• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Ictinike

Ictinike

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Digital Art, Macs.

I don't think apple's business practices are legit. I think the US gov't/court should make them release it.

Thanks for making me smile.
I needed someting to cheer me up, very sad right now.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Retired Administrator

• Supervisors
  • 8,488 posts

I did read all through this thread today because I am close to buy a MacPro.
When I saw the statement that Apple should be twice as expensive than a Dell or HP I can tell you that you are definitely wrong.
A Dell and an Hp are both more expensive when you build the system exactly like the Apple and the huge difference is not just the price but also the software functions coming with a plain package.

Xeon Dual 2,66
4 GB DDR2/677
250GB
Care protection
Quadro FX4500
Dell: Windows Pro XP Only

No other features selected.
Apple around 5600€
Dell around 7400€

I don't know where you found that price for a Dell configured as above.
But who needs a dual Xeon anyway?

Here I have another, very interesting configuration:

Alienware Area-51™ 7500 - SLI

Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English
Warranty: AlienCare 1-Year Free Phone 24/7 and Collect & Return
Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis - Saucer Silver
Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Astral Blue
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply - EU Powercord
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB
Video Card: 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 250 GB Serial ATA 3 Gbit/s, 7,200 RPM with 8MB Cache
Optical Drive One: 18x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio - Standard
Network Card: Integrated High Performance Intel Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (DSL-ready)
Floppy Drive: 1.44 MB Floppy Drive - Black
Monitor: (None)
Keyboard: Logitech® Deluxe Keyboard UK - Space Black
Mouse: Microsoft® Basic Optical Mouse Black
Security Software: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Professional - 12 month subscription Included!
Alienware Extras: AlienWiring - Exclusive Internal Wire Management - £50 Value - FREE!
Alienware Extras: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - £50 Value - FREE!
Alienware Extras: Alienware® T-Shirt - FREE!
Alienware Extras: Custom Alienware® fUnc Mousepad - FREE!
Alienware Extras: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager - FREE!

Price: £2,283.86=3,365.86 EUR

For a similar price I can also build a monster of a PC, and use an equivalent Quad Xeon if you prefer (and it'll be OS X compatible)

In any case a Mac Pro with a default configuration isn't priced too badly. But you'll need at least 4 GB RAM and a better video card, as you are well aware. RAM will be expensive and your choice of video cards will be very limited.

But I'll suggest you a much better instance. A MacBook Pro 17" costs in Italy Eur 2,799.00
A HP with very similar specs costs Eur 1,300, but I have seen it for Eur 1080, new from a shop.

Edit: for the sake of fairness I must say that the cost of RAM for the Mac Pro has come down.
So now Mr. Steve Jobs give me a mid-ranged NVIDIA card and I might consider buying a Mac Pro.

mac.nub

mac.nub

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

I don't think apple's business practices are legit. I think the US gov't/court should make them release it.

:) it's comments like this that (almost) make up for your fanboy comments... I never seem to be able to make up my mind if you should be on my ignore list or not. :P

What do you guys think of starting a petition to send to apple to get them to release an operating system version that is not dependant upon apple hardware. :-)

perhaps if they saw the realization that i would love to run every pc i have on osx they wouldcinsider it???

of course, we all understand that the level of quality from apple hardware interaction cannot be guarenteed . . . however even the worst case scenario would be better than windows best .....

Anyway, back to topic... As much I would love to see Mac being supported on normal PC hardware I very much doubt it is going to happen... if it did I would totally be using it instead of Windows. But as it's not I love using Mac on my PC and Laptop as it's fun to play around with it, and hell... I enjoy the challenge of upgrading to the latest version of Mac and getting my hardware to work every time a new version of Mac comes out :P - that being said I also generally enjoy using Windows XP...

Darwin x86

Darwin x86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
A release of the Macintosh Operating System that can run on any hardware, and can support any application, has been in the works for the last ten years.

We are almost there, just be patient.

No one needs to send them a petition asking them to do what they have been doing for the past decade.

