60Hz 4K on Mavericks with GTX 760? [UPDATE: 10.9.3 works [UPDATED UPDATE: maybe]]

4K UltraHD Retina NVIDIA GTX 760 60Hz 60 FPS

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

xHimik

xHimik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yes, see my earlier post. Beta 4 was worse than 3 for me. Haven't tried since. More details are in my posts at Netkas.

Thanks for the reply, do I get the serial from "About this Mac" window?

boli

boli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Thanks for the reply, do I get the serial from "About this Mac" window?

What do you need a serial for?

BTW I updated my previous post with a link, now that I'm on a computer again. ;)

juliantoledo

juliantoledo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

The problem I face (I have a second 1080p screen working) is that the Dell UP2414Q does not show Refresh Rate anymore in 10.9.3 (13d45a), my guess is that is at 30.3Hz but I cannot change it (even with other sw).

I am back at 10.9.2 and it is working at 30Hz.

MTWomg

MTWomg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Still broken on final build.

onmybikedrunk

onmybikedrunk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 28 posts

Seems like one of the few working at 60Hz for a Hack is the Samsung UD whatever... It doesn't use MST.  Looks like my Dell U2414 is going on eBay!  I tried everything to get it to work at 60Hz under the Web Drivers... NADA.  Oh well.  Maybe NewEgg will still take it back.   This is with Rampage Dev's 10.9.3 patched Web Drivers on a Titan Black btw.  Maybe Nvidia will throw us a bone... 

juliantoledo

juliantoledo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Anyone had any luck? It does sound like nvidia was not the right choice?

I'm going to try the final build tomorrow.

Thanks!

boli

boli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

I'm happy. In the 10.9.3 betas often only one of my two displays would work, in the final both my main display (ASUS PQ321Q, with MST enabled) as well as the secondary display (Dell 24" 1200x1920 in portrait mode) work fine. That's with a GTX 780.

I might try the Dell UP2414Q again later. It's officially supported after all.

onmybikedrunk

onmybikedrunk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 28 posts

Boli, please post your experience.  I have had no luck with the UP2414Q.  If anyone has any luck, please post up.  

boli

boli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

I tried the UP2414Q this morning before going to work. It was recognized by the OS and visible in the display preferences pane as well as the menu of DisplayMenu (both of which I could check on my secondary display). However, the main display itself stayed black.

I suspect it was being run at 30.3 Hz, as this was its default in most of the betas. I also assume that its content would probably have shown up just fine when connecting with Remote Desktop or Screen Sharing, but I did not have time to try that.

Also I think the NVidia driver was active, but I'm not 100% certain, and haven't  tried the other driver to see if it makes a difference.

Ricky Romero

Ricky Romero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

I'm also having problems once more with 10.9.3 final and the UP2414Q.  My U2711 works fine over DVI, but I can't get a signal to appear on the UP2414Q.

My experience mirror's boli's: I can see that the display is connected in the Displays Preferences, and I can pick other resolutions (at my peril), but I can't adjust the refresh rate, nor can I see what refresh rate it's trying to send to the display.  It's acting like a built-in display from a MacBook Pro or iMac in that respect; they don't expose refresh rate options either.

I just had an idea as I was typing this post, which I'm going to try this weekend.  I need to see if DisplayPort itself is the problem, by connecting my U2711 via DP.  I'm also going to see if there are hacks to expose refresh rate options on built-in displays on a legit Mac, to see if that same kind of hack works on this machine.

dotmike

dotmike

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I can see that the display is connected in the Displays Preferences, and I can pick other resolutions (at my peril), but I can't adjust the refresh rate, nor can I see what refresh rate it's trying to send to the display.  It's acting like a built-in display from a MacBook Pro or iMac in that respect; they don't expose refresh rate options either.

(Frustrated) Hackintosh + GTX 780 + Dell UP2414Q here.

I don't know if this will get you any further along, but there is a way to adjust refresh rates:

If you OPTION-CLICK the Scaled radio button (such wonderful adherence to interface guidelines), the pref panel will start showing additional choices.

kSLcxrH.jpg

If you then select the "Show low resolution modes" checkbox, you should get a "Refresh Rate" popup.

(It may start out grayed and disabled, but if you click another mode, such as 3840x2160, then click back to the hidpi 1920x1080 mode, the popup should enable.)

This would also be a way of using another monitor (via the Displays preference's Gather Windows) to get a UP2414Q that had started up black (30.3 Hz) onto its valid rate.

Now to get a 60 Hertz option into this popup... 

maroder

maroder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I'm really looking forward to upgrade my old 24" screen with lovely retina beauty on my hack, but this 30Hz issue is making me to nervous to buy one right now. 

Has anyone got the Samsung U28D590D or the ASUS PB287Q and first hand experience with this two monitors? I read somewhere the Samsung should run @60Hz, as it's not using Multi-Stream Transport to drive the display, but what about Asus? I would prefer the Asus because of its VESA mounting option.

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 2,031 posts

I have the Samsung and works perfectly. 

The Asus model is a money grab and over priced. 

Ricky Romero

Ricky Romero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

If you OPTION-CLICK the Scaled radio button (such wonderful adherence to interface guidelines), the pref panel will start showing additional choices.

[snip]

If you then select the "Show low resolution modes" checkbox, you should get a "Refresh Rate" popup.

Sadly, doesn't work for me in 10.9.3.

I tried messing with EDIDs but I'm inept with SwitchResX.  However, it did show me that the machine is detecting the refresh rate for 59.997 Hz.  Changing it to 60 Hz predictably borked the video on both displays.

Right now I'm going to reboot and try different combinations of cables.  Not optimistic at this point!

Ricky Romero

Ricky Romero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

After much rebooting and experimentation, here is what I've figured out using a clean 10.9.3 install.

• DisplayPort in and of itself isn't the problem. I can turn off DP 1.2 and get a signal on the UP2414Q, and I can also use DisplayPort with my U2711 (I normally use DVI).
  • When DP 1.2 is off, I can use both monitors side-by-side in 10.9.3 (with the UP2414Q running at 30Hz). This is probably what I'll end up doing for the time being.
  • Refresh rate options are not presented for the UP2414Q in 10.9.3 and DP 1.2, and the only available option when using DP 1.1a is 30Hz, even under lower resolutions.  The latter is presumably because all the resolutions listed in the Display Preferences are virtual and the actual signal going to the monitor is always native resolution.
  • Display Maestro can set higher refresh rates under DP 1.1a as it's not dealing with virtual resolutions, but no refresh rate options are presented under DP 1.2.
  • Swapping a full-size DisplayPort cable to a mini DisplayPort cable doesn't help.
  • Changing the SMBIOS to MacBookPro11,2 (2013 Retina MBP) doesn't help.
  • Leaving my SMBIOS on MacPro6,1 (2013 Mac Pro) doesn't help.

This brings me to the conclusion that something in either the DisplayPort 1.2 communication or the MST support is broken with my specific system.  Perhaps the EDID is not being sent correctly over DP 1.2.  Maybe other 4K monitors work, though I wouldn't use a different one unless it had a similar pixel density.

I'll give this another go when the next OS X release hits.

juliantoledo

juliantoledo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

@Ricky Romero, thank you for your info!

I am now running the final 10.9.3+UP2414Q with DP1.2=off and I can get 30Hz and multiple resolutions!

I wonder if the UP2414Q will ever work at 60Hz (does it on a real MacPro6,1?), looking forward to try with the Yosemite beta.

Cheers!

onmybikedrunk

onmybikedrunk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 28 posts

@Ricky Romero, thank you for your info!

I am now running the final 10.9.3+UP2414Q with DP1.2=off and I can get 30Hz and multiple resolutions!

I wonder if the UP2414Q will ever work at 60Hz (does it on a real MacPro6,1?), looking forward to try with the Yosemite beta.

Cheers!

Yes, before I returned my legit 2013 Mac Pro, I was running 10.9.3 with full 60Hz and a Dell UP2414Q.  Support for the Dell was part of the excitement around 10.9.3.  I emailed Nvidia about this and they gave me the run around because I am using the Web Drivers for a Titan Black which isn't on their supported cards list.  It's def driver related tho.

Currently, the Dell can run at 60Hz on Hackintosh with AMD cards (Tahiti XT etc... R9 280X, HD 7970 etc..) and a 6,1 SMBios.  No Nvidia cards can currently run the UP2414Q at 60Hz. 

boli

boli

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

FYI, an ASUS PB287Q works on my Hackintosh with GTX 780 at 60 Hz, I just got it this morning. Apparently it doesn't need the MST shenanigans to get 60 Hz support.

Here's the relevant output from System Info:

ASUS PB287Q:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Television: Yes

Its larger 31.5" sibling as well as the 24" Dell I will take to work to use with a 2013 Mac Pro.

Edit for clarity: The display is run at 2560x1440 HiDPI (which unfortunately does not show in System Info).

juliantoledo

juliantoledo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Yes, before I returned my legit 2013 Mac Pro, I was running 10.9.3 with full 60Hz and a Dell UP2414Q.  Support for the Dell was part of the excitement around 10.9.3.  I emailed Nvidia about this and they gave me the run around because I am using the Web Drivers for a Titan Black which isn't on their supported cards list.  It's def driver related tho.

Currently, the Dell can run at 60Hz on Hackintosh with AMD cards (Tahiti XT etc... R9 280X, HD 7970 etc..) and a 6,1 SMBios.  No Nvidia cards can currently run the UP2414Q at 60Hz. 

I may get the 280X and sell my GTX760 then! Thanks!

maroder

maroder

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

FYI, an ASUS PB287Q works on my Hackintosh with GTX 780 at 60 Hz, I just got it this morning. Apparently it doesn't need the MST shenanigans to get 60 Hz support.

Here's the relevant output from System Info:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz

Its larger 31.5" sibling as well as the 24" Dell I will take to work to use with a 2013 Mac Pro.

Are you scaling? Shouldn't the native resolution be 3,840 x 2,160 @ 60 Hz with Retina resolution at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 4K, UltraHD, Retina, NVIDIA, GTX 760, 60Hz, 60 FPS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy