Fury X and High Sierra

cdrhoek

50 posts in this topic

Maybe they will add a 5100kext like they did with Sierra and the 4000kext, it turned into 4100kext, 4250kext etc...    If there is one good sign its that there is a 9300Controllerkext for the fury, they wouldn't put it in there without a reason.   Maybe it is part of a new "mretal 2" External GPU configuration.    

Yes that's the hope.

The vega was obviously first to develop because of the new Mc Pro.

But from reading the egpu forums there are a lot of real mac users out there with the Fury in their boxes and they're impatient to get them going in HS. One would imagine now that High Sierra has been released they'll tidy it up around the edges.

• 3 months later...

Good news!    They removed the AMD9300Controllerkext! :w00t:   What!

But they added the IDs 0x73001002 and 0x730F1002 to the AMD9000Controllerkext and AMD4000kext in High Sierra 13.4 developer beta version 1.    I can't test card because I don't have one but let me know if you can't get the beta I could try to load the kexts here for testing in HS 13.3.

post-1753549-0-06875400-1517017879_thumb.pngpost-1753549-0-14442500-1517017888_thumb.png

We are on 10.13.3 now.  Anyone have any luck with a Fury X?

It may have support now in 13.4 see post above.

Here are the kexts for testing.

Disclaimer:  Use with caution!   Make sure you have an extra drive or can afford to re install if they cause issues.    This may break configuration so make sure you have a backup before testing.    Use a kext repair tool like Kext Wizard or other kext utility to repair permissions and rebuild caches after replacing kexts.

Fury kexts.zip

• Like 1

Thanks for the update.

The Good:

I installed 10.13.4 beta and have some success.  I disabled the IGPU in the BIOS, load Lilu and WhateverGreen using -lilubeta and -radbeta.  OSX boots properly and appears to be accelerated.  Geekbench recognizes the Fury X as an AMD Radeon HD Fiji XT Prototype Compute Engine.  I got a score of 127990 in OpenCL and 135786 in Metal.  

The Bad:

I can no longer boot using my IGPU.  Clover starts properly and then I get an error when trying to load the IGPU

So far, playing most videos results in a complete freeze and requires a hard reboot.

• Like 1

Good news!    They removed the AMD9300Controllerkext! :w00t:   What!

But they added the IDs 0x73001002 and 0x730F1002 to the AMD9000Controllerkext and AMD4000kext in High Sierra 13.4 developer beta version 1.    I can't test card because I don't have one but let me know if you can't get the beta I could try to load the kexts here for testing in HS 13.3.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-26 at 5.43.21 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-26 at 5.43.53 PM.png

It may have support now in 13.4 see post above.

Here are the kexts for testing.

Disclaimer:  Use with caution!   Make sure you have an extra drive or can afford to re install if they cause issues.    This may break configuration so make sure you have a backup before testing.    Use a kext repair tool like Kext Wizard or other kext utility to repair permissions and rebuild caches after replacing kexts.

attachicon.gifFury kexts.zip

Thanks for the update.

The Good:

I installed 10.13.4 beta and have some success.  I disabled the IGPU in the BIOS, load Lilu and WhateverGreen using -lilubeta and -radbeta.  OSX boots properly and appears to be accelerated.  Geekbench recognizes the Fury X as an AMD Radeon HD Fiji XT Prototype Compute Engine.  I got a score of 127990 in OpenCL and 135786 in Metal.  

The Bad:

I can no longer boot using my IGPU.  Clover starts properly and then I get an error when trying to load the IGPU

So far, playing most videos results in a complete freeze and requires a hard reboot.

This is great news. Nice find Gigamaxx and thank you for testing cdrhoek.

After totally borking my macOS install while attempting to migrate my Sierra/Core i5/R9 Nano Hackintosh to Ryzen (and given that up until a few days ago the Fury series just didn't work at all on HS), I had almost given up. In fact I went ahead and bought a Gigabyte Brix 5775 on the cheap to use as my hackintosh for the time being and moved the Ryzen/R9 Nano to gaming duty. I may have to grab a spare drive (and perhaps my intel parts which were waiting to be sold) and give it another go :)

That said, on Intel, the iGPU not working is going to be somewhat problematic. Anyway, keep up the good work.

I am using an Asrock Taichi Z370 board with and Intel 8700K cpu

Still not working properly.  If I select PCI Graphics a primary, the system boots and works properly until a webpage tries to load video,  then everything freezes.  This appears to be the same situation that IntelGraphicsFixup fixed in earlier versions of OSX.  Maybe it needs to be updated for 10.13.4?

VLC will play videos if hardware acceleration is disabled.

