[HOWTO] OpenGL and Quartz Extreme working PERFECTLY on Radeon 7500

idumych

62 posts in this topic

Can someone please send me the pack with all the files? The one posted doesn't include all files, and the second one which should have all is hosted on a .Mac account which is inactive. Please, help me!

I've searched all over for this too, can't find it. I would be more than happy to host it if I could find it.

ATI pack on XxX 10.4.11 Rev2 Installer dvd enables QE.

The ATI 7500 pack on it seems to have been reassembled recently & works very well.

If you Install to 10.4.8 using this disc, selecting ATI 7500 pack & AGPGart1.1 it will enable QE right away after install -no fuss. It doesnt work Perfectly, the dvd player shows blank screen also cant use QE output in vlc media player. But is good enough,. Ive been messing around for a month trying to get this to work, only twice have I got QE. Neither time did it work perfectly.

I have what I wanted. Quite good flexible multimedia setup. I use vlc player normally, only problem is it drops about two thirds of frames when playing dvd's, just about watchable. It struggles a bit playing HD content, but it does it iy I leav it to play & dont do anything else. Quicktime works quite well, but doesnt play the full range of formats.

10.4.11 install

I couldnt get the "10.4.11 kernel" working. Tried efi, no_efi. As I only have SSE2 than means my only other option is to use the 10.4.8 universal kernel (actually ToH 8.8.1).

As I wanted 10.4.11 with all updates (except recent airport update, released in last 2 weeks), it needed a little tweaking (ethernet, sound & AGP werent working) namely:

1)switch IONetworkingFamily.kext, AppleHDA.kext & appleAC97 with the older versions -taken from a JaS 10.4.8 ppf1 & ppf2 dvd.

2)edit the Info.plist inside AGPGart.kext to show your IONameMatch vendor & device ID's. for my T42 that was

<string>pci8086,3341</string>. That is for a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 32Mb M7 LW card.

If this is too complicated for you to set up, just Install to 10.4.8 using XxX 10.4.11 Rev2 dvd. really straightforward

10.4.8 install

options:

10.4.8 universal kernel (all 3 options)

all recommended kexts (I left out CPUPowerManagement kext remover as I have HPET)

all no-efi kexts

I used the chun_nan IOPCI kext option. I recommend it for all IBM T series laptops to enable the PCI bridge -it cut 4 minutes of boot time for me. dont know if it will work for everyone -but it is a great general purpose bit of kit, worth a try.

I dont care about my pc bridge but it often enables miscellaneous PCI devices that were not properly installed, and so cuts down on misconfiguration..

Oh, You are wasting your time trying to get any kind of performance from an ATI 7500 32Mb card in Leopard. QE aint gonna happen. I cant even get it to load ATIRadeon.kext properly. Leopard uses OpenGL2 ive been told, either Callisto or the 7500 card only uses OpenGL1 so -no dice.

Basic graphics work in Leopard, but nothing flashy, I can use Quicktime player but not VLC or DVD Player. The card is not fully supported.

here are my install notes if anones interested

1)	Install XxX 

options

10.4.11 update -all
8.9.1 universal kernel -all 3options
no dsmos.kext
all no efi patches EXCEPT remove CPUPowerMangement kext
AGPGart 1.1
ATI 7500 Pack (includes Callisto3)
Chun_nan IOPCI (includes IOPCI bridge)
power management option (shows battery level) of Slim Battery Monitor -not both

2)	after install, no ethernet, AGP, sound

Install from JaS 10.4.9

IONetworking Family (ethernet)
Apple HDA (audio)
AppleAC97 (audio)

edit CallistoHAL to show processor to AGP device & vendor IDs
(pci8086,3341)

3) now you have PCI Bridge OK, Sound OK, AGP ok, Open GL OK, QE functions not very well, VLC works v.well as long as you dont use QE output. Qtime ok, DVD player has blank screen. Conclusion QE works but not well enough to rely on. use open GL instaed. AOK except playing a DVD is a bit lame in VLC.

tried usin AGPGart 2B & 2.1, Install matching IOPCI, have dependency problems, QE not enabled.

Only thing not working now are wi-fi, bluetooth, maybe Fingerprint Scanner.UPDATE unencrypted WiFi working using iwi2200.
Still using debug driver for USBUHCI.

• Like 1

I have qe with a t40 ibm and a 5100 dell 10.4.11. how can i help?

for the post before me...have you lowered the amount of ram that is required for qe I think you will need to with a 32mb card. Mine is 64. Everything but games work for me.

Betolley

Interesting idea.

Actually I havent altered the QE minimum threshold. It says QE Enabled in profiler & it definately has some functionality but it just doesn't work well or reliably. I was appalled to see that my xbench score has dropped to 27 from 50ish (bad enough) now that I have QEenabled. I dont quite believe it though, it works much better than when it was 50. I know that QE is a trade of of performance for functionality but 50% is ridiculous (and unbelievable).

