Mac OS X Mavericks with Clover SUCCESS!

aoijsnlkd

6 posts in this topic

I have successfully setup a hackintosh using Clover Bootloader (r2298) and would like to share my experience and hope that this help others.

This is a "vanilla installation (excluding the audio driver)" and theoretically software updates will not break the machine (will test and report about this once 10.9.1 is out).

This is my computer specification:

Intel Core i7 3770

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H

Kingston 4GB RAM 1333 GHz x2

ASUS DirectCUII GTX 660

WD Caviar Green 1TB

SanDisk Extreme 120GB

Note:

1. I did not use the Intel HD 4000 iGPU

2. I used the onboard audio Via VT2021

3. GTX 660 (Nvidia Kepler GK106) works "out-of-the-box"

4. This post doesn't only work for my motherboard but also many others provided you are willing to invest your time to experiment your hardware.

Requirement:

A working Mac OS X environment (Real Mac or hackintosh) at least 10.6.8(?)

A pendrive at least 8GB

Disks are formatted to GPT partition (EFI boot requirement), traditional BIOS which only supports MBR needs additional workaround.

1. Download Mavericks from AppStore

The Mavericks is a free upgrade for Snow Leopard and later.

2. Partition the pen drive with GPT partition style and format the EFI partition as FAT32

Note: The main partition to install Mavericks Installer is formatted as HFS+ Extended

The EFI partition is hidden and therefore needs to be formatted through Terminal

This post gives the guild lines to format the EFI partition as FAT32 (Step 1 and 2):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/287737-how-toclover-on-efi-partitionadd-to-bios/?p=1904863

Note: Use Terminal with care, better be safe than sorry. Remember to use the correct disk (the pen drive in this case).

3. Install Clover and Mavericks installer

After formatting the EFI partition, unmount the partition (or else the Clover Installer will give an error).

I have used the compiled version of Clover through SourceForge instead of CloverGrower because I have some compiling problem, 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

Run the Installer Package, after clicking a few "Continue", choose "Change Install Location",

select the Mavericks Installer Partition, click "Continue",

then click "Customize",

I have chosen the followings:

Install for UEFI motherboards (a lot of selections will be greyed out)

Themes: AppleStyle

Drivers64UEFI: CsmVideoDxe-64 OsxAptioFixDrv-64

Note: I have CsmVideoDxe-64 because I enabled CSM in BIOS.

Detailed descriptions are here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/?p=1852956

Finally, click "Install"

I used this guide to install Mavericks Installer to the pendrive 

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18081307&postcount=3

Note: Remember to change the "Untitled" to the name of your partition and remember to use "\" to skip spaces.

4. Modify Clover

I have deleted the X32.efi (forgot the exact name) in the /EFI/CLOVER folder as that seems to conflict with my startup (perhaps I am wrong?)

Using Clover Configurator:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/49-clover-configuratorconverter/

and reading this article:

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration

I have come out with my config.plist (attached to this post, for reference only)

These are roughly what I have done:

did not drop OEM SSDT

dropped DMAR and MCFG

set BusSpeedkHz to 100000 (instead of 99790 in that article as this setting caused some weird problem with my sound and Minecraft server timing)

used iMac 13,2 (because I found that the highest end iMac 13,2 has similar performance as my spec :thumbsup_anim:, purely decorative for this setting)

boot arguments: -v slide=0 npci=0x2000

patched ApleTyMCEDriver and IOAHCIBlockStorage (Note: Do not copy the patch data into Clover Configurator(they will convert it to another format), copy them directly using TextEdit.

* Remember to check the Theme in the GUI section  :P

Copy the FakeSMC.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/

5. Booting the pendrive

Boot the pendrive in UEFI mode (something like UEFI: USB Device)

When the Clover screen is shown, select the Mavericks Installer and press spacebar then "boot with injected kexts"

Format a partition to install the Mavericks, then install (This will take quite a long time).

After it reboots, repeat the same step above, Mavericks will now be installed into the computer

Lastly, repeate the same step above after it reboots, and you should come to the "Set Up Your Mac"

6. Post Installation

I have created my own DSDT (attached, ALSO, FOR REFERENCE ONLY) and installed a kext for my Via VT2021 (not working if I injects it, ruined my vanilla build :hammer:

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3577-applehda-for-vt2021-mavericks-only/

I recommend MaciASL and the toledo patch when creating the DSDT

(DSDT (and SSDT) are placed at /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched)

Install the Clover Bootloader to your internal disk (so that you do not need to use a pendrive just to boot the Mac)

repeat the steps just now to setup and configure Clover Bootloader

(you may remove -v boot flag and select "Always Inject kext" using Clover Configurator after everything goes fine)

Remember to put the FakeSMC.kext into the /kexts/10.9/ folder

For my case, I also copied Shailua's Atheros kext (ALXEthernet.kext) and Zenith432's USB3.0 kext (GenericUSBXHCI.kext) to the kext folder

7. Problems Not Solved (Thankfully minor one) and Things that I am Not Sure (Highlighted in blue)

i) Copying patched AppleHDA.kext into the Inject kext folder doesn't work for me, replacing it in the SLE folder works instead.

(Anyone please teach me how to patch the kext using config.plist or a way to make it inject successfully?)

ii) Turbo Boost not working but works after the computer goes into sleep, weird.  :mad:

iii) Is FakeSMC.kext a necessity? Or have I done something wrong (during installation, Safe Mode crashes and will not boot) and needed it to cover up what I have done wrong?

iv) 100000kHz or 99790kHz? (Seems to be trial and error, any experts to help about this?)

This is my first post in forum, sorry if this post is too long.

Finally, great thanks to the hackintosh community (especially those working for the software) to let hackintosh come true.

On the other hand, I have done this hackintosh jigsaw puzzle and hope that my experience helps someone else.  :chef:

Attached.zip

• Like 2

ii) Happy to know that I am doing things right.

iv) I don't know how to use SoundFlower to check my audio  :wacko:

my problem with the audio by that time is the audio can play for a short period of time

but after a few minutes some background noises starts to accumulate (snowball lol) and those audio finally become some electrical noises,

this problem seems to have "cool down", if i shut the audio source (videos, music etc.) for some time, the problem will be gone (for a while).

Thanks for your reply.

• 1 month later...

i prepared my usb using clover
i did the configuration and everything
but when i boot and i enter the clover boot menu,
i press space bar but i do not see "boot mac os x with injected kexts"
 but there is "boot mac os x without injected kexts"

when i select any option in the list it just takes me back to the boot menu.

please any idea what to do?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...