Dell XPS 15 (9560, Version 2017) compatibility information

Krim404

186 posts in this topic

Hi,

as far as i know the Dell XPS 15 Version 2017 should be compatible with Mac OS Sierra. I dont own such a device, yet - but i'm pretty sure it's basically the same device as the 9550 just with upgraded CPU and GPU.

So my tutorial (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/319764-guide-dell-xps-15-9550-sierra-10122-quick-installation/) should still be valid with it, but with some minor modifications:

1. replacement of the wifi card is a mandatory. Dell published a few days ago to use Killer Wifi (Atheros 2x2) instead of the Broadcom 3x3 used in the 9550. This card is and will be incompatible with hackintosh.
  2. if rumors are correct, dell will exclusively use hynix ssds, which are currently incompatible with PikerAlphas NVMe driver hack. At the moment there is no known solution for this, so buying it with the smallest possible SSD is a must (for replacement)
  3. because of the new CPU generation the ig-platform-id will be changed. After release they will be published pretty early

Tutorial Available

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9560-OSX/blob/master/README.md
  • Like 1

@wmchris, FYI: I have SK hynix NVMe 512G on my XPS 13 9350 and Pike's patches work like a charm...

syscl

did you modify them or what did you change? You're the first person i heard of having a working hynix. Even on Pikes blog they say that Hynix is not working...

EDIT: got reply via PM: seems like not all Hynix drives are incompatible. Depens on the used version.

1. replacement of the wifi card is a mandatory. Dell published a few days ago to use Killer Wifi (Atheros 2x2) instead of the Broadcom 3x3 used in the 9550. This card is and will be incompatible with hackintosh.

Is is possible to intall a 3x3 card instead a 2x2?? How??

2. if rumors are correct, dell will exclusively use hynix ssds, which are currently incompatible with PikerAlphas NVMe driver hack. At the moment there is no known solution for this, so buying it with the smallest possible SSD is a must (for replacement)

Sadly, if you wanna get 4k and the biggest processor i7 7700hq, you don't have any other choice than get the 1Tb SSD... so no small SSD possible...

Another possibility is to get the new Dell Precision 5520, which is the same machine with a quadro card, and you can customize it much better: processor, monitor, wireless, ssd, battery... (can you confirm it wmchris?)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=xctop5520hwus&model_id=precision-15-5520-laptop&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Is is possible to intall a 3x3 card instead a 2x2?? How??

Sadly, if you wanna get 4k and the biggest processor i7 7700hq, you don't have any other choice than get the 1Tb SSD... so no small SSD possible...

Another possibility is to get the new Dell Precision 5520, which is the same machine with a quadro card, and you can customize it much better: processor, monitor, wireless, ssd, battery... (can you confirm it wmchris?)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=xctop5520hwus&model_id=precision-15-5520-laptop&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

yes: the tutorial for the XPS15 is also valid for the precision. It was the same machine last year, so i'm pretty sure it's the same machine this year. :) and this machine is cheaper if you buy it without discrete gpu.

You can install a 3 wire card with only 2 wires, yes, but you'll loose performance / range.

Regarding the installed SSD: it's possible that the built in drive will work, even if it is a hynix device. Newer hynix devices seem to use a different controller chip, which work with pikes NVMe driver hack. But we dont know which are installed in the 9560, yet.

yes: the tutorial for the XPS15 is also valid for the precision. It was the same machine last year, so i'm pretty sure it's the same machine this year. :) and this machine is cheaper if you buy it without discrete gpu.

You can install a 3 wire card with only 2 wires, yes, but you'll loose performance / range.

Regarding the installed SSD: it's possible that the built in drive will work, even if it is a hynix device. Newer hynix devices seem to use a different controller chip, which work with pikes NVMe driver hack. But we dont know which are installed in the 9560, yet.

You can't buy without discrete gpu, just with the most basic gpu is possible.

Nice to know, about the 3 wire card, the thing is, what is the wire that you are not connecting?

Nice to know about the SSD as well. I am sure we will know pretty soon.

Apart from that, there are 2 things that I would like to know if works or not. I am having currently a Macbook pro retina early 2013, and I am thinking about updating in several months, and the best candidate it is the XPS 9550/9560 or precision 5510/5520. The things:

1) How is the audio currently working. I have been reading, that there are several problems with it, with not a good solution currently.

2) I would like to know if it works with an external GPU with a TB3 enclosure. Have someone tried? The main reason to change my laptop is for the possibility to use an external GPU with it, as I need it for work.

Thank you very much,

E.

You can't buy without discrete gpu, just with the most basic gpu is possible.

Nice to know, about the 3 wire card, the thing is, what is the wire that you are not connecting?

Nice to know about the SSD as well. I am sure we will know pretty soon.

Apart from that, there are 2 things that I would like to know if works or not. I am having currently a Macbook pro retina early 2013, and I am thinking about updating in several months, and the best candidate it is the XPS 9550/9560 or precision 5510/5520. The things:

1) How is the audio currently working. I have been reading, that there are several problems with it, with not a good solution currently.

2) I would like to know if it works with an external GPU with a TB3 enclosure. Have someone tried? The main reason to change my laptop is for the possibility to use an external GPU with it, as I need it for work.

Thank you very much,

E.

BTO: you can buy it without any nvidia GPU, but you'll have to use the i5. they force a discrete gpu if you want the i7.

Wifi Card: you just plug in 2 out of 3 antenna cables.

Audio: works pretty well, but not perfect: either no headphone jack but very stable audio or perfect headphone jack and your speakers will sometimes stop working until you plug something into the headphone jack and remove it immediately.

GPU: i'm unable to check it for myself, because i dont own a TB3 device, but someone reported that TB3 is not working while USBC and DP works well.

BTO: you can buy it without any nvidia GPU, but you'll have to use the i5. they force a discrete gpu if you want the i7.

I want the best processor, for sure!! So discrete for me is a must.

Audio: works pretty well, but not perfect: either no headphone jack but very stable audio or perfect headphone jack and your speakers will sometimes stop working until you plug something into the headphone jack and remove it immediately.

And what about just using audio through HDMI? I am usually getting the audio through the monitor from the HDMI connection. Is it working? As long as it works through the speakers (as standalone, when I am going out with it) and through the HDMI when I am at home, it is perfect.

GPU: i'm unable to check it for myself, because i dont own a TB3 device, but someone reported that TB3 is not working while USBC and DP works well.

Sadly, this is a must and the purpose of having XPS as a candidate, being able to use TB3 external graphics card. If this doesn't work, I don't need to buy another computer to replace my macbook pro retina, because with just the intel graphics card is not enough.

Thanks for the info. You are really nice!!

I want the best processor, for sure!! So discrete for me is a must.

And what about just using audio through HDMI? I am usually getting the audio through the monitor from the HDMI connection. Is it working? As long as it works through the speakers (as standalone, when I am going out with it) and through the HDMI when I am at home, it is perfect.

Sadly, this is a must and the purpose of having XPS as a candidate, being able to use TB3 external graphics card. If this doesn't work, I don't need to buy another computer to replace my macbook pro retina, because with just the intel graphics card is not enough.

Thanks for the info. You are really nice!!

tbh i dont understand why someone would want a discrete GPU on his notebook, but you can use a TB3 GPU from linux/windows.

tbh i dont understand why someone would want a discrete GPU on his notebook, but you can use a TB3 GPU from linux/windows.

If I could get the i7 processor without discrete graphics card, I would do it. This is the reason.

And yes, I know that I could have TB3 GPU on windows (as far as I know, linux is unexplored too), but it is a must to get TB3 GPU in macos for work purposes. So it is a NEED for me to get TB3 working in XPS in order to buy it.

