fix for JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 boot hang + GMA grahpics issue + Pro apps

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

I only have the Myzar 10.4.6 DVD and the GMA package is not on the disc. I've searched everywhere to find it standalone but no one has it. Any ideas?

An idea - try this:

Boot into safe-mode (-x)

Insert the Myzar DVD and let it mount on the Desktop.

On the DVD, go to /System/Installation/Packages. Look for a 10.4.6 Update .pkg file (the name might be slightly different). If you can't find it, then look for BaseSystem.pkg

Drag the pkg to the Desktop where it will make a copy.

Right-click on the pkg and select Show Package Contents. Then open Contents folder.

Double-click on "Archive.pax.gz" and let it expand.

Open the Archive folder and go to System -> Library -> Frameworks.

Find the OpenGL.framework. Drag it to this folder on your OSX partition: /System/Library/Frameworks.

You will get 2 dialogs: One will say you can't do that - just click the Authenticate button and give your password. The other will ask if you want to replace the existing file - answer yes.

Go to Disk Utility and repair permissions on your OSX partition.

Reboot.

ohmahgaw246

ohmahgaw246

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

An idea - try this:

Boot into safe-mode (-x)

Insert the Myzar DVD and let it mount on the Desktop.

On the DVD, go to /System/Installation/Packages. Look for a 10.4.6 Update .pkg file (the name might be slightly different). If you can't find it, then look for BaseSystem.pkg

Drag the pkg to the Desktop where it will make a copy.

Right-click on the pkg and select Show Package Contents. Then open Contents folder.

Double-click on "Archive.pax.gz" and let it expand.

Open the Archive folder and go to System -> Library -> Frameworks.

Find the OpenGL.framework. Drag it to this folder on your OSX partition: /System/Library/Frameworks.

You will get 2 dialogs: One will say you can't do that - just click the Authenticate button and give your password. The other will ask if you want to replace the existing file - answer yes.

Go to Disk Utility and repair permissions on your OSX partition.

Reboot.

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the speedy reply. :P

jackt283

jackt283

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I copied my OpenGL.framework over from my previous 10.4.5 installation and repaired permissions. All worked well, cheers all involved.

One thing though - I should probably be using the 10.4.7 framework. Any chance someone can zip the "iokit.framework" and the "OpenGL.framework" from 10.4.7 and rapidshare it (perhaps a PM)? Thanks so much.

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

One thing though - I should probably be using the 10.4.7 framework. Any chance someone can zip the "iokit.framework" and the "OpenGL.framework" from 10.4.7 and rapidshare it (perhaps a PM)?

Download Pacifist from Charlessoft.

Download the 10.4.7 Intel Combo updater from Apple.

Use Pacifist to open the updater pkg from Apple and select the OpenGL.framework and the IOKit.framework and click Install.

zedzed

zedzed

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hey guys - any chance you could fix the installer so that we don't have to go through this?

I am a bit of a 'tard when it comes to all this stuff and I find it very time consuming and confusing.

Here is the situation that I am in. I think that I moved the R2D2.kext file but I am not sure - a message popped up about "read only file". I then try to boot into Safe Mode (using f8 then -x) and I get to the blue screen with the Apple and where the horizontal progress bar is but the progress bar does not move. System just hangs.

Thanks

bonald

bonald

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
I find it weird that I can't find r2d2.kext in my system. It's not anywhere.
How can this be possible ?

Rossyboy130

Rossyboy130

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hi everyone,

I just installed the 10.4.8 combo update from 10.4.7 and i am having that boot problem. i tried jas' fix but it keeps saying "disk1s3 write locked" but my os x partition is disk0s1. I cant seem to get it to apply to the right disk. anyone no how to fix this?

-Ross

tguless

tguless

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey folks, I hope someone can help me here. After installing JaS.10.4.8.AMD.SSE2.Only.Combo.Update I can no longer install any package. I am getting this error message. Can someone give me guidance?

sudo installer -pkg /Users/Ted/Desktop/SiI3132_1.1.6u_Sil_Pkg.pkg/ -target "/"
Password:
installer: Package name is SiI3132 Mac OS X Driver
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS9ObjectImpC1Eb
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZN3KJS9ObjectImpC1Eb
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

Thanks,
Ted

DanD

DanD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I have had the same problem with black screen after updating to 10.4.8 from 10.4.7 DVD. I've managed to work around the problem in order to get a GUI, by editing ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist and changing CallistoFB back to IONDRVFramebuffer (under IOProviderClass).

Once I was back into the GUI, I installed the GMA package, as described in this thread. However, as soon as I put CallistoFB back into the Info.plist (to get the CI/QE), I'm back to the black screen with a cursor.

Please help!!

etx

etx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I had the black screen issue also. I installed IOKit, OpenGLKit, and the GMA915 kext from the 10.4.5 DVD I have. Now it's working, But I'm curious if I can use some more up to date stuff. I tried installing all those files from the 10.4.7 comboupdate from apple and I still had the black screen issue.

