How to Install OS X 10.x (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks) in VMware Workstation 9/10 or Player 5/6

OS X VMware Workstation 9 Player 5 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion OS X 10.9 Mavericks Unlocker

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

StaxOnRax,

Glad you like the "How To..." and it helped you get up and running with an OS X virtual machine.

As NSCXP2005 has post you can add "VMware Shared Folders" to your desktop, however as I like to keep my desktop uncluttered I prefer to use Go > Computers and "VMware Shared Folders" should be one of the available icons, along with "Network" and your local OS X hard disk(s).

The original post in this thread recommends using Bridged rather than NAT for the network connection.

In terms of Autofit guest and general graphics enhancement, Zenith432 has produced an alternative driver for OS X 10.6 to 10.8 (VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-10.8.pkg) or for OS X 10.9 (VMvsga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg) to the VMware one as well as a patch for guest fit (guestd_patches.pkg), see the link below for the files and related topic:

http://sourceforge.n.../files/Display/

http://www.insanelym...v125/?p=1948277

But please be aware 3D graphics and applications that use QE/CI are not supported in an OS X virtual guest.

StaxOnRax

StaxOnRax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you guys! I finally could find the shared folders of my computer through the VM with your help and with that install OS X apps within it! :D And major thanks for the resolution driver fix! it was so annoying having to scroll with the VM to see the entirety of the screen.

But the network issue still persists, ive set it to bridged and it didnt have any internet access, not even when i ticked the box that says "Replicate physical network connection state" should i configure anything inside OS X to get to connect to VMWare's bridged network? ive attached a screenshot of what the Network Utility app of OS X says.

It shows that its recieved and sent data but i can never get Safari or any other app in it so far to connect to the internet, what do i have to change in the settings to get it to connect? :/ With Windows hosts it doesnt need any configuring

And sorry for replying so late, i was never notified in my email of a response to this thread >.<

Attached Files

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

StaxOnRax,

The 169 IP Address indicates you are not getting a correct DHCP address, either check you DHCP source or give your OS X VM a static address.

StaxOnRax

StaxOnRax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Well, how do i do that? im really not good with networking related stuff :/

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Found something useful in Fusion 6 for Mavericks. If you try to install Mavericks using Fusion 6 it creates an installer image. Having wondered how this was done I found a BASH script in the application package which is used to create a DMG for installation. As it is only a BASH script I think it should be OK to post here, and can be used directly to create a useable installation DMG for other VMware platforms.

#!/bin/bash
#
# This executable converts a Mavericks .app (which allows to upgrade a machine
# from Mac OS 10.6.7+ to Mavericks) into a Mavericks .dmg (which allows to
# install Mavericks from scratch on a machine).
#
# It has been tested with "Install OS X 10.9 Developer Preview.app" (build
# 13A476u).
#

set -x
set -e

# The first argument is the path to the .app bundle (the input of the
# executable).
inputApp="$1"
# The second argument is the path to the .dmg file (the output of the
# executable), which must end with ".dmg".
outputDmg="$2"
[ "${outputDmg: -4}" = .dmg ]

#
# The problem: /System/Installation/Packages inside /BaseSystem.dmg inside
# "$inputApp"/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg is a dangling symlink,
# which prevents installing Mavericks from scratch.
# The solution: Replace the symlink with the /Packages directory inside
# "$inputApp"/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg.
#

tmpDir=`mktemp -d -t 'Create Mavericks Installer'`
installMnt="$tmpDir"/install
installPkg="$installMnt"/Packages
outputMnt="$tmpDir"/output
outputPkg="$outputMnt"/System/Installation/Packages

cleanup() {
   if [ -d "$outputMnt" ]; then
      hdiutil detach "$outputMnt"
   fi

if [ -d "$installMnt" ]; then
      hdiutil detach "$installMnt"
   fi

rmdir -- "$tmpDir"
}

# Cleanup on failure.
trap cleanup ERR

# Mount InstallESD.dmg so we can access /BaseSystem.dmg and /Packages inside.
hdiutil attach "$inputApp"/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg \
   -mountpoint "$installMnt" -nobrowse

# Create "$outputDmg", a read/write copy of the read-only BaseSystem.dmg.
hdiutil convert "$installMnt"/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDRW -o "$outputDmg"

# Enlarge "$outputDmg" to accommodate for our modifications. The UDRW image
# format is not sparse, so we must precisely compute the new size.
curSectors=`hdiutil resize "$outputDmg" -limits | tail -1 | awk '{ print $2 }'`
extraSectors=`BLOCKSIZE=512 du -s -- "$installPkg" | awk '{ print $1 }'`
hdiutil resize "$outputDmg" -sectors $((curSectors + extraSectors))

# Mount "$outputDmg".
hdiutil attach "$outputDmg" -mountpoint "$outputMnt" -nobrowse

# Modify "$outputDmg".
rm -- "$outputPkg"
cp -r -- "$installPkg" "$outputPkg"

# Cleanup on success.
trap ERR; cleanup

ls -alh -- "$outputDmg"

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 416 posts

I installed 13A603 in VMware over existing installation of 13A598.  It works and retains settings.

vmdk file expanded about 8GB - after wipe free space and compact, shrunk back to previous size.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

I have created a DMG and installed OS X 10.9.0 (13A603) the released version of Mavericks in VMware Workstation 10 with the unlocker 1.2.x from the Install OS X Mavericks App downloaded free (that was unexpected, thanks Apple!) from the Mac App Store, using the script from Fusion 6 discovered by Donk, as detailed in post 25 above.

The DMG installed Mavericks in Workstation 10 without conversion to ISO, again thanks to Donk for the heads up, and also installed in ESXi 5.5.

Edited by MSoK, 23 October 2013 - 04:32 PM.

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
Donk or MSoK, would you be able to make the script in to a sh file?

Thanks

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

.sh IS script already

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
How do I use the bash information above?

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

How do I use the bash information above?

Attached File  Create Mavericks Installer.tool.txt   2.21KB   276 downloads

Download the attached file to OS X. From a Terminal prompt:

mv Create\ Mavericks\ Installer.tool.txt Create\ Mavericks\ Installer.tool
chmod +x Create\ Mavericks\ Installer.tool
./Create\ Mavericks\ Installer.tool /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app osx9.dmg

You need to pass the Mavericks installer application and the name of an output DMG.

windyboi

windyboi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Help Please

I have followed the Guide as described but stuck with Error: EFI VmWare Virtual SATA CDROM (1.0) unsuccessful !! (See Picture, Please)

https://dl.dropboxus...634/Error01.png

I am getting exactly the same error, I have tried different converters for dmg to iso, and have even burned the dmg to a disk and tried that way and no luck.

I am attempting to use OSX 10.8.4 on VM Workstation 10

If anyone is able to help I would very much appreciate it.

Jamie

Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I've followed a similar procedure to this - had a 10.8.5 install of OSX working fine under VMWare Player 5 with unlocker.  Upgraded to VMWare Player 6 and unlocker 1.2.  Ran the Mavericks installer - went smoothly, OSX boots up but choosing Finder -> File -> New Finder Window doesn't work.  The menu bar and icons on the desktop disappear for a second and then come back, but no Finder window.  Also the maps app crashes on startup.

Anyone else having these issues + any known fix?

Brad

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,941 posts

Hi,

I've followed a similar procedure to this - had a 10.8.5 install of OSX working fine under VMWare Player 5 with unlocker.  Upgraded to VMWare Player 6 and unlocker 1.2.  Ran the Mavericks installer - went smoothly, OSX boots up but choosing Finder -> File -> New Finder Window doesn't work.  The menu bar and icons on the desktop disappear for a second and then come back, but no Finder window.  Also the maps app crashes on startup.

Brad

1. Make sure you upgrade the virtual hardware to version 10

2. Make sure the OS is set to 10.9 and not 10.6 for guestod

mr.sandman

mr.sandman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I was able to install Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on a fresh new virtual machine on Windows 7 x64 with VMWare Workstation 10.0 patched with the Unlocker 1.2.0 mentioned in the first post.

My prerequisites were a running virtual machine with Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and the "Install OS X Mavericks" app downloaded from the Mac App Store.

I took the following steps:

1. Added a new hard disk (ca. 10GB in size) to the virtual machine configuration of my running Mountain Lion machine.
  2. Rebooted the virtual machine in order to recognize the new hard disk.
  3. Used the Disk Utility to partition the new hard disk (single partition named "Untitled" with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file format).
  4. Used the following command to make the new hard disk a bootable installation media (found on this site: http://www.marekbell...10-9-and-above/ ):

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

5. After the process completed, shut down the machine and removed the new hard disk from the virtual machine configuration.
  6. Created a new virtual machine with Apple Mac OS X, Version Mac OS X 10.9 and with custom hardware settings.
  7. After this, added the hard disk prepared in steps 1-6 as second hard disk to the newly created virtual machine.
  8. Powered on the new virtual machine which now booted seamlessly into the installation procedure on the second hard disk.
  9. Made sure to partition the first hard disk with the Disk Utility before starting the Installation (otherwise the installer only recognizes its own disk).
  10. After the successful installation, shut down and removed the installation hard disk from the virtual machine configuration.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

I was able to install Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on a fresh new virtual machine on Windows 7 x64 with VMWare Workstation 10.0 patched with the Unlocker 1.2.0 mentioned in the first post.

Mr Sandman,

Thanks for your installation description, it is very similar to the method deployed by Zenith432 and others in another thread, I think we have superseded the method with the new script from Donk which creates a bootable DMG file which can be used in Workstation 10 or ESXi 5.5 to install OS X Mavericks from scratch, see the post earlier in this thread.

GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Sounds like the description in the OP and the script are to install Mavericks from scratch.

Is it possible to upgrade an existing 10.8 VM in VMware Player 6?  I attempted to just do an app store upgrade, but it fails to boot, resulting in an infinitely spinning color pinwheel.

I did add this to my .vmx file, but it didn't seem to help.

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

I also made this change:

virtualHW.version = "10"

guestOS = "darwin13-64"

No joy.  Is installing from scratch the only way to make it work?

UPDATE: Might have posted this too soon.  Changed this:

smc.present = "FALSE"

to

smc.present = "TRUE"

I have no real thought process for changing it, I was just changing stuff randomly and that happened to work.

It booted and is installing.  Not sure if it'll work, guess I'll find out in 45-minutes.

UPDATE2: It worked.  Did not need the cpuid.1.eax line.

UPDATE3: Kernel panics on shutdown.  When I reboot, it says the kernel panic had something to do with a "double fault".  Any ideas?

UPDATE4: Fix for UPDATE3 was to turn smc.present back to FALSE.  Everything now seemingly A-OK.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 416 posts

Do you have VMsvga2 installed over from 10.8.5?  If so, you need to install the version for OS 10.9.  The older one causes the type of behavior you describe.  It's caused by a crash of the OpenGL loader when trying to find a hardware GL driver.

Hi,

Brad

ajflav

ajflav

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Help Please

I have followed the Guide as described but stuck with Error: EFI VmWare Virtual SATA CDROM (1.0) unsuccessful !! (See Picture, Please)

I am having the same problem. I used the "hdiutil convert" method as described in the OP against the retail 10.9 downloaded from the App Store. I am running Workstation 9.0.2 on a Windows host. I tried changing the guest CD drive to SCSI to no avail. It just wont boot the resultant .iso. Opening the iso in ISO Buster it looks like everything is there, so I'm really confused as to why this wont boot.

Thanks for any help.

Brad Robinson

Brad Robinson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the prompt replies.

1. Make sure you upgrade the virtual hardware to version 10

2. Make sure the OS is set to 10.9 and not 10.6 for guestod

I had the OS set to 10.9, but hadn't upgraded the virtual hardware.

Do you have VMsvga2 installed over from 10.8.5?  If so, you need to install the version for OS 10.9.  The older one causes the type of behavior you describe.  It's caused by a crash of the OpenGL loader when trying to find a hardware GL driver.

That was it.  Thanks.

For anyone else with same problem:

1. In VMWare Player, there's no UI for the virtual hardware version (although it does show it).  You need to manually edit the VMX file and change virtualHW.version to "10"

2. Since I couldn't run Finder or Safari, getting the updated VMsvga driver was a little awkward.  In the end I uninstalled the old version through terminal:

> curl http://waix.dl.sourc...a2/uninstall.sh -o uninstall.sh

> chmod 777 uninstall.sh

> sudo ./uninstall.sh

Follow prompts, restart OSX and then download and install new version from here:  http://sourceforge.n...2.5_OS_10.9.pkg

I now seem to have a functional install of Mavericks - the only problem I've seen so far is the new maps app still doesn't work - no map display, crashes on switching to hybrid/satellite view, but I don't really need that anyway.

Thanks again everyone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, VMware, Workstation 9, Player 5, OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9, Mavericks, Unlocker

Topic Stats Last Post Info

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy