Installing SL on Dell 630M

Zero Shadow

45 posts in this topic

I'll give it a try no worries Lejenk I just appreciate you taking as much time as you have trying to help me, I may have to consider moving this thread to the Post Installation section now since Ive at least got that far now :D.

Thanks again Lejenk

I'll keep at it invested to much now to give up now :)

I scanned though this thread and your prior one pretty quick so maybe I missed something but: There is no reason you would need to upgrade from 10.5.x to 10.6.x just to be able to multi boot Windows and Linux. You can update the boot loader or change to an alternative one without reinstalling any operating systems. So for example Chameleon bootloader, when it's booting windows why would it care if your have OSX 10.5 or OSX9? It won't.

Now that you are trying to do a new install of OSX on your multi OS drive...does Windows partition still exist on this drive? Your getting a filesystem error in installer and having disk utility issues. When a windows NTFS partition exists on a HD, OSX don't like to modify anymore even the other partitions that maybe NFS+ of repair the drive properly. I would look at this first. You can try Leopard and see if it gets same error now too, or try a clean GUID/NFS+ hard drive (you can always clone and move stuff around later if you own more than one HD)

• Like 1

Thats what I thought initially as well but after everything I tried and after one of the other users mentioning it wouldnt work I concluded maybe I need to focus on trying to get SL to work which as you can see has take a lot of effort.

No im currently using a test drive a 40GB HD to install SL I have put the Mutli-boot HD to the side for now. I was able to successfully install 10.5.6 using the iDeneb disk and even upgrade to 10.5.8 with the combo update on the mutliboot HD before. On this particular HD (40GB) I have also had no trouble at all installing Leopard using the same iDeneb disk however when using the ModCD method + Retail CD (10.6.3) I have had no such luck it will always freeze at the installing MAC OSX screen.

So for SL using the 40GB HD I have used it for nothing but the installation of SL and it has been formatted in the DU for GUID and right now Im stuck at the error above *Waiting for DSMOS* using the Hazard distro disk. I cant figure out why the other methods will not work tho.

Thanks for the input eep357 :)

I scanned though this thread and your prior one pretty quick so maybe I missed something but: There is no reason you would need to upgrade from 10.5.x to 10.6.x just to be able to multi boot Windows and Linux. You can update the boot loader or change to an alternative one without reinstalling any operating systems. So for example Chameleon bootloader, when it's booting windows why would it care if your have OSX 10.5 or OSX9? It won't.

Now that you are trying to do a new install of OSX on your multi OS drive...does Windows partition still exist on this drive? Your getting a filesystem error in installer and having disk utility issues. When a windows NTFS partition exists on a HD, OSX don't like to modify anymore even the other partitions that maybe NFS+ of repair the drive properly. I would look at this first. You can try Leopard and see if it gets same error now too, or try a clean GUID/NFS+ hard drive (you can always clone and move stuff around later if you own more than one HD)

Got ya sorry about that no worries tho. :)

Well, i can not move the topic again, since i have no rights in this section :)

But seriously, we do not keep moving, thought i had mentioned it before. Open another topic in the post installation section when you think it is needed.

and you using GE=No for that GMA900 right?

OK, rather than ask you more questions. Lets find the answers :) You know how to boot single user using -s?

Well, you just type -s :P This should make booting stop at a command prompt. It will also say how to do file system check and then mount your HD as read/write. Once that's done, type:

ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/

check the list of extension it output for presence of both you fakesmc.kext and that all kext have permissions of drwxr-xr-x

• Like 1

I will admit you lost me with GE=No

Do you mean as a flag like when you would input -x or -v etc? Or by pressing down and selecting Boot Single User?

Ok I'll give that a shot and report back. Thanks

OK, rather than ask you more questions. Lets find the answers :) You know how to boot single user using -s?

