Would you pay?

Would you Pay for OS X for you PC.  

140 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Would You Pay?

• $400 (Vista's Pro Price)
    • $200 (OS X Tiger PPC Box Price)
    • $100 (Average Linux Distro DVD kit w. Support)
    • ZERO - (Won't Pay)
  2. 2. Would you get other Applications from Apple for It?

• Final Cut
    • Aperature
    • Logic
    • Nah, I Only Need the Built-Ins.

35 posts in this topic

macs are a niche market.

also why do you want to run a mac on your own hardware?

i brought a mac coz its different, all those other computers are all the same.

what have something the same but make it different, start with something different.

• 1 month later...

I think 200$ is a fair price. I paid 260$ for my Win Vista Ultimate upgrade (but could have paid 200$ for an OEM). I love how Apple only has 1 OS edition and 1 price. Theres no Leopard this or that, just Leopard. I hated that with Vista.. Vista should have been Vista Upgrade-200$, Vista Standalone-350$ or something like that. Theres no need to confuse consumers with 3 editions and make them pay to little and not get what they need, or pay to much and get way more than they need. Anyway enough of my product editions rant :P

I think Apple releases an x86 version of OS X would be the end of them. Theyd run into every problem MS has with Windows. People producing crappy hardware, crappy drivers etc etc. This would cause all kinds of crazy issues with the OS the way it caused Blue Screens in Windows (leading cause of modern bluescreens is poor drivers). Apple is so appealing because you know everything is going to work. Your hardware, OS, and a lot of your software is all made by Apple.

What's this $100 for a linux dvd? Most linux dvds are FREE.

Let's tell it like it is TODAY in the computer universe.

APPLE : I am a free-market capitalist and have no problem with their business model. They make big

margins selling hardware and thereby reward their stockholders handsomely. They could care less

about servicing the great mass of computer users as evidenced by their high prices. They are destined to

serve their present niche market and not much more.

LINUX : In contradiction to Apple and Microsoft, linux exists to provide a FREE operating system for the

use of everyone. They are continuosly improving at a rapid pace, such that now PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu,

Suse, and a few others are equal to Windows . I started using PCLinuxOS about 2 years ago and the

progress the made in that time is amazing. There are a lot of posts on their forum by newbies

gleefully stating that now they can jetison Windows. As evidenced by the Dell/Ubuntu deal, linux is

starting to gain critical mass. It had to happen and i see no way it can be stopped. Asia will be the

leading adapter of linux.

WINDOWS: Very easy to use, lots of apps BUT it costs at least $150 and just cannot be safely used

in the TOTAL internet universe. There are places you cannot visit with Internet Explorer without

getting hijacked or worse. No, Norton anti-virus will NOT prevent this. Destined to eventually become

a gaming platform only. And no Microsoft, it is none of your business what hardware my computer is

composed of. You are banished forever.

My opinion and i'm sticking to it.

I hope Apple do not release the software for use on non-Apple platforms.

Firstly, I've been a Mac person all my life. I've had many Macs ranging from PB100s to my most recent, an iBook 900... and I'm writing this on my Hackintosh.

Now personally, I don't mind having to screw around to get OS X working on my machine, and neither do you if you're here. If Apple released a non-"Mac" version of OS X, they'd fall into the same trap as Microsoft; supporting a massive array of hardware and components, modifying the OS to run well on all of them. Bandaid patches for compatibility, etc.

In the end the quality of the OS as a whole would deteriorate... and that'd be a damn shame.

I'd rather run OS X illicitly on this machine and have to figure it out ourselves.

• 1 month later...

I would comfortably pay 200USD.

I would keep a stack handy at all times, and every generic PC I came in contact with would become a Mac.

I would buy 20 copies straight away to give to all of my friends and family. (and yeah I have the 4 grand to spend)

I cannot wait until they finally release it.