I did alter the QE2D threshhold from 64 to 32 then 16 but couldnt get it working. I read that you need a "2d pixel shader card" or some such nonsense so I gave up on it.

Do you think that altering the QE threshold would make it work better? It's already enabled but who knows, might be worth trying.

As regard your OpenGL, I Think that the ATI 7500 Pack in the installer I used switches tour OpenGL to an earlier version.

When I tweaked QE into existance before I had to switch the whole Open GL folder for the one sullpied with the 7500 pack or it wouldnt work properly.

If you cant play chess and the flurry screensaver dont work then neither does you OpenGL. Maybe you need an earlier version.

I found that AGPGart1 with Callisto3 and OpenGL 1.41 is the best combo for me.

ouch, sorry looks like I spoke too soon

Think I have found my problem -it looks like AGPGarts dependencies.

Thought I had checked them -obviously not.

Was using AGPGart 1.1, tried replacing with 1.2 (2.1 in reality) -same problem, slightly worse.

I get:

AGPGart:

Version:	2.1
 Last Modified:	19/05/2007 3:45PM
 Get Info String:	2.1, Copyright joblo10, 2006
 kext Version:	2.1
 Load Address:	0x1fae0000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Incomplete
 Dependency Errors:
 com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 com.apple.kernel.bsd:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 com.apple.kernel.iokit:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 com.apple.kernel.libkern:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 com.apple.kernel.mach:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 Integrity:	Unknown

It was just the same with AGPGart 1.1 except the kernel.bsd dependency wasnt listed.

bummer dude,

So yet again it looks like my versions dont match up. Using chun_nan IOPCI, maybe ill try the JaS one.

Betolley if you dont get this problem. what versions (AGPGart, Callisto OpenGL) are you using? which kernel?

Strange thing is that QE is enabled, but it doesnt work right :P

Thought I was done tweaking!

I had to change to threshold to get the 32mb radeon 7500 mobility working in the t40. Can you plan armagedtron with OSX and your 7500? Chess and all that is fine. Even stellerarium works fine for me. I have the original driver pack. Stellerarium uses a qtopengl package for opengl.

I had to change to threshold to get the 32mb radeon 7500 mobility working in the t40. Can you plan armagedtron with OSX and your 7500? Chess and all that is fine. Even stellerarium works fine for me. I have the original driver pack. Stellerarium uses a qtopengl package for opengl.

I dont pay any games, so I havent tried armagedtron. Last game I played was Quake2 many years ago.

Sounds like you OpenGL is working fine, have you checked your ioreg for !'s? Perhaps it is the AGP & QE side of things that are struggling.

I never managed to get either of the 10.4.11 kernels working, how about you?

If the kernel works on your T40 than I should be able to as well.

I also get a "AGP v2 mode4 is operating in legacy mode" at boot. It used to bother me but increasingly think it is referring to the lameness of my graphics card and not a mismatch.

• 3 weeks later...

I set up the Radeon 7500 in my girlfriends T40 so that the card appears in the System Profiler correctly, but QE is not enabled. Reducing the threshold seems like my next, best hope. Could you please tell me what I've to do?

• 4 weeks later...
I have qe with a t40 ibm and a 5100 dell 10.4.11. how can i help?

for the post before me...have you lowered the amount of ram that is required for qe I think you will need to with a 32mb card. Mine is 64. Everything but games work for me.

I got the T40 as well. Does keynote presentations runs perfectly on your machine?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Missing files are missing. What type of a-hole would remove such attachments? I've had to reinstall my OS twice now because of this! Sorry to Rage, but it takes 2 hours to install Tiger!

This thread should be trashed!

• 3 weeks later...

can i use this method with my X1300 series PCIe graphics card.

I have a Radeon X1300 and my system profile says, quartz extreme, not supported.

I would love to enable quartz extreme.

Please any help would be much appreciated.

When i run Xbench it gives me results for my quartz graphics.

which leads me to think its working but just displaying its not.

I need it to work to run FCP.

Results 133.41

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.4 (9E17)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model P5W DH Deluxe

Drive Type WDC WD400JB-00ENA0 WDC WD400JB-00ENA0

CPU Test 117.90

GCD Loop 219.82 11.59 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 106.34 2.53 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 87.75 2.89 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 116.60 20.30 Mops/sec

Thread Test 165.61

Computation 152.21 3.08 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 181.60 7.81 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 125.51

System 159.22

Allocate 230.87 847.81 Kalloc/sec

Fill 132.56 6445.44 MB/sec

Copy 143.54 2964.77 MB/sec

Stream 103.58

Copy 102.54 2117.93 MB/sec

Scale 103.11 2130.20 MB/sec

Add 104.50 2226.03 MB/sec

Triad 104.21 2229.36 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 177.89

Line 137.36 9.14 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 191.80 57.26 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 154.96 12.63 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 147.03 3.71 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 423.95 26.52 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 58.02

Spinning Squares 58.02 73.60 frames/sec

i have a package on the iDeneb 10.5.4 v1.1 disk.