Here are the results from your suggestion

post-1136680-0-46022000-1364006047_thumb.jpg

* On this install only options that were selected were the Chameleon RC3 PCEFI 10.5 and Fakesmc

Well, you just type -s :P This should make booting stop at a command prompt. It will also say how to do file system check and then mount your HD as read/write. Once that's done, type:

ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/

check the list of extension it output for presence of both you fakesmc.kext and that all kext have permissions of drwxr-xr-x

Here are the results from your suggestion

IMG_6527.JPG

* On this install only options that were selected were the Chameleon RC3 PCEFI 10.5 and Fakesmc

Well, I mostly wanted to be sure FakeSMC was installed even with the error during install you had, which it is.... but I can also see in that kext list (which is only the bottom little bit that's visible since most the extensions start with letter A or I)

So in that small sample showing "some" of the installed extensions, I can see that there is more here than what you say was installed/chosen. (not just FakeSMC the Chameleon bootloader)

You have all these too that are not from Apple:

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (this i good though), RealtekR1000SL.kext in attempt to make ethernet work and for WIFI Intel82566M.kext. Then you also have the often buggy VoodooHDA.kext to have your audio be hacked. Sooo, this sure isn't a clean install with just bootloader and fakesmc! I've seen each once of those cause kernel panics before, particularly on older core 2 duos.

If you had run an installer on that drive earlier and chosen those extra kexts then, but not during a new reinstall. That is why. Unless you actually reformat/erase the partition first, the OSX installer will do an "Archive Install" instead of a true clean install since some people who install OSX on real mac are upgrading from earlier version or running Installer hoping to fix a problem with broken OSX but would wan't to loose all their data, so it basically just does like a really big ComboUpdate instead.

Luckily your not getting KP, so first try just entering this at chamelaon bootloader prompt.

-x -f -v GraphicsEnabler=No arch=i386

If it works, then try without -x included the next time.

If that doesn't work, run the installer again, but this time erase the partition with DiskUtility first! :)

Use same bootloader commands I gave but without -x on the new "clean" install for the first boot attempt to desktop.

Also when it's first starting to boot and verbose text is flying by, Try if you can see some text mentioning FakeSMC or netkas, if the text isn't moving by too fast, just to be sure it's loading.

From my understanding from the installer by default it installs these as noted in a few posts above. I only selected myself the two above (Bootloader and Fakesmc)

List of the kext's included in standard installation:
AHCIPortInjector
AppleACPIPS2Nub
AppleATIATA
AppleIntelGMA950 Fixed
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB Fixed
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer Fixed
AppleIntelPIIXATA
AppleNForceATA
ApplePS2Controller
AppleVIAATA
ATAPortInjector
AttansicL1eEthernet
Disabler
EvOreboot

Fakesmc

Intel82566MM
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
IOATAFamily Fixed
IOPCIFamily Fixed
JMicronATA Fixed
LegacyJMB36xSATA
nForceLAN
NullCPUPowerManagement
OpenHaltRestart
PlatformUUID
RealtekR1000SL
Sleepenabler
SuperNForceATA
SuperVIAATA
VoodooHDA
List of the Tools and Software included in standard installation:
AppCleaner
BetterZip
Colloquy
Disk Order
EFIStudio
IORegistryExplorer
Kext Utility
OSX86Tools
Pacifist
PPFMaster
Property List Editor
Smultron
StuffIt Expander
uTorrent

So far I see no way of unchecking these as there is no option for them in the installer.

Also I do format the drive each time that I attempt this that way its a clean install each time I apologize if I wasnt clear about that.

Something I just noticed it says that it installs FakeSmc in the standard installation perhaps if I dont select either in the DSMOS or Fakesmc in the extra options it will work. Although I think the reason I was experimenting with the other options because it gave me that Waiting on DSMOS error but I'll test to be sure

My hope would be that it only installs all that junk if you don't make any of your own choices and allow it to do a standard install, but if you choice customize option or uncheck the "standard" or "default" option it should not. (I'm not familiar with it's interface so don't know off hand what names it really uses for options or how the layout looks). Also see if any options indicate 32bit vs 64bit for anything including bootloader options. You'll need 32bit for GMA900, so should be using arch=i386 bootflag (the need to specify this is more of an issue with Lion over SL, but do it anyway). Also be sure smbios in included.

