Succesfull install on Abit IP35 Pro

madCowCR

58 posts in this topic

Indeed are SATA drives ejectables, hotpluggable etc.

On Win XP, on my Epox 9NPA, the drives were shown as "ejectable" (ie they appear under the button in the right side of the menu bar).

With this Abit IP35 mobo they are not under XP (ie they don't appear in the right side of the menu bar), the were not with XXX 10.4.11 or the 10.5 Flat though shown in System Profiler as "AHCI".

The point is that seeing the arrow near the drive for a fixed disc cause making mistakes with real external volumes, that's really not user friendly —even if there is always a message asking if I'm sure to eject bla-bla in Windows or Mac OS.

Hi all,

@Toastmaster : my Optiark ODD is plugged on #1, the rest of the HDD from #3-6, controler set to AHCI, the "Mac" disk (Seagate 120 GB) is on #3.

Kalyway booted fine on that, iAtkos too.

The XXX 10.4.11 disc needed the ODD set to IDE to boot.

Does it help?

By the way, the Kalyway 10.5.1 show my other HDD (mostly NTFS) as "ejectable", the Leo Flat image or other 10.4.x didn't. Do you have an idea how to avoid it and get back with "fixed" drives.

Thanks so much for confirming my theory. I'm actually writing this from my freshly installed 10.5.1 install (and I even have a GeForce 8800GT running on it!).

For whatever reason, changing my optical drive to #1 did the trick. I still had a heck of a time getting EFI going, but everything seems to be great now. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks so much for confirming my theory. [...] For whatever reason, changing my optical drive to #1 did the trick.

You're welcome, Toast master.

Actually its weird and quite confusing having to keep ODD on one or an other plug. :D

Mine is spontaneously on one of the upper plugs because the drive is most upper drive, kinda luck... try to debug that.

Are your other HDD considered as removable, too?

Mine: Q6600, IP35Pro and 8800GTS

The issue is that I saw the stop sign and unable to proceed through.

So I do -v and it says something about the firewall.

The thing i that if I set it to AHCI, it will skip my SATA DVD drive and proceed through the GRUB Loader (I have Vista and Uuntu Dual booting).

Any ideas as how to fix this issue?

Also merry xmas and happy new year guys

v

Mine: Q6600, IP35Pro and 8800GTS

The issue is that I saw the stop sign and unable to proceed through.

So I do -v and it says something about the firewall.

The thing i that if I set it to AHCI, it will skip my SATA DVD drive and proceed through the GRUB Loader (I have Vista and Uuntu Dual booting).

Any ideas as how to fix this issue?

Also merry xmas and happy new year guys

v

If you change sata to AHCI mode, you must change boot order from SATA CDROM to your DVD drive name (it should appear on the list after AHCI mode is enabled)

Heavenslysword,

Tip 1: Have you seen Toastmaster's problem wether the SATA ODD is on #1 or #2 (the upper two SATA plugs on your mobo) or not? It should be on one of these most upper plugs.

Tip 2: In your BIOS Advanced features > Boot priority, you've got to select the line showing your ODD by it's brand —mine is actually shown as "Optiarc SATA drive" (or so)— in contrary as three or four lines up, there's a generic SATA Optical drive line.

Hi Guys, I am a complete newbie to Hackintosh and about ready to try my first install, I will be using an Abit IP-35 pro mobo with q6600 cpu 8800GT graphics card, SATA optical drive, 3 SATA HD may be 4 and 1 ide HD.

I was wondering if you guys would be able to advise as to what is the best method for triple booting OSX, XP and vista, I intend to use Kalyway 10.5.1 Leo. what OS should I install fisrt. I would like to install each OS on its on hard drive and have one drive shared, or install XP and Vista on the same drive and OSX on a sepreate drive.

Hi everyone. I recently put together the pc spec'd in my sig, and tried to install Kalyway 10.5.1 onto it. I had the drives set to IDE and not AHCI. I did not have a SATA DVD, so I tried to use a USB DVD but it gave me the same errors that others get when they try to use an IDE DVD on the Jmicron controller. So I decided to try another PC (Asus P5B Deluxe, Core2Duo E6300, 8600GTS, 2x1gb ram) and using the same USB DVD drive, I could boot and install the OS just fine. I then took that installed HD and placed it into my abit PC. Everything seemed to be working, but I noticed only 1 of the LAN ports work (port 2 per the manual, port 1 does nothing). I am also getting random kernel panics. I dont know the cause, nor how to try and find it now, but I am assuming that it is related to my install method. I have run through memtest a few times with no errors being found. Are there some sort of crash file created in MAC OS that I can search for? I dont see any "panic" entries in any of the log files, but I believe I am seeing a kernel panic (screen shades darker, and a multi-lingual popup appears about restarting PC).

