Should've got a Mac 3.1 Need Yosemite help!

12 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a cheap Mac Pro 2.1 on Craigslist. I thought (wrong) that since this machine was originally a 1.1 with the 8 core upgrade and running Mavericks 10.9.4, that Yosemite wouldn't be a problem. I was wrong...anyone know how to get Yosemite to install on this machine? I'm about to go crazy!

it should if its currently on 10.9.4

That's what I thought. But I can't download through App Store (developer program) nor manual from app after downloading from developer.apple.com I think it has something to do with the EFI or something. 32 vs 64 bit. But I don't know for sure, how previous owner installed Mavericks......

That's what I thought. But I can't download through App Store (developer program) nor manual from app after downloading from developer.apple.com I think it has something to do with the EFI or something. 32 vs 64 bit. But I don't know for sure, how previous owner installed Mavericks......

Yosemite is probably 64 bit EFI and the former owner found a way to get around the original 32bit EFI setup that your machine normally would use.  What you would have to do is find out if they used a bootloader like Chameleon or Clover.  Most likely that bootloader worked with Mavericks and you need the newest version in order to work with Yosemite.  Do you have an Extra folder at the root level of the bootable hard disk?  If so, that means they used Chameleon.  The only way to see if they used Clover would be to mount the EFI partition on your startup drive and see if its there.  Or possibly a Clover install lo somewhere on the drive.  This thread is asking the same questions.  http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740775

• Like 1

I'm just going to wait and see if they update the EFI thing for Yosemite. Don't want to put Chameleon or Clover on the Mac Pro unless it's a last resort.

It will never happen Apple will not update the firmware they have had many years to do it for all the other hardware besides yours they have abandoned with that firmware issue. So your choice to get it done will only be Chameleon or Clover.

I'm just going to wait and see if they update the EFI thing for Yosemite. Don't want to put Chameleon or Clover on the Mac Pro unless it's a last resort.

What Im saying is that one of those 2 methods was probably already used.  Do you have an Extra folder right below your Applications folder on your startup drive?

Do you guys looked at "all" files linked to the post that I've sent the link above?

Specifically THIS?

The guy who created that method are using "workarounds" commonly used at Hackintoshes.

like modified boot.efi, PlatformSupport.plist, InstallableMachines.plist, OSInstall.mpkg, SMBIOSEFI.kext

and even VoodooHDA.kext...

Step by step Mavericks Installation Guide.

1: READ EVERYTHING TWICE
2: THINK TWICE
3: Ask for clarification

Remember that you need a Mavericks compatible GPU, else you will have slow (unusable) graphics until hackerwayne/MLforAll will release a fix.

ANY HARM OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY THIS GUIDE HAPPENED UNDER YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY!

Be sure to have root privileges (administrator password) as OS X will prompt you for this on some stage.

A: PREPARING THE INSTALLATION DRIVE

1a: Make a BACKUP of your system

2a: Get a copy of the Mavericks Installer (if you do not have it already use the "Mavericks download enabler")

1b: Get an empty USB-Stick (8GB or more)/use an external hard disk

2b: backup everything on the drive to another drive

3b: open Disk Utility and select your drive for installation

4b: select the partition tab -> advanced options -> GUID

5b: chose a drive name -> select HFS+ as the partition format -> partition the drive

1c: in Finder right-click the app and select show package contents
-> navigate to /Contents/Resources/SharedSupport and double-cick the dmg-file

2c: show hidden files in Finder (use included DisAppear.app)

3c: in Finder navigate to the Drive you've just mounted

4c: locate BaseSystem.dmg -> drop it to the lower Disk Utility side pane

5c: select your previously created install partition (not drive!) -> restore tab -> drop the image from the side pane to the source field

6c: restore

7c: in Finder locate the mounted InstallESD and copy the "Packages" folder

8c: past the folder to /System/Installation/ -> you will need to replace the file in there

1d: copy the content of my "Installation 10.9" folder to the install drive as advised by the folder names -> you will have to replace the files present (pay attention to the boot.efi file - use the downloaded one, not the place-holder)

2d: run the IORegistryExplorer.app -> make sure in the top left corner IOServices is selected 

3d: under root select your Mac(model) -> on the right at the top copy the board-id value

4d: open /System/Installation/Packages/InstallableMachines.plist -> search for the last entry and replace it

5d: open /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist
-> search for the last entry of board-ids and replace it
-> search for the last entry of Macs and insert yours as found in the IORegistryExplorer.app

B: INSTALL MAVERICKS ON YOUR MAC

WHEN YOU INSTALL TO A DIFFERENT INTERNAL/EXTERNAL DRIVE THEN YOUR ORIGINAL BOOT DRIVE JUST PROCEED, ELSE (INSTALLATION AS YOUR MAIN OS) BE SURE TO HAVE A BOOTABLE 10.6/10.7 DISK/USB AROUND. Installation as main system is possible without data-loose, but not recommended as you probably should test your system beforehand.

1a: reboot your Mac holding option (cmd) key

2a: select the USB drive (BaseSystem) and press enter

3a: when booted click install/continue until you reach the disk selection menu
-> select you main drive (probably Macintosh HD) if you are sure about it
-> else select another empty drive (at least 15GB for testing/bigger if it should be a secondary system)

4a: finish installation

## THE FOLLOWING (##) PROBABLY IS NOT NECESSARY - TRY WITHOUT. JUST LET THE INSTALLER REBOOT AUTOMATICALLY.
## If the Mac does not reboot to the Mavericks desktop boot to the install-drive again and perform the following.
##
## 5a: (quit the installer.app [cmd Q] and )select "Terminal" from the Utilities menu
##
## 6a: execute the command in brackets {sudo cp /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist "/Volumes/[Target Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist"}
##
## 7a: reboot
## __________________
##
## 1b: hold option (cmd) on boot and select the drive you've installed the system to
##
## 2b: boot

AUDIO FIX (in case it does not work)

1c: open the KextUtility.app by dropping the files inside my "System 10.9/System/..." folder to it

2c: reboot

IF YOU HAVE AUDIO NOW YOUR READY
ELSE

3c: open /System/Library/Extension and delete IOAudioFamily.kext & AppleHDA.kext

4c: rename the folders *****.kext.bak to *****.kext

5c: install the package "VoodooHDA-v2.8.4.pkg" by right-clicking it and selecting open

6c: reboot

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

_________
IORegistryExplorer.app by Apple (Xcode 3.X)
Kext Utility.app by cVad (http://cvad-mac.narod.ru/index/0-4)
DisAppear.app by me

This is possible due to Tiamo's great work! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18423059&postcount=34
)

post-628175-0-68563100-1409447211_thumb.png

The thing is, it will work for Yosemite?

I have the same machine running mavericks as you do, I suggest you wait it out for the official release and keep weather eye on that thread, the same method used to get mavericks working will probably be updated for this machine.

• Like 1