[Build Log] Shifty G5/mATX Conversion

shiftysamurai

136 posts in this topic

Update #38 -

Bad News: Bought a TX750 that I couldn't really afford.

Bad News 2: Still get the crashes.

Good News: I can take the TX750 back?

Good News 2: I like the look of the modular better?

Today's Lesson: My computer is the devil and I can't figure this out.

If you say that sometimes you got shocked by your case (which you shouldn't because that means that the stuff inside is also exposed to this static electricity), I would think about removing everything from the case and set it up on your desk, on a non-conductive surface (for example the package of your motherboard.) That way ground is fine. This might be a bit of a hassle, but at some stage it's worth a try.

• Like 1

I had a TX750M, it was hardly modular and had awful grinding noises whenever the load was such that the fan couldn't decide whether to spin or not (which was the majority of the time)

After 2 replacements, they sent me out an AX760 and all has been well since!

TL;DR - Don't get a TX Corsair PSU

Brought my PC to work. After 4 days of looking into the problem the IT department has decided that it "must be software based" even though it occasionally crashes on the BIOS screen.

your IT department needs to be fired. How can it be software when the same software works on other hardware, and you have done several clean installs?

so if a different PSU didn't fix it, I guess the CPU is the last part left un-swapped correct? very funky but a CPU is a very complicated piece and just one micron off in the die and you can get unexpected consequences. The price we pay for 'semi-conductors'.

also, the idea of a proper bench test that was put forth earlier is also a good one...

When you say "crashes at the BIOS screen," what do you mean by crash? Is the machine resetting, turning off, something else?

I would agree with Mr. D., you're issue could very well be the CPU.

As far as the static discharge from the case, it likely means your front panel (power button, USB/Firewire) is not properly grounded. This is well documented with Antec cases, and the design and front panel wiring was updated in production so the issue doesn't happen anymore.

Well, I have what MIGHT be good news.

One of my coworkers, upon hearing my problem, says: "Man, I hate G.Skill. I'm not surprised you're having problems. The last set I had was full of s#%t about the voltage".

After that I bumped MY G.Skill RAM from 1.25v to 1.50v. Not yet had any more problems after hours of testing. I guess my 20+/hr Memtest wasn't stressing it enough?

Most likely picking up some low-profile Corsair RAM next week, and will probably not go with G.Skill again.

Anyhow, random comment made in passing seems to have save the day. :D

I find that funny because my previous desktop only has GSkill RAM in it, and it never had a single issue. I'd be more inclined to recognize an issue if the motherboard has a different voltage listed on the RAM slots than what the RAM is spec'd for.

Even if you get new RAM, check the voltages, it may be all voltage and your current RAM could be fine.

It's weird, because the packaging, and even the listing on NewEgg says "this memory must use 1.25" and that voltage didn't work for me during certain situations.

I've not yet (knock on wood) had another freeze or lockup by using 20% more power than spec'd.

Now I can continue with the finishing of this mod!

Super special thanks to Mr. D, he did what he could to save my bacon, helluva guy.

• 1 year later...

Time Warp!

Have the MacPro all finished up and it has been sitting beside my entertainment center for the past year acting as gaming rig, Twitch streaming station, house-wide media server, and DAMNED COOL case. I seriously want to thank everyone who had a hand in helping me with this. From the people who wrote extensive info on how it could be done, to the guys who wrote extensive help when I ran into issues. I could not be happier to have completed this.

• 2 months later...

Mini Update: Got the front panel board in today. Had a few slight issues.

1. RF shielding was bent, making installation a bit awkward.

2. The screws that I took out of my machine wouldn't fit in the spaces on the FPB. Luckily the seller included ONE of them, Need to take it to the hardware store and find another one.

3. Plugging in the power button required tweezers (for me). Would probably be better/easier without the RF shielding, but I wanted to make sure that the ONE USB on the front panel would work as well as possible.

Other than that, it wasn't too bad. A bit more than I anticipated for what I assumed would be one of the easy parts, but all I underestimated was the time that would be involved in making sure it was done correctly.

From the Outside.

EE9jYv5.jpg

From the Inside:

Vd2jj5L.jpg

I spent a bit of time refitting/adjusting the shielding to the FPB, It's not perfect, but I think that if I keep manipulating it, I'll just end up making it worse.

I'm not going for an over the top mod. No LEDs on the inside, no windows. I want people to question whether anything was even done when it is finished, and that's going to take a lot of time and attention to the little details. That's also the reason why I ordered one of BlackCH's FPB to ATX adapters, from what I can tell (and what I have heard from users here) they are a much better quality than what I would ever be able to do.

Also, I have quite a few parts that I will not be using left over from my tear-down. Because you guys have been an awesome help, I'll give (for FREE) people any parts that I have left over that they need, if they want to pay shipping. Sadly, I can not guarantee that the parts will work as I haven't been able to test them. :(

They haven't been cleaned, either. Anyhow, this is what I've got.

DVdbwRp.jpgkHcdBLD.jpgLgRe6ix.jpg

rl9EEzE.jpgsEozJU5.jpgvTCtcQW.jpg

QEMQnFS.jpgDWGIm4q.jpgi3O4uDL.jpg

I am looking at reusing the HDD bays. Not sure if it will work how I want it to, but let me know if you need any of the things pictured above (or if you think I will need them later in the build).

EDIT: Damn. I spent a bit of time using editing the size of those pictures inside of the post, and now they are all their default size. Sorry about that.

Hi shiftysamurai,

When it comes to the overall look (in and out) and how smartly adapt to the initial design of the G5 case, your pictures seems to show some good work. :wink_anim:

Niko-Studio