[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

* * * * * 2 votes Dell 7720 17r SE Mountain Lion OSX86 Installation Retail Guide

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

kstephens98

kstephens98

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I finally got 10.10 installed. Once I get post installation I'll try to post up a guide. I used an unmetionable usb install so the guide might be lacking in some areas😉

karlamba

karlamba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Trash metall music (my band - ltno.pl), IT general, vmware technology, linux and hackintosh

I finally got 10.10 installed. Once I get post installation I'll try to post up a guide. I used an unmetionable usb install so the guide might be lacking in some areas

Well... any news here? ;)

karlamba

karlamba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Trash metall music (my band - ltno.pl), IT general, vmware technology, linux and hackintosh

Howk...

I have an update about fixing audio and ethernet on Mavericks 10.9.3.

I've tested few audio kexts and finally have working LineIn.

Also Ethernet is working at 100Mbit FD.

If anyone needs some details please let me know.

Cheers!

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:Software Engineering.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2. 

Had to start over again, so it took me a day or 2. 

I used Pandora's box v2 to create the installer. Kexts and Clover config attached. 

Rebuild the DSDT, all the bugs from before should be fixed, even sleep/wake works properly now. Attached the default DSDT, fixed DSDT (unpatched) and a patched DSDT. 

Quick summary of patches:

Spoiler

Also the AppleHDA for 10.10.2, layout-id 3 is used.

I'll update the main post somewhere this week.

Edit: Noticed when installing the Realtek driver, wake will break.

Attached Files

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

Small update, files have been attached to the first post. 

post-1090626-0-77237800-1423836141.png

Attached Files

karlamba

karlamba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hi LexHimself,

Would you be able to check/test this AppleHDA.kext with your config please? I've tested it with my configuration and even LineIn works but...

http://www.hackintos...bxx-nesletaemy/

...the only problem which I've found is with Apple Logix Pro X where if I will play tracks then after around minute the should stops working and you have to reset audio at all to get it back in the OS.

The error is like this:

Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI

Sample Rate of 42557 recognized.

Check conflict between Logic X and external device

Please let me know at least if you have tested it because maybe it has no sense to use this kext at all...

PS - I'm glad you are back as your work was really great with bringing a hackintosh to Dell Inspiron 7720. Thx man!

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

Hi LexHimself,

Would you be able to check/test this AppleHDA.kext with your config please? I've tested it with my configuration and even LineIn works but...

http://www.hackintos...bxx-nesletaemy/

...the only problem which I've found is with Apple Logix Pro X where if I will play tracks then after around minute the should stops working and you have to reset audio at all to get it back in the OS.

The error is like this:

Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI

Sample Rate of 42557 recognized.

Check conflict between Logic X and external device

Please let me know at least if you have tested it because maybe it has no sense to use this kext at all...

PS - I'm glad you are back as your work was really great with bringing a hackintosh to Dell Inspiron 7720. Thx man!

Hi,

When first testing Yosemite, i also used an older AppleHDA, which did not behave as it should, so i patched a new one with my old layout.

The AppleHDA is from Mavericks if i'm correct? 

I was using the layout for that one already with a patched AppleHDA from 10.10.2. Only correction i have made to the Platform.xml was to enable the internal mic, since it was not detected.

I'm not able to test if the LineIn works, since i do not have an external microphone, but it should in theory.

Had to install Logic X. Seems i'm unable to reproduce the error. What version of OS X are you on? 

Attached my current AppleHDA.

Attached Files

karlamba

karlamba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Hi,

Yes indeed. The AppleHDA.kext is from your old Hackintosh for Dell Inspiron 7720 guide (I think it is 10.8.1 and next patches of 10.8...).

I is working very vell also with Mavericks (actually 10.9.3) but... as I've mentioned there is an error in Logic Pro X and I see that also the LineIn Input is not working correctly as it is not detected if you will plug in the jack there. I've tested some other AppleHDA kexts and I've found this mentioned from my last post which is actually created for exactly Mavericks. With this kext when you plug in any jack into LineIn then you can see in the audio preferences that this was recognized and not you are using the LineIn instead the build in Mic.

So my ask for you is to check what happens if you will plug in some jack into Line In/Mic socket - if your Yosemite will recognize this and change the status that you are using now the external Mic/LineIn instead of internal Mic?

Thx for your answer... I don't have time right now to install Yosemite but I will try to check it soon.

PS - do you have the ethernet working with 100Mbit/s full duplex speed? I'm really not sure how but in my Mavericks 10.9.3 it is working at full speed with oryginal Realtec driver.

Cheers!

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

When i plug in any jack, nothing changes in preferences, so i guess the line in is not working as intended, although specified in the AppleHDA. Would have to look in to this again.

Perhaps you can patch the vanilla AppleHDA from the OSX version your installing with AppleHDA patcher from Mirone? (Files Attached)

I have the official ethernet kext from Realtek installed, it is recognized, but also unable to test due to lack of an ethernet cable. I should be able to test this tomorrow when i go visit someone. 

Attached Files

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

For ethernet use the following kext: http://www.insanelym...rtl8100-binary/

Did not test a direct connection with the modem, but i can share my wifi connection using this kext. 

FinalByte

FinalByte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Please....How Can I download Attachments???

Thanks.

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

Board is messed up atm.

All i could find on the old HDD.

Attached Files

styrian

styrian

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

@FinalByte

Hello!

The attachments are save, but some time is being needed to restore  and add them back.

Have fun.

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.
@LexHimself

Why doesn't 2 finger scroll work?

What touchpad does it have?

Assuming it's elantech as the 5520, have you tried this driver: http://forum.osxlati...driver-mac-os-x

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

@LexHimself

Why doesn't 2 finger scroll work?

What touchpad does it have?

Assuming it's elantech as the 5520, have you tried this driver: http://forum.osxlati...driver-mac-os-x

Hi,

Well, it was never supported in Windows, and did not work in Linux (Or i did not test it enough). 

My system is disassembled, well, currently assembled to do some tests on Optimus, but not usable as you can see in the picture. 

The touchpad is ALPS. 

Attached File  11009195_1581275278798305_1614754766859292514_n.jpg   129.38KB   0 downloads

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.

Hi,

Well, it was never supported in Windows, and did not work in Linux (Or i did not test it enough). 
My system is disassembled, well, currently assembled to do some tests on Optimus, but not usable as you can see in the picture. 

The touchpad is ALPS. 

attachicon.gif11009195_1581275278798305_1614754766859292514_n.jpg

Ahh, well thanks for the info!!

ALPS touchpads are generally horrible. You should at least have 2 finger scroll in Windows by installing the driver from Dell's site!!

As for OS X, ALPS drivers are really under maintained. If you would like, try this driver from the 5110 thread: http://www.insanelym...5110/?p=2133578

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

ALPS touchpads are generally horrible. You should at least have 2 finger scroll in Windows by installing the driver from Dell's site!!

As for OS X, ALPS drivers are really under maintained. If you would like, try this driver from the 5110 thread: http://www.insanelym...5110/?p=2133578

I'll connect the touchpad tomorrow to do some tests. About to go out :)

The last ALPS touchpad i had 2 finger scrolling on, was on 10.5, with a driver from phb, based on FFScroll: http://www.insanelym...ger-scroll-etc/

Think it was a Toshiba Satellite 110-225.

Anyway, i'll let you know what the results are somewhere tomorrow.

LexHimself

LexHimself

InsanelyMac Deity

• Donators
  • 1,626 posts

The VoodooPS2Controller breaks both, touchpad and keyboard. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell, 7720, 17r SE, Mountain, Lion, OSX86, Installation, Retail, Guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy