Help required: Choosing a decent P35 MoBo for use w/ OSX

61 posts in this topic

I did and still it doesn't work, maybe I am not doing all the steps necessery ? Do I just install the patch and reboot or do I need to do something more ?
Very strange... Worked for me straight off just installing the driver [but wait, i used v2 of the patcher because i had that one already, not the latest v4; this may or may not make a difference, i don't think it should tho, as i think the newer version should be 'better' than the older...]. Has your ethernet worked under other OS'es?

Thanks 3phemeral, and yes I'm dutch :unsure:.

I'm not pl,anning on overclocking anything, can I go with 677 memory then (not that the price difference is that big though, but I thought the e6750 needed ddr800 ram).

And should I get the p35-ds3 or the ds3R?

Thanks 3phemeral, and yes I'm dutch :) .

I'm not pl,anning on overclocking anything, can I go with 677 memory then (not that the price difference is that big though, but I thought the e6750 needed ddr800 ram).

The E6750 runs at a 8x333 = 2664 MHz. The front side bus [FSB] runs at 333, the multiplier is 8. Memory normally/'natively' runs at a 2:1 ratio with the FSB, which for the E6750 would make 666MHz. So PC5300 DDR2/667MHz RAM will run at its normal rate with the E6750. Nonetheless, faster RAM can either 'slow down' to 667MHz, or can run faster as well, by increasing this ratio in the bios. I'm not sure what faster RAM would do, whether it'd get downclocked to 667MHz or whether it would run at 800MHz, if you don't change Bios settings... My bet is on the latter tho. I don't think DDR2 800/667 is too important tho, buy what you think is best, or look up some information on this matter :)
And should I get the p35-ds3 or the ds3R?
I don't know... What's the difference between the two? Does the latter support RAID and the other one not? I'm not sure, but i don't think OSX supports RAID with these boards, so if you're planning on using OSX as your main operating system, just buy the one that seems better in your opinion but don't let RAID capability be a deciding factor :unsure:

Edit: I compared the product specifications for both boards on Gigabyte's website and i'd opt for the DS3R if it's not too much more expensive than the DS3. The DS3R is an 'Ultra Durable 2' design, which i've read means it's made of higher quality, longer lasting components than the other board. It also has 2 more SATA ports, and otherwise seems nearly identical, tho the DS3R also has RAID capability, but see what i wrote above concerning this...

It works under XP and Vista just fine, maybe I am using an incompatible version ? I installed Mac OS X 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 [JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2 iso , maybe another version might work for me, what do you recommend ?
Hmm... that's very strange... what's the device and vendor ID's for your network card?

I seem to have the annoying problem that when i've run XP the network card becomes disabled in OS X/ubuntu until i've started Vista, then rebooted... You may have the same problem, so you could try using Vista, then re

ooting to OS X.

Edit: This seems to be a Windows XP problem/bug: when shutting windows XP down, it will disable the network device until you start up windows again. To solve this, simply tick the 'Allow this device to wake the computer' [wake-on-lan] box under Device Manager -> Network -> Realtek RTL8168/8111 -> Properties -> Power Management. Vista does not need this.

My board is revision 1.0, running bios F6a, but i had this problem with the original F4 bios as well [downgraded once to check]... so stupid ^_^

My board is revision 1.0 too and I am running the F4 Bios as it proves more stable for me. I don't have Vista anymore as I used them just to play and now I installed Mac OSX. I'll try updating the bios to see if it works. By the way what is the maximun FSB you can get your processor to work ?

My board is revision 1.0 too and I am running the F4 Bios as it proves more stable for me. I don't have Vista anymore as I used them just to play and now I installed Mac OSX. I'll try updating the bios to see if it works. By the way what is the maximun FSB you can get your processor to work ?
First note that updating the bios didn't help me with aforementioned problem... I should have more time in a few days in which i'll try to sort it so i can use windows XP and ethernet in OSX/ubuntu afterwards... I've noticed that the light of the ethernet port only turns on once XP has loaded, while after using Vista the light is on as soon as i boot...

I've set my FSB to about 450 (x8 multiplier, so 3.6GHz) but it wasn't running truly stable... Haven't had too much time to overclock properly. But i'm sure i can go higher :happymac: I don't know if my RAM will limit me, as it runs at 667MHz natively, while a 450FSB will make it run at 900MHz... I've read the memory overclocks well tho, so i don't think it will really be a problem. I'll give lowering the multiplier a shot, to see what my FSB wall is, hehe...

It works with bios F6. BUT the overclocking does not work anymore... With F4 I used to run my FSB up to 490, at 3,9Ghz and it was rock stable. With the F6 if i overclock past FSB 360 or so it just doesn't boot. So it's bye bye for OSX until they fix the damn overclocking

It works with bios F6. BUT the overclocking does not work anymore... With F4 I used to run my FSB up to 490, at 3,9Ghz and it was rock stable. With the F6 if i overclock past FSB 360 or so it just doesn't boot. So it's bye bye for OSX until they fix the damn overclocking
Omg... that's retarded... And a 360 FSB, what's that? ANY board can do that, haha... What are your full specs, i'm curious, hehe ^^

I'll give overclocking a more serious shot in the coming days with the F6a bios [F6a is slightly older than F6 i think], then i'll try the F4 bios, see if it makes a difference for me... I'll report back :) Currently i'm running a 400FSB without even increasing voltages for the CPU/RAM... The RAM is even running at 1.80V, whilst it's specified to run at or 2.2V.

One more question, a bit offtopic, but it's the only thing that keeps me from ordering my new rig.

I've got a 500gig samsung harddisk now, with one 250gig partition full of important ' stuff ' , now all the dual boot tutorials say I should delete all partitions. Is there a workaround to this? Or should I just get another 500gig disk run in raid, and keep all the important stuff on 1 disk?

One more question, a bit offtopic, but it's the only thing that keeps me from ordering my new rig.

I've got a 500gig samsung harddisk now, with one 250gig partition full of important ' stuff ' , now all the dual boot tutorials say I should delete all partitions. Is there a workaround to this? Or should I just get another 500gig disk run in raid, and keep all the important stuff on 1 disk?

format the whole hard drive? what for? those guides need updating ^^ basically, all you need to do is make some space for the operating systems on that drive. say they're windows XP and OSX: you need to free sufficient space and make 2 primary partitions, 1 for XP and one for OSX, at the beginning of the drive. just don't touch the rest of the data and you should be fine... [i accidentally forma

ted a 200GB hard drive like that, so be careful :(]. 

if you need to resize and move partitions, ... i recommend you use a program like "Partition manager 8" under windows, or "gparted" [gnome partition manager] which comes on ubuntu install CD's, which you can just use as a live CD as well...

i don't really understand what you mean with the raid stuff there...

I've been looking at the same setup when I discovered this thread.

Are you able to read out temperatures of CPU and mainboard (via CoreDuoTemp or similiar)?

I tried CoreDuoTemp which was working, this was before i reinstalled OSX [coming to think of it, i don't remember why i reinstalled OSX]. iStat pro can read my hard drive temperature, and [i just installed Hardware Monitor 4.2, demo version] which seems to be reading my CPU temps well [they're about what the bios/everest has for temps, so they seem accurate enough]. As for motherboard temperatures, what program could i try? I guess Hardware Monitor should be able to pick them up - but doesn't. 

Thanks for your reply.Looks like at least the Core 2 temperature sensors can be read, which I think is sufficient. With my curent setup, no program picks up any CPU or motherboard temperature.
Yea, CPU temps are the most important in my opinion as well. On my old rig i could only detect the temperature of... 1 of my 2 hard drives! lol... soo useless if that's all you get...
Ah, I'll just format everything except the big partition, install vista lite first, and macos after that. I'm not counting on being able to run parallels under macos, that won't run good would it?
Sounds good, it shouldn't cause any problems... Of course it's wise to back up any indispensable data nonetheless...I haven't tried parallels on my new comp but on my old one [p4 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM] it ran OK... Depends what you want to do with it, tho... Just don't expect miracles :) Also, directx support is very bad, so don't expect to go running modern games on it [except say a bout of Counter Strike or summit like it]. VMWare Fusion may be worth a shot too... That didn't run well on my old comp, it may on this one tho, i've heard some postive feedback on it...

All good news I'm hearing, I ordered the gigabyte p35 ds3r (3phemeral told me it was better then the regular one :bag:)

- 2x1gig of twinmos ddr2 800 memory (only one they had in stock, is it any good?)

- a core 2 duo e6750

- Oh and I ordered a ipod classic at the apple store next door, but I'm not sure of that one though, maybe it's better to get a nano now, and pick up an iphone (16gig maybe?) when it gets released here 16gig should be sufficient for me.

Anyways thanks a lot for the advice, I'll let you guys know how it went (wil probably receive my order in 5 days, so hopefully I will be up and running at the end of next week)

All good news I'm hearing, I ordered the gigabyte p35 ds3r (3phemeral told me it was better then the regular one :) )

- 2x1gig of twinmos ddr2 800 memory (only one they had in stock, is it any good?)

- a core 2 duo e6750

Congrats, sounds good :) The memory should be fine. It's one of the cheaper brands, i believe, but as long as you don't overclock [too much :mellow:] they shouldn't give you any problems.
- Oh and I ordered a ipod classic at the apple store next door, but I'm not sure of that one though, maybe it's better to get a nano now, and pick up an iphone (16gig maybe?) when it gets released here 16gig should be sufficient for me.
Dilemma, dilemma... I'm facing a similar problem: 80GB ipod classic, iPod touch or wait for iPhone... hmm... No solution has arisen as of yet :huh:

Dilemma, dilemma... I'm facing a similar problem: 80GB ipod classic, iPod touch or wait for iPhone... hmm... No solution has arisen as of yet

I went for the 16 gig ipod touch

1: I already have a phone, nice little nokia on a contract..

2: I don't need to carry EVERYTHING with me all the time

3: Its wireless browsing, facebook and meebo apps will actually be able to tear me away from the hackintosh so I can use it as a little pda/laptop from the couch.

iz nice

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm new on this :( and I'm having problems with the Audio. I have the GA-P35-DS4 and a 10.4.9 version os the OsX. Everything works besides Sound, the Raid of the ICH9R, and the second monitor (Dual monitor) :wacko: .

I would like to start with the audio. I downloaded all the kext I found about ALC889 but nothing. On onership I should put "Read & Write" :D ? I installed the AzaliaAudio.pkg and AzaliaAudio2.pkg. No idea what else to do. I restarted, got errors and nothing. Next boot nothing too. No audio. I did some stuff on the Terminal and everything looks ok but still nothing.

What it should be the normal steps (step by step for a new on OsX :) ) to install the audio?

Thanks on advance!

Spec:

GA-P35-DS4

Intel Q6600

WD 250HB S-ATA

X1950 512MB Dual DVI

2GB Ram 800

Hi guys, I'm new on this :unsure: and I'm having problems with the Audio. I have the GA-P35-DS4 and a 10.4.9 version os the OsX. Everything works besides Sound, the Raid of the ICH9R, and the second monitor (Dual monitor) :wacko: .

I would like to start with the audio. I downloaded all the kext I found about ALC889 but nothing. On onership I should put "Read & Write" :blink: ? I installed the AzaliaAudio.pkg and AzaliaAudio2.pkg. No idea what else to do. I restarted, got errors and nothing. Next boot nothing too. No audio. I did some stuff on the Terminal and everything looks ok but still nothing.

What it should be the normal steps (step by step for a new on OsX :) ) to install the audio?

Thanks on advance!

Spec:

GA-P35-DS4

Intel Q6600

WD 250HB S-ATA

X1950 512MB Dual DVI

2GB Ram 800

As posted several times before in the thread, you need this kext, which was originally posted here.

In order to get it to work:

extract the files from the zip [under osx simply double click on the .zip file].

Open up Terminal [Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal] and type the following [bold text: text to type in Terminal. Safest way is simply to copy/paste to terminal]:

1. sudo -s (enter password)  <-- Gives you administrator rights
  2. cd /location/of/kexts , for instance cd /Users/your_username/Desktop if you've extracted the files on your desktop
  3. cp -R ALCinject.kext /System/Library/Extensions && cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions  <-- This copies the files to the 'extensions' folder
  4. <-- The next step will set the correct permissions for the files -->
  5. chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext && chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
  6. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext && chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
  7. rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.*
  8. diskutil repairPermissions /
  9. <-- Now reboot your computer: -->
  10. reboot or sudo reboot 

Hope it works,

3phemeral