Is this all caused by the kext's, or the OpenGL kit?

Aelbery.Lee

Aelbery.Lee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have moved the r2d2.kext, but when I reboot to safe mode with -x, I still could not get into GUI.

ch6x6

ch6x6

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

No, not case sensitive. Did you do the fix in posting #1 ?

r2d2.kext gets moved from exrensions to extensions

It's case-sensitive for me!!

I'd same pb:
/system/librarary/extensions/r2d2.kext no such bundle file exists

(I've r2d2.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, with a HFS+ J case sensitive partition.)
fixed :
Boot in with -s option.
mkdir /system (if no error, your system is case sensitive.)
mkdir /system/library
mkdir /system/library/extensions

cp /System/Libray/Extensions/r2d2.kext /system/library/extension
chmod -R 755 /system/library/extension/r2d2.kext
chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extension/r2d2.kext

reboot

ch.

JSn1

JSn1

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
I have tried to install JaS 10.4.8 DVD, no luck, 10.4.8 Combo Update, no luck again.
Intel GMA900 Graphic.
JaS: Will there be a "update" in the 10.4.8 -update- to get it working with GMA?
Will 10.4.8 give a hope to Sigmatel 9250?

Thanks!!!

lon36unn3r

lon36unn3r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
i dont have the exrension folder and if i use the -v -f -x -s i dont know how to get to gui... sry but im noob

ZigZagon

ZigZagon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

Much respect and thanks for all of you especially Jas. Need lots of help as I'm new...
Got Jas 10.4.7 intel DVD install and it was working great. Downloaded the 10.4.8 intel combo update (JAS), installed is and got it stuck as described in other posts. Went through post #1 fix but when applying the mv I'm informed such file does not exist... Need help.
(I must add that the destination directories don't seem to even exist, case sensitive or not)

Also (not too rude I hope), the only reason I wanted the upgrade is because I couldn't stop Iwork application from crashing all the time... Will the 10.4.8 help me?

Many thanks,

Power to the people!

jnxjn

jnxjn

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
r2d2.kext, my system does not found this file (case sensitive or not)
what should i do?
i can install Jas 10.4.8 but after installation im only able to start it one time, after that time the bootloader simply does not boot the OS..

rlf

rlf

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
When you install JaS 10.4.8, do you remember that before pressing the Install button, to first press the Customize button? Then click on either the Intel install or the AMD install?

About r2d2.kext, here is a statement from 2006

Security Update 2006-007 for OSx86
December 1st, 2006skr3dii2 Comments
The security update has been reported to work on any INTEL SSE3 machine.
AMD is broken, since it replaces some of the files (Finder) that have been patched.

You need to be sure that you are running r2d2,
which should be the case if you installed latest 10.4.8 JaS DVD.

If you are not sure, run the command kextstat under Terminal,
and see if r2d2.kext is listed/loaded.

If you are running the last modded from source 10.4.8 kernel,
you don’t need r2d2.kext anymore, it is integrated in kernel.

jnxjn

jnxjn

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
i have one question, if i press the Customize button and choose Intel install i will have the r2d2.kext file?
the thing is, i can install Jas 10.4.8 but after a reboot it only works one time, after that time i got the blue screen and im unable to boot into the OS, also i noticed i can't use some applications like Adium, because they require a newer version of OS, how can i update Jas 10.4.8 in order to run Adium for example?

rlf

rlf

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
Note: This whole thread was about "JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.Combo.Update.pkg" which was a package to update 10.4.7 to 10.4.8. It was not about the JaS 10.4.8 install DVD's. By the time the install DVD's became available, r2d2.kext wasn't needed because the functionality was built into the kernel. So, if you have installed JaS 10.4.8 from one of the install DVD's, you will not find r2d2.kext.

1. About r2d2.kext - did you read the red text above. The later versions of the JaS 10.4.8 don't have r2d2.kext because the functionality is built into the kernel.

2. Blue screen - read posting 1 of this thread, just ignore the r2d2.kext situation. There are also other postings in this thread on how to get the files needed to fix the problem.

3. Adium - requires 10.6.8 but they keep ancient versions http://trac.adium.im...reviousReleases

4. 10.4.8 is a really, really, really old version of OSX. Depending upon your computer, you should be trying to run 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

Update: here are all the files referred to in posting 1: http://www.mediafire...4hpdy41ydp74vl8

jnxjn

jnxjn

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

2. Blue screen - read posting 1 of this thread, just ignore the r2d2.kext situation. There are also other postings in this thread on how to get the files needed to fix the problem.

im running Jas 10.4.8 from DVD, i read post 1 of this thread but what part of the instructions should i follow in order to fix the blue screen thing? also what other posts you suggest?

4. 10.4.8 is a really, really, really old version of OSX. Depending upon your computer, you should be trying to run 10.6.x or 10.7.x.

where can i obtain a recent version of Jas?(eg. 10.6.x or 10.7.x)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy