28 replies to this topic

Raymond Lai

Raymond Lai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Sounds like a silly question.

My hackintosh is aging and planning to buy a new mother board and a brand new CPU.

Thanks for genius people like you guys to build such a great tool.

Can anyone kindly suggest a configuration works well with Pandora's box ? Fairly good mother board, top line i7 CPU, fairly good gpu.

Any input is welcome.

Jack Donker

Jack Donker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Nice, if this gets better for EFI mobo's I will start using it more. Plz add clover ;-)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts

Sounds like a silly question.

My hackintosh is aging and planning to buy a new mother board and a brand new CPU.

Thanks for genius people like you guys to build such a great tool.

Can anyone kindly suggest a configuration works well with Pandora's box ? Fairly good mother board, top line i7 CPU, fairly good gpu.

Any input is welcome.

If you mean a good and easy to set up build, try these parts:

- Core i7 3770K (if no over clock needed, take the 3770 not K: it has the advantage of VT-D, but i don't know OSX issues with it are fixed if you want to use the feature);

- Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H (if no over clock needed, take the H77 version);

- EVGA GTX 670;

- The mobo has four RAM slots, max it out!

- If you need wi-fi, go for a TP-Link WDN-4800;

- Take the biggest and baddest screen you can afford; use one which has DVI-D and HDMI connectors - VGA is likely to fail you;

- Any Corsair (my choice) or OCZ PS 500W+

- If you get a HDMI monitor with built-in audio, you'll have to study how to get it working, but you won't need external speakers;

- A Logitech C920: it's pure joy with FaceTime.

That's it! Good luck!

P.S.: and it's indeed way off-topic. I suggest a local mod move this to another place (and post the link here so we find it).

horsetrader

horsetrader

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Great tool, thanks for this.  I was finally able to get an upgrade to 10.8.4 working using v2 Pandora's box post install - I'm doing a build on a Sager custom "gaming" notebook - for portable/travelling audio/logic pro work station (I'm a film/tv composer).  This is a beast - 6 core i7 3.5 ghz with 32gb ram installed 3 ssds for samples, etc.  

I could use some HELP post-install as I'm relatively green at hacking, and trying to sort out video issues.  The card is an Nvda GT`X 770m with 3gb ram.  When I booted into the native 10.8.4 drivers after upgrading from 10.8.3, I can ONLY get video from the attached DVI output on the main board to an external monitor.  I had almost given up, but thanks to the Pandora's box option to "remove the nvda kexts", I was back to at least seeing the internal display again, but of course the card is not fully supported, only shows 7mb ram and acceleration, etc. broken.  

BUT the interal display is properly "seen" and funcioning  (it was completely BLACK with the native 10.8.4 Nvdia kexts installed). 

The only way I was able to get a OSX86 install to work on this motherboard, which is a "custom" sager intel board (with very little bios control over the hardware) was to use iAtkos ML 10.8.3  UEFI Clover boot install.  So now, I'm hoping I can get the full nvida support via kext editing... or proper injection? -  (as best I can understand) Clover kind of hijacks the Chameleon boot loader part of started up and is not editable..??  Any expert ideas appreciated! Also implied in this question are how to get the proper addressing to the Video Outputs of the machine as well for you EXPERT GENIUSes here   thanks!!

I can try manually adding back nvdia kexts one by one.  Of course the IDEAL situation would be to have the card work and addressing BOTH the internal display on the Sager Notebook, and the external DVI and HDMI outputs wired in..

Ive already fixed networking (via a new card) and USB/PS2 stuff, batter level, and (I think) sleep/wake.

Sager Notebook   OSX 10.8.4 Atheros wlan, Nvda GTX 770M 3gb 32GG ram installed   i7-3970X  

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
If this notebook uses nVidia optimus, or other dual graphics system, you're out of luck, unless you manage to disable the dedicated graphics - the nVidia - in the BIOS and use the integrated graphics only. If it has InsydeH2O or some other locked BIOS besides dual graphics, don't even try it: bear in mind that notebook support in OSX86 is rather limited, and you must always research if your laptop is one of the very few that will satisfactorily work before starting your OSX86 project.

If the notebook has no integrated graphics - such as some Alienware Sandy-E based notebooks, perhaps there's hope: check it out!

All the best!
PS.: I overlooked the CPU model of your laptop, since my browser rendered it in tiny letters, don't know why. It has indeed no Intel HD integrated graphics, since it's a Sandy-E machine. Good! Is it SLI? If it is, you must turn SLI off in the BIOS, otherwise no dice.

ztjangle

ztjangle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I tried the Beta2 version on ML 10.8.4, but it didn't create a bootable USB installer for my EVGA X58 132-BL-E758-A1 mobo (GTX 285 grapgics card)

I also tried Digital_Dreamer's Hackinstaller script without any success.

What finally worked was Conti's MyHack installer. I did need several boot flags and a few simple ##### touchups, but nothing too heavy.

All of the aforementioned tools are great aids for us non-hackers who are here because we need a working computer for our profession. I don't understand people who oppose such great efforts and encourage endless hours on the Terminal, one patch after another.

Whoever wants to make hacking their hobby, there's nothing stopping them. I prefer getting the job done as quickly as possible, so that I can use the Hackintosh to create music and graphics. To each their own!

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

All of the aforementioned tools are great aids for us non-hackers who are here because we need a working computer for our profession. I don't understand people who oppose such great efforts and encourage endless hours on the Terminal, one patch after another.

Whoever wants to make hacking their hobby, there's nothing stopping them. I prefer getting the job done as quickly as possible, so that I can use the Hackintosh to create music and graphics. To each their own!

Buy a Mac for your professional work.  

Sphinx777

Sphinx777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Fantastic work! Although my PC is Haswell was possible to pass reboot error (I think created by mach_kernel + FakeSMC) using other tools as MyHack or ### trying to install ML or Mavericks.
I believe that in a short time will be possible installation on Haswell ones using your great tool without suffering. Sorry for my english and many thanks!

schot

schot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Finally i was able to install Mavericks. Only it took a long time to before i could choose my main language.
Only can't get OSX started or it takes more then 10 minutes.... I switch it off.

don't got kp's onlt SMC error but booting with dart=0 they were gone

MSI H87-G41 PC Mate, i7-4770, 32gb DDR3 1600 XMP, GTX650

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pandora, InsanelyMac, Tools, Instaler, Bootloader, Utility

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy