5.0 driver, there is no ethernet at all in the system preferences.

With 1.4.7 it works but disconnects all the time...

I tried changing the device id to 33159, but it still doesn't work.

To those of you who has it working... are you using Asus P5K deluxe WiFI-AP or some other WiFI-AP Asus motherboard?

Thanks!

Joey

Sorry for the noob question (def not a noob w/ pc) but how do i install the 1.5.0 driver? I'm unfamiliar with the kext kernel extension installation procedure. All I was able to discover through searching on google and here is kext files exist in System -> Library -> Extensions.

After swapping the RTL8787Bt.kext file in, nothing happened, and further, backing up the existing one and naming the new one the same name also didn't work (even messed up the old one).

And FYI for my config: I have the RTL8187L installed as part of the Asus P5W DH motherboard (ATI X1900XT, Kalyway 10.5.1 and yes I also bought Leopard), and install went perfectly except for crash-on-sleep, an infinite loop of crash/relaunch of network diagnostics, and ethernet not working (?).

Separate to this, I plan on reinstalling everything and trying again on a different HDD.

Thanks.

So I read the other topic that somebody posted here, and just so anybody else looking for an answer can find this info, I'll repeat that Realtek has said they are scheduled to release a Leopard driver for the RTL8187 at the end of Feb. 08. Hopefully earlier than later!

hi darix here..

I would just like to say thanks to you all in this forum...i download leopard versions i dont know how many times and printed the installations guides that you had posted. Ive lost count of the many times ive had to goto diskutil and erase and repartition and install leopard.

My specs are:

conroe1333-dvi/h motherboard

intel core2duo 2.33ghz processor

2gb of ddr2 memory

400gb sata hard drive and a few ide ones

raid card with one ata and 2 sata connections

hd sound realtek i think

nvidia geforce 8600gt 256mb pci-e card

firewire card

16x dvdrw

Anyways...i was hoping to get leopard on but i wasnt getting anywhere..it was doing my nut. my recent download was the iatkos_v1.0i leopard and when i downloaded it as the iso...nero didnt recognise it as an image file. so i couldnt use that.

i googled and tried a program called imgburn and it did the job nicely. burnt it about 2.4x the disc wasnt 2.08 or 09gb it was 2.44gb. The first one i downloaded the md5 didnt match the metioned one online but the second one i downloaded did but still the program checker for md5 said it was false.. only false about it was that mine was in capital letters and numbers and the one mentioned online was in lowercase ..hehehe!

anyways..i did as was instructed...but i couldnt even get into installing it....turns out i had to downgrade my bios to 1.50 from v2.00...bingooo! got into using discutil...but when it went to verify the installation dvd it failed....sorry that happened using the first leopard disc that the md5 didnt match...

this recent one however did match and i was able to fully install leopard. efi emulation somehow didnt work for me.. so i had to say no and use the other kernel. When i went to customise i left the selections as they were and went on with the install and did the job with Gparted live cd to activate the boot tag. Rebooted...only got a flashing cursor.

after other atempts i thought id select the smbios kext under system in customise and try install again..and bingo ..tho the installation disc was in...i got the bootloader come up and it counted down...then the apple logo came up with the spinning disc. i thought at least thats something...then i listened to the cd drive when the spinning stopped..then few seconds later the dvd drive spinned up again which never done that b4. Low and behold i got a dark blue screen with the cursor screen then the background pic and then icons and others came up...

HALLALULYA! and when i moved the opened folder it didnt give me the sunk in effect thats caused by a weak driver i think..but i was able to move it about with no problem.. didnt have the geforce driver for the 8600gt in it tho...but i was chuft.

Oh! and i heard sound too....the sound effects in the properties jingled as they were ment to...and hd audio output was highlighted but not input due to no mic in yet.

i tried nvidia installer v1.9 by punk92. mpkg and selected the geforce 8600gt 256mb kext and it installed ok....rebooted and i was crossing fingers and all ....YESSSS my sonnn....my screen was smaller and icons bigger...i new it worked...checked system profiler and the device id was 0x0402 ..vendor..nvidia (0x10de) revision id..0x00a1 ..rom revision...nvinject 0.2.1

hardware acceleration..quartz extreme...supported..rotation..supported

changing the resolution was a bit iffy but on reboot i was able to get 1280x960 at 60hz 256mb

happy days

now since your talking here about the rtl8187 wireless.....i have a usb wireless ...azurewave...but is based on the rtl8187...

im actually using it on leopard as i text this..and its still stable...i didnt install any drivers...minutes later the realtek icon like a blue crab came bouncing on the bottom of the screen...so i checked the network and it installed the driver for it automatically somehow....and it connected ....

as you say it cut off every now and then but i got it to keep in the dock...and ive been connected for sometime now...so im chuft...

actually under networks....airport is connected showing my router ip and is using DHCP only and the ethernet is green too but with a random ip and says connected too..

im getting no bulitin audio under the profiler too....it recognised sata drives ...i find like i did with tiger...i installed it with only the basics ...no other selections in customise and it gets me into the os....coz if i select other drivers on the first install ..it dont work....tho going thru the installation a second time but only to select a driver at a time works..so give that a whirl.

This is those that have the same motherbord and stuff as me...adobe web creative suite doesnt crash...aperture does and the update wont install for some reason...final cut studio 5.1 works..it kept closing on me because i had no external firewire source so my friend lent me his camera and bingo ..it works now...even without the camera

films play with sound....and are smooth going so...all the mucking around was worth it in the end....aperture crashes still..

o just one thing more ...when using the darwin bootloader screen...dont forget to go into diskutil and rightclick the leopard partition....then information...check if it says disk0s1 or sumthing....when i entered mine in and if found the installation...in kept mentioning that it couldnt unmount the disc and couldnt update....that with an internal drive ...im running leopard from a usb external unit...infact....my dvdrw drive was usb and i took the drive out and installed it internally and now im using the usb enclosure for a hard drive....

anyways i was able to update the darwin loader ok there....but it didnt boot on its own for me....i install acronis disk director or summit and it has the acronis os selector with it and it found my leopard and now i can boot into it without the aid of the disc....i have vista and xp alongside it..in a nice bootloader for all three os..

so there ya go...maybe now whoever has my spec can get leopard working now..

sorry for the long schhhpeeallll but looking at it now...it was worth the hassel..

BIg thanks to whoever made the iatkos_v1.0i disc and the guide...to punk92 for making my geforce 8600gt card work..just installed it...no mucking around with changing stuff..

look forward to hearing from you all....let me know if whoever has the same spec..had any problems too..

cheers guys!!....you rule! and thanks to insanely mac forum for making this possible..youve made this guy a happy man!

night all..