Broadcom bcm57781 - how do I patch the kext for ML 10.8.5?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

adityaxavier

adityaxavier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Like Mieze said earlier...

In principle this method should work with all members of the BCM57785 family:

• BCM57781 = 0x16B1
  • BCM57785 = 0x16B5 
  • BCM57785X  = 0x16B5 
  • BCM57761  = 0x16B0
  • BCM57791  = 0x16B2
  • BCM57795  = 0x16B6
  • BCM57795X  = 0x16B6 ​​

Same goes for the Clover automatic patching. After all its the same exact patch.

Ofcourse. My Ethernet Card however is Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM57760 14e4:1690. 

Using yours and Mieze's method i have been able to get the AppleBCM kext to recognise and register it. However, i have been unable to get the Kext to recognise that the Cable is plugged. It only shows that the Cable is unplugged. Tried to put in manually address's however that doesn't work either as ifconfig states en0 as inactive even with cable connected.

adityaxavier

adityaxavier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Bump !

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:Cats

Well, I guess you have come to a dead end with regard to patching this driver. Why don't you try the BCM5722 driver from this site? It has proven to work with a number of other Broadcom NICs too.

Mieze

claudiuh

claudiuh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

How can i make it work with BCM57785 but in 10.9.2? thanks

adityaxavier

adityaxavier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Well, I guess you have come to a dead end with regard to patching this driver. Why don't you try the BCM5722 driver from this site? It has proven to work with a number of other Broadcom NICs too.

Mieze

I have been using just that since 10.9. Was able to patch 10.8.x kexts. Problem with BCM5722 driver is we have to reload the kext after every sleep, and incase of boot up with ethernet cable attached.

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 517 posts

I have been using just that since 10.9. Was able to patch 10.8.x kexts. Problem with BCM5722 driver is we have to reload the kext after every sleep, and incase of boot up with ethernet cable attached.

I guess you should get in contact with Alex and work with him in order to fix the issue. Broadcom offers documentation making driver development much easier than most manufacturers.

Mieze

maximus

maximus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Everything IT related, Hi-Fi audio, good books

Hi Mieze,  I was curious myself so yesterday I swapped to my prev DSDT which didn't have it, just to see if there was any change in anyway.  That was fruitless.  I will try a few more things, to track this down.  One curious thing is that this is the only version of the driver, I've seen, that doesn't have IOEthernetAVBController.kext.  Adding one from a virgin 10.8 to the plugins of 10.8.5 results in this in the logs:

11/10/2013 17:56:52.000 kernel[0]: AppleBCM5701Ethernet:        0     16b1 getAdapterInfo - Device is unknown
11/10/2013 17:56:52.000 kernel[0]: AppleBCM5701Ethernet:        0        0 start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

so I came across this thread which is probably behind how PJALMs Asrock dsdt patch, came to have the entry in the first place.

I'd love to know how it gets that 16b1, and if it can be intercepted.  It's been a couple of decades since my assembler days, but I've even started casually checking the binary in hopper to see if anything jumps out.

I appreciate your help, and will be happy to try out any ideas.

Serge 

I have the same problem as you do. Only difference is i am getting this in logs:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet:        0        0 start - Allocate Interrupt event source failed

Still trying to figure out how to solve it....

adityaxavier

adityaxavier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Any update on how to patch it for 10.9.3 ?

adityaxavier

adityaxavier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Guys any clue on how to do the Hex Edit for 10.9.4 or Yosemite ?

mummy108

mummy108

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

hello, I'm using the 16B5 BCM57785 ,I wanna just put a new ID in the dsdt and it's calling inject?

which id will be work? tks~

forumi0721

forumi0721

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
Here's BCM57781 for 10.9.4, 10.10b1 (maybe 10.9.2, 10.9.3 also work)

Clover KextsToPatch Code

Spoiler

Onixs

Onixs

Since 2007

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
@forumi0721
Can you make one for BCM57785 = 0x16B5 please. 10.9.4 - 10.10

forumi0721

forumi0721

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
Here is binary patched BCM57781

Here is Clover EFI bootloader KextsToPatch section code

And Clover KextsToPatch Code
Spoiler

BCM57785 maybe...

Info.plist = 0x16b4 -> 0x16b5? (not sure)

TundraBoy

TundraBoy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi
Here is binary patched BCM57781

Here is Clover EFI bootloader KextsToPatch section code

forumi0721,

The Yosemite 10.10 DP6 patches to BCM5701 are working great to enable BCM57781 on ASRock Z77 board.

Thank you so much for your tremendous effort and support!!!

I'll probably be back when Apple changes the drivers again...

TundraBoy

MikeKiller

MikeKiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I've been using the Clover KextsToPatch-method for a while, but I messed up my installation last week. I have a Time Machine-backup so reinstalling wasn't really a big deal. But now the weird thing is, is that my network isn't working any more. I've used the exact same bootloader I created before, I've created an entirely new one from scratch, recopied the OS X installation on my USB-drive as I thought the installation partition may be corrupt. Now the best part I really don't get is that network is working during installation! I have access to my Time Machine-backup, thus network access, but as soon as the installation is finished, it doesn't work any more. I currently installed OS X more than 10 times in a row today and I don't know what to do any more.

I've attached an image of my OS X-machine booting up without injected kexts so I had the time to take a picture and one of Logging.app filtered on 5701.

Further information:

Mobo: ASRock Z77e-ITX

Network chip: BCM57781

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attached Files

Mieze

Mieze

Giant Cat

• Coders
  • 517 posts

In the installation the patch isn't applied correctly or doesn't match the kext's version.

Mieze

XerSonik

XerSonik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:OS X, Hackintosh.

Mieze

Hi, clover patch works fine in 10.9.4, 10.10 dp 6, for which many thanks! 

Could you make a patch for 10.10 beta 2.? 

ASRock Z77e-ITX 
BCM57781

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy