The OSX tablet experience?

packcamera

18 posts in this topic

In the wake of the iPad "Pro" being anything but a professional tool for artists, (if I can't run my Adobe CC apps, then it is no good to me) I'm contemplating loading OSX onto a Samsung Ativ 700T or Microsoft Surface 3, as these units seem to have the most developed guides and are closest to fully-functioning. The Cintiq is under consideration, but seems to be still a work in progress.

Most of the discussion regarding OSX on a tablet seems to focus on the aspects of proof-of-concept and getting hardware components to work rather than the long-term experience of digital artists using OSX-ified tablet with their favorite apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. So, assuming that anyone is actually doing this, what's it like? How comparable is it to a Cintiq Companion? Any bugs with using touch/stylus and OSX? Any recommendations for either the Samsung or Microsoft tablet (or is there another option I should consider)? Please share your thoughts - thanks!

In the wake of the iPad "Pro" being anything but a professional tool for artists, (if I can't run my Adobe CC apps, then it is no good to me) I'm contemplating loading OSX onto a Samsung Ativ 700T or Microsoft Surface 3, as these units seem to have the most developed guides and are closest to fully-functioning. The Cintiq is under consideration, but seems to be still a work in progress.

Most of the discussion regarding OSX on a tablet seems to focus on the aspects of proof-of-concept and getting hardware components to work rather than the long-term experience of digital artists using OSX-ified tablet with their favorite apps like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. So, assuming that anyone is actually doing this, what's it like? How comparable is it to a Cintiq Companion? Any bugs with using touch/stylus and OSX? Any recommendations for either the Samsung or Microsoft tablet (or is there another option I should consider)? Please share your thoughts - thanks!

I mostly SketchBook on OSX and I can tell that the pen experience is the same as on windows! (but the file res is 16:10, too bad I still use the free version). For touch, on my Ativ I have to disable touch from the top menu (UPDD Console) then use the pen (as I found a way to install both UPDD's touch driver and the Wacom's Pen driver, and so they do not communicate) and even with the full UPDD package for Ativ, when I use the pen, the touchscreen is still active (UPDD is plain garbage btw, I hope someone here on IM make for us a touch driver with more iOS-like touch usability, I think @alex.daoud is working on i2c driver, if he succeded to make touch gestures and such, I hope he can port that to USB touch pannels as they are already recognized but need gestures). 

The problem with OS X and those drivers is the battery consumption! if you want to use touch and pen too, UPDD Gestures will kill your battery, if you're using pen only, I think it's ok.

Other problems like when you rotate your screen, the pen is uncalibrated again, and even with calibration it wouldn't work as it need to tell he driver to use absolute pointing (afaik, check the first 3 pages on Ativ guide) which is not easy to do if you're not using fb-rotate :/ 

Summing up: IT'S A HASSLE! A REAL ONE!

for Cintiq Comp. I think it's already supported officially by OS X in wacom's website, I don't have one and didn't check their guide yet but I think it's better than out crafty Ativ/Surface.

Honestly, 

I never had battery draining too fast on my 1° gen. SurfacePro even with Touch-Base drivers, it's now the cheaper and the only thing not working is internal Wlan card.

A great Tablet for OS X.

Honestly,

I never had battery draining too fast on my 1° gen. SurfacePro even with Touch-Base drivers, it's now the cheaper and the only thing not working is internal Wlan card.

A great Tablet for OS X.

How much does it last on battery only?

Is UPDD Gestures running always at 100% CPU (check activity monitor)?

For me (with a cpu usage throttling app) i get 4 hours of work on battey.

@midi My UPDD instance on the ATIV is usually at 0% when idle and goes up to 15% when scrolling or swiping. Currently my battery shows 56% and predicts 2:20h left what's usually accurate if I don't do anything very resource intensive.

• Like 1

@midi My UPDD instance on the ATIV is usually at 0% when idle and goes up to 15% when scrolling or swiping. Currently my battery shows 56% and predicts 2:20h left what's usually accurate if I don't do anything very resource intensive.

Mine is for some reason 100%, are you all using the paid version?

Why not paying for a software you need...

If you are using the demo version there isn't any problem...

If you are using Warez this is from our rules:

Discussion of P2P, torrent sites, or similar download sites of any kind will not be tolerated. We do not want to know your illegal downloading habits.

Why not paying for a software you need...

If you are using the demo version there isn't any problem...

If you are using Warez this is from our rules:

Discussion of P2P, torrent sites, or similar download sites of any kind will not be tolerated. We do not want to know your illegal downloading habits.

I have not downloaded a pirated version of it, still on the trial, and im not paying that huge insane amount for a crappy piece of sw. That's my opinion about it.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

THANK YOU!

The progress on the VoodooI2C project is coming along and quite a few different i2c touchscreens now support multi-touch. I recently added limited multi-touch for the Surface Pro 3 touchscreen and the pen support already works in their upstream code.

Don't see any significant battery drain from it either.

The progress on the VoodooI2C project is coming along and quite a few different i2c touchscreens now support multi-touch. I recently added limited multi-touch for the Surface Pro 3 touchscreen and the pen support already works in their upstream code.

Don't see any significant battery drain from it either.

But it's i2c interface, my tablet has usb touch interface. Luckily i found with the help of some guys on samsung tablet thread a way to lower cpu consumption to normal, it's fast and snappy now, but still UPDD is not cutting it out for us. My tablet's screen died on me recently, and the price of a new one is $100! I got the whole tablet for $200, im not going to pay more for it. I hope i find a tablet as cheap as this one with the possibility of upgrading the wireless chip. The HP Elite 2X seems like a good option now that it has multitouch gestures, but the price is really high. If you (everyone here) have any device in mind, let me know. Thank you!