Right now I am operating the machine via the -x startup option (safe mode) and have not had it crash. But I'm not too sure how to proceed at this point. I have not done the fix yet for my video card reporting the wrong ram amount, didnt think that would be something that would cause crashes (it reports 256MB not 320MB). I also have not performed the fix for onboard audio yet, as I am using Logitech Z-10 USB speakers. I dont know if that could be the culprit or not, but I guess it should be considered as safe-mode doesnt have sound support and I am not crashing at this point.

Is there some way now that I have an installed setup that I can use the Kalyway disc to in effect "upgrade" my install based on the hardware it finds in this abit setup, or wouldnt my original install method have really caused any issues? Or do I need to break down and buy a SATA DVD and start over fresh?

Really appreciate any assistance anyone could offer. Also, if anyone with the IP35Pro could post their major BIOS settings and version? I am using what came on my board, the 9-6-07 release which seems to be the latest non-beta BIOS. How should the CPU parameters be set, particularly the EIST and Virtualization Technology and C1E settings?

Hi Curve , I am using a pro board. I loaded Kalyway two days ago using these bios settings http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78425 because I have a 8800GT graphics card I also tried to use the method mentioned in the post to enable it but was unsucessfull. Leo did work I had no sound but im sure i could have got it working, only one Lan port worked. I hope this helps

Maxim1

Thanks for that link. I will make sure mine match. I have discovered that my memory is good (memtested 3 times) and if I boot in safe mode, the system is 100% stable. So that points to 3rd party installation files I would assume. Going to try and figure out what the cause of that is, but not holding my breath because I havent a clue how to figure out which thing caused it (whether it was a driver or application or USB device etc).

Hello to all the proudly IP35 Pro owner...

Has anyone manage to boot from the IDE optical drive? I'm still getting the com.apple.boot.plist not found error.

I will try to borrow a SATA optical drive if possible.

Cheers

Andy

Hello to all the proudly IP35 Pro owner...

Has anyone manage to boot from the IDE optical drive? I'm still getting the com.apple.boot.plist not found error.

I will try to borrow a SATA optical drive if possible.

Cheers

Andy

I replied in the Kalyway thread, but I could not make this MB recognize/boot from the Kalyway disc at all on a USB DVD. I wound up ordering a SATA DVD.

I replied in the Kalyway thread, but I could not make this MB recognize/boot from the Kalyway disc at all on a USB DVD. I wound up ordering a SATA DVD.

I'm also researching on a good SATA Optical Drive deal.....

Anybody else? Is that a definite no GO for using IDE Optical drive on this board?

Hey Madcow....I have an EVGA 8600GT and I have working fine with Qe/CI and dual display...I used Nvinject from netkas...seems a lot of people had succes with it..

This is where i got my intructions. Follow post 156 by Gik ... The only thing i did different was removing Natit. once I did there was no more tearing and QE was supported and CI was hardware accelerated. ANd since you have intel you can skip the Marvin utility part.... hope this helps....

Thought I would report my success now! Everything seems to be running very smooth and stable with the setup in my sig. Only minor issues like I had to add my CPU info manually into the "About This Mac" screen, and the LCD on my Z-10 speakers isnt working with the driver/app yet. Very happy overall! :)

Alright guys, I also have installed Leopard on my Abit IP35 Pro w/Q6600 successfully. I have some problem/issue though.

Keyboard and mouse only works 80% of the time. I have to reboot the machine if it doesn't work. (Still using the PS2 version of mouse and keyboard)

Shutdown - the machine shutdown but I can hear the fan and the light on my motherboard are still running.

Sleep - Sleep will shutdown the machine but can never wake up from it.

Only way to shutdown the machine is to select the restart from the menu and power off the machine.

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers

andy

Keyboard and mouse only works 80% of the time. I have to reboot the machine if it doesn't work. (Still using the PS2 version of mouse and keyboard)

Switch to a USB keyboard & mouse. Works 100% on my IP35 Pro.

Shutdown - the machine shutdown but I can hear the fan and the light on my motherboard are still running.

