Dual boot Mac OS with my Windows - how?

daghene

10 posts in this topic

Hi there guys!

I'm new to the forum but not the Windows/Mac world.
Long story short: I owned a real Mac while I was studying, I hate paying that price for the logo but I need the system for design purposes.

Virtualization is not an option cause I'll need to use Photoshop.

The fact is so far I've only ran iAtkos releases on VirtualBox to test the various problems I could encounter.
Now I really need to dual boot a distro of Mac OS side-by-side of my Windows computer.

I don't have a dedicated hard disk(need to partition) and I don't care much about which version I use.
Of course I'd love to have the last thing but I've seen Mavericks is still being worked out and also that to dual boot I probably need specific modded distros because Mac OS usually needs a full empty hard disk(am I wrong?).

So, considering I've searched a while but haven't found anything that suits me, what's the best way/guide/distro to install Mac OS along Windows dual booting it when I need to?

P.s. I'm attaching the specs of my computer, note that the GPU to be specific is a ATI RADEON HD 4870

UPDATE! For some reason the image didn't upload earlier :)

adk5.png

post-1298472-0-57669900-1391705243_thumb.png

It's better (more manageable, more compatible) to keep them on separate drives. Buy a second hard drive. You can run Apple's Disk Utility from your install media before installing, format the whole drive as GPT/HFS+ (journaled, not case sensitive) and proceed with the install. You don't need to mod anything or use a distro to do this.

Make sure the drive is set as available boot device in your BIOS. Then when you want to run OS X use the BIOS boot selector (usually F8) to select the OS X drive. If you want to run Windows, do nothing :)

Once you're done with the installation and things are working, if you need to share files between the two OS you can run Disk Utility and add an exFAT partition. This will be read/writeable from both OS X and Windows. This is something you would not be able to do if you were to run Windows and OS X from the same drive. Disk Utility cannot work with NTFS partitions and you cannot resize partitions on a Hybrid (MBR+GUID) drive.

If you really want to run OS X and Windows from the same drive, head on over to the Multibooting and virtualization forum and look for a guide on how to do that.

Well, it's not necessary to dual boot on the same hard drive and considering my dad owns a pc shop I can get my hands on some old hard disks for free or get recent ones for cheap.

That being said, what would the best distro to use? Should I use something like iAtkos, the official Mavericks dmg(I have a friend with a Macbook) or something else? Also, is my pc compatible or I shouldn't even try?

I red something about ATI 48XX serie having problems running Mac OS but I don't know if they fixed that or there's kexts to make it work.

I don't know anything about ATI cards or distros, sorry.

There is no official Mavericks dmg, the Mavericks App Store Download is an app, not a disk image.

Try the standard method of building an installer partition on the HDD (you'll see the basic steps are the same in all guides), if you can borrow a USB to SATA adapter from your dad's store, then you can connect your hard drive to your friend's Mac Book and prepare everything from there. Just pay attention and be careful that you don't install anything, especially the boot loader, to the Macbook's internal drive by mistake.

I don't know if your PC is compatible, guess why...

Mmmm maybe someone with a similar videocard can give me more infos about this.

As I said I can borrow an old hard disk he's not selling anymore to try it without loosing money, I'm just curious if I'll be actually able to do it or I shouldn't even try. For the other Mac tip I may try that or I'll just use iAtkos to be sure I have the kexts and stuff.

P.s. I'm attaching the specs of my computer, note that the GPU to be specific is a ATI RADEON HD 4870

As Gringo was aluding to, please put details of your hardware (&software) in your signature - it makes it easier for others to help you.  You still have not provided any details of CPU/Motherboard/Ram/Hard Drive etc.

I was recently helping another user who also wanted to multiboot.  His machine had a mobility ATI 4670 and he reported it worked nicely with Clover and my provided config.plist - see the post here.  If you maintain a pure GUID hard disk (with protective mbr instead of hybrid mbr), you can keep>4 partitions and dual boot OSX & UEFI Windows through Clover EFI (even on old BIOS/non UEFI machines like mine :) ).

I also recommend a "vanilla install" rather than a distro or using a premade installer.  The exact procedure depends on your choice of bootloader:

If using Clover (and you have an old BIOS based motherboard), use BatcOuntrY's guide to install OSX

then ctugt's triple booting guide with Clover for tips with UEFI windows

If using Chameleon, The All-In-One Guide to Vanilla OSX guide and the Official Dual Booting Thread.

Maybe more challenging initially but you will gain more understanding of what you are doing and will pay off in the long run.....

EDIT

Looking at those specs, you should be able to install OSX on your system.....Google "ati p5q osx" and you get results like this and this guide.

If you use a properly patched dsdt eg look at FKA's thread, then you won't require NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and power management, sleep, shutdown should work.

The trickiest part maybe configuring your ATI 4870 (should work if you know what you're doing)....google is your friend... QE_CI Exotic patch :)

Thank you for the infos! Ops, I just noticed the image I provided didn't upload!

When I red Gringo's post saying "I can't help, guess why" I thought I was stupid for not understanding...english isn't my main language ;)

The specs are here, I'm also updating the main post!

adk5.png

EDIT - now that I updated the main post I see the attached thumbnail, weird...well I thing here's everything you need right?

ATI 4870 GFX Card is supported in Mavericks. Just change the AMD4800Controller.kext to include your GFX card’s vendor id and device id.

Since you are just starting on hackintosh, use your friend’s mac to download OSX Mavericks from the App Store. Download myHack and create the USB Installer.

If you are using separate hard disks for OS X and Windows, u just have to select the right hard disk at boot time to start OSX or windows.