Status of Unlocker 2.0

Donk

226 posts in this topic

VMware workstation 12.0.1 is out. Did any bros test VMware Unlocker with it?

All Workstation updates, uninstall the previous version and do a fresh install, so you always need to re-apply the Unlocker. 

• Like 1

All Workstation updates, uninstall the previous version and do a fresh install, so you always need to re-apply the Unlocker. 

Basically, Unlocker works for all minor updates, right bro?

Basically, Unlocker works for all minor updates, right bro?

Yes it does but you should do the follwoing sequence to ensure all is OK.

1. Run unlocker uninstall command

2. Upgrade VMware

3. Run unlocker install command

This is not needed on ESXi as the patcher runs at each boot of the host system.

• Like 1

Yes it does but you should do the follwoing sequence to ensure all is OK.

1. Run unlocker uninstall command

2. Upgrade VMware

3. Run unlocker install command

This is not needed on ESXi as the patcher runs at each boot of the host system.

Thank you for your reply. I only use VMware workstation :D

• 3 weeks later...

An update on some changes that will be coming to the unlocker and why I am doing it.

1. Tools (darwin.iso) will not be distributed with the unlocker but a new part of the unlocker will download the latest version of the tools directly during the setup process. That way I am not shipping licensed VMware code, and you will always get the latest version. You can run the download tool at any time to get new versions without me having to create a new unlocker version.

2. Darwin.iso will not be copied to the VMware installation folders. I did this as I wanted to see if it could be patched to allow the install tools menu to function. I have not found a way to do this, and so will keep the tools in the unlocker folder.

3. The firmware EFI files for pre-Lion non-server versions will be removed. The problem here is that I could screw up your install by using a Fusion 7 module with a Fusion 8 system. (I have seen exactly this with using modified BIOS files). Sorry to do this but the process of fixing the EFI is time consuming, and although it may possibly be automated there are other ways to sort this issue out by modifying the OS X ISO. I will try and build something to do that as part of the next point (4).

4. Linux appliance to build installation media from the DMG or installation Apps. The idea here is that, for those without a functioning OS X to build media, we can provide a simple method to create a bootable ISO for VMware. I decided on Linux as we need read/write access to the HFS+ file system. I am currently using a small Ubuntu JeOS but still about 250MB in size.  Let me know if there is someone skilled in building a small Linux image with HFS/HFS+ support plus VMware tools and would like to help.

The first 3 changes are almost ready to go. The Linux appliance is more ambitious and will take longer to build and test.

Any thoughts on this please post a reply.

Dave

Another update on these changes as 2.0.8 will be available at weekend so long as testing goes OK..

1. Tool works well, and is embedded in the installer. Can also be run at any time to update to latest darwin.iso.

2. Kept the copy to the installation folder as menu does work. It may even allow the tools to be downloaded directly in 12 - still checking this one.

3. Removed patched EFI firmware files.

4. I have this working on Ubuntu (now ~450MB due to tools needed). Can create images for 10.7-10.11 from the installation apps. Working on 10.5-10.6, to add files to enable client to look like server and pass VMware EFI check. Still coding to be done but looks promising. Also trying to build a Tiny Core Linux version at a 10th of the size of Ubuntu (anyone have some expereince who would like to help?). Initially will be for Windows VMware users, and will sort out Linux later. 

Hi, I posted my problem in the New Users area, but have not received any replies.  Basically I can't get full screen resolution with Workstation 12 Pro, but everything works with Workstation 12 Player.  If you can check my earlier post, that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
I' running into this problem when i try to expand my OS X(El Capitan) virtual machine diskspace on VMware 12 - on Windows 10. With Unlocker 2.07

I'm using TechReviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIINnuBRsmg - download link: https://goo.gl/2Lu9c6

I get this core dump:

vcpu:-0:Verify vmcore/vmm/main/physmem_monitor.c:1178

And yes i've already added:   smc.version = "0"   to my VMX configuration file...

What is wrong ???

Please i can't expand my OS X VM image: 40 GB preset in VMware is simply to small

Regards

Tom

• 3 months later...

4. I have this working on Ubuntu (now ~450MB due to tools needed). Can create images for 10.7-10.11 from the installation apps. Working on 10.5-10.6, to add files to enable client to look like server and pass VMware EFI check. Still coding to be done but looks promising. Also trying to build a Tiny Core Linux version at a 10th of the size of Ubuntu (anyone have some expereince who would like to help?). Initially will be for Windows VMware users, and will sort out Linux later.

Could you share the image creator scripts?

Could you share the image creator scripts?

Give me a few days and will upload. I have 3 experimental scripts and appliances I was working on a few months ago. Real world issues got in the way of finishing them.

1. Scripts and appliance to build installer VMDK from Leopard to El Capitan (Windows for now, Linux later)

2. Script for OS X to fix non-server versions of Leopard/Snow Leopard (OS X only)

3. Script to create a VM, download El Capitan recovery HD then install using Apple Account. (Windows for now, Linux later)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

any news?

Sorry been away from this due to some unforeseen family issues (mother-in-law died) and then I got ill. Not a great few weeks. I am getting it put together in an experimental package for some testing. Will be happy for anyone to give it a go. 

• Like 1

Sorry been away from this due to some unforeseen family issues (mother-in-law died) and then I got ill. Not a great few weeks. I am getting it put together in an experimental package for some testing. Will be happy for anyone to give it a go. 

Donk,

Very sorry to hear your latest family bad news, tough times mate, my heart goes out to you and your family. Please count me in when you are ready for anything to be tested.

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss. Take care your heath.

Hope to see a new update for Unlocker soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I can confirm the 2.0.7 release works fine on fresh installs of ESXi 6.0 update 2, and those patched from ESXi 6.0 update 1 to update 2, will continue to work

The latest version of the Unlocker 2.0.8 also work fine with ESXi 6.0 U2 including the latest May patch build 3825889.

I got it working! I am so pleased  :) A huge thanks to Donk!

At first the virtual machine would not even boot up. Then I added the line - smc.version = "0" - to the .vmx file and it worked fine.

But there is a small problem (forgive the pun). The fonts are too small. My laptop's screen has a resolution of 3200x1800. In Windows 10, one can scale quite easily the fonts to 200%, 150% even 175%!

On my MacBook I can also scale the font sizes by going into System Preferences > Display and then under "Scaled" I can choose the sizes. However with VMWare Workstation all I see under "Scaled" is just the native resolution of 3200x1800. Even holding the Option ("Alt") shows the same  :worried_anim:

Any ideas how I can make the fonts to 200% and use the "retina" mode properly?

Thanks!

I searched the web and found the solution to enable "Retina" mode! Just one line in Terminal:-

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

Then reboot and then in System Preferences > Display I see 3200x1800 and also 1600x900 HiDPI. I found this solution here:-

• Like 3