• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The motherboard tray from MiniHack / thelaserhive.com arrived today (thx dude, fast shipping !) and I installed it. I didn't look at the installation instructions before I ordered it and I didn't know that I had to cut off some of the stand-offs, so it was a little more work than I anticipated. I thought they would come off willingly, but apparently, Apple's subsidiary secured them really well. So with the proper tools those stand-offs got cut faster than I shave and with some more manual labor they were a little more finished.

After about an hour total I got this:

Posted Image

Yes, the protective film is still on it. That's because I'm not done yet at all with this case, still have to fabricate the storage system to the left of the motherboard tray and still have to find some hardware to test the PSU. Also, I'm waiting on the new Haswell chips to arrive from Intel and a nice mITX motherboard to use in my main computer (the G5 is going to be a NAS case), so this project will probably be really really finished somewhere around August when the Ncase M1 gets delivered and a nice H87 or Z87 mITX motherboard finds it's way to retail.

Next up: storage system !!

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Keep on going, you are on the right tracks and yes, it is an on going process. I start mine in 2008 en is still nearly finished. :moil:

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for the support ! But I'm going to finish it this year, no matter what. The case should be complete in the summer, probably. I don't like projects not being finished, I'm already feeling like I'm slacking off :)

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts
For your case you didn't need to cut standoffs, just remove a few.

What was in the instructions was to use the shelf screw points (which I see you did) and then look at which standoffs you have for securing the bottom of the tray. In yours I see you have standoffs outside the mobo footprint and you used those (three or four) to secure it.

The other ones, the ones inside the mobo footprint that you don't have to use, you could have just used the sideways tap with a hammer method and they pop right out......

Only times you need to shorten original standoffs is for those few cases and kits where there are no convenient points at the bottom to secure the tray too.

:D Never mind though, you did a great job.

You have though prompted me to notice that I need to re-write those instructions again as I have just re-read the "original mATX kit" instructions and see that they do not specifically mention the sideways hammer tap method for standoff removal. :wallbash:

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yeah, I meant I needed to remove those useless ball-headed stand-offs either way, I thought they were screwed in but the were not :/ And because I basically had to cut off three, why not just cut the ones that were in my way :) But indeed, I didn't know about the hamer-tap method. Not a problem, those things got shreded anyway :D

I indeed looked at the bottom three to use as the reference, since it seemed to fit there. I found two more that worked out, one on the far right and one on the far left, just above the center line. It feels sturdy enough that it will never come off so I'm happy with that. The top three I need to secured when I put the top shelf back in but the screws in the package weren't long enough or I'm missing something. The top shelf should be sandwiched in between the sidepanel of the case and the plexi motherboard tray, right ? But no worries, my dad always collected thousands of screws so I'll find the ones I need in no-time.

Basically, your tray saved me incredible amounts of time, money and headaches, so I'm very happy with your product !

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts
Yep, that tray ain't gonna move once it is screwed down.

For the shelf screw bits are the little M3 screws not long enough now to reach? They should reach as they are 8mm and the plexi is 5mm thick so even when the shelf is in place and using a washer (the thin m3 washer not the thick 3mm ones) they should be able grab those threaded inserts.....

Anyway. Any problem you can always email me direct.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ah ok then it's an oversight on my part. i haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure. It will be a while before the top shelf can go back in.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Preparation for the storage system:
(pictures of Mac Pro Drive Sled and Corsair SATA Backplane measurements)
Spoiler

Object: W x H x D in cm
MacPro Sled: 10.5 x 15.5 x 3.1
SATA backplane: 10.0 x 14.1 x 1.0

Object: W x H x D in inch
MacPro Sled: 4.13 x 6.10 x 1.22
SATA backplane: 3.94 x 5.55 x 0.39

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Can't wait to see the following, had thought to do something alike after having seeing what you're about and what MiniHack had done . Congratz.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for the support !

I did some measuring and I'm affraid MiniHack is right (again * :P): I can only fit 7 HDD's with the Corsair SATA backplanes.

* You might start to think he's been around many many G5 cases :D

This is a rough drawing of how it should look like:

Posted Image

If those backplanes from Corsair would have less space between the ports, I could have fitted them all but I doubt I'll find a better solution anytime soon. I can live with 7 drives :)

People, I'd like to hear some of your input:

What should I do with the top shelf ? I don't want to stuff more disks in there, it wouldn't look very nice and I really don't need more than 8 disks anyway. 4TB x 8 in RAID-Z2 = 24TB which is about 6 times more than I have now.

I'm able to place an SSD there but basically they are so small I could just as easily stuff it behind the motherboard tray if I'd like.
Keep in mind that it's going to be a decent NAS system based on ZFS (based on FreeNAS, ZFSguru, NAS4Free) so optical drives are useless, as are watercooling kits.
If I can't find anything useful, I'll probably put an ODD in there "to fill the hole" but it seems like such a waste... But I'm coming up empty on ideas.

MiniHack

MiniHack

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 630 posts
I don't enjoy being right...... ;)

Question I guess is if you don't want to cut the front then you are probably going to either have to keep the ODD or use the panel space of the DVD hatch for something useful - little display? Fan controller?

or convert the DVD player into something else. I have just gutted one for fun (yes, I need to get out more I know) and you could adapt a gutted DVD player to give you a pop out card reader or SSD drive tray (or cup holder).

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
You could place several SSD's in Raid where the DVD player is located ?

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
OK been pondering the storage system; remember that aluminium beam I got a while back ?

Posted Image

I'd like to make something like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The disk, Velociraptor (2,5") just as an example but going to use 3,5" disks, sits slanted because the other side is free-floating but you get the idea. I found some rubber grommets that I can cut into two equal pieces, which I then can cut again in two not-exactly-equal pieces. With a certain sized screw and a small nut, I "fabricated" this concept. I'd like to make it some somewhat higher quality with inset screwheads and smaller nuts. Preferably also better rubber grommets but I'm having a hard time finding the correct ones.

Any tips on this are welcome.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Have you tried to use the original Apple HDD's screws or DVD's screws ?

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I don't know about the HDD screws because I don't have any, but the DVD screws don't work.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Not much news to post, except I found some rubber faucet joints that are 12x3mm, useable as rubber wheels to for the rails. Now I'm also looking for the right screws and as soon as I have the hard drive suspension that is according to my wishes, I'll post pictures !

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
OK that went faster then expected:

Posted Image
Those are the rubber faucet joints I was talking about. Two together are to thick for the inside of the rail so I tried the next best thing.

Posted Image
Easy solution, although the store only had 30 of those rubber joints and I need 56 (2 per screw, 4 screws, 7 hard disks) so tomorrow I'll check another of their locations.

Posted Image
They are awaiting more rubber joints :)

This works very well, the metal (rail and screw) are dampened from eachother with the rubber joints, so it'll minimize vibrations. Now I need to figure out the cage...

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Some more pictures of the system:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Looks great. Well done.

Phunczz

Phunczz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks ! The worst part is yet to come: the entire cage. Tum-Tum Tuuuummm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PowerMac, G5, modding, casemodding, PowerMac G5, mATX, microATX, NAS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy