Don't let OS X fry your CPU! Temperature problems for my laptop

MaurizioP

38 posts in this topic

My CPU fan always worked right, until I installed the iStat Pro Widget.

It asked me to install something to monitor Intel CPU's.

It told me that no Fan was detected.

Well, like, 1 hour later, my system was VERY HOT.

What thing did iStat install on my Laptop?

sorry idiot question here ? i have a toshiba satellite runing osx 86 10.4.8 updated to 10.4.9, on an intel core duo 1.73 ghz,

seems to get pretty warm and fans running most of time ?

how do i check the chip temp ??

many thanks

Some of the 3rd party software will work on some computers. I haven't found one that works on my inspiron 9300. I have rebooted into XP and checked it and found that My CPU is running about 51°c in OSX while it run about 41°c in XP. This is while I'm just surfing.

• 2 months later...

Ok , i have pavilion 6187ea , with core 2 duo 2.0ghz , and using Jas 10.4.8 version, the problem is that the fan is working non-stop and never shuts down , i installed temperature monitor, and it shows that the cpu`s cores are running at 32c all the time the fan is working but cannot lower the degree of heat, is this normal thing in Mac , because in windows the fan is only working when there is a need for that but NOT nonstop working ... PLEASE HELP if anyone knows what is the problem with this.

alright well i havnt noticed any shutting down or anything from over heating but seeing this kinda got me worried.. i hav a core duo t2350 and i installed coreduotemp to monitor it.. it is saying that my temp is starting at 53C then cllimbing to about 63C then the fan kicks in and takes the temp back down to about 53C.. is that ok? im pretty sure that 50ishC is kinda hot isnt it?

i havnt done anhthing to the kext or anything..

i have JaS 10.4.7 installed with the 10.4.8 JaS SSE2 Only update...

thanks

ps: also.. coreduotemp shows my operating frequency as 1.0ghz but my processor is a 1.86.. it even shows that number in my about this mac window x2 of course :P and i havnt seen it go up from 1.0.. is something wrong there? or just a misread..

ps: also.. coreduotemp shows my operating frequency as 1.0ghz but my processor is a 1.86.. it even shows that number in my about this mac window x2 of course :thumbsup_anim: and i havnt seen it go up from 1.0.. is something wrong there? or just a misread..

Nothing wronh there. The centrino style proc has dynamic speeds . It's the whole point of being battery friendly.

Franky

alright but i just noticed that my core duo temp doesnt start at 53C it starts at 39C and slowly climbs to 63C then the fan kicks in and takes it down to 51C.. and repeats.. i still think that that is kinda high.. am i right?

This must be a bug , the fan should not be working like this , i am starting to get worried about this thing because this is certainly not good for my laptop , if somebody could help us out with this ...

The fan is constantly working to keep the temperature on 37c , and it seems that it is not controlling the fan right, because there should be an different levels of speed on the fan proportionally to the temperature... anyone any suggestions about this? I think that i will get back on vista because this is eating my battery very fast :thumbsup_anim:

with core2duotemp it shows that the temp is near 35c with no applications , or working on the system, and the current frequency is 2.0ghz i have c2d 2.0 ghz , so it means that the frequency is fixed, but it should be variable on centrino , am i right??

My CPU fan always worked right, until I installed the iStat Pro Widget.

It asked me to install something to monitor Intel CPU's.

It told me that no Fan was detected.

Well, like, 1 hour later, my system was VERY HOT.

What thing did iStat install on my Laptop?

I remember too that iStat asked me to install some monitors. I can't remember however whether I choose yes and whether the fans was running OK before that.

Does anyone knows what exactly iStat installs so I can check it and try to remove it? I will try to do some investigation on my own, but I'm currently away from my system and don't know when I will be able to do the research.

I have tried removing AppleThermal.kext and AppleACPIPowerManagement.kext and even replacing my AppleSMBIOS.kext with the one mentioned but my laptop still runs between 170 and 180° Fahrenheit. The fan only kicks in when the temperature breaks 180°, and then doesn't even run full speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Even a way to manually control the fans would be better than running at that temperature.

• 4 months later...
Remove ACPIThermal.kext in the AppleACPIPlatform kext

is it from the plugin folder in the AppleACPIPlatform.kext I'm supposed to remove the ACPIThermal.kext?

I also have a ACPIThermal.kext in System/Library/Extension...

Best Regards

I basically made it go to hot. Part of bottomcase is deformed from heat. I have an ASUS A6Tc with Turion64 X2 TL-52 processor.

I now downloaded Bresink Temperature Monitor, but it can only show me the temp of my hard drive.

Now i'm backing up my data with a big fan directed at the back of my laptop, so my system doesn't go down (overheat) after ten minutes.. I will try to get my motherboard replaced under waranty after installing XP... :/ ..

Other people fried their MLB?

Any experience with ASUS A6T or Turion64 X2 TL-52?

Thnks!