Can't get iMessage/FaceTime to work

DeWo

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

let my just start by saying that I followed pretty much every guide I found on the Internet and nothing seems to work - logging out of iCloud, changing SMBIOS, generating new SN and UUID etc.

I'm running macOS 10.12.3 with Clover, currently on a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS. Everything works just fine except for two things - iMessage and FaceTime. The former shows as "inactive" and the latter doesn't allow me to make any calls. I've run out of ideas on how to fix it.

M.

--

Quick edit:

Forgot to mention that I think something's not right with my NVRAM - I can add values using the sudo nvram x=y command but as soon as I reboot the system, the field is gone from nvram -p.

--

Edit 2:

Finally got it to work. Using emuvariableuefi-64.efi seems to have fixed the problem.

Edited by DeWo

well the same thing happened to me, I have tried almost everything but no matter what I do, I still can't iMessage and FaceTime to work, right now I just tried adding emu variable to my clover installation and I still can't get it to work, can you please write how you did it , if you have some spare time during the week, maybe I'm missing something or maybe you are doing something different some where because just like you mentioned I've also have read all the tutorials in the internet

just to be clear my board works fine without emu variable , but I just added emu variable to see if that made any diference but It didn't, at least in my case

can post your steps if is not too much to ask for

thank you

What's your iMessageDebug output?

Those b*stards (tonymac) took down my in-depth iMessage guide, then banned me. I guess they didn't like the fact that I was actually supporting my guide and sharing knowledge.  :rolleyes: 

Anyway...

1. Go to System Settings->iCloud->Account Details->Devices tab and click and remove all unused/non-working devices (keep everything but your iPhone) by clicking on each device, and then clicking the "Remove from Account" button:

tBvybFD.png

Note: Some may not give you the option to remove it:

kWApvd4.png

So you'll have to go www.icloud.com->Sign in->Go to Settings-> Underneath "My devices" click on any of the devices. A box will pop up and it'll showcase the ones you weren't able to remove. Click on them and then click the Blue "X" to remove them.

9lr8dTH.jpg

2. Once done, sign out of iCloud (from system settings and icloud.com).

CIYbF2m.jpg

3. In System Preferences, go to "Internet Accounts" and remove ALL accounts

iEJLs3r.png

Now, if you were to go back to iCloud (via System Preferences), it should be empty:

GasSvtZ.jpg

4. Then download my iMessageTool and run it (follow link instructions on how to run it), and then type "dic" in the terminal prompt, hit enter:

CFB3N13.png

Then type "y", and hit enter to reboot:

7d16dIz.png

5. Boot back into Mac OS, mount your EFI via Clover Configurator:

qWZYYmy.jpg

Once mounted, click the config.plist icon below:

mZvVfIz.jpg

Go to the SMBIOS tab, click the magic wand icon:

zs6PXGt.jpg

Then click one of the SMBIOS that best matches your CPU (click for CPU list):

8VgGwFo.jpg

After you've selected a SMBIOS, click the "Shake" button for both fields, then hit OK:

KVC5gXq.jpg

Now you'll have a SMBIOS and Serial Number:

FPOYkGB.jpg

6. Then, in your config.plist, click the RT Variables tab, and you'll want to add these two values:

Mr8A12R.jpg

7. Run my iMessageTool again, but this time type "idgen" and enter:

AYY1Bn9.png

ZIiE5mz.png

8. Copy one of the generated IDs (XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX) and then paste it into config.plist->SMBIOS->"SmUUID" box:

sRWTITg.jpg

9. Save the config.plist and then restart your computer.

10. Boot back into Mac OS, mount your EFI, and open your config.plist again

11.  Run my iMessageTool again, but this time type "macgen" and enter:

xoKYtCv.png

mX21W4L.png

12. Then copy the generated MLB serial number and paste it into the config.plist->SMBIOS->"Board Serial Number" box:

u4784wN.jpg

13. Save the config.plist and restart your computer.

14. Boot back into Mac OS. Now go to System Settings->iCloud, and sign in with your credentials.

(If you get a Two-Factor Authentication dialog box first, I'd recommend skipping it, otherwise, you'll get thousands of "signed in" emails and tons more requests asking for your password).

Select "Not Now" and "Don't Upgrade":

KQKTopd.png

The following box should appear after you've signed in, click Next:

NJJxNP0.jpg

15. You should get several dialog (or one) box(es) with hopefully one of them asking you to setup Keychain, if not, check it, then sign in:

dIfnAdv.jpg

Click "Request Approval":

46dWUMq.jpg

The next dialog box should appear, LEAVE IT OPEN, do not click OK:

sht2k9o.jpg

16. Instead, unlock your iPhone. Then, you should immediately get a password prompt. Input your password and it'll say something like "Your iPhone is now sharing messages".

