watercooling systems

dark4181

37 posts in this topic

I was thinking in something like the zalman´s cooler the expensive ones i have a pentium d and i actualy live ina very hot place the weather its betraying me, well i was thinking in something like that to OC my P D 805 to 3.66 or 3.9 i guess one of the high end aircooler would work

those are my options

option1

Option2

Option3

Option4

Option5

Option6

If you are planning on overclocking a pentium D on air you should be prepaired to spend around $40-$50 for something like the Coolermaster Geminii or the Tuniq Tower or the Ultra-120 with some quality fans like Sunons and Yate Loons. Cheap air coolers are good for stock systems, but they will have a lot of trouble keeping down the heat after overclocking, even more so with a Pentium D, which runs very hot.

Dark 4881,

The tray I used to mount the motherboard on is from a Coolermaster Aluminium Wave case, it can be seen here:

Click Here

I don't have any specific measurements for the hole cutout at the back of the G5 case, but once you have the Coolermaster motherboard tray it is a case of (no pun intended) of carefully measuring. Some of the standoffs from the G5 case can be used to secure the Coolermaster tray to the case and I finished off with some pop rivets at the back Anystanoffs that you don't need can be removed easily with a pair of pliers. This makes the whole mod very secure. The case comes with the correct motherboard standoffs, so no problems there. The only mod to the tray, was to remove the four lugs on the back pavel that would have interfered with the correct working of the rear G5 latch. I used aluminium angle to mount the radiator at the front of the case 15 x15 mm at the front and this was all carefully pop rivited to the radiator and two larger pieces of aluminium angle top and bottom which are in turn fixed through ther floor of the G5 case using existing G5 PS mounting holes and through the intermediate tray that supports the DVD drive.

Both 120 fans at the front have adjustable speed so are set at the slowest setting to keep things quiet, although one is set at slightly higher speed to avoid any resonance.

I am currently working on a polished stainless steel shroud to replave the black card mock up that is seen in the pictures above. I will post new pictures when I have finished this and also working on various other mods that will clean up both the visual look to try and make the case cleaner, more like the G5 case internals.

Hope this is helpfull.

so for your back panel, i'm guessing you used the back of the coolermaster tray also, and just trimmed it to where you wanted it?

so for your back panel, i'm guessing you used the back of the coolermaster tray also, and just trimmed it to where you wanted it?

Yes, thats right, I used the removable panel as a template, just be careful to measure, then remeasure, mistakes can be costly!

Use a jigsaw to cut the G5 case with a very fine metal cutting blade. The secret to not scratching the G5 case is to cover the whole back of the case with tape. You can use masking tape but I used Insulating tape as it is thicker. The bed of the Jigsaw will make mincemeat of your G5 case otherwise......

Use a jigsaw to cut the G5 case with a very fine metal cutting blade. The secret to not scratching the G5 case is to cover the whole back of the case with tape. You can use masking tape but I used Insulating tape as it is thicker. The bed of the Jigsaw will make mincemeat of your G5 case otherwise......

i did it the hard way with a dremel.

but yeah definitely tape up cutting area like crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I have a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) overclocked to 4Ghz.

The issue is that on Mac Os X the time passes much faster and the clock is never correct. The PC runs totally stable (no overclock issues) but somehow the OSX utilizes thecpu frequency or something to calculate the time.

My System profiler says teh following:

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 1 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.14 GHz

I think that if I can cheat MAC OS X to understand that I am running a 4Ghz Processor, I might have this problem fixed.

Anyone have a clue?

Hello,

I have a Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) overclocked to 4Ghz.

The issue is that on Mac Os X the time passes much faster and the clock is never correct. The PC runs totally stable (no overclock issues) but somehow the OSX utilizes thecpu frequency or something to calculate the time.

My System profiler says teh following:

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 1 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.14 GHz

I think that if I can cheat MAC OS X to understand that I am running a 4Ghz Processor, I might have this problem fixed.

Anyone have a clue?

why is this in my thread? honestly? this thread has nothing to do with correcting fsb clock

Hey, I just found something great about TEC !

Not so expensive compared to its performances.

Safer than WC, easier to setup, outperforming air cooling...

Check this out :

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Ult...Tec/index.shtml

Has anyone tested it yet ?

Has anyone tested a cool-it freezone with osx86 ?

I wouldnt mess with that cooler....or anything from Ultra for that matter. TEC, or peltiers, work on a temperature differential....the greater the temp difference between hot (cpu) and cold (heatsink) sides, the more efficient they become. You really wont see any of the advantages of thermo electric coolers unless you use them along with water cooling.

The TEC used in that cooler is grossly undersized at 50W, I assume this is because the provided heatsink is not capable of dissapating much more energy. However, for most desktop processors, you will want to use an 200+W peltier which will require a pretty beefy supplimental power supply, I recommned Meanwell.

That being said, properly done water cooling supplimented by a good TEC setup, can easily hit subzero temps.

Nice wc/tec components: http://www.dangerden.com