[Good Info] Acer/Compaq/Etc. WiFi Killswitch Fix

Putzinger

74 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Please keep focusing on Broadcom 4311. Thanks

I think we should focus on miniPCI-express. I have tried airport extreme update, upgrade to 10.4.9, upgrade to 10.4.10, but still no success with wireless or ethernet. Both hardware are PCI-express card.

I don't know about tapping or anything, but my kext file is loaded with "loaded unsuccessfully". I think OSX detect my card, but unable to communicate with it. System said "Wakeup!" but no response from wireless card. Its like my wireless card doesn't understand it or talk in different language.

I've had that happen to me before, it's a problem with the actual kext file and not the wireless. Somewhere along the lines I'm guessing you edited the kext and for whatever reason the operating system can't read it(maybe because a syntax error?). When editing it using the copy/paste to desktop and using textedit, I get that problem every time. If I use terminal to edit it, I never get that error. But then again, that's just my limited experience speaking lo xD

• 1 month later...
Confirmed!!

The "tape technic" on 20 pin works 100%.

I have just lost my switch kill hardware button...but i don't care at all. :(

Can you post the picture of your card here? Thanks. I want to compare it to my card.

EDIT: From your post, I assume your card is working after you do the tape part.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:) FavleX and errandwolfe - Mind opening up PAINT and point at where PIN 20 is?

It's the one on the opposite side of the one in red (if you flip the card over. there's a pin labeled 18, it's right beside it). sorry don't have a cam on hand to take a picture of the back side.

By the way, tried the fix. Works in Windows, i.e. the switch on my laptop doesn't do anything + LED stays on. In Mac OS, no light, still nothing detected in network prefs or system profiler.

jcdelldw1390a5vh0.jpg

..sorry friends , I have been away for a while..

The Picture about my WiFi card is the one Teamster posted.

About finding the right pin u are looking for ,when u count them u have to remember to start from the first pin on the left, located on the surface displayed in the Teamster's Photo itself..ok?!

Then first on A side , second on B side ...and so on , just starting from the left.

Hope this helps. :)

errendwolfe i remember u mentioning that u managed to get past the kp's associated with iopcifamily.kext and ionetworkfamily.kext. if u could say how it would be great. i have a efi working 10.4.11 with vanilla kernel, and i maybe it works better with this set up? but i get the dependency kp's for iopcifamily.kext and ionetworkfamily.kext so i cant get into mac. right now im on the mac with a usb card, dispicable. lol

Hey guys, just received my Broadcom 4311 card today and installed osx- i came across a strange problem:

On my first boot I was able to get wireless. (but the airport icon shows no connection..) But after the first reboot the connection disappears and it says 'Airport Not Configured'. How strange!

System Info shows OS X recognizes my card- the display shows the card type, locale, firmware version but last and not least the last line says Airport is currently turned off... :)

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x7)

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 4.80.46.0

Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

I tried changing the networkpinfo by replacing en0 with en1 in text editor. But the system changes back to en0 after reboot. I am pretty new to this, what should I do to make this work? Do I need to repair permission after editng the netowrkpinfo file?

Hopefully I can hear from you guys soon! btw I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

• 3 weeks later...

CONFIRMED !!!!

Worked well in BenQ S61 with the 20th pin taping...

Before, it couldn't work at all, windows and mac recognized it, windows asked for a driver and then that's all, no network, no wireless list, nothing at all... in mac it was recognized as Airport Extreme, but I couldn't turn it on at all...

Once the 20th pin has been taped, it's fully working in windows and Mac... but instead of an always-on LED, i've got an always-off LED... but it's okay...

THANKS FOR THIS THREAD!!!

at last, my spending on ebay is not useless....

ups i think i misunderstood the method here...

what i did was i covered both side of the 20th pin... so it's like pin 20 n pin 19, or pin 20 n pin 21...

hmmm i wonder if it has any side effect, i'm still using it and downloaded almost a gigs with this method...

later, i'll get off the tape on the odd pin (whether it's 21st or 19th)...

• 2 weeks later...
and olinboy look at previous page, there is already a pic.

Thanks funnypanks, I have seen that photo before. I'm just wondering if I am supposed to tape that pin on both sides of the card (front and back) or just on the side that is shown in the photo, or maybe just the opposite side?

Just looking for some final clarification really. I tried taping mine the other day and I don't think I did it correctly. Nothing gained in OSX, and spotty performance in windows with both front and back pin 20 taped. Unless my tape job was bad :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, just received my Broadcom 4311 card today and installed osx- i came across a strange problem:

On my first boot I was able to get wireless. (but the airport icon shows no connection..) But after the first reboot the connection disappears and it says 'Airport Not Configured'. How strange!

System Info shows OS X recognizes my card- the display shows the card type, locale, firmware version but last and not least the last line says Airport is currently turned off... :)

I tried changing the networkpinfo by replacing en0 with en1 in text editor. But the system changes back to en0 after reboot. I am pretty new to this, what should I do to make this work? Do I need to repair permission after editng the netowrkpinfo file?

Hopefully I can hear from you guys soon! btw I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Well I have the same isue.

The very first time I installed the MAcosx 10.4.8 I had wireless disabled in the bios, so during installation process there were no networks detected.

Next time I reinstalled MacOSX, I enabled wireless in the bios and during the installation process (with the registratiion, locales etc.) wireless detects the wireless network and displays ESSID. But right after loading a desktop of Mac OS X, wireless icon in the tray states: "Airport is not configured".

It seems to me that macosx assumes that the wifi is not turned on phisicaly the computer itself. I have not seen any real macbook in my life, so I do not no if it has a phisical wireles on/off button/switch.

So I hope somebody can handle this issue and we will be able to get rid of WinBill's.

Cheers

BTW, I have

HP DV8100CTO

Radeon express m200

SATA 100GB

AMD Turion 64 Ml-34

Broadcom 4311

Well I have the same isue.

The very first time I installed the MAcosx 10.4.8 I had wireless disabled in the bios, so during installation process there were no networks detected.

Next time I reinstalled MacOSX, I enabled wireless in the bios and during the installation process (with the registratiion, locales etc.) wireless detects the wireless network and displays ESSID. But right after loading a desktop of Mac OS X, wireless icon in the tray states: "Airport is not configured".

It seems to me that macosx assumes that the wifi is not turned on phisicaly the computer itself. I have not seen any real macbook in my life, so I do not no if it has a phisical wireles on/off button/switch.

So I hope somebody can handle this issue and we will be able to get rid of WinBill's.

Cheers

BTW, I have

HP DV8100CTO

Radeon express m200

SATA 100GB

AMD Turion 64 Ml-34

Broadcom 4311

ur problem has nothing to do with the issue discussed in this thread. and it has been answered many times. read around.

• 4 weeks later...