Parallels Sound Problems

14 posts in this topic

I am running Parallels on my Hackintosh with Pentium D 920 using 512mb ram for Parallels XP. Using build 1848 (origianl installation), Windows sound works fine. However, I tried upgrading the Parallels version to 1940 and then 1970, and get the same problem.. error with sound. Parallels reports error with sound with startup of the WinXP install. Anyone else with this problem? Fixes? Thanks.

I've have the same problem.

Browsing through the forums at parallels you can find similar messages, the developers keep saying to reinstall "Parallels Tools". That doesn't make sense to me since the error message about the sound device hits as soon as you hit play, long before the OS loads.

The newest version(3036) has the exact same problem.

And to remove all doubt that Parallels Tools is a red herring. Sound doesn't work on my hackintosh for a linux VM. The exact same VM has fully working sound on my macbook. There is no parallels tools for a linux VM.

Interesting finding: I have two Hacks, one with ALC882 which uses AZALIA and another which uses ALC880 and AppleHDA.kext. The computer with ALC882 with Azalia has the problems as above. The one with AppleHDA kext (ALC880) loads fine! Including the latest build. I am trying to get ahold of the latest 10.4.8 install (JAS) because this loads the newest Kernel. With Kernel 8.8.1, one can use the newly developed AppleHDA.kext for ALC882. If one can then use Parallels current build with the ALC882 AppleHDA kext, one would have to conclude that it is the Azalia kext that is the problem. Unfortunately, I am unaware that anyone has gotten ALC882 to work with AppleHDA.kext without upgrading to the 8.8.1 Kernel. Anyone with additional thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have any updates on this issue?

I'm having the same problem with a realtek 861 and the latest parallels build using an up to date semethex kernel.

I get the loopback will be used error, but no sound under XP.

I too am using the azilla fix for audio since appleHDA doesn't yet support this chip set.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

with my acl882 using the taruga AppleHDA (instead of AppleAzalia) sound works, but it will eventually die (the apps seem to cause the sound to die or whatever). if i quit the App that was using sound in windoze then my sound will start working again.

• 7 months later...