so i start like root

i try to edit com.apple.Boot.plist

but when i try to change i have this errors

W18: Warnig: Changing a readonly file

E383: Unable to oprn swap file for "/Lib...../com.apple.Boot.plist"

what i have to do?

thanks

Hello fumocamel!

the problem is that you can't modify any file when you're using "-s" at Darwin bootloader. This flag makes system to be in single mode. So it mounts all partitions on "read-only"! To change "com.apple.Boot.plist" you can do it using two ways:

1 - Boot system normaly and copy "com.apple.Boot.plist" to you desktop and open it. You'll change it without problem. Save file and copy it to the original folder.

2 - Boot system normaly and open a Terminal windows. Type command: sudo nano /Lib...../com.apple.Boot.plist change it and save file.

It'll work fine!

My regards!

• 1 month later...

sono nuovo avrei un problemino ho installato tiger 10.4.9 di Unpuk nativo al riavvio mi da com.apple.boot.plist not found. spero che qualcunopossa aiutarmi a capire cosa fare e sopratutto siate piu dettagliati nella spiegazione. ci capisco poco del terminale. grazie

amd 64 dual core

ram 1 gb

mb msi k9vgm-v

nvidia integrata 25 mb

• 1 year later...
Works nearly fine.

"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32" in my com.apple.Boot.plist results in 1400x1050 (unchangable). A real progress in contrast to the formerly unchangable 1024x768.

But does anyone know why it works only with 1400px and not with 1680?

Edit:

?video at Startup shows that there are only 4:3 ratio resolutions like 1024x768, 1280x1024 etc. available. Is there any trick to get 16:10 ratio resolutions like 1280x800 enabled?

Just to give my experience- this worked for me without any problem. I'm seeing full 1680x1050 resolution on my HP Pavillion dv9000 using macgirls method with the string you used above.

Just to give my experience- this worked for me without any problem. I'm seeing full 1680x1050 resolution on my HP Pavillion dv9000 using macgirls method with the string you used above.

Same with me worked fine, thankyou

Im using

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050×32"</string>

and works fine. Using Chimei 22" monitor with ATI HD 4870 graphic card. Looks fantastic :wacko:

• 7 months later...

What would cause the missing boot plist file error on a clean install where the drive was formatted clean in disk utility and verified set as intel bootable? I tried several different 10.5.8 distros and all of them made it completely through the installation and then threw the missing boot file error after restart. 10.5.5 doesn't have this problem on my setup.

I didn't think to go into terminal and verify if the file is actually missing or just has bad permissions set - mainly because the error flashed by too quickly and went away to be replaced by the select boot drive option. Could I stash a known good copy on another drive and just use terminal to replace the bad / missing one? It looks like that's the last issue between me and an updated install.

I even tried doing the Boot 132 / retail snow leopard install and was able to get the dvd to boot but my screen goes dead immediately and nothing further happens. I could try specifying graphics mode and all that but with all the issues I'm having a hard time deciding what the best all around solution / direction to go in would be.

My system has to have a distro DVD in the drive to boot, by the way. Chameleon never seems to work on it.

I found another solution for the com.apple.boot.plist error (at least on my system via trial and error but it may be posted elsewhere and I just couldn't find it in search).

My boot drive is a SATA WD Raptor and previously I had all SATA. USB and Firewire drives with a single ATA drive partitioned as non start up Mac format. I traced a previous issue with upgrading past 10.5.5 to the ATA controller so I bought a new SATA DVD burner to replace the ATA one and removed the ATA hard drive. After that I was able to install just about every flavor of 10.5.8 distro and came close to a vanilla snow leopard via boot 132 method but every one of them would throw the boot plist error.

Sure enough, I reinstalled the old ATA drive and the system booted right up (unfortunately I had gone back to the 10.5.5 distro which was also throwing the plist error for the first time I'd ever seen). My SATA start up drive is configured as the boot drive in bios but apparently OSX is writing boot files to the ATA drive. I wasn't expecting that at all and now I'm completely lost on how to go about getting a working boot loader so I don't have to keep the DVD in the drive for start up. This explains why a lot of things haven't worked regardless of the various fixes and so on.

Is this one of those things that's common knowledge I missed along the way?

• 4 months later...
Open Treminal from the Utilities Folder, then run this:

sudo pico /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

the system ask for your password, then add it after the

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280�1024�32"</string>

I don't know why it is not working with

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280�1024�32</string>

Just a hint, diconnect the TV connector before boot if it is connected of course.

This works GREAT for me THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I have one question, I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2, Nvidia GTS 250 with dual monitors (1920x1200x32),

What code (if it's possible) can I add to this file to make it "Extend" and use both monitor at 1920x1200x32 resolution?

• 4 months later...

I added the GraphicEnabler option to Boot.plist and afterwards couldnt get osx to boot properly.

Rather than doing a fresh install or reverting back to a previous vmware snapshot i modified the boot.plist via command line.

Heres the steps on how to do it:

just an FYI for anyone thats running into issues from modifying boot.plist and then not able to boot into osx.. to undo the changes to boot.plist

if you use the install DVD sudo and other commands dont work so you have to boot into single user mode

press F8 and use -s to get to single user

then run:

#: fsk -fy

#: mount -uw /

#: sudo nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

make changes then save

#: reboot

and you should be good to go.

• 1 month later...
If you boot in Single User mode you are root so you can type

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

edit whatever you want the type Control-X to save and exit.

If you booted in GUI run Terminal and type

sudo su

type your password

type the command same command line as in single user mode.

Control X does not save and Exit (nano) Genius.... why dont u give complete information

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to change my boot resolution to a higher one no problem, but it is not displayed in the proper proportions. My monitor runs at a native 1920x1200, so I added this value:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

While the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] screen and grey apple are much higher resolution, they are still a bit vertically stretched. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi!

I know this thread is under 10.4, but I did not find an active thread to edit the boot plist for graphics elsewhere so...

Here I am :)

This can be too long to read, so I thank you all in Advance for trying to help me :)

I Installed 10.6.1 successfully from leo hazard's distro, I have only one resolution option ;) which is 1024x768

I had chosen NVInject from the options of driver installation.

From the iDeneb 10.5.8 lite,s hardware profiler, the device id for the gfx card is 10de:0401 for xfx Geforce 8800gt 512mb card for a 15 inch CRT monitor (Not upgrading soon enough :$ )

History:

I was on iDeneb 10.5.8 previously & the 512 mb injector / enabler worked (I had to erase that config because of iTunes freezing up! so can't copy kext from there :( ) so I installed it from the iDeneb dvd, on reboot with -x -v, the screen would still go blank black & stay there, I tried a safeboot & it gave me the following options :

640 x 480

800 x 600

832 x 624

1024 x 768 &

1152 x 863

Needless to say I picked the last one & did a reboot (non safe mode) I was facing the same issue, back to only one option of resolution.

So I trashed the kexts from extensions & restarted the rig, same issue of the black blank screen, so I restarted & re-installed the OS & I am back to the last good known working config.

EDIT :

One little piece of info I forgot about.

In system profiler, it currently shows as :

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0401

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

When I try to grab a screenshot, its coming in as Blank, I am unable to watch videos on VLC either

PS: I did check Lizard ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191486 )

It came up with a red sign for Chameleon? so I stopped

Whats my next step on getting a good resolution?