fix for JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 boot hang + GMA grahpics issue + Pro apps

JaS

149 posts in this topic

No, not case sensitive. Did you do the fix in posting #1 ?

r2d2.kext gets moved from exrensions to extensions

It's case-sensitive for me!!

I'd same pb:

/system/librarary/extensions/r2d2.kext no such bundle file exists

(I've r2d2.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, with a HFS+ J case sensitive partition.)

fixed :

Boot in with -s option.

mkdir /system (if no error, your system is case sensitive.)

mkdir /system/library

mkdir /system/library/extensions

cp /System/Libray/Extensions/r2d2.kext /system/library/extension

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extension/r2d2.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extension/r2d2.kext

reboot

ch.

I have tried to install JaS 10.4.8 DVD, no luck, 10.4.8 Combo Update, no luck again.

Intel GMA900 Graphic.

JaS: Will there be a "update" in the 10.4.8 -update- to get it working with GMA?

Will 10.4.8 give a hope to Sigmatel 9250?

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Much respect and thanks for all of you especially Jas. Need lots of help as I'm new...

Got Jas 10.4.7 intel DVD install and it was working great. Downloaded the 10.4.8 intel combo update (JAS), installed is and got it stuck as described in other posts. Went through post #1 fix but when applying the mv I'm informed such file does not exist... Need help.

(I must add that the destination directories don't seem to even exist, case sensitive or not)

Also (not too rude I hope), the only reason I wanted the upgrade is because I couldn't stop Iwork application from crashing all the time... Will the 10.4.8 help me?

Many thanks,

Power to the people!

• 5 years later...

r2d2.kext, my system does not found this file (case sensitive or not)

what should i do?

i can install Jas 10.4.8 but after installation im only able to start it one time, after that time the bootloader simply does not boot the OS..

When you install JaS 10.4.8, do you remember that before pressing the Install button, to first press the Customize button? Then click on either the Intel install or the AMD install?

About r2d2.kext, here is a statement from 2006

Security Update 2006-007 for OSx86

December 1st, 2006skr3dii2 Comments

The security update has been reported to work on any INTEL SSE3 machine.

AMD is broken, since it replaces some of the files (Finder) that have been patched.

You need to be sure that you are running r2d2,

which should be the case if you installed latest 10.4.8 JaS DVD.

If you are not sure, run the command kextstat under Terminal,

and see if r2d2.kext is listed/loaded.

If you are running the last modded from source 10.4.8 kernel,

you don’t need r2d2.kext anymore, it is integrated in kernel.

i have one question, if i press the Customize button and choose Intel install i will have the r2d2.kext file?

the thing is, i can install Jas 10.4.8 but after a reboot it only works one time, after that time i got the blue screen and im unable to boot into the OS, also i noticed i can't use some applications like Adium, because they require a newer version of OS, how can i update Jas 10.4.8 in order to run Adium for example?

Note: This whole thread was about "JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.Combo.Update.pkg" which was a package to update 10.4.7 to 10.4.8. It was not about the JaS 10.4.8 install DVD's. By the time the install DVD's became available, r2d2.kext wasn't needed because the functionality was built into the kernel. So, if you have installed JaS 10.4.8 from one of the install DVD's, you will not find r2d2.kext.

1. About r2d2.kext - did you read the red text above. The later versions of the JaS 10.4.8 don't have r2d2.kext because the functionality is built into the kernel.

2. Blue screen - read posting 1 of this thread, just ignore the r2d2.kext situation. There are also other postings in this thread on how to get the files needed to fix the problem.

3. Adium - requires 10.6.8 but they keep ancient versions http://trac.adium.im...reviousReleases

4. 10.4.8 is a really, really, really old version of OSX. Depending upon your computer, you should be trying to run 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

Update: here are all the files referred to in posting 1: http://www.mediafire.com/?4hpdy41ydp74vl8

2. Blue screen - read posting 1 of this thread, just ignore the r2d2.kext situation. There are also other postings in this thread on how to get the files needed to fix the problem.

im running Jas 10.4.8 from DVD, i read post 1 of this thread but what part of the instructions should i follow in order to fix the blue screen thing? also what other posts you suggest?

4. 10.4.8 is a really, really, really old version of OSX. Depending upon your computer, you should be trying to run 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

where can i obtain a recent version of Jas?(eg. 10.6.x or 10.7.x)?

1. There are 3 parts to posting 1:

- r2d2.kext

- gma graphics

- iokit.framework

If you ignore r2d2.kext, then there are 2 more steps to do.

2. JaS did not make 10.6.x or 10.7.x install DVD's. But other people did. Go look in the same place you found JaS. Besides, the common method to install now is to use a retail Mac OS X disk. For 10.6.x , you use a boot CD like Nawcom's ModCD which then allows you to boot the retail DVD. For 10.7.x, you need a working version of OSX (even 10.4.8 will work) to make a bootable flash drive that then allows you to install retail 10.7. Go to the Genius forum of this board and read some guides for installing 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) and 10.7 (Lion).

3. I added some comments to my posting above. Refresh the page.

thanks for the reply..

i will try to solve the problem..

btw, my hardware is a laptop "hp pavilion dv4000"

i've also tried iDeneb 1.3 but sometimes the boot simply restart and other times at the middle of the installation it fails..

It has been a long time ago, but go to System Preferences and look for something like "International" or for "Language and Text". Inside that item should be a tab for "Input Sources". Scroll down and select Portuguese.

it works, but im unable to type "@"(arroba) with shorcut key alt gr+2..

i have connected an external VGA cable, and it works fine, but if i use the normal laptop without the external VGA cable it dont works, what can i do to fix it?

also, if i use JaS.10.4.10.combo.intel.sse3.update.zip can i use the last version of Adium?

and btw, where can i download filevault?

1. Keyboard - use a program called Ukelele to modify the keyboard as you see fit - http://scripts.sil.o...nrsi&id=ukelele

2, Video - Use the paperclip trick. Bend up a paperclip and plug it into pin 6 and 12 of the VGA connector. See attachment for pin assignments

post-321467-0-06912300-1337702325_thumb.png

3. The latest version of Adium is 1.5. According to its page, "Adium 1.5 requires OS X 10.6.8 or newer." 10.4.10 is a long, long way from 10.6.8. So no.

4. Filevault is included. System Preferences -> Security

thanks for the reply..

why would i need the paperclip trick? my VGA cable works fine..i was just wondering if i could use the laptop display without attaching the VGA cable to another monitor, what can i do fix it?

rlf, i installed iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 to have a recent version, but im having troubles with the video card(because i get the blue screen), i've connected an external VGA cable but i got the message "Video mode not supported", what can i do to fix this? i read on this forum that i when i doing the installation customisation dont select any type of video card(ATI,etc) and the OS should boot in VESA mode, does the paperclip trick works for this case? also what kext should i use in order to load the appropriate video card?

Do you have a flash drive? Does your computer have USB ports?

While I do some things, do this:

Boot your iDeneb install DVD.

Answer the language question.

Go to the Utilities menu and select Terminal.

Plug your flash drive into your computer.

Type: diskutil list

In the center column is the name of the various drives. Give me the name of your flash drive. Give it to me as exactly written whether it is all capital letters or mixed case.

In the center column is the name of the various drives. Give me the name of your flash drive. Give it to me as exactly written whether it is all capital letters or mixed case.

the name is "IPEN".