What about the HDMI question?: And what about just using audio through HDMI? I am usually getting the audio through the monitor from the HDMI connection. Is it working? As long as it works through the speakers (as standalone, when I am going out with it) and through the HDMI when I am at home, it is perfect.

Cheers.

If I could get the i7 processor without discrete graphics card, I would do it. This is the reason.

And yes, I know that I could have TB3 GPU on windows (as far as I know, linux is unexplored too), but it is a must to get TB3 GPU in macos for work purposes. So it is a NEED for me to get TB3 working in XPS in order to buy it.

What about the HDMI question?: And what about just using audio through HDMI? I am usually getting the audio through the monitor from the HDMI connection. Is it working? As long as it works through the speakers (as standalone, when I am going out with it) and through the HDMI when I am at home, it is perfect.

Cheers.

regarding sound: it's a bug, it thinks a headphone is plugged in. So all other audio will be muted. can be fixed by plugging in a headphone and unplugging it.

does TB3-eGPU work with original macs? I think to remember something that it's not supported... but i'm not sure.

regarding sound: it's a bug, it thinks a headphone is plugged in. So all other audio will be muted. can be fixed by plugging in a headphone and unplugging it.

does TB3-eGPU work with original macs? I think to remember something that it's not supported... but i'm not sure.

What I was asking for about audio, is if it is working through HDMI. Because is the only thing that I need.

The TB3-GPU works, with minor tweaks. Apple, just banned the TB3 gpu cases, but jumping the protection (which is not difficult) you can use it, without problems increasing the GPU power x10 (for working or gaming purposes). Which is really good, if you want mobility, and you want graphics power at home. It is the perfect combination, is like having a notebook and a desktop at the same time. I would LOVE to have it.

Cheers.

yes.

And without loosing the audio like you said with the speakers? With VoodooHDA or patched AppleHDA? Sorry for the question, I don't know how it works.

EDIT: if you wanna see, how nice works the eGPU setup:

https://egpu.io/akitio-node-review-the-state-of-thunderbolt-3-egpu/

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/akitio-node-now-works-in-macos-with-late-2016-macbook-pro/

And a list of implementations of the eGPU:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/

And the script:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos/

Enjoy ;)

And without loosing the audio like you said with the speakers? With VoodooHDA or patched AppleHDA? Sorry for the question, I don't know how it works.

without loosing if you use voodoohda.

TB3 should be possible for someone who know how to edit SSDTs and has a TB3 device to debug it. The Dell uses the same controller category as the original MBP13,3 (2016 Touchbar Version)

Nice to know. I find it very attractive to have that combination.

Should be great if someone could try it and see if works. The important thing of the Thunderbolt 3 is not to have a USB-C connector, but the Thunderbolt 3 itself, IMHO.

I just purchased mine, waiting for delivery Jan 27-Feb 6. Parts list attached/below.

Wish I would have seen that the SSD may not work, I got the 512GB was hoping to dual boot off it. Hopefully it does work or else I may have to wait for solution if at all possible. I assume purchasing a different WiFi card should be a fairly easy swap, any recommendations on what to get?

post-1364638-0-07229300-1485049571_thumb.png

Hey wmchris I got my 9560 today! I'm currently installing a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro, I need a working system asap but by this weekend or maybe earlier after I have everything set and make a backup image, I can start to work on hackintoshing it. Unfortunately I won't be able to replace the wifi card soon so that kind of sucks. Would you prefer to use this thread for my findings or merge with the 9550 thread?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi wmchris,

I am getting my precision 5520 tomorrow (i7-7820HQ, 32GB, NVIDIA M1200 w/4GB, 1TMB M.2, FHD IPS display, Dell Wireless 1820 card). Is your 9550 tutorial still applicable? Has anyone reported success with the precision 5520 with your tutorial? Thanks a lot for your 9550 tutorial - I am going through it now.