• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Hi there. Installed Mavericks 10.9.3 on my HP Z400 Xeon W3680 Hexa-Core, stable and fast :) The machine is triple boot capable Mac OS X - Linux - Win7Pro on separate SSD drives. The Cpu is a Xeon W3680@3,33Ghz and turbo boost multiplier is unlocked, in fact when running Windows I can easily turbo boost all 6 cores to 4Ghz (multiplier(s) = x30) without issues using Intel XTU utility, scoring over 17000 with Geekbench 2  64bit mode. Can someone help me to enable, if possible, such a turbo boost frequency in OS X Mavericks as well? I've googled a lot about this topic but I'm still looking for an answer.

Thank you for reading this post and if someone needs help to install Mavericks on HP Z400 I'm here to help.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

You would need to create a SSDT for that. Look it up on this forum and on the Net, you'll find all the necessary tutorials.

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thank you for your quick replay, do you think MaciASL can help me to create an appropriate SSDT?

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

That'll allow you to compile your DSDT source code; you could also use Chameleon Wizard's built-in dsl compiler...

Use RampageDev's SSDT creation guide, it's very simple: http://rampagedev.wo...-your-own-ssdt/

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Ok, I did all the steps from your link and terminal created the file in /temp, opened it with MaciASL but when I clicked on compile I got 4 errors  Code 4096 syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_INTEGER, expecting ')'  How can be fixed?

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Post the .dsl file.

Did you try the Chameleon Wizard compiler?

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Here you can see both current and original method dsl files.

Thank you very much for your kindness and your support.

Attached Files

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

It appears errors were shown for those 4 lines where the code includes:

• "CPU10"
  • "CPU11"

So, I changed this to hex and replaced the code by CPUA and CPUB respectively. The resulting code compiled without errors!

Try the attached. I can't guarantee it'll work though.

Attached File  SSDT.aml.zip   588bytes   12 downloads

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Again a big thank you, i'm going to give it a try. In my Extra Folder the org.Chameleon.boot.plist looks like attachment, do you see any change(s) I have to make once your edited SSDT file will be placed in Extra folder?

Attached Files

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

You need to enable P & C States and possibly select DropSSDT too (though I've seen contradictory evidence on that one). Use Chameleon Wizard v4.3.2 or later for that.

Basically, you have this right now:

Attached File  Current_boot_plist.jpg   78.44KB   6 downloads

And you would want to have that from now on:

Attached File  Adjusted_boot_plist.jpg   79.2KB   3 downloads

You may need to change your FakeSMC for one of Kozlek's recent versions that would be tuned for your system. The idea is to try and select a real Mac that closely resembles your system and modify the FakeSMC with SMC keys and smc-compatible parameters of the targeted real Mac. This must be accompanied by a SMBIOS.plist for that same Mac profile too. You can then use HWMonitor application to monitor CPU speed and T°.

How did you do your Mavericks installation? Are you running on vanilla CPU power management?

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I'm going to try your suggestion.... I installed Mavericks using Chimera 2.2 (##### 6.3) and CPU Power Management is the original AppleICPM, no need for NullCpuPowerManagement because the machine works fine. SMBIOS is Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2010 Mac Pro Hexa-Core had the same CPU Intel Xeon W3680), memory is DDR3 1333 ECC 6x2Gb because my MB has 6 slots. BTW I put your SSDT.aml in my Extra folder and the system loads it and allows 2 speed steps: 2,13 and 3,33Ghz but doesn't enable turbo boost.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

You probably need the FakeSMC from Kozlek then. Which one do you have right now?

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I have FakeSmc v.  6.0.1123

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Can you please post it? I don't see it on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.n.../?source=navbar

MacPro5,1 has:

• smc-compatible=smc-thurley
  • SMC keys REV/RVBF/RVUF=1.39f11

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I didn't know about that site, it seems there is a lot of stuff. 

My FakeSMC is this:

Attached Files

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Try the attached modified FakeSMC kext:

Attached File  Modified_FakeSMC.kext.zip   168.96KB   8 downloads

It's your v6.0.1123, modified with above parameters.

On "regular" "i" Core CPUs (i.e. those not having unlocked multiplier), this type of FakeSMC, combined with correct SMBIOS plist + created SSDT do permit to obtain good CPU speed stepping + Turbo boost to max frequency. In the case of your Xeon W3680, Intel's documentation states a Turbo boost to 3.6GHz for a nominal max frequency of 3.33GHz.

http://ark.intel.com...0-GTs-Intel-QPI

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Tried. It doesn't boot, stuck at Apple logo with never-ending spinning cursor and didn't boot with -x boot flag too. I had to boot from an external HD to restore old FakeSMC kext. Am I missing something?....

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Don't know, you have an installation we don't support here. See with them at their web site maybe. I gave you my best shot here. All I can say is make sure you've installed the modded kext properly (right place + right permissions) and that you either rebuild your cache or boot without it through -f flag.

PPCnostalgic

PPCnostalgic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thank you so much for all your effort, I've learnt a lot from your advices. I'll keep you up-to-date about this topic.

Hervé

Hervé

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

You may also find some interesting info here and here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy