The OSx86 Community - Past, Present and Future

mnfesq

37 posts in this topic

But I wonder how long that will keep those challenge-seekers like myself occupied and/or satisfied.  Carry on.

You are bored? OK, what about solving my current problems then ;)

- sound dies after sleep

- Eject button with my BluRay drive only works partially (with a workaround)

- USB3 loosing context when sleeping / waking (again only with partial workaround)

And and please explain the following strange messages in my log:

- No interval found for . Using 8000000

- Attempted to get Elements on an element with xxxx children

- ACPI RAMB failure

(Think this will also be of interest for others, and if that is not enough I have even more for you)

That should keep you busy for a while? ;) Ah, and yes I think this is a real challenge ... just try to explain even ONE of my log messages, and extra points for telling me how to get rid of them ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You are bored? OK, what about solving my current problems then ;)

- sound dies after sleep

- Eject button with my BluRay drive only works partially (with a workaround)

- USB3 loosing context when sleeping / waking (again only with partial workaround)

And and please explain the following strange messages in my log:

- No interval found for . Using 8000000

- Attempted to get Elements on an element with xxxx children

- ACPI RAMB failure

(Think this will also be of interest for others, and if that is not enough I have even more for you)

That should keep you busy for a while? ;) Ah, and yes I think this is a real challenge ... just try to explain even ONE of my log messages, and extra points for telling me how to get rid of them ;)

Doing your job is supposed to make me less bored?  Really.  I'm working on two laptops for friends of mine.  I'm always glad to help out friends that I choose to help.  

• Like 1

Apple is Apple but not complete, someone has bite on it ... ;). Not stupid but crazy some how.There are watching us ..they know "what we are doing". i think we will be busted if we came up with something like ( Optimus support in laptops ,SLI/CrossFire support,Full bios support like  OZ or any other  innovation ).

2nd there are no such a thing called black and white in business.Business is Business. Apple has a long list of Appleboy( we call it fanboy).Who likes to buy anything Apple release ,even if its a keychain B).Innovation needs users not fanboy and how to get user? by attract them to use it .... this where we fit in..

Don`t take me wrong.. Piracy is the driving force of any modern tech. Take a look at windows .. Even Mr. Gates admits it. Someone asked him...

*What is your take on piracy in china,india and other asian countries?

Ans: Aaaa!, We tried to educated them about it and let them use it as it is.If they use to it(within some years) .. then we can come up with something to regulate it.Aaaaa! 

Who know maybe Apple is waiting for few  Billion user in the world. And come up with  "OSX is now support in PC and Tabs" as the way you like it  :P or 

sell all kinds of Pc hardware supported by Apple  in Apps store as the way you like it  :P .

I may use innovation but Apple is not a innovative company ..its a recipe company ....but i love :wub: sx  :yes:

I don't think that Apple cares and may do something about it. We have been here for almost 9 years. We have explained in other topics the (many) reasons why Apple will probably leave us alone.

There is no "new generation of OS X users who sometimes seem to take for granted that OS X can run on a PC", this kind of discussion has been going on for years.

And let's not forget that we all started with a distro.

Same in my case, and yet I gained experience with how to mess things around and come up with a working Hack, and by extension, getting to know which goes where, how OS X handles things, etc.

Ah. I love reading about past/present/future topics, and this caught my eye as I was browsing the Community Index. I noticed this particular post:

Just imagine a young schoolboy (or schoolgirl) who simply has not the money, (but the time) and is still interested in OS X / Macs. Maybe he or she wants to learn how to develop for iOS, and so he simply has no other choice than using OS X. For such people building a hack - and often using an already exisitng setup -  can be a viable alternative imho, and even if only for the price. BUT, of course even if that is your main reason you should be well aware that you pay anyway - in this case especially with your own time - and that this kind of motivation should of course not free someone from thinking for himself!

As a matter of fact, I am a 'young' school-going teenager (I'm 17) with an interest in developing OS X and iOS applications. I started hackintoshing roughly three years ago, when my 2007 white MacBook blew its processor. My elder sister got herself a then-brand-new Sandy Bridge notebook, and I was jealous - why didn't I get one? I decided to make sure I got to use it as well, and I began with Snow Leopard, only to discover that its kernel didn't fully support the CPU. And so I waited for Lion, and got it successfully installed. I was pleasantly surprised to note that it natively supported the Intel HD 3000 iGPU.

Over the years, I've successfully developed a couple of legitimate, workable applications for iOS solely on my notebook (they're not on the App Store, as I don't have enough $ to pay SG$128 every year). I've gotten scolded several times by my sister for installing and running OS X on her laptop without her permission, and for using it at all. In retrospect, it was completely worth it as I learnt a lot; a lot more than I did by using a real Mac.

To be really honest, I started out at the tonymacx86 forums - I did a Google search of 'install Mac OS X on PC' and their i_Boot guide was the first hit. Here was a well-written guide; and I though, well, why not? I jumped into the world of OSx86, and haven't left it since. They aren't a particularly bad place - it's just that they like to ban people for the slightest infringement of their rules ithout giving a second chance. Furthermore, RehabMan is very active in their laptop forums, and he is a wealth of information, once you manage to wade through all the noob posts (I made several such posts in my early months of hackintoshing). As some good news, the first person to get a 3200x1800 15" screen working with full QE/CI and at a nice, 1600x900 scaled resolution was from there; his/her user name is the-darkvoid.

As my signature shows, I've now gotten a brand-new Haswell laptop (which is, thankfully, my own now); and let me be honest: as mnfesq put it, hackintoshing has gotten much easier in just three years. The development of Clover is really great news, and I look forward to it gaining legitimacy and its documentation easier to read. There are far too many options and it feels really cluttered. But give it enough time, and I'm sure it will become as elegant as Chameleon is now.

I have to thank all the developers who work on the really low-level code with not much documentation (sometimes none at all); you have had to figure out many things without possibly knowing what you need to figure out. I can't feel what you feel as I mostly work with a well-documented language and API, Cocoa. Kudos to you guys, and let's keep the momentum going.

If Apple ever makes the move to ARM processors (not likely, IMHO), we can find a way to hack that as well, and I'm sure we will.

Meanwhile, I haven't got a solid reply to this, but upon boot, my Haswell notebook gives me a glitchy screen, sometimes its completely white with vertical coloured lines. I've been told this is a framebuffer issue. I want to solve this challenge, but I don't know what to edit. 

• Like 1

Don`t take me wrong.. Piracy is the driving force of any modern tech. Take a look at windows .. Even Mr. Gates admits it. Someone asked him...

*What is your take on piracy in china,india and other asian countries?

Ans: Aaaa!, We tried to educated them about it and let them use it as it is.If they use to it(within some years) .. then we can come up with something to regulate it.Aaaaa! 

Besides that he once admitted to have browsed and watched pirated TV shows on YouTube, perhaps prior to the Viacom fiasco back in the mid to late 2000s.

Well, while I agree with all you have said, I think it is also a valid motivation to build something on your own which is just "cheaper" than the real thing. And you can achieve that relatively easily, esp if you want a good desktop machine and are not willing to shell out 6-8k+ for the new Mac Pro. I know that bc a nMP with my desired setup would have cost me about 2-3k more than my current hack (but that was not my main motivation, but I think it is OK if it is).

Just imagine a young schoolboy (or schoolgirl) who simply has not the money, (but the time) and is still interested in OS X / Macs. Maybe he or she wants to learn how to develop for iOS, and so he simply has no other choice than using OS X. For such people building a hack - and often using an already exisitng setup -  can be a viable alternative imho, and even if only for the price. BUT, of course even if that is your main reason you should be well aware that you pay anyway - in this case especially with your own time - and that this kind of motivation should of course not free someone from thinking for himself!

That said, my wish for the future would be that Newbies at least try to educate themselves first before asking stupid questions (not easy, fell in this trap for myself!) and that the "Elitists" would care a bit more about people being simply lost, and work together for the best possible solutions instead of stepping on each others toes (sometimes).

Again, only my personal opinion ;)

Agreed. The kiddies you mentioned sorta reminds me of those, not that I'm being racist or anything, South Asian teens on GTAForums who would post modpack submissions consisting of stuff stolen from other authors with little to no effort whatsoever, and had the balls to beg the higher-ups for them to do the modelling/texture/whatever work for them. I kept on telling the mods to make the submission guidelines a bit stricter, partly so they would gain some experience and for them to at least have a grasp of what they're trying to do.

I would be more than welcome to teach them about rigging peds in GTA, or in the case of our community, get their hacks to boot and run, but they better not be so gung-ho either and rely on distros and stuff like Tony's Beast thingys without knowing what a kext is, or how things work on OS X.

• 3 months later...

The term "compatible hardware" should be in quotes.  It's gotten to the point that even incompatible hardware can be made compatible through DSDT edits.  We have come such a long way in that regard.  Kudos to the developers, and my utmost appreciation.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The term "compatible hardware" should be in quotes.  It's gotten to the point that even incompatible hardware can be made compatible through DSDT edits.  We have come such a long way in that regard.  Kudos to the developers, and my utmost appreciation.

And kext edits :)

happy hacking

OSBeast

• Like 1

That's a bit of an overstatement. Hardware needs drivers in order to work. If there is no driver, no amount of DSDT editing will help you.

True story for example you have to patch AppleHDA + DSDT to have sound on some boards.

Happy hacking

OSBeast