Shhhhhh....... I will all be over soon.

sarahbau

sarahbau

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

No one needs to send them a petition asking them to do what they have been doing for the past decade.

But they aren't going to release it. They maintain different OS X platforms in case they need to switch (like when they went from PPC to Intel). That way they can do it as smoothly and as quickly as possible. I think the PPC to Intel switch was smoother than the 68k to PPC switch in the 90s.

Guest: Ramm_*

• Guests
There are already several threads about this. In all of them, the original poster got third degree burns...

GBK.Xscape

GBK.Xscape

Carpe Deim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
haha so if we made a petition for windows not to suck it would actually happen?
if so, where do i start this petition?

MadDoggyca

MadDoggyca

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Actually, most people could care less about their operating system. Most people are content with the way Xp works.

Anyway, give me a mid range desktop mac, with a DVD burner, 1 G of RAM, Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz, GMA 950, 19" Widescreen, and 320GB HDD for the $589 I paid for my gateway. When you do, I'll switch. Till then, don't profess a point that isn't true.

No mid tower, the cheap macs are basically overhyped laptops.

I up wiht EFI and ever other mac or linux or windows user out there....^^^ this guy has no idea what he jsut said dose he?

I alwazs used ether dos 5.0 to windows vista.... xp and 98 for the logest time...... I hate linux its sucks and OSX is tight....

first off ever one cares about there os...... msot people that go into a store will care less aobut the hardware the then there os..many of times you can get a way with selling {censored} as long as you add ..Yes it can run this this and this... and the costermer wil lbe liek grate I buy one....

first of I not happy about XP. Format ever 6 monthes or so... some tiem 7 tiems a week...... vista better... 2000 didn;t run {censored} less so then vista... 98 didn;t understand how to use ram and the taskmgr sucked.... .Dos rulled... yep never had a issuse with dos ever.........

first of people don;t switch os becuz of "A" linux as a hole suchs ass and cna;t run {censored} on it "b" pc are cheap these days u can pic k them up at 499$ with preinstalled windows <forcued to us> or c) MacHardware way to exspince for the hardware under the plastic cover.... for me if I had the money I buy a PowerBook and boot camp it.....

but since i don;t have the money I settle for the NExt best thing and thats vista complaired to xp.......

I perosnly tired of formating losing ever thing and starting over atlest 43 times a year

and to all you mac fanboys there nothing diffrenct between mac hardware and pc hardware.... a stick of ram is a stick of ram. uselly made by the same complines with the same hardware specs .... Intil duo is intel duo.. no mater what pc or mac its installed in. and the lcd screen is a lcd screen that nice 8800 gtx card the same 8800 gtx card for pc....... I could never understand the price gouging from apple in over hardware for pc hardware...

gwprod12

gwprod12

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts
I've never seen anyone misspell more words than you. Congrats.

:thumbsdown_anim:

FUKKU

FUKKU

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I have yet to see an online petition actually work. If I'm wrong, I'd like to see a link or reference to where an online petition actually did work. While it may make you feel good to sign an online petition, I feel that it's an exercise in futility.

Pretty much, it's the equivalent of going to the oil companies and saying "make gas cheaper PLEEEEASE"

• Guests

I up wiht EFI and ever other mac or linux or windows user out there....^^^ this guy has no idea what he jsut said dose he?

I alwazs used ether dos 5.0 to windows vista.... xp and 98 for the logest time...... I hate linux its sucks and OSX is tight....

first off ever one cares about there os...... msot people that go into a store will care less aobut the hardware the then there os..many of times you can get a way with selling {censored} as long as you add ..Yes it can run this this and this... and the costermer wil lbe liek grate I buy one....

first of I not happy about XP. Format ever 6 monthes or so... some tiem 7 tiems a week...... vista better... 2000 didn;t run {censored} less so then vista... 98 didn;t understand how to use ram and the taskmgr sucked.... .Dos rulled... yep never had a issuse with dos ever.........

first of people don;t switch os becuz of "A" linux as a hole suchs ass and cna;t run {censored} on it "b" pc are cheap these days u can pic k them up at 499$ with preinstalled windows <forcued to us> or c) MacHardware way to exspince for the hardware under the plastic cover.... for me if I had the money I buy a PowerBook and boot camp it.....

but since i don;t have the money I settle for the NExt best thing and thats vista complaired to xp.......

I perosnly tired of formating losing ever thing and starting over atlest 43 times a year

and to all you mac fanboys there nothing diffrenct between mac hardware and pc hardware.... a stick of ram is a stick of ram. uselly made by the same complines with the same hardware specs .... Intil duo is intel duo.. no mater what pc or mac its installed in. and the lcd screen is a lcd screen that nice 8800 gtx card the same 8800 gtx card for pc....... I could never understand the price gouging from apple in over hardware for pc hardware...

Argh, I can barely even read that. And what that person said makes perfect - most computer users are not advanced enough to care what operating system they have, they just use it for internet, mail, word processing, etc.

Darwinian Dude

Darwinian Dude

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
RANT :)

At the risk of continuing this debacle, I have take issue with "Dos rulled... yep never had a issuse with dos ever........."

I used Dos, lots. I made batch files with errorlevel stuff and made my own menuing system that when you chose to run a certain game would make the required edits to config.sys and autoexec.bat to disable stuff that wasn't needed in order to free up more conventional memory, then run a .COM file made with debug that would reboot the computer, autoexec would launch the game, then when the game quits the autoexec would recall a batch file to return the config.sys and autoexec.bat to standard config and the autostart the menu on the next reboot, which it would then perform. I used lots of funky ANSI border graphics for my menu, and was very pleased with myself till the Junkie Virus killed my data. I was in high school at the time.

Dos had lots of faults! It's gone, I hate it, go away!!! Having learnt rudimentary Terminal OSX stuff ie normal linux shell things, I know only enough to know how little I really know but I can see how much more powerful/flexible/stable it is. Dos was a hack.

Dos probably never caused issue for you because you ran programs that didn't require unreasonable amounts of resources and importantly, Dos can only run one program at a time, so what can possibly go wrong? (i'm ignoring Quarterdeck things and doshell and other supposed dos multitasking things because they didn't work with any decent apps.)

Ok... Sorry to everyone who didn't want to read that, I love my mac and I aint going back. :)

/RANT

SpeedfreaK

SpeedfreaK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
apple would never release os x for custom pc's, because they tried that in the past (the clones) and suddenly their hardware sales dropped. What do you think an avarage person would buy? a very cheap but ugly dell or a relatively expensive, but nice looking mac? They all will buy the dell

And who said that os x is expensive? Vista will cost you a fortune for that crapy and buggy piece of software and mac os x costs only 129 €. If apple releases os x for normal pc's they have to raise the price of os x in order to compensate the loss of hardware sells and that aint cool

sarahbau

sarahbau

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

apple would never release os x for custom pc's, because they tried that in the past (the clones) and suddenly their hardware sales dropped. What do you think an avarage person would buy? a very cheap but ugly dell or a relatively expensive, but nice looking mac? They all will buy the dell

And who said that os x is expensive? Vista will cost you a fortune for that crapy and buggy piece of software and mac os x costs only 129 €. If apple releases os x for normal pc's they have to raise the price of os x in order to compensate the loss of hardware sells and that aint cool

OS X is technically an "upgrade," so the price reflects it. While of course each DVD includes a full install of OS X, they don't price it at $200-300 because everyone who has a Mac has already paid for an OS. It's not so with Windows, since people can buy components without getting a Windows license.

Darwinian Dude

Darwinian Dude

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

OS X is technically an "upgrade," so the price reflects it. While of course each DVD includes a full install of OS X, they don't price it at $200-300 because everyone who has a Mac has already paid for an OS. It's not so with Windows, since people can buy components without getting a Windows license.

Very true! I think this is dumb on Microsofts part though. It would be much easier to sell XP at my work if people could buy it for $200 outright rather than way more than that because they were stupid enough not to get it when they bought the PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy