VMWare 9 and 10.9 DP1 yet?

20 posts in this topic

Yes.

Some strange stuff too.

don't have my screen resolution listed in Displays - so only way to get it to fit screen is with autofit guest.

Software Update shows a blank white window in App Store.

Keep getting an error msg when trying to open Finder.

post-446538-0-97838700-1371218828_thumb.png

Did not manage so far to boot with -v -f -s, in fact during Maverick install from ML I specified the second disk, but in fact it did write something to my ML disk which is now not bootable

EDIT:

To get ML boot again had to do as per last post in:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1195730

sudo bless -folder "/Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/CoreServices" --bootefi

sebus

I did not install from ML.  Fresh install as follows

• Create two fresh vmdks.  vmdk1 (8GB) for installation media.  vmdk2 (20GB) for installed system.
  • Get InstallESD.dmg from the file distributed by Apple.  Mount it.  Then mount BaseSystem.dmg which is in it.
  • Use asr/DiskUtility-restore to copy "Mac OS X Base System" onto vmdk1 (the installation media.)
  • In vmdk1, remove the link at /System/Installation/Packages, and copy the contents of /Packages folder in InstallESD.dmg (when mounted) into a subfolder /System/Installation/Packages (on vmdk1).
  • Opened the package BaseSystemBinaries.pkg with Pacifist, extract mach_kernel from it and put it on / folder in vmdk1.
  • Use VMWare EFI firmware booter to boot /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi on vmdk1.  Alternatively, I used rEfit which I have installed to boot vmdk1.
  • That puts you into the standalone booted install.  Chose the volume vmdk2 to install in and eveything went as expected.
  • Installed VMware Tools and VMsvga2 1.2.5 on vmdk2.  Both work.
  • Still I ran into problems mentioned in post #5.  Feels like a prerelease...
  • Like 1

Yes.

Some strange stuff too.

don't have my screen resolution listed in Displays - so only way to get it to fit screen is with autofit guest.

Software Update shows a blank white window in App Store.

Keep getting an error msg when trying to open Finder.

Just a sanity check using Macbook Pro 15" Retina with VMware Fusion 5.0.3 as a baseline for other tests.

1. Installed fresh copy using a DMG created from the installation app

2. Installed VMware tools version 9.2.2.18018 (build-893683)

3. No VMsvga2 installed

No problems with App Store or Finder.

Adding VMsvga2 1.2.5 does exhibit the same problems. So looks like a problem wtih Mavericks and the VMsvga2 driver, and can rule out the tech preview.

• Like 1

Alright, I have installed Mavericks within VMware WorkStation 9. Now, how would I update it when Developer Preview 2 comes out? (What would I most likely need to do?)

I have upgraded to 10.9 from 10.8.4 and have same problems in post #1.

I have read about booting with -v -f -s option but how can I can type that option? The vmware boot way too fast and before anything happend, I have already at the apple logo with beach ball

I've tried upgrading Mountain Lion and a fresh install via Zenith's guide but it always sits at beachball forever when trying to boot to Mavericks or to the Mavericks installer.  I've tried the -v -s -f options.

Can anyone with a working install post their .nvram and .vmx files?  I have a feeling there's some configuration option that makes a difference.

I finally got Mavericks working.  The critical missing step was installing http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/20-vmware-unlocker-for-os-x/

I'm using VMWare Workstation 9.0.2

Installing the unlocker didn't get any of my old attempts at a Mavericks install working, but I was able to create a new machine using the OS X 10.8 64-bit template and boot it using an installer vmdk disk created using a combination of Zenith's instructions plus another site plus some other research.  Here's the steps I followed:

• Started with working copy of 10.8.2 (I imagine you could start with 10.6 or 10.7 as well)
  • Shutdown 10.8.2 normally (actually it always panics on shutdown for whatever reason).
  • Add empty 8gb vmdk disk to 10.8.2 machine
  • Boot 10.8.2
  • Copy Maverick developer preview installer app to desktop.
  • Open Terminal app and run:
    • hdiutil mount ~/Desktop/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.9\ Developer\ Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
    • hdiutil attach /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD\ 1/BaseSystem.dmg
  • Run Disk Utility app:
    • Partition the empty 8gb to 1 partition with default options (Mac OSX Extended (journaled) and GUID partition map under Options….  Disk name doesn’t matter).
    • Choose 'OS X Base System' on the left, 'Restore' tab, drag the empty 8gb disk to the destination field.
    • The 8gb disk gets renamed to “OS X Base System” with Mac OSX Extended format after restore is complete.
  • Open “OS X Base System” disk in Finder, then delete the shortcut link in /System/Installation/Packages
  • Copy the /Packages folder from InstallESD.dmg (which should still be mounted as OS X Install ESD) over to replace the link you deleted.
  • In Terminal run:
    • pkgutil --expand /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD\ 1/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg ~/Desktop/BaseSystemBinaries
    • cd ~/Desktop/BaseSystemBinaries
    • cat Payload | cpio -id
    • cp mach_kernel /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System
  • Shut down 10.8.2
  • Create a new machine in VMWare using the 'OS X 10.8 64-bit' template.  Use all default options and create a new vmdk disk (I used 50gb but 20gb would also be fine, depending what you want to do with it).
  • Note that changing an existing machine to use OS X 10.8 64-bit won't make it boot.  You need to start with a new machine.
  • After creating the machine, edit machine settings and add a hard disk and point it to the 8gb installer vmdk disk you created earlier.
  • Start the machine and it should boot to the installer.
  • If it won't start, try this:
    • As you start the machine, as soon as the VMWare logo disappears, click in the black screen of the machine so the mouse pointer disappears and keep pressing F8.  If it asks if you want to boot from the hard drive, press the h key and then keep pressing F8 again until it shows you a 'boot:' prompt.  At that point, type '-v -s -f' (without the quotes) and press Enter.
  • If the installer doesn't list any places you can install to, do this:
    • Go to Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility
    • Select disk you want to install to.
    • Choose Erase tab
    • Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
    • Name: Mavericks (or whatever you want to call it)
    • After formatting, close disk utility and the disk should appear as a place you can install to.

VMWare tools from darwin.iso in the Unlocker are working fine in DP1.  Certain graphics don't display, like in Desktop preferences, thumbnails of the desktop background colors and images don't display but can still be clicked to change the desktop.

• Like 1

Thanks, that was the "trick":

Note that changing an existing machine to use OS X 10.8 64-bit won't make it boot.  You need to start with a new machine

I tried to "recycle" existing ML VM & that gave the very problems...

sebus

OSX 10.9 Mavericks DP1 and DP2 (Just updated it from Mac App Store) is working properly on VMWare Player 5.0.2. Instead of upgrading from Mountain Lion, I create a bootable iso disk to clean install on my virtual machine. Haven't installed VMWare Tools or VMsvga2 drivers yet.

Update: VMWare Tools (Latest from Fusion) are working fine. VMsvga drivers has some problems though.