17. If not, go to your iPhone settings->Messages:

kn3kxI7.png

Then, Text Message Forwarding: 

OwDRJHP.png

Then make sure your hackintosh device shows up in the list and the slider is over to the right (green).

uZync5o.png

18. By now, the "OK" message on your hack should have disappeared on it's own.

19. Load up iMessage and wait about 5-10 seconds. A dialog box should appear about setting up messages with your iPhone:

aUkNyy1.jpg

Then this dialog box will appear:

uXEp8x2.jpg

20. Go to your iPhone, it'll now ask to input those 6 digits. Input them, and you should be good to go.

21. To test if it works, send a message to a friend or family member (not to yourself as that may have false-positive results):

BOTTsUI.jpg

*Special Notes:                                       *

- Your iPhone must be running IOS 8.01+, otherwise Apple's "Continuity" (device sharing across platforms) will not work.

- Please note that your device MUST be recognized in your iPhone's Text Message Forwarding list. Otherwise, iMessage will be broken. Try resetting the keychain password from your iPhone, remove caches/internet accounts from your hack, reboot the hack device, then pair the devices again via Keychain (System Preferences).

- Recommended that the SSD/HDD in-use is solely dedicated for Mac OS and not used for a multi OS boot setup!

If, after all the steps above, you get something like this, then Apple is potentially blocking your email address from using iMessage/Facetime or the MLB serial you've generated is not producing a good result:

hnJV6aH.jpg

Edited by mfc88
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

One and last thing what you have to do for working iMess/iCloud is fill ROM and MLB in RT Variables (Clover configurator). That is everything you need to fill in your config for working iMessage/iCloud. Take them from real mac and you will never have a problem with it.

Thank you for the guide, but even here NO ONE talks to people with 11-characters serial (not 12 --> 17 total) on their smbios.plist, also using Enoch bootloader...

After a lot of research I've come up with the fact that the free app "Pandora's Box" can generate an MLB also for 11-characters, so you'll have a 13-characters long serial.

The thing is that I have FaceTime fully working but not iMessage that sees me as inactive. I think it's because I don't have any ROM serial into my SMBIOS (into the /Extra folder), even though Pandora's Box has the option to generate one. Could it be?

Thank you for the guide, but even here NO ONE talks to people with 11-characters serial (not 12 --> 17 total) on their smbios.plist, also using Enoch bootloader...

After a lot of research I've come up with the fact that the free app "Pandora's Box" can generate an MLB also for 11-characters, so you'll have a 13-characters long serial.

The thing is that I have FaceTime fully working but not iMessage that sees me as inactive. I think it's because I don't have any ROM serial into my SMBIOS (into the /Extra folder), even though Pandora's Box has the option to generate one. Could it be?

I don't use Enoch, so I have no idea on how to troubleshoot... but you may be able to check and see if the hack is recognized by your iPhone messages (as shown above). If it isn't in that list of devices for text message forwarding, then iMessage will never work. And that would mean that your problem is with keychain not being properly set up.

I personally don't use these settings in my config.plist, but you can try anyway (after saving, just make sure you sign out of iCloud, wipe out the cache again with my tool, remove the accounts from "Internet Accounts", then reboot and sign in iCloud via Sys Prefs again):

(MLB === "Board Serial Number")

rasCZGX.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer.

As you probably already know, Enoch is basically Chameleon bootloader which uses the /Extra folder inside the only partition where MacOS is. And into that folder I have the /Extensions folder with just a bunch of useful kexts (yes, I'm still using KernelBooter_kexts=Yes), my DSDT.aml and smbios.plist. Pretty basic and simple.

I should also have an EFI partition but it's used by the bootloader and I don't have to insert anything in there (contrary to Clover if I remember correctly).

Other than that, unfortunately I don't see the hackintosh inside the iPhone's menu and that's obviously the major problem, BUT I can see it enabled inside the "Phone" menu and it's selected as a device in which I can forward iPhone calls! That's why I don't really understand  :lol:

Anyway, I will try again following your guide maybe later on. It's not a major issue for me right now.. at least calls are working and that's the best thing.

• 8 months later...

Hi nice guide but is it only for sierra and above???

I have used it on yosemite but I get this error I have tried a few times but still the same

NOTE: No input product name found, using IORegistry value (MacBookPro8,1)

NOTE: No input serial number found, using IORegistry value (W89GX278DH2G)

ERROR: Invalid model identifier!

I have just tried with Sierra and I get same error.....

NOTE: No input product name found, using IORegistry value (MacBookPro8,1)

NOTE: No input serial number found, using IORegistry value (C02J6MWUDH2G)

ERROR: Invalid model identifier!

Defaults-MacBook-Pro:~ default$ 

Edited by robi62

Hi I managed to do it both sierra and high sierra with  the idiot guide .

With  high sierra you have to add

<key>IgnoreNVRAMBoot </key>

<false/>

to clover config and bingo it is working Lovely