Walk Humbly, Son

Gatot

14 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

long time no see ;) how's life you there...

so... i went to virginia tech's website today and saw their in-memoriam video. it was very touching, especially the song that is used for the background "Walk Humbly, Son" by Eddie from Ohio.

further googling, found some links to original song and one in the internet's archive. i'm trying to decipher the lyric but failed :whistle: i ain't native speaker, to be. Below is my partial homework and could you some kind folks out there helping me with the rest? ;)

my condolences to all big VT family and thank you, thank you, thank you...

Edited: 28Apr07

BELOW LYRICS WAS MADE COMPLETE WITH THE HELP FROM LYNNES97.

Thank you so much..

==================

Walk Humbly, Son

(Eddie from Ohio)

Walk humbly, son

Walk humbly, now

And cherish every step

For a life well spent

On this earth we're lent

Will be marked by the void you have left

May you conquer not curse challenges

May you hold back the dark like a dam

May you lead your life with lion's roar

May you leave it like a lamb

Don't await rewards for your good deeds

A reward won't make them good

Don't await judgment of any foes

They'll receive just what they should

When you find the axis of this world

Don't tread too far inside

Run away as far as you think you can

Be well and enjoy the ride

Walk humbly, son

And store your pride

When you need strength later on

For your life's work will be judged if earth

Is saddened when you have gone

Walk humbly, son

Walk humbly, how

And forget not where you are from

May you go further than those before

And provide for those to come

Will you walk humbly, Son?

=============

I think people are overblowing this whole Virginia tech thing....sure its bad, but 20 people died...not THAT big of a deal in the grand spectrum of life.

In the grand spectrum of life the holocaust isn't a big deal, it didn't effect you personally and if it had you wouldn't be saying the things you just said. The point is, this was the biggest shooting spree in the history of America. Its effects on the country will be felt whether you think they should or not. Just cause you think their overblowing it doesn't mean it's getting overblown, plus I know how you feel about education killbot, this should be pissing you off as much as anyone. Think about the conotations of this act on education, policing, and social life. People right now are simply dealing with what has happened, and people are extreme so they're dealing with it in very loud and simple ways right now. Just let them and respect that this is a huge deal to a lot of people and, I will re-iterate because your lack of repsect for life here is disheartening, 32 students where murdered while in class that day. Not 20, and not 'sure it's bad;' yes it's bad and it's not a big deal in the grand spectrum of your life. You can not say it isn't a big deal because it obviously is. It is affecting millions of empathetic people all across America, and not to mention the thousands of people who knew and where family with the victims. And by the way, it sounds like you have the "grand spectrum of life" figured out, you should explain it to me. God.

In the grand spectrum of life the holocaust isn't a big deal, it didn't effect you personally and if it had you wouldn't be saying the things you just said. The point is, this was the biggest shooting spree in the history of America. Its effects on the country will be felt whether you think they should or not. Just cause you think their overblowing it doesn't mean it's getting overblown, plus I know how you feel about education killbot, this should be pissing you off as much as anyone. Think about the conotations of this act on education, policing, and social life. People right now are simply dealing with what has happened, and people are extreme so they're dealing with it in very loud and simple ways right now. Just let them and respect that this is a huge deal to a lot of people and, I will re-iterate because your lack of repsect for life here is disheartening, 32 students where murdered while in class that day. Not 20, and not 'sure it's bad;' yes it's bad and it's not a big deal in the grand spectrum of your life. You can not say it isn't a big deal because it obviously is. It is affecting millions of empathetic people all across America, and not to mention the thousands of people who knew and where family with the victims. And by the way, it sounds like you have the "grand spectrum of life" figured out, you should explain it to me. God.