Is that the same thing. In the video folder, x1300-X1500 package installer. Is that an injector/kext file.

should i just use the command to back up and remove all the ATI stuff in my extensions folder now, then put all this package (from the installer) back in, redo my permissions, restart and do you think then, i will get my QE/CI. I have CI now and like i said my Xbench shows a value for quartz graphics. So i think its there i may have just messed it.

I thought i had a radeon HD 2400 but that was in my other system. But i have tried the originals from my timemachine many times, with no luck.

I have NatitX1300.kext and also have a kext called natit.kext as well as ATIRadeonX2000.kext, plus the ATIRadeonX1000.kext.

do i have too many versions in my extensions folder.

I can find the remove ATI command from my bookmarks.

Can you tell me if i am going in the right direction. I have rebooted and reinstalled my kext files so many times.

Thanx bibendum

• 4 months later...
Ok, after experiencing the frustration that is setting up the Radeon 7500 to work properly, I present this howto. As far as I know, there is no single how to that covers every little thing you need to do to get both OpenGL and Quartz Extreme working fully, but now you can accomplish this as I did!

1. First, you need to download my file pack from this post. Extract it as-is on the desktop somewhere.

2. Open a terminal.

3. Do this: sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

This removes the old drivers.

4. Drag and drop all the files from my Extensions folder you just downloaded into yours, authenticating when prompted.

5. Hit the back button in the finder, and open the Frameworks folder.

6. do this in the terminal: sudo rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL*

7. Drag and drop the new OpenGL file into Extensions.

8. Now it gets tricky: You need to duplicate some of the instructions from the original 7500 pack I got these files from (unfortuately, the original pack's instructions are incomplete)

"Instructions:

1. Run the Installer Package. Do NOT reboot yet.

2. Open Terminal and enter in the following

ioreg -l

1. Locate AGP in the output. It will most likely be listed as AGP@1, but your machine may differ. You will see "compatible" = <"pcixxxx,xxxx","pciclass,xxxxxx">

The first set is the item you should note.

Enter the following at Terminal:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

Locate:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci8086,2561</string>

</array>

Change this to reflect the information you got above.

cntrl-o, enter, cntrl-x

Now enter the following at the Terminal prompt:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

Now enter the following at the Terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add the following in the middle somewhere after the Kernel key, but before a Quiet Boot or Boot Graphics key.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f</string>

cntrl-o, enter, cntrl-x

Now open Disk Utility to be safe (this stepp is not required, but highly recommended) and run Repair Permissions on your disk."

9. Now that you've done all that, there' still one more step, which I learned from 7500-working.doc, found on these forums.

"First, open up a terminal session and go to the location of those temporay files, and tweak the contents of the AGPGART package. Go to AGPGART.kext/Contents/Info.plist and edit it as root. (sudo nano Info.plist) ??We want the kernel to recognize the 855PM GART interface as the AGP GART. ?Look for the line beneath IONameMatch that reads pci8086,2561. It should now be pci8086,3341. (Thinkpad T30 or Dell C640 users with the i845MP should use pci8086,1a31 instead.??Save it. (Use Ctrl-X, y to save and exit)"

Since I have a latitude 640, I used the one that step reccomended. Your mileage may vary.

Once all this jazz is taken care of, it's time to make doubly sure the permissions are right.

10. Do this in terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel *.kext?sudo chmod -R 755 *.kext?sudo chown -R root:wheel *.plugin?sudo chmod -R 755 *.plugin

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/?sudo chown -R root:wheel OpenGL.Framework?sudo chmod -R 755 OpenGL.Framework

Ok, cross your fingers, and reboot!

hello! thanks for all the help, but im stuck...i feel like a noob..but im stuck here:

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

Locate:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci8086,2561</string>

</array>

Change this to reflect the information you got above.

cntrl-o, enter, cntrl-x

i dont know how to "locate' the <key> etc once im in nano :-\

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Any one have the files. I would like to try this fix because that's the last thing missing from my HacBook.

Thanks

Yep, same here finished going thru my Thinkpad R50 and only things missing are OpenGL/QE for it's Radeon Mobility 7500.

if someone could put up a working tutorial it would be great.

body { background: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px; padding: 4px; font-family: Verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; } okay guys, as far as i know, ati radeon 7500 is not supported on leopard... however, since i got my hands on the pack and guide, and somehow understood some confusing steps mentioned, i will be trying it for a last time on a leopard, and if it works, me and u guys will be happy, and i will then post a new guide for that, if not, i will also try it on tiger, and then see what will happen, and then post u guys an update...

wish me luck

OZ