Heres what I have done the last day and took pictures to help illustrate after a format and clean install and only selecting the Chameleon bootloader PCEFI 10.5 option this is what I recieved with the flags used:

Attempt #1: -f -v

post-1136680-0-60814700-1364127921_thumb.jpg

Attempt #2: -v -x

post-1136680-0-38667900-1364127942_thumb.jpg

Attempt #3: -s

post-1136680-0-55753900-1364127944_thumb.jpg

Attempt #4: -x -f -v GraphicsEnabler=No arch=i386

post-1136680-0-71262500-1364127946_thumb.jpg

*Edit found a better picture of the installer options

post-1136680-0-16029600-1364303273_thumb.gif

So after taking a break I decided to keep at it and I found this on this site that deals with the waiting on dsmos issue

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278692-i-am-getting-stuck-at-waiting-for-dsmos-or-dsmos-has-arrived/

So I am going to see if I can go ahead and try the install again which I know will complete then try to find the new Fakesmc,kext and copy it to S/L/E either by using macdrive or find a terminal command to copy it from the thumb drive.

• 2 weeks later...

After being a few days away I attempted more work on this and made some headway so I was able to get the Dsmos error fixed I put a copy of FakeSMC in both the /E/E and S/L/E then I discovered that the dsmos.kext was totally missing. After finding one from my successful previous attempt and putting it in S/L/E I was able to get past the error. :thumbsup_anim:

Then I was presented with another error an panic error dealing with the apple.iokit.IOATAFamily kext I was able to figure that out by removing and updating the kext and got past that hurdle.

Now this is where I am stuck at

post-1136680-0-66172700-1365189769_thumb.jpg

It gets stuck here at: launchtl : Please Convert the following to launchd : /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

So far I have attempted basis on research

fsck -fy

mount -uw /

autodiskmount -va

diskutil repairPermissions /

and trying to use the DU on the install disk to repair the permissions but still to no avail.

Getting Closer I hope

:boxing:

•  

I have an idea I would like to try but need someone's help who has a copy of Snow Leopard installed on their pc already could you send me this file or folder

/etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

Obviously the version I have is not working and I have checked my install Cds but cant seem to find it I thinking if I replace that file it should bypass the error above right?

So after doing a bit more research I tried something different i was using the Chameleon 2.1 boot CD to boot into SL with the tags -x -v arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=No but I would get stuck at the error above. So what I did was change the boot cd, I tried both the ##### CD and the Nawcom Mod CD and below are the results.

*Note: The reason I am using the BootCD as I have Windows XP on the same drive with Macdrive so that I edit and change the files on the SL partition however when I installed SL it did not install the bootloader correctly so the PC boots into XP hence the use of the bootCds.

#####

This one pointed out a number of panic errors SleepEnabler and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement I removed the SleepEnabler and founded a updated version of CPUPower as if I removed it I recieved an error that it was missing. However even with that I would get stuck here.

post-1136680-0-24797900-1365601141_thumb.jpg

Nawmod BootCD

I didnt have any panic errors when using this method and whether i use the bootflags I mentioned above or not I get the same results. I noticed that using this method it gives some errors about the ktexts are blacklisted I can only assume since the installer adds these files on its own and the fact that I dont have any of the hardware for these kexts is the reason for the error.

post-1136680-0-40521600-1365601397_thumb.jpg

If you notice that its mentions the Intel950, Geoforce etc I have also removed what I found are ktext related to ATI video drivers so hopefully that will help. I'll report back on my findings.

Well after a long fight I was able to do it I installed Snow Leopard :thumbsup_anim:

post-1136680-0-76895300-1365724888_thumb.jpg

What I ended up doing was installing the Hazard 10.6 distro without any options then installing the Iatkos S3 v2 with a few options (i cant remember them atm) the installation didnt completed however the bar was full for about 3 hours before I finally quit the installer and decided hey why not try it. After getting stuck on Waiting for Dsmos again and knowing how to fix that I booted using the nawmod CD and without any tags and it booted.

Obviously this is a huge step in the right direction now I have to figure out:

Not Working:

Display / Graphics Card - GMA 900

Sound - SigmaTel STAC9200

CD Drive wont eject but reads the disc thats currently in the drive.

Working:

Ethernet

Wireless (using a Airlink Wireless Adapter)

ToiuchPad

Keyboard

Havent tired

Card Reader

Firewire

*dont really care about these maybe the card reader but have a usb I can use if all else fails

So for the Graphics Card

I found these threads

http://www.insanelym...1068-on-gma900/

http://www.insanelym...lip-on-leopard/

http://www.insanelym...ci-for-leopard/

So hopefully I'll be able to figure it out

Sound

I have heard that Voodoo works better than AppleHDA in my case with the SigmaTel STAC9200 which would be better to use?

I'll report my findings as I go .