Installing OSx86 on a External USB Drive

~pcwiz

100 posts in this topic

The uphuck 1.4iR3 does work because that's what I used to install OS X on to 3 completely different systems. Now granted they were not nForce4 systems.

You stated in your first post that you have AC97 audio, well according to Asus you have Realtek ALC850 8-channel CODEC. Now I don't if the Azalia Audio Driver will work for your audio or not. You might try installing without it and see what happens. I would also say the same thing about your network card. Try installing without those too things. You can always install them after.

Do think that checking the SATA Support with the nForce4 SATA will make a difference after these errors?

Well it couldn't hurt. :( I know it's tough to get this working, but keep going. If you want things to work right out of the box, you need to get an Intel mobo.

Chevy

Failed again. This time I tried like you said with just:

* v1.4i Main System

* logonwindow 10.4.4

* Remove CPUPowerManagement kext

* ATI X1x00

* nForce 4 SATA

* SATA Support

* PS/2

* USB Driver

I got the same error screen as in Configuration #2 above. Still doesn't work after like 10 tries..Any other possible combinations?

Oh By the way, something I was thinking is that there is a AppleACPIPlatform 10.4.8 kext option in the installer and the description says that it is required for some chipsets. Should I try that? Can you check your Uphuck DVD and maybe give me a list of stuff that I should install for my hardware? I think its something to do with the chipset and I'm pretty sure it is.

Oh and you're right, I don't have AC97 audio I have ALC850.

Thanks

Hello guys,

I'm a poor french guy who don't want to be flame if i asked stupid question or open a stupid new thread and ask a stupid question abouit stupid USB external stupid drive.

So i'm trying to be clever and just ask 1 question here:

I have a portable USB hard drive of 60gb, and want to use it for mac purpose only.

I have check here the "how to install Mac OS X on USB Hard drive'" link: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._USB_Hard_Drive

1. Check if your processor has SSE2 or SSE3 support (download cpu-z freeware, run it and find out)

2. Download the .iso image file Mac OS X 10.4.8 Jas SSE2 SSE3. Burn it to a DVD R.

3. Restart the pc with the DVD on the tray. The Mac installer will open

4. Go to Utilities, Disk Utilities, choose your USB HD and click the partition option

5. Make two partitions:

One partition must have at least 8 gb, and the type of partition will be "Mac Journaled". Call that partition "MAC"

The other partition will have the rest of the HD. The type of partition will be "MS-DOS". Call that partition "Documents"

Click Ok and wait. *Warning* all data in the usb drive will be erased

6. Close the Disk Utilities, and proceed the installation. The destination will be the "MAC" partition.

7. Install the software. (30 to 60 min)

8. When the installation is done, restart the computer and take the DVD of the tray.

9. The Mac OS X should start. (PS: if you've got a white or black fade, it is the graphics card driver. On sony VAIO you can try to restart it on STAMINA mode)

Seems to be very simple. So, next time i boot my computer WITH my USB hard drive connected, i'm suppose to have a beautiful Mac OS X running, without doing any stupid tricks typed by my stupid french fat fingers or using Acronis or any miracle soft to do a dual boot? I mean, simple: If USB connected ===> Boot on mac OS, if not conected ===> Windozs.

am i alright?

am i stupid?

Thanks guy, happy chrsitmas.

THis might not mean anything, but do you have a usb keyboard you could use instead of the PS/2? I'd try the AppleACPIPlatform 10.4.8 kext option. Don't install the usb option either. I'm kinda running out of options since I don't have an nForce4 mobo to try.

Chevy

Failure. Tried again with the ACPIPlatform option and another AppleSMBIOS netkas kext option that I just threw in hoping it would do something.. And also I didn't select the USB driver or the PS/2 or Networking or Azalia. This time I didn't exactly get an error, here is the error screen:

[pics deleted]

The USBF thing keeps repeating over and over again on the screen and never stops. I'm 3 tries away from giving up :) I'll poke around for more info on OSx86 with an nForce4 and reply if I find anything. If you have any other solutions, please reply.

Is that external drive SATA? I wonder if the drive is not SATA, but the board is if you would still need it even though you are booting from a USB drive. HMMM!! I don't think removing Ethernet, Microphone, and Speakers after the install will make much difference. The OS X install dvd doesn't detect what hardware you have. You tell it what driver it needs, it gets installed and... bang it's there. At least that the way I see it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now there is a brand new install dvd that was just released either yesterday or today on the green demon that has some more drivers added and I saw on for X1650. It also has the new kernel 8.10.3. I have not played with it yet, but I will. It was a fast download. I had it in about 5hrs. You might want to give it a try if you continue to be shot down.

Chevy

Blacknight,

Faliure. Tried installing with the options you specified and I removed all the unecessary hardware but I got the same error as Configuration #1 above.

Chevy,

The external drive is USB 2.0. Whats the name of the new DVD? Willing to try it. IWith a bit of Googling I think I know what the new DVD is. Is it the Kalyway 10.4.10 with 8.10.3 kernel IntelSSE3 only?

Oh and regarding the error I'm getting most with the 1.4iR3 DVD (Error screen on Configuration #1 above), the error seems to be with a few kexts (?):

com.apple.GeForce (this ones weird because I never chose to install a GeForce graphics driver)

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily

com.apple.iokit.IONDRSupport

com.apple.NVDAResman

It all seems to be something with an nVidia Graphics Card or something (?) Correct me if I am wrong.

The external drive is USB 2.0

Did you buy the USB drive as it is or did you buy a drive and put it in an encloser?

Oh and regarding the error I'm getting most with the 1.4iR3 DVD (Error screen on Configuration #1 above), the error seems to be with a few kexts (?):

com.apple.GeForce (this ones weird because I never chose to install a GeForce graphics driver)

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily

com.apple.iokit.IONDRSupport

com.apple.NVDAResman

It all seems to be something with an nVidia Graphics Card or something (?) Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes it looks like it's all video related.

Is it the Kalyway 10.4.10 with 8.10.3 kernel IntelSSE3 only?

Yes that's the one. You can find it on the green demon.

Chevy

don't worry we will fix it. but please post screenshot of the last error.
The last error is the same as the error for Configuratio #1 (a few posts above). I've already posted up screenshots of all te various errors I'm getting.I bought the USB drive as it is. I put the 10.4.10 DVD to download last night...Its gonna take another 9-10 hours or so ;) Sorry, slow 256Kbps internet connection.

Hi pcwiz, after reading this thread, i thought id share what happened to me.

I had the same problem once or twice. i found that the POST boot from the mobo was doing something to the external drive (strange) so if i turned it on after post (when monitor shows signal) I did not get the USB issue. try that. Also i did not install any sound, network, display drivers from the install disc as you can fix them when you have it running in safe mode.

Just wanted to add my experiences with my nForce4 board. I have an evga 680i board with an intell cpu.

I was originally able to install the JAS 10.4.8 PPF1/PPF2 SSE2/SSE3 distro, and it was running great. I had to buy an extra ethernet card because I couldn't get the onboard ethernet to work, and I had to use an IDE drive because I couldn't get SATA to work. Onboard audio using Azalia. Nvidea 7900 graphics worked with the drivers on the installer DVD.

Since then nothing but pain and more pain. I wanted to play around with the uphuck 10.4.9 installs, so I used disk utility to restore an uphuck image onto a small partition at the end of the hard drive, and rebooted off that partition to try to install uphuck. After each install I'd get an immediate reboot (no kernel panic, just a few lines of flashed text and system would reboot). After doing this about 7 times the system refused to recognize the HD as bootable. I thought the mobo had fritzed and replaced it via evga RMA. I now realize it probably was not the mobo because I've had the same sorts of issues since. I basically never have the same thing happen twice now. The latest uphuck DVD (r3i) doesn't seem to boot my system. The earlier uphuck I was using when I was playing around with installs will boot the system but on reboot either spontaneously reboots or the mobo locks up reading the IDE devices. It will often hang at a BIOS message that says "verifying DMI pool data". Sometimes I see "b0 error" reported by the BIOS.

Long story short: The JAS 10.4.8 PPF1/PPF2 SSE2/SSE3 distro, booted from DVD, CAN work on nforce4 chipsets, but it seems very fragile. It's the only distro I've gotten to ever boot OS X, and I've tried most of the recent uphucks.

I hope you guys know that I can successfully boot the DVDs (JaS and Uphuck) and both install perfectly too, Its just that after the install, I get kernel errors when booting from the USB Drive. The errors seem to be related most of the time to nVidia Graphics Drivers, even though I didn't install any during installation. Codermonkey, thanks for the tip. If I get the USB error again I'll try that.

Blacknight,

I'll try that. But I need clarification: Do I install the Uphuck on the External HD then boot from VMware? If I do install Uphuck, which options should I select to install?

Chevy,

The Kalyway didn't work. This time I didn't even get an error. I installed it successfully then booted into verbose. It started loading the kexts and then when it got to the System.kext file the machine just restarted. The Kalyway is just the original 10.4.10 files with the kernel replaced. All the patches and drivers are the same ones on the Uphuck DVD. I tried installing with the drivers (nForce4 SATA, PS/2, USB, ATI X1x00 driver) and the Remove CPUPowerManagement and loginwindow 10.4.4. No Azalia audio or networking. The next time I tried with just the base system and the power management patch and the loginwindow. Same result. Computer just reboots. Oh well, You can't expect a lot from a brand new DVD.

Thanks for the help again

EDIT: I tried booting the Kalyway in VMware. Got a Virtual Machine. hardware reset (the description of what happened matched the reboot that happened on my machine). Just waiting for blacknight to get back so he can tell me what options to install ;)

boot into vmware and restore into the extensions folder these files

http://www.mediafire.com/?fg30wsscs43

cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/

rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

and remove all kext's related to geoforce

fix the permissions and then

reboot.

Thanks Blacknight. I get that part but my question was do I install the Uphuck image onto the drive and then boot it using VMware? Because the external USB drive is empty right now, no OS installed. And if I do install the Uphuck image again, which options do I select to install? The 1.4i Base System and what else?

Thanks

pcwiz