Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition

TheNavigator

127 posts in this topic

I'm not so good with these. Can you tell me exactly which ones should I use?

(And nope I didn't get the chance to finish downloading Niresh yet. My internet speed is 512 Kbps and the thing is around 5 and a half GBs ._. )

I suggest that you wait a few days and try Niresh. It saves a lot of time...        If you want to build a whole customized system, just figure out how Niresh works and make your own one.

I will find some time to upload the kexts that you may want. Actually, Niresh has done most of the things.

It finished installing, I have no idea how the heck can a Hackintosh installation be that smooth.

I'm going to use your Extra package right now and then I'll search what's missing and how to get it working.

Posting through there! IT WORKS PERFECTLY! Sound works, graphics works (I'm not sure if acceleration is enabled, though), and ethernet works. I'm currently installing kexts for my USB wifi dongle.

The only thing that's not working is the touchpad. Any idea how can I get that to work?

Works as perfect as it can get. I installed drivers for my Wifi dongle and now it works perfectly. The only things that don't work are the touchpad and sleeping, and I don't even care about getting them fixed, but I wouldn't say no if someone knows how to.

By the way, is it safe to upgrade to 10.9.3?

Works as perfect as it can get. I installed drivers for my Wifi dongle and now it works perfectly. The only things that don't work are the touchpad and sleeping, and I don't even care about getting them fixed, but I wouldn't say no if someone knows how to.

By the way, is it safe to upgrade to 10.9.3?

I have not tried it. Before update remember to backup your own configs like smbios.plist, etc.

I know 10.9.2 is OK, 10.9.3 should be as well. As long as you back up your hackintosh kexts you shouldn't have an issue.

For touchpad you will need the PS/2 driver. I can't wait for the day when laptops will actually use USB...anyway, there are various PS/2 drivers floating around, and if your trackpad supports gestures like scrolling there are trackpad-specific PS/2 drivers.

Sleeping is going to be related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Are you using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext right now?

Yep, It's NullCPUPowerManagement I'm using.

I've tried using Voodoo and ApplePS2Controller but they both didn't work, not sure why, although the USB installer itself had the touchpad working. Can I copy the kext from there?

Sorry I've been away. If your touchpad kext worked on the USB installer, there's no reason why it wouldn't work for your installation. If you install it with Kext Utility or similar you should be good to go.

NullCPUPowerManagement cannot provide sleep, it only nullifies your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext so it doesn't throw a panic. I'd have to do some research on what to do for your machine, but my guess would be that you would need to do some DSDT edits. That's how it worked on my machine.

First of all, sorry for the extremely late reply.

Sorry I've been away. If your touchpad kext worked on the USB installer, there's no reason why it wouldn't work for your installation. If you install it with Kext Utility or similar you should be good to go.

NullCPUPowerManagement cannot provide sleep, it only nullifies your AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext so it doesn't throw a panic. I'd have to do some research on what to do for your machine, but my guess would be that you would need to do some DSDT edits. That's how it worked on my machine.

There's a problem with finding that kext though because of the structure of the Niresh installation disk. I guess it may be in the BaseSystem.dmg thing, I'll check later.

And ummmm... If I removed it, will it "definitely" cause a panic?

Also, is upgrading to Yosemite safe?

Hey all,

I installed mavericks on my 15R SE (7520) using niresh as well, thanks to the guide by gundamfj. Almost everything works. Similar to TheNavigator, touchpad and wifi dont, however.

Niresh is indeed the easiest way for me :D

/edit : and sleep doesn't work, too.

/edit2: brightness doesn't work as well.

/edit3: brightness works with ACPIBrightness.kext and two DSDT patches:

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/graphics/graphics_Rename-GFX0.txt

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/graphics/graphics_PNLF_ivy_sandy.txt

A little bad, I tried this ....

And ummmm... If I removed it, will it "definitely" cause a panic?

And I got a kernel panic which is unable to cover. So I've just had to reinstall niresh from scratch. Other words, I lost my ACPIBrightness.kext

I'll post a link when I got my system working again.

Can you link to ACPIBrightness.kext ? Because different links would lead to different versions.

And I guess I already know the answer to Yosemite, no, it's not safe ._.

Maybe you're looking for ACPIBacklight.kext (not ACPIBrightness.kext).

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

• Like 1

@gundamfj: just curious, how did you make those extras plist and ssdt? I'm trying to install maverics to my work pc (it's a HP desktop pc) but it refuses to boot without -x

I got them from Google :)

Have you finished installed it? After a successful installation I think you can boot without -x.

Maybe you're looking for ACPIBacklight.kext (not ACPIBrightness.kext).

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

I just tried your kext, it didn't work. I read the instructions about the DSDT stuff and the AppleBacklightDisplay.kext but I don't even have that Display kext and I have no DSDT file and I have no idea how to inject these values.

Okay I managed to patch my DSDT and now the brightness slider is there, but it does absolutely nothing. Pressing the FN keys show absolutely nothing as well. The "sun" isn't there.

And then I remembered that doixanh used some patches that worked so I did use them and bam, it worked! The FN keys don't work but I don't really care about that.

I do care about the touchpad, though :/