[How To] Solutions for Video Problems

Rammjet

66 posts in this topic

Video Solutions

This is a compilation of many of the different video solutions available. It is not exhaustive. If you don't find what you want, search for it.

Please do not post questions in this thread looking for a solution that is not listed. Use other threads for that.

Please do post other good known video solutions in this thread. I will try to incorporate any posted solutions into the list. Otherwise, users can read the thread for any other solutions.

AGP cards
- see the
driver and the
driver and forum.

ATI cards
- see Callisto, AGPGart and Koverg patch and combo patches like All-In-One and Katana. For 10.4.8/8.8.1, check out Natit.
x200
- Use Callisto beta 3 (fixed) to get 1280x800 resolution

x300 PCI-E
- Go
(Italiano)

x800
and similar cards - Go

x850XT AGP
- Go

x1400 Mobility
- Go

x1600/x1800/x1900/x1950 cards
- see the
manual method or use the
installer method. They use slightly different methods, so if one doesn't work, try the other. (does not work for x1600 mobility video or for x1650 video card). Also, check out the Titan and Natit projects for new breakthroughs. Beta Natit

x1600 Mobility
- For 10.4.8/8.8.1 only. Read

x1650
- For 10.4.8/8.8.1, 10.4.9/8.9.1 and 10.4.10/8.10.1. They work on AGP too. Use this
by
modbin
and
by
kozlowski

- Go
and
and

9000 - 9550
- Read

9200/9250 patchers
- Enables resolution switching, enables AGP, installs ATI Radeon drivers for the ATI 9000 Radeon Mobility. No QE, CI or hardware OpenGL.
- (faster 2D acceleration, but no 1400x1050 res)

- (Slower, but 1400x1050 res works)

- (untested, CallistoHAL device ID 5960)

9550 AGP
- Go
(Italiano)

- Go

- see
and

9600 AGP
- Go
(Italiano)

All In One
package - Koverg + Callisto + Framebuffer for x600, x800, or other Radeon cards (like maybe 9700). Go

FireGL Mobility V3200
- Go
Beamsync
- Disabling Beamsync speeds up performance on LCD monitors only. Use
or type
command into Terminal.

Blue screen
- if you have an Intel graphics chip on a laptop and the boot is hanging at a blue screen,

try installing: an external monitor, a VGA dongle, the
or the

Callisto drivers
- for many ATI cards, x200-x850 and 7200-9850, go

Intel cards

8xx resolution
- (for 10.4.1
only
) see

9xx
- see
and

- For 10.4.8, see
and find packages on Demon.

- Got a funny pattern on your screen? See

Kantana
- For ATI cards, combines Callisto, AGPGart and card autodetection to provide OpenGL and resolution change. Go

Koverg patch
- for getting QE and CI on some ATI cards, use the
patch

Macvidia drivers
- go
. No QE or CI yet.

Mouse Tearing
- Also known as artifacts/artefacts, trails, blocks. This results from not having proper video drivers. To help reduce this tearing, use the commercial product Mousepose or this freebie:
and the associated image. Also, use commercial product Mighty Mouse with this

Natit
- open source development program for ATI and Nvidia cards (a clone of Titan). Go
or
or
or the
Note:
If you get a black screen after installation and you are running 10.4.8, try updating to a newer 8.8.1 kernel. Also, currently, Nvidia cards with 512 MB VRAM will not work.

Neopheus
- installer for the Boris method for ATI x1600-x1950 cards. Go

Nvidia cards
- use the Macvidia drivers or try either Titan or Natit.

- installer using Titan. Read

- installer in 2 parts. Get
and

7600 GS
- Dual screen using Natit. Read

7600GS AGP
- One screen tested using Natit. Read

Quartz Extreme 2D
- Enabling QE2D speeds up performance of graphics. You must already have video drivers working and QE/CI. Use
or type
command into Terminal.

Titan
- closed source development program for ATI and Nvidia cards. Go to
or
. Also read
or
or the
Note:
If you get a black screen after installation and you are running 10.4.8, try updating to a newer 8.8.1 kernel. Also, currently, Nvidia cards with 512 MB VRAM will not work.

TV-Out
- Read

• 2 months later...

I think I have the same card which one of these drivers worked for you the same black screen happened to me? can you let me know please.

The first option for ATI Radeon 9200 does not work with my AGP Radeon 9200 (8X, in a desktop). Causes black screen and hang.

• 4 weeks later...

I didnt know exactly where to post this so i figured i'd put it here :withstupid:

I found a way to fix the screen stretching on the Atix1400 on Dell Laptop's.. it runs at 1400 x 1050 res in 4:3 mode so theres black bars on the sides but hey it's not stretched so its ok til the smart folks find a solution to the res prob -_-. ANYWAYS on to my solution...

Load up the bios when u boot up the Laptop and in the menu go down to Video, then go to lcd expansion and shut it off. and thats it :), it will stop stretching all the images to fit the screen now. your res on windows will be the same but if you used a lower res the the max in windows it will be smaller. I use 1680 x 1050 as my res in windows so it fills the whole screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I am lost.

I am not sure if i have a video issue.

I have dell d600 with video card mobility radeon 9000.

I have installed jas 10.4.8 and it loads up and gets the grey apple screen and loads for a min or so and then i have a white screen that just sits there.....