Sleep - Sleep will shutdown the machine but can never wake up from it.

Only way to shutdown the machine is to select the restart from the menu and power off the machine.

Same here. There is a patched ACPI with the Kalyway 10.5 DVD however it proved to be unstable for me. I just live with it for now and just leave the machine running.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All...

I Recently get a IP35-Pro main specially for OSX86, but so far i couldn't boot the installation disc correctly!

I have a SATA DVD-RW (samsung S203D) which connected to SATA#1 & Samsung SATA HDD on SATA#2

unfortunately right now I don't have kalyway 10.5.1 yet! but i will get my hands on it soon... but what I didn't have any luck with JAS 10.4.8 that I had from before...

can anyone tell me kalyway will boot-up with this specs? should i do change any BIOS setting? If yes, plz tell me what should I change!

I don't recall to have to tweak the BIOS alot to boot from Kalyway DVD. It just work as long as you have a SATA DVD and SATA Drive..

Cheers

andy

Hi All...

I Recently get a IP35-Pro main specially for OSX86, but so far i couldn't boot the installation disc correctly!

I have a SATA DVD-RW (samsung S203D) which connected to SATA#1 & Samsung SATA HDD on SATA#2

unfortunately right now I don't have kalyway 10.5.1 yet! but i will get my hands on it soon... but what I didn't have any luck with JAS 10.4.8 that I had from before...

can anyone tell me kalyway will boot-up with this specs? should i do change any BIOS setting? If yes, plz tell me what should I change!

For those who has shutdown/sleep problem with Abit IP35 Pro..... Here is the fixes... well, at least it works for me, and I don't know why... but you might want to try

CPU: Intel Q6600

MB: Abit IP35 Pro

HD:Seagate SATA 500GB

Optical Drive: Samsung SATA DVD-Burner(dual layer)

Video Card: ATI X1900 GT

BIOS Setting:

I didn't have to disable or tweak anything. I left the JMicron enable.

Harddrive partition:

1) WindowXP - 40GB

2) OSX86 Leopard - 40GB

3) DATA - The rest of the disk space.

NOTE: I have tried putting OSX partition after the DATA 1->3->2 with NO SUCCESS.

Botting from the Kalyway DVD without any problem..... then went through the installation no problem(Make sure you choose the MBR.. it works for me)....

OSX Leopard installed properly without any problem... the Kalyway installation even give me dual boot option with windowXP as selection 1 and osx leopard as selection 2....

Post Installation:

Everything seems to work fine... I have to patch the sound though...

PROBLEMs:

The shutdown acted like sleep:

The Sleep will never get to wake up:

Installed Aperture and crashes everytime I started the app...

First, I didn't have my newly build computer hook up to the internet so I was just playing with OSX leopard(this is the first time I actually use it... so I was spending time understand/familiarize the OS)...

Last weekend.. I decided to hook up the computer with my network and to find out that the NETWORK CARD WORKS!!!

Here is the magic.. OSX Leopard detected that there are updates for my system.. so I just proceed with whatever updates that's available for my system.

The update fixes everything.....

1) Shutdown properly now.

2) Sleep just fine now....

3) Aperture RUNS!!!!

Hope this help guys.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got wake from sleep working with the IP35? With the ToH kernel I get perfect shutdowns, but I can never wake from standby. The machine comes on but the screen is blank and I can't do anything. I'm considering ditching the board...

Has anyone got wake from sleep working with the IP35? With the ToH kernel I get perfect shutdowns, but I can never wake from standby. The machine comes on but the screen is blank and I can't do anything. I'm considering ditching the board...

Same here... I have no idea how to get sleep working.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just ordered an abit ip35 pro as well...should come in friday. So between now and then I just need to figure out a) best way to dual boot with Vista 64 (or xp if need be) and which version of Leopard to install from.

I've got an iATKOS (1.0ir2?) disc, a KoH, and I'm downloading the Kalyway 10.5.1 iso as well as the kalyway 10.5.2 update. Though both of my existing machines wouldn't install OS X, iATKOS at least installed on the e2200 before failing to actually get into the OS. Which will I have the best luck with once I build with the Abit?

I asked this elsewhere ...but based on the hardware on my sig, what combination of components should I use when I do the build? SATA ODD, SATA HDDs?

Any input would be appreciated since there's so much info out there on building a hackintosh. It's hard to get just the stuff I need to know :) Thanks!