New Parallels Beta Build 3036 Released

Colonel

109 posts in this topic

Ok, i'm not too familiar with Bootcamp so could be doing this wrong. But i've tried formatting another disk using GUID and resorting a copy of windows on it. Parallels wont boot it though.

I noticed there's a 200 meg 'guid partition' ahead of my new windows one, does something need to install on there?

Thanks,

IAN

Ok, i'm not too familiar with Bootcamp so could be doing this wrong. But i've tried formatting another disk using GUID and resorting a copy of windows on it. Parallels wont boot it though.

I noticed there's a 200 meg 'guid partition' ahead of my new windows one, does something need to install on there?

Thanks,

IAN

No, that's what identifies it as a Boot Camp partition. Even if you wipe an entire drive as your Windows disk (I did this yesterday on my Mac Pro) there is still a 200MB Apple EFI partition (just like a Mac boot drive) identifying the drive as a bootable drive, etc, but also using a MBR format on the main large partition and a Legacy flag enabling it to boot on the Mac.

I'll do an hdiutil dump today and let you know what it shows for that drive. I'm off to work to play anyway.

Sad that I go into work on my day off too, but I have a lot of toys to configure today.

=)

Is this installing Ubuntu or simply running a previous install? I saw mesasges on the Parallels board saying that installing with previous build, then upgrading worked.

The previous builds do the same thing on both XP and OS X so I can't even get a working install. It shows the Ubuntu boot screen... then when I hit enter to start the live CD, the screen goes black and the HD and CD indicators continue to flash for about a minute... but the screen was still black even after 15 minutes.

Ethereal, so from the sounds of it the problem is display related. Have you set a resolution in Parallels under the video options? Maybe try a standard text display resolution (um, 320x240 i think?) or 640x480. Otherwise it sounds like a video setup issue in the virtual machine.. which i doubt you can work around..

As for Bootcamp/GUID on a secondary drive, i havent had a chance to continue hacking away at it more, but i hold little hope.

Hi,

especially to Munky ;)

I found a Fix for the non-working Keyboard and Mouse issue on some Computers.

:P:D

You need:

- A second PC with Windows on it. Either connected to the Web, or in the same Lan.

- download dyngate and teamviewer

Boot your Bootcamp XP native (choose Parallels Profile) and make sure you are logged in as an Admin. Install Dyngate/Teamviewer. Install as a host (=service). Set a Password and write down the ID number. Also check the Autostart option somewhere in the settings if there is one.

2. Reboot OS-X and boot XP in Parallels

Install Dyngate/Teamviewer on your external PC. Enter the ID click connect, enter the password. Now you are able to remotecontrol your Parallels XP.

4. in parallels, click Actions > Install Parallels Tools.

5. use your remote PC to control the mouse in Parallels and finish the installation.

6. Reboot the virtual machine and everything is working now. Even the co-something mode :)

Cheers,

xtraa

cool, thanks xtraa. i'll probably use VNC (as its what i normally use...) instead. damn, why didnt i think of that?? ;)

thanks!

UPDATE: I had to disable WinXP's firewall (by disabling the service altogether), but I got it to work with just plain old VNC. i had a batchfile run on startup which displayed the VMs IP address, and tehn just VNC'd in from OS X - worked a treat, and no need for a second PC :P

thanks again :)

I have it running in my hackintosh. It works pretty almost as well as the initial version 1875? It is not as peppy as the original one but the extra features are pretty slick. I can't wait to get CI/QE support so that will no longer be a hinderance.