OK so now what??

any thought.

My onboard VGA (AGP I think) Works very well but only resolution/refresh rate 1024x768x32*60Mhz

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

ID VEN 1106 DEV 3230

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3230&SUBSYS_81B51043&REV_11

Have tried every drive I found reading insanelymac, but still unable to change resolution. I know can use a ship Vídeo card but than I’m unable too fit my hackint0sh into my nice slim box I’d like to.

Can you teach this old man how to?

Tks

By the way motherboard is ASUS A8V-VM skt 939 (50 euros everything working)

I’m running 10.4.8 semthex 8.8.1 pppf1

Everything works right out of the box except:

Sound (AzaliaAudio) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=6740

Ethernet (Rhine) http://www.pinxue.net/mac/viarhine-rel.tar.gz

Firewire (added a very low profile concentronic 9 euros card, rebooted, plugged in my camera and it was fully supported/working) actually don’t know ID info. Can get it and PM if somebody needs info.

Same here. Anyone know how to undo the 9200 patch without having to reinstall Mac OS X?

same here when i installed it it was fine, told me to reboot, so i did, at startup (darwin bootscreen) there was a line with my video card listed "ATI Radeon 9200"..starts loading..then just hangs...is there anyway to undo this without having to reinstall ?? any help is appreciated.

thanks

The driver for the Radeon 9250 works for me. I can now change my resolution and stuff. How ever it only boots OSX when there is only 1 display connected.. When there are 2 it will hang during boot.

And once in OSX I still cant get "multiscreen" working....????

Anyone who's got that working??

My setup:

Asus K8V-X

AMD Athlon 64 2.4 Ghz

1024 DDR

ATI Radeon 9250 AGP

Terratec Aureon 7.1 FireWire

• 3 weeks later...

hey ratanplan for the x600 mobility ce search this forum for "zd 8000 extensions" and you will find a external site that have the zd8000 graphics extensions a.k.a. the x600 mobility pcie driver, for enable QE and CI search the forum and use "Quartz Simple", disable beamsync to avoid a whistle when you move the mouse (it start when you enable QE and CI. for the s-video tvout nothing to do now but i'm found an application from ati site "ati display control panel" that install a new kext called ATITVout.kext i'll working on this but i'm not sure about to do if someone is interested in help me in this work is very appreciated so we can have a fully working video card.

P.S. also both method to permanently disable beamsync won't work for me even the temporary solution with quartz simple, also help to set this would be appreciated.

Thanks at all for this great forum and for all the help with configurations .

3mend0 & kikay

I'm losing my mind!

I have an x300 pci-e (dev: 5B60). Immediately after installation Core Image and Quartz extreme were supported but I had some annoying mouse tearing and the resolution sucked.

After using the Natit installation I no longer have mouse tearing and it detects my x300 card - however, Core Image and Quartz Extreme are now disabled - and I can't get resolution above 1280x768.

Any advice? Detailed instructions very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey after I had installed Mac OS X 10.4.8,everything was ok except few things bother me are:Sound onboard with Soundmax AC97,refresh rate.

Problem with sound that I have solved with help of topic 99% works with....... in this forum (I thanks so much for that ^^)

But now my last problem is how can I change my refresh rate.Current setting now is 1280x1024x32@60. I have read that can change at boot.list (sorry can't not remember clearly) by add key Graphic mode and key string and I type it excactly as this

<key>Graphic mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85 </string>

(because my monitor can support that resolution & refresh rate) result is the resolution was changed like I want but the refresh rate was 60Hz.I can't make it higher to 85Hz.Anyone can help me with this,I thank so much !

My computer uses Pen4 Northwood no HT 2.4GHZ,Main P4P800-X,sound onboard AC 97 soundmax,512MB Ram,Ati Radeon 9550 GE 256MB.

Hope everyone can help me!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey after I had installed Mac OS X 10.4.8,everything was ok except few things bother me are:Sound onboard with Soundmax AC97,refresh rate.

Problem with sound that I have solved with help of topic 99% works with....... in this forum (I thanks so much for that ^^)

But now my last problem is how can I change my refresh rate.Current setting now is 1280x1024x32@60. I have read that can change at boot.list (sorry can't not remember clearly) by add key Graphic mode and key string and I type it excactly as this

<key>Graphic mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@85 </string>

(because my monitor can support that resolution & refresh rate) result is the resolution was changed like I want but the refresh rate was 60Hz.I can't make it higher to 85Hz.Anyone can help me with this,I thank so much !

My computer uses Pen4 Northwood no HT 2.4GHZ,Main P4P800-X,sound onboard AC 97 soundmax,512MB Ram,Ati Radeon 9550 GE 256MB.

Hope everyone can help me!

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am in the process of getting my Dell XPS to dual boot WinXP and Mac OS X . I have installed JAS 10.4.8 on my hard-drive and when it loads up I see the grey apple and the loading symbol and when it goes away the screen just stays blank white. Also I can hear music and I guy talkin in my USB headset about setting up my installation with voice commands. I am assuming that since I cant see anything that this might be a video issue. I have an ATI radeon 9800 XT and I dont see this specific card listed anywhere on the osx86 site. So I was wondering if katana or something would work and if so how I could install the drivers without being apple to get into the OS. I do have winXP working properly on another partition. Thanks in advance.

Chuck.