Ok, obviously I have to explain myself, because I have already been pegged as an arrogant self-centered person, of which I am not. I did not mean that it wasn't that important in the spectrum of MY life. I meant that when you compare it to the things that happen every day (genocide of thousands, war deaths in the hundreds of thousands, car accidents where thousands die every day, etc.), it is relatively small potatoes. I am not devaluing human life, but acting emotional and irrational about the entire situation only hurts everybody more. The shooting itself is not actually even the problem....Some might look at me here and think I'm horrible. But the shooting is NOT the problem, when we lift the veil, we will find that it is a SYMPTOM of a great problem in this country....It is but one of many symptoms in this country's disease. To use a metaphor we have to find the root cause of the disease and find the right medicine that works. Getting crazy, calling for immediate legislation, etc. will only make the symptom worse, will only add to this country's long list of problems. We must first do research, to figure out the root cause of this violence, then we must figure out the best way to attack this root cause. I am sorry, but I will not fall victim to irrational emotion and anger, that should never influence one's decisions. It does not matter whether this happened at a school or at the mall, or a battlefield, the fact is that there are 32 dead people, plain and simple.

Don't try to compare my statement of 32 deaths to the deaths of 6 million people in the Holocaust, that is a completely different issue and falls within the category of Genocide.

I don't understand the grand spectrum of life, but I know that I shouldn't lose any sleep over 32 people when millions are dying each day from causes more worthy of our attention. If you don't lose sleep over genocide, you shouldn't lose sleep over a school shooting. Many people will hate me for saying this, but I am taking the logical ground, regardless of what people might think of me. Do NOT misunderstand me however, that is not to say that I do not value human life, in fact, I feel like I value it more than a lot of people I have met, but I also understand that people in this world die, and much of the time, they die for worthless and petty reasons...but...that is the world we live in, whether we like it or not. Rather than sit around and stew about it for a while with fake sympathy and then simply forgetting about it in a week, why don't we look at this issues, and columbine, etc. with an objective viewpoint, and actually put our heads together and DO SOMETHING about it. I don't see anybody lifting a finger to change the situation, all I see is sympathy, and unless it does something to help, other than making us feel better about ourselves, its useless.

Walk Humbly, Son

Eddie From Ohio (EFO)

http://www.efohio.com/flash2.html

Walk humbly, son

Walk humbly, now

And cherish every step

For a life well spent

On this earth we're lent

Will be marked by the void you have left

May you conquer not curse challenges

May you hold back the dark like a dam

May you lead your life with lion's roar

May you leave it like a lamb

Don't await rewards for your good deeds

A reward won't make them good

Don't await judgment of any foes

They'll receive just what they should

When you find the axis of this world

Don't tread too far inside

Run away as far as you think you can

Be well and enjoy the ride

Walk humbly, son

And store your pride

When you need strength later on

For your life's work will be judged if earth

Is saddened when you have gone

Walk humbly, son

Walk humbly, how

And forget not where you are from

May you go further than those before

And provide for those to come

Will you walk humbly, Son?

OMG.. Thank you so much Lynnes.. Its trully a beautiful lyric, meaningful message for the son..

hik-hik-hik (cry)

To Sabr:

The complete song is downloadable somewhere else, try internet archive for EFO live performance..

Or you may consider to purchase the album B)

• 4 months later...

Kilbot,

At first, I was infuriated when reading your post. Then, I realized that you must be devoid of a heart and a soul, and I began to understand.

If you take murder at its analytical core, you can readily understand your reasoning. Damn, 6,000,000 + jews died for no damn good reason other than the fact that they were jews. What the hell, another 32 souls pales in comparison.

32 children. 32 futures. 32 brilliant minds. 32 husbands, fathers, wives, sons, and daughters. And let's, just for the sake of cold calculation, equate those 32 souls exponentially. How many lives, in their own families and through friends and business associates, might they have touched?......Might they have changed.........?Might they have made better........? Do you have any clue as to exactly what was lost that day?

I had the pleasure of living in Blacksburg. My oldest son was born there. Blacksburg, Virginia is God's country; full of beauty and peace.

While you continue to look for the "root cause" of this senseless tragedy, please search for your soul. Good luck finding either.

Stupidty, ignorance and arrogance are synonymous with your being. May you find a purpose before you pass.

John C. Nolan

Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...