If I select onboard graphics as primary, I get a repeating error in verbose mode

[iGPU]  Hash data from ME never returned status = 1

[iGPU]  GFx Firmware load process

[iGPU]  Forcewake Multithread = 0x30002

[iGPU]  Config (0xD00) = 0x00000000

[iGPU]  GT_ThreadStatus = 0x400b0000

I have tried various permutations of inject ATI or Inject Intel with no success.  I have tried using Fake id and Ig_platform ID using Kaby Lake IDs.

• 2 weeks later...

10.13.4 beta 2 is out.  I can now boot using UHD 630 graphics as well as Fury X.  I still get system freezes anytime Safari tries to load a video.  

Hi bro

Did you try the 10.13.4 beta3?

I just install it on my Haswell Platform with FuryX

I used the Lilu.kext, whatevergreen.kext, however, it seems faild to display.

The LED on the Graphics card shows that the GPU is working, when the clover -v boot screen disapeared the LED all turn to light and 1 second latter there is just 1 LED keeping light

(I think it is means GPU loaded to draw the loggin screen)

But the screen is black. The display signal didn't break off but it is just black screen, I would hear the system voice if I type on keyboard.

Then I loggin the system through using the IGPU. The System information shows the Fury X's model name, screen resolution and even show the screen is connected by displayport. But there is just a black screen I could see.

It took me mad, and I don't konw what to do with the issue like this...

Beta 3 has the Intel graphics working properly.  Boots with the FuryX and acceleration works.  I tried lexmark and it works properly.  Any attempt to stream video or play video with VLC results in a freeze.  I have tried booting with and without RadeonDeInit, and with and without Lilu, IntelGraphicsFixup, Shiki, and WhateverGreen.  I wonder if Lilu just needs to be tweaked for 10.13.4?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2018 at 4:09 AM, cdrhoek said:

Beta 4 works properly.  No freezing when streaming video

Great to hear.

Could you go into more detail regarding what (if any) steps are necessary to get the Fury working (beyond Lilu & WhateverGreen) and whether or not you get full acceleration (all CU's recognized) without any Kext modification?

Thanks in advance.

I have the Fury selected as primary in the BIOS.  I also enable IGPU Multi Monitor in the BIOS (Asrock Taichi Z370). I am getting full acceleration as far as I can tell.  I have included some config settings via Clover Configurator.  I have not modified any kexts. 

Inject.jpg

About This Mac.jpg

Arguments.jpg

Luxmark.jpg

Heaven.jpg

GeekBench OpenCL.jpg

21 hours ago, cdrhoek said:

I have the Fury selected as primary in the BIOS.  I also enable IGPU Multi Monitor in the BIOS (Asrock Taichi Z370). I am getting full acceleration as far as I can tell.  I have included some config settings via Clover Configurator.  I have not modified any kexts. 

Inject.jpg

About This Mac.jpg

Arguments.jpg

Luxmark.jpg

Heaven.jpg

GeekBench OpenCL.jpg

1 hour ago, cdrhoek said:

Update:

Lilu, WhateverGreen, Shiki, not needed.  All I need is RadeonDeinit enabled in Clover

Wow. Thanks for the update. This is great news. Apple implementing proper driver support for an architecture  (Fiji) that was never shipped with any Mac in any form. Let's hope this is a sign of things to come :)

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2018 at 8:28 PM, cdrhoek said:

Inject.jpg

About This Mac.jpg

Arguments.jpg

Luxmark.jpg

Heaven.jpg

GeekBench OpenCL.jpg

You got any idea if this works with the Non-X version of the card? I have the Tri-x version of the r9 fury

• Like 1

Happy to see this topic come back :)

Has anyone tested the fury cards under the latest version of 10.13.6 and or more importantly macOS Mojave?

I've currently got my r9 Nano in a Windows machine I use for gaming but am considering moving it back into a macOS build (or using it as an eGPU for my Macbook).

Same question here - anyone tested it in 10.13.6? 

Luxmark tests are always fine with those cards, but wonder how it performs with UI, FCPX, Motion, Davinci Resolve? Is it stable enough for everyday use? Fan noise level? R9 Nano and Fury are cheaper than RX 580 at aftermarket now and performance looks so attractive.

Edited by shijan

On 7/22/2018 at 7:24 PM, melon_Mac_Hack said:

Happy to see this topic come back :)

Has anyone tested the fury cards under the latest version of 10.13.6 and or more importantly macOS Mojave?

I've currently got my r9 Nano in a Windows machine I use for gaming but am considering moving it back into a macOS build (or using it as an eGPU for my Macbook).

I am using 10.13.6 with R9 Fury. Completely stable

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi...I see this thread is almost a year old. So, does the R9 Fury X work with Mojave without any adjustments? I am completely new to Hackentosh. I just put one together with a GTX 760, but get no acceleration. I have an R9 Fury X. Can I just pop it in and inject AMD and it will work?

Let me know...hope someone reads